Has Pakistan exported Al-Khalid MBT?

umair

Peace Enforcer
mysterious said:
Well obviously, cuz China's MBT operational terrain is different than Pakistan's!
Right!
Terraine Pakistan: soft sandy desset in Sindh and Southern Punjab to moderately hilly plains in central Punjab.( where most probably any armour battles wil take place)
Terraine China: marshy swampy areas around the Formossa Straits and Taiwan.

mysterious

Havent been all over Punjab but heard from a lot of people that it is marshy a bit in the lower lying areas towards the border. But then again, could be a hoax!

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
if bangladesh is thinking of grounding its Air Force than they would probably be thinking about incresing ground defence as a substitute. I think because of this Bangladesh would be interested in Tanks & who can provide them world class tanks at cheap rate other than Pakistan. AK Tank is ideal for them and other Asian countries.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Both Pakistan and Bangladesh need to build bridges between them and what could be better way to build bridges than trade and cooperating in helping each other's economies grow.

:banglade: :pak

Roger Smith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WebMaster said:
Both Pakistan and Bangladesh need to build bridges between them and what could be better way to build bridges than trade and cooperating in helping each other's economies grow.

:banglade: :pak

I thoroughly agree to WM aforementioned statement, all countries should live in peace and harmony. :smokingc:

Revival_786

Agreed with WebMaster ;)

Is the terrain really that different in Pakistan and China? The AK can go into water etc. and would its tracks, machinery, etc. be really that different that it couldn't operate as well in swamps than on hills/deserts? :)

btw Indus - I like your "Omnipresent" line lol

saraab

i dont think the exports have been made as yet. Because as some of you might remember, pakistan army odered about 300 some time back.I dont think those have been dilivered completely.

Although there MAY be some orders placed by Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh etc.

asif_dhaka

I dont think that Bangladesh is gonna acquire any tanks in the immediate future......unless they are given at a really cheap rate. There are just too many rivers for tanks to be effectively used in Bangladesh. The only reason why Bangladesh military shows interest in buying stuff is for political reasons. And the comment bout airforce planes being grounded due to lack of fuel is not exactly true....while bangladesh may be a poor country, it does have the money to keep its airforce running to some degree....plus i live beside Dacca airport and i c the Mig-29s fly low over my house all the time. :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ex-Russian tanks aren't exactly expensive at the moment. Complete T-72's are on the market for USD $50k. They'd almost give them away.

Roger Smith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
gf0012 said:
ex-Russian tanks aren't exactly expensive at the moment. Complete T-72's are on the market for USD $50k. They'd almost give them away.
I know ex-Russian tanks are reasonable priced, but US$ 50k is quite reasonable. I assume the price quoted is just for the tank in running condition and without any frill. :?

GF002, I must say............you have great knowledge on military aspects. :smokingc:

Thank mate! ;)

Maruf

Dear members,

Bangladesh has never shown any interest in Al khalid recently. But the govt. is in the process of buying 48 modern tanks with 125mm guns this year. Initially the govt. has allocated $100ml for the project but the allocation could reach more than that after the final deal is signed. Tanks from South Korea, China, Ukraine, Germany, and Russia are being evaluated. These tanks will be stationed in the northern part of Bangladesh, which is by the way, the most suitable ground for tank battle.

The above report was in the following Bengali newspapers:

www.jugantor.com

The specific issue where the news was published may be found by looking in the archive section.

The govt. has recently made public its purchase plan for the navy. The link is as follows:

[Admin: Read the rules, no link to other forums of any sort. If you have a news article related to this please post it with its original source. Thank you! ]

adsH

Maruf said:
Dear members,

Bangladesh has never shown any interest in Al khalid recently. But the govt. is in the process of buying 48 modern tanks with 125mm guns this year. Initially the govt. has allocated $100ml for the project but the allocation could reach more than that after the final deal is signed. Tanks from South Korea, China, Ukraine, Germany, and Russia are being evaluated. These tanks will be stationed in the northern part of Bangladesh, which is by the way, the most suitable ground for tank battle.

The above report was in the following Bengali newspapers:

www.jugantor.com

The specific issue where the news was published may be found by looking in the archive section.

The govt. has recently made public its purchase plan for the navy. The link is as follows:

YEah thats realy great, if the Bengalis don't think the Al khalid is up to there standards then who are the pakistanis to debate that. the fact is the Alkhalids are the same thing as the chinese an ukraine tanks the Tank was built in a consortium. and naval vessel i think pakistan subs would be too expensive for Bangladesh old russian subs would be more reasonable its not only the initial cost the entire maintainace repair cost of the subs and surface ships. the augusta 90 B are abit too much for the needs of Bangladesh navy. while the guided missile boats and now the frigates will be built in pakistan i think the Pakistanis are too busy building there own ships for there needs!!

Winter

adsH said:
YEah thats realy great, if the Bengalis don't think the Al khalid is up to there standards then who are the pakistanis to debate that. the fact is the Alkhalids are the same thing as the chinese an ukraine tanks the Tank was built in a consortium. and naval vessel i think pakistan subs would be too expensive for Bangladesh old russian subs would be more reasonable its not only the initial cost the entire maintainace repair cost of the subs and surface ships. the augusta 90 B are abit too much for the needs of Bangladesh navy. while the guided missile boats and now the frigates will be built in pakistan i think the Pakistanis are too busy building there own ships for there needs!!
:?

I thought maintanence of Russian hardware and equipment, such as vessels was particularly stressful in that regard...

Is Pakistani naval shipbuilding capacity really at a full production level, just enough to cater for domestic needs?

I don't think Bangladesh would seriously be looking at a new submarine force...It is expensive and unnecessary. Surely the surface fleet is sufficient? In the slightest (stressed) chance of Bangladesh actually procuring new submarines, it would be two or three of the export Kilo-class. Failing that, either Agostas, most likely from Pakistan or an item like the Dutch Walrus, should they be decommisioned a decade down the line. But the whole scenario is unlikely.

mysterious

Some 'sensible' soul tell me as to why "Bangladesh"needs high-tech tanks and naval vessels?!?!?! Who are they building up their defense against? Not to sound rude or something but from the statistics and analysis that I have read, if any of Bangladesh's neighbours wanted to attack it, it would be a walk-over for them. Bangladesh should rather use its meagre resources to fuel up prosperity among the population! The country is so vulnerable to floods and storms every year that I have a hard time thinking as to when do people get to take a break from these kinda hardships of life over there?!?!? :? And militarily, they should just concentrate on keeping a good internal force that is capable of countering internal security threats and help protect the country's borders. Thats about it. :smokingc:

adsH

mysterious said:
Some 'sensible' soul tell me as to why "Bangladesh"needs high-tech tanks and naval vessels?!?!?! Who are they building up their defense against? Not to sound rude or something but from the statistics and analysis that I have read, if any of Bangladesh's neighbours wanted to attack it, it would be a walk-over for them. Bangladesh should rather use its meagre resources to fuel up prosperity among the population! The country is so vulnerable to floods and storms every year that I have a hard time thinking as to when do people get to take a break from these kinda hardships of life over there?!?!? :? And militarily, they should just concentrate on keeping a good internal force that is capable of countering internal security threats and help protect the country's borders. Thats about it. :smokingc:
yeah thats what i thought Bangladesh does not need that sort of armaments but it is always a good idea for any country to be defensively ready. Even if the bengalis were looking for pak surface ships they would not be able to get them i think with new chinese TOT Frigates contract and other local contract, there limited dry docks would have there hand full of work!!

BruteGorilla

AFIK, AL Khalid Project is in trouble. They have no supliers for Powerpacks (mired in a court case). Ukranians haven't suplied engines etc. Some of the pre production tanks are in service. Also purchasing T-82's (Not T-84 Pakistan dosen't have it) have dried up funding sources.

umair

Peace Enforcer
AFIK, AL Khalid Project is in trouble. They have no supliers for Powerpacks (mired in a court case). Ukranians haven't suplied engines etc. Some of the pre production tanks are in service. Also purchasing T-82's (Not T-84 Pakistan dosen't have it) have dried up funding sources.
Research before posting! AK is not in trouble, no dried up funds, another batch of T-84sarrived a few months ago(numbering about 250-300) at Karachi,T-82 license produced by HIT.We actually don't exactly go about announcing our procurements.