Has Pakistan exported Al-Khalid MBT?

The Watcher

Al-Khalid sets new world record

By Our Defence Correspondent

ISLAMABAD—A 23-member Royal Saudi Land Forces evaluation team headed by Maj Gen Ahmed Bin Saeed Al-Shehri visited Pakistan for evaluation of indigenously manufactured products of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT).

The evaluation team was warmly welcomed by the Chairman HIT, who gave them an exhaustive briefing on the capability of HIT and its potential for marketing sophisticated weapon systems suiting the dictates of modern warfare.

The Saudi team showed keen interest in state-of-the-art and pride of Pakistan Armour, Al-Khalid tank and APC Saad, and carried out intensive in-house technical evaluation and trials.

During the arduous trials under most inhospitable environments, the roaring Al-Khalid, a marvel of tank technology performed astoundingly well.

It is for the first time that a Main Battle tank (Al-Khalid) attained 100% hits at a distance of 4,000 meters and set an unprecedented record in tank technology. Al-Khalid also fired while moving, on a moving target at various ranges upto a distance of 3,000 meters and achieved 100% results.

The lethality and accuracy of the weapon stations of Al-Khalid, its high power to weight ratio and manoeuvrability demonstrated in the most hostile terrain speaks volumes of its agility and combat capability to challenge any tank of the world. Saudi Master Gunner, Subedar Major Yahya Bin Ahmed Atif achieved the rare feat of hitting a bulls eye at extreme ranges with 100% accuracy and achieved record firing results with a few days training only, indicative of user friendliness of Tank Al-Khalid.

The delegation was highly impressed with the performance of tank Al-Khalid and APC Saad during arduous trials. The new generation, APC Saad of Pakistan Armed forces has also been totally manufactured in Pakistan with a vision to meet the demands of 21st century battlefield.
Pakistan is rightfully proud of its engineers and technicians who envisioned, designed and manufactured such combat multipliers, giving its Armed Forces the power punch and capability to face any challenge to its national security.

-Source: Dawn/Jang

Soldier, it doesn't take same amount of money to maintain fighter jets and Tanks. I am sure Bangladesh can afford tanks and many Bengladesis want to see this tank in their armed forces.

dabrownguy

Al-Khalid sets new world record

By Our Defence Correspondent

It is for the first time that a Main Battle tank (Al-Khalid) attained 100% hits at a distance of 4,000 meters and set an unprecedented record in tank technology. Al-Khalid also fired while moving, on a moving target at various ranges upto a distance of 3,000 meters and achieved 100% results.
The Al-Khalid I though broke a world record but it was its own record so this is useless. I still doubt this tank which is a hype much like the US patriot missile defence system. :(

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
As has happened with a navy ship, the Saoudi's could fund the purchase of tanks from Pakistan for Bangladesh, particularly if Pakistan were to provide some kind of discount to Bangladesh. :idea2

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
The Al-Khalid I though broke a world record but it was its own record so this is useless. I still doubt this tank which is a hype much like the US patriot missile defence system.
What???? :? :?
It's the first time that an MBT has broken that record. The Al-Khalid in the brackets shows that it's the Al-Khalid they are talking about.

mysterious

dabrownguy, if you read the posts and evidence given by other members carefully, it would clear your mind of any doubts about Al-Khalid's capabilities and features. Its not about what you "think" it is, its about what "is" there in front of u to analyse and put up a strong argument against. :cop

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Clearly sad attempt by dabrownguy to flame this thread. Grow up guys and read the posts carefully!

Roger Smith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sometime back, I read in the media that Bangladesh was showing interest in Al-Khalid MBT.

The best way to promote the sale of these MBT are;
1) For promotion give away 10 to 20 tanks foc and make them dependent on it.
2) Slash price to compete against Chinese T-59 and other models. Chinese prices vary on political ground, so it is hard to compete against them.
3) Sale force must be aggressive with kick-back and commissions in mind.

That is my thoery to promote the sale of MBT.

mysterious

I dont think Pak. will lower its MBT prices to compete with Chinese MBT exports. Pak and China dont tend to cut each other's share in such things as far as I've seen. Plus, I dont think Pakistan is dying for Bangladeshi love to give away 10-20 tanks to them for no cost. Any arguements and comments are welcome :smokingc:

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
I dont think Pak. will lower its MBT prices to compete with Chinese MBT exports. Pak and China dont tend to cut each other's share in such things as far as I've seen. Plus, I dont think Pakistan is dying for Bangladeshi love to give away 10-20 tanks to them for no cost. Any arguements and comments are welcome :smokingc:

You do not know China, they dump their stuff so cheap in African countries. During Iran and Iraq war, China was the only country supplying tanks to both countries Iran and Iraq. Chinese policy is to dump their products at any cost and work into the country politically.

Pakistan has a good chance to sell Al-Khalid MBT in many Muslim countries, but it has to be flexible on the price factor.

mysterious

I didnt say anything about China dumping or not. I said, Pak. and China will try and avoid any disagreement over weapons trade as to who sells what to whom. That kinda thing! :smokingc:

The Watcher

Countries will buy Al-Khalid based on its performance and will pay the price Pakistan asks. Would India drop Arjun's price by 20-40 % (below cost) when it comes into production just so that it can sell it to other countries? I don't think so. Al-Khalid wasn't really in service or in full production few years ago and some countries were talking about acquiring some. The tank proved its self on trial grounds and will also prove during combat.

:pak

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
I didnt say anything about China dumping or not. I said, Pak. and China will try and avoid any disagreement over weapons trade as to who sells what to whom. That kinda thing! :smokingc:
Arms trading is a cut throat business and too much competition with alot of kick back or commission to the middle man or agent. To be a gentleman in this business is having no business. :smokingc:

Roger Smith

The Watcher said:
Countries will buy Al-Khalid based on its performance and will pay the price Pakistan asks. Would India drop Arjun's price by 20-40 % (below cost) when it comes into production just so that it can sell it to other countries? I don't think so. Al-Khalid wasn't really in service or in full production few years ago and some countries were talking about acquiring some. The tank proved its self on trial grounds and will also prove during combat.

:uk
I do not think India intention is to export their Arjun MBT, it is meant for their own military consumption or need.

Lately, India has entered in exporting arms by obtaining orders for ALH Dhruv from Nepal and USA. :smokingc:

ullu

Al-Khalid tank to be offered for sale

KARACHI: Pakistan would showcase indigenously built Al-Khalid Tank for sale in the upcoming third IDEAS - International Defense Exhibition and Seminars - scheduled in September 2004.

"The tank has been handed over to Pakistan Army. So we can offer to sell by IDEAS event," Major General Syed Ali Hamid, Director General Defense Export Promotion Organisation told newsmen after chairing IDEAS Steering Committee meeting at a local hotel.

"Al-Khalid is country’s indigenous product and meets all international standards. It would definitely attract foreign buyers," he added.

DEPO Chief disclosed the organisation also planned to sell JF-17 Thunder - the indigenously produced fighter aircraft - by 2006.

"We believe due to its cost effectiveness, excellent operational capabilities, combat potential and many more advantages it would attract potential buyers internationally," Gen Hamid added.

He said after completion of flight-testing and weapons qualifications, initially a small batch of JF-17 aircraft would be produced in the first quarter of 2006.

"Regular serial production would start immediately after the completion of small batch production in small year," he elaborated.

DG DEPO claimed the country’s defense products export had crossed US$100 million mark and hoped: "It would go further up in years to come."

He said the IDEAS 2004 would help the DEPO in exploring new markets for Pak defense products.

"We are actually focussing third world countries as they have been potential buyers of our products," he said.

The third IDEAS is scheduled from September 14 to 17 at Karachi Expo Centre. The event designed after each two years, last held in September 2002.

Asim Siddiquee, Chief of Pegasus Consultacy - organisers of the event - said delegates from 65 countries were due to attend the IDEAS 2004 and over 100 local and foreign firms would showcase their defense products.

He said the high turnout of the official delegations at IDEAS 2002 not only reaffirmed the significance of the event itself, but it also highlighted Pakistan’s pivotal role as the centre point for interaction between the world leaders, especially from Asia, Africa and Middle East.

Earlier, at the meeting high officials from all the three armed forces, ministries of defence, foreign affairs, commerce and city government attended the meeting.
http://jang.com.pk/thenews/

So there you go peeps. ;)

mysterious

Thnx ullu. That was very informative. That should clear the mind off the doubts if Al-Khalid's been exported or not. :smokingc:

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
Thnx ullu. That was very informative. That should clear the mind off the doubts if Al-Khalid's been exported or not. :smokingc:
Now, we have to wait till September, 2004 to know the outcome of export! :smokingc:

The Watcher

China has its own requirements and pakistan has its own. T-98 may have some abilities not found in alkhalid, alkhalid may have some which are not found in t98. ;)