Hamas-Israeli War 2023

Larry_L

My take on what is going on. Some is speculation.
Hamas announces they have accepted a cease fire deal. People in Gaza are ecstatic. Israel was not even at the negotiations so no deal.
The US announces a token halt on some arms shipments to Israel.
Israel carefully puts pressure on Hamas in Rafah.
Hamas soft power speaks loud worldwide while terrorists hide behind hostages and civilians.

Big_Zucchini

My take on what is going on. Some is speculation.
Hamas announces they have accepted a cease fire deal. People in Gaza are ecstatic. Israel was not even at the negotiations so no deal.
The US announces a token halt on some arms shipments to Israel.
Israel carefully puts pressure on Hamas in Rafah.
Hamas soft power speaks loud worldwide while terrorists hide behind hostages and civilians.

There seems to be some disagreement between the US and Israel on Rafah but as it turns out in internal Israeli public debates and something I partially believe in - it's more a Biden-Netanyahu thing than a US-Israel thing.
There's the narrative that Biden thinks Netanyahu is exploiting aspects of the war for political gain, or survival, which definitely sounds like him. But I personally also believe that it's not really possible to truly conclude this war without taking over at least the Philadelphi corridor (Gaza-Egypt border) and set up a buffer zone into Gaza, to put a halt to arms smuggling from Sinai into Gaza.
There's much to speculate about here, but one thing seems pretty certain to me - Biden's decisions are actually raising Netanyahu's popularity.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not aimed at anyone in particular.

Hamas are an Iranian backed terrorist organisation who committed a despicable attack on Israel and as a result should reap what they sow. However, that does not give Israel the right to commit a policy of unrestricted warfare against a civilian population. There have also been allegations of war crimes being committed by both sides.

There are some posts which have got personal. That is not acceptable, and everyone knows that. If you want to get personal take it elsewhere. Don't do it on here.

Politics appear to be creeping into the discussion. We all know that is against the rules.

Be polite with each other and obey the rules.

Ngatimozart.

Big_Zucchini

Remember when the IDF said its investigation into the WCK found the strike coordinators thought there were Hamas terrorists in the convoy?

Well...

The WCK trucks are similar to the one seen at around 0:25 in the video. White unmarked pickup trucks, on which a logo is often glued.
I don't think I even need to mention the massive employment of perfidy in this conflict.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

Just wondering what Indonesian Indomie instant noodles being blame as support to Hamas. Pro Palestine is not same with Pro Hamas, no matter some try to portrait that.
They aren't protesting the supply of arms to Hamas, but aid to Gaza. In their worldview the Palestinians want to destroy them and shouldn't be rewarded for it. Basically FAFO in a wider sense.

Some say they're there as a show, as their political representatives are in the government serving as ministers, including ministry of defense, ministry of national security, and cabinet presence as well. The same narrative alleges they are sent by the government to show "our supporters oppose aid".
This is important because cutting off aid is more popular in Israel than just this fringe group (referred to in Israel as "religious nationalists" or "datal" in hebrew).

Another narrative is these are ordinary people that are allowed to vent, while police is ill equipped to handle such protests on a regular basis.

Fact is there are more trucks entering Gaza every day, or waiting to enter due to clogged terminals, than what is actually distributed (UNRWA's responsibility). Israel was recently requested to slow down aid shipments. All in all, these have no effect whatsoever.

Big_Zucchini

The 36th and 162nd divisions, as well as the Nahal brigade - are the ones to watch in the coming operations across Gaza and elsewhere.
The 36th and 162nd are the IDF's main breakthrough divisions and are armor-heavy.
The Nahal on the other hand is an infantry brigade uniquely equipped with fast, well armored, and modern Eitan APCs allowing them unique flexibility and capability for raids. These vehicles were used extensively for medevac, starred in one rescue op, and have been highly appreciated by everyone for the mobility they bring.

koxinga

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IDF have a clear idea on what they want to do and achieve for Rafah in military terms. But the civilians evidently don't know exactly what they want for the "day-after".

And I have a suspicion that this vaccum / uncertainty is causing a delay in IDF's military execution.

Hence Gallant's comments might well be striking home (hence the reaction)

Big_Zucchini

Another episode with the ICJ begins as some expect the ICJ to issue an order to halt the war in Gaza. Yet an international court is only as authoritative as it is credible.
Today the ICJ took a hit to its credibility, which it can only restore by having the newly appointed president of the ICJ recuse himself from the Israel - South Africa case.

Israeli observation aerostat system "Sky Dew" was disabled by a Hezbollah drone. Such systems were predictably not survivable beyond peacetime, however it does raise questions about Israel's ability to shoot down lower class UAS that typical missile-based VSHORAD are not optimized for.
An American aerostat was reportedly downed yesterday in eastern Syria.

This is widely seen in Israel as an attempt to blind the IDF ahead of intensifying attacks, particularly via cruise missiles.