Great Commanders in History

Status
Not open for further replies.

veronius

Re: Great Commanders

driftder said:
really....I fail to understand how executing tired, combat weary soldiers help to boost morale or instill bravery to fight harder. perhaps those who order such executions should be given infantry gear and lead by example in the face of the enemy's fires? preferably leading a frontal assault at bayonet point against a hardened position?

pardon my sarcasm but sometimes such stupidity really get me going.
It's stupid, cruel and shortsighted - hardly the first time such things have happened in the military!

Berserk Fury

veronius said:
It's stupid, cruel and shortsighted - hardly the first time such things have happened in the military!
really....I fail to understand how executing tired, combat weary soldiers help to boost morale or instill bravery to fight harder. perhaps those who order such executions should be given infantry gear and lead by example in the face of the enemy's fires? preferably leading a frontal assault at bayonet point against a hardened position?

pardon my sarcasm but sometimes such stupidity really get me going.
Personally, I think you've either got it all wrong or your choice of words is wrong. Executing soldiers doesn't boost moral or make them braver or fight harder. When your life is on the line, your ultimate potential is unleashed; though this may sound cruel, it's unfortunately true. If you want to be honorable, not be remembered as a traitor, and your superior is threatening to kill you, you have no choice but to engage the enemy with as much force as you can muster in hopes of NOT being executed. In other words, it forces them to fight hard.
If it's an emergency and you need to reach a short-term goal, this would be the way to go if you're cruel enough.
Long term wise, it's a stupid concept.
Officers most always look after their command, and, in this world, they don't kill their own soldiers unless the troops belong to a theocratic country etc.

correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't read this whole post.

Temoor_A

Alexander - The Great has been the best commander in the human history of warfare.

His accomplishments are un-believable!

- Crushing defeat to Asian Super-empire "Babylon".
- Forming an Empire that united EAST with the WEST.
- Capture of a City based on Mediterranean Sea (that was considered to be un-conquerable)
- One of the largest conquests achieved by a single man.

Apart from him some other great commanders include:

- Genghis Khan
- Saladin
- Rommel
- Patton
- Martial Zhukov
- Napolean

mysterious

If you ask me Alexander was a great commander but I find it extremely hard to negotiate with this 'myth' of him being 'great' (there the suffix to his name). There was 'nothing' great about him. His personal character would cause many respectable and chivalric commanders like Saladin quite a bit of embarassment.

I'll be posting an article shortly as to why Alexander was just Alexander and not 'great'.

agni 2

In 975, Arabs introduce modern arithmetical notation to Europeans, making calculations much easier than they had been with Roman numerals. (has any one seen the Movie the 13th Warrior).

excusme the modern arithemetical notions were developed by indian not arabs and even newton also agrees or is it einstein

kostas-zochios

I believe the most important commander of al time was alexander the great. In a few years he crushed and concured the largest empire in the world (persia). His conquest was described by many as an "armed exploration", because he wanted to get to the "great eastern sea" and he explored the coasts of the indian ocean. (He didnt know how far the pacific was from him :D ) Unfortunately, Alexender was only a military commander, because he didn't live long enough to govern his new lands.

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
Charles XII (12th)
Defeated Denmark-Norway and Saxony-Poland during the first years of the Great Nothern War (1700-1721) with brilliant tactics and excellent strategies.

General Zjukov
Succesfully defended Moscow and started a really succesfull campaign to crush the "wehrmacht".

Rommel, Montgomery, Wellington

long live usa

rattmuff said:
Charles XII (12th)
Defeated Denmark-Norway and Saxony-Poland during the first years of the Great Nothern War (1700-1721) with brilliant tactics and excellent strategies.

General Zjukov
Succesfully defended Moscow and started a really succesfull campaign to crush the "wehrmacht".

Rommel, Montgomery, Wellington
zhukov?well....he did not really defend moscow autum rains and cold weather did,he then used this to his advantage launching winter counter atacks with troops that had cold weather gear then simply threw huge amounts of men at the germans along a broad front,i agree with you on rommel and wellington but montgomery?his plans for the western front were indeed bold and he wanted to end the war sooner but market garden was a big failure
manstein was a great military commander he was able to recapture kharkhov and prevented a collapse of the eastern front

adsH

agni 2 said:
In 975, Arabs introduce modern arithmetical notation to Europeans, making calculations much easier than they had been with Roman numerals. (has any one seen the Movie the 13th Warrior).

excusme the modern arithemetical notions were developed by indian not arabs and even newton also agrees or is it einstein

I believe Indians developed the numeral Zero which stems from Brahmi Numeral, but Modern Numeral were developed by Arabs All Mathematicians agree with that. Arab Numerals are based on Brahmi.

This is side talk lets stick to topic!

India (Hind) is a great region, Arabia is a great region with an equally colorful past, we're Talking about who were the great commanders within these great regions or other regions.

PLease Keep your posts focussed, we can discuss Numerals and other Historical topics in another thread.

Thnx
adsH

Last edited:

adsH

mysterious said:
If you ask me Alexander was a great commander but I find it extremely hard to negotiate with this 'myth' of him being 'great' (there the suffix to his name). There was 'nothing' great about him. His personal character would cause many respectable and chivalric commanders like Saladin quite a bit of embarassment.

I'll be posting an article shortly as to why Alexander was just Alexander and not 'great'.
Salahudin Ayubee, is one of the finest and the Ethical ones within historym but i'de be cautios when discussing the greatest commander.

We should really develop a metric or a criteria to analyze and sum up the great personalities within history,

for instance Salhudin, may have been ethical and forgiving. however he did not command an army as diverse and as multi cultural as Alexander, Alexander had this rare trait that made him connect to every race he Ruled he knew what made people feel connected, He created bond without the suppport of region or religion. Salahudin was able to utilize the strong Religious bond amongst his soldiers and followers. Alexander had to deal with the Prejudges of his european subjects.

Alexander created something unusual and creating this sort of unity amongst multiple cultures is rare and has probably never been witnessed

long live usa

legend has it that when "Alexander the Great" lay dying in 323 B.C. one of his subordinates asked"who is to inherit your empire?"his responde was simply "the strongest" his only natural heir was an infant that along with its mother(roxanne) was soon killed,this created a power struggle between four rivals that lasted 29 years thus breaking up alexanders great empire he should have had the foresight to resolve this issue

adsH

long live usa said:
legend has it that when "Alexander the Great" lay dying in 323 B.C. one of his subordinates asked"who is to inherit your empire?"his responde was simply "the strongest" his only natural heir was an infant that along with its mother(roxanne) was soon killed,this created a power struggle between four rivals that lasted 29 years thus breaking up alexanders great empire he should have had the foresight to resolve this issue
Great leaders are not necesserily great men!

I Believe sometimes they forget the fact that that they're mere mortals. In Alexanders case wouldn't you suspect his own relation with his father Philip may have played a part in him subconsciously not wanting a child of his own a child who could of repeated what he had done. Been as competitive as him.

And then again there's always the the Delusion factor "That he was the son of God" he accomplished many things, things never thought (then) possible, this may have caused him to believe in immortality.

Comments please!

Further on to this discussion i was reading an article about the insecurities that all leaders have, they are really insecure about there positions. probably because Success is so easy for them, that they start feeling guilty about them reaching the top with little effort, They start to feel like frauds!

I guess if Alexandre didn't want a child it may have had something to do with the fact that he used his fathers position to influence himself into his role. I mean if Alexander had a child he would potentially be the next Alexander, something he wouldn't want!

Last edited:

long live usa

this is all myth as well but one of the four rivals vying for power after alexanders death(ptolemy) was his govenor of eygypt and threw some trickery he had gotten alexanders body and buried it at the shrine of amon were alexander was supposedly named a god,things like this could have made him think he was immortal,and indeed he may not have wanted a son as great as he

adsH

About Alexander

Further on to this discussion i was reading an article about the insecurities that all leaders have, they are really insecure about there positions. probably because Success is so easy for them, that they start feeling guilty about them reaching the top with little effort, They start to feel like frauds!

I guess if Alexandre didn't want a child it may have had something to do with the fact that he used his fathers position to influence himself into his role. I mean if Alexander had a child he would potentially be the next Alexander, something he wouldn't want!

Status
Not open for further replies.