General Aviation Thread

Sandhi Yudha

Malaysia Airlines is looking for 30 new long range wide bodies. They are to choose between the A330neo and the 787-10, but it is expected that Airbus will win, because the Boeing is much more expensive, and the A330neo will be more practical and cost efficiently for a A330ceo operator.

During a flight from Dubai UAE to Brisbane Australia, the passengers heard a loud bang. After landing a big hole was found on the a left side of the A380 fuselage. Emirates didn't give an explanation yet, but after watching the video, i think one of the wheels exploded in the left main wheel bay.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Apparently the Pearson airport show isn’t getting any better, despite the flight reductions by Air Canada and WestJet. My rule of thumb was drive for accounts 350 miles or less and fly to destinations further away. Probably need to double that threshold, WTF, I have a RAV 4 hybrid, might as well make it earn its keep, not to mention no cabs or car rentals!

Mother and daughters sleep on Toronto Pearson nursing room floor after chaotic travel experience
Whatever you do, don't fly to Amsterdam Schiphol. For months its pure hell over there.
English speaking traveller in the first part of the video.

So in short:
- Thousands of pieces of luggage are lost and/or stapled somewhere at Schiphol.
- Waiting rows of hundreds meters long, which force the passengers to wait for three hours or more, and then they probably miss their flight.
- Everyday more than 13.500 passengers are rejected because of cancelled flights.
- Its all because of mismanagement and an enormous lack of personnel, specially porters and security guards.

And now something about the Boeing 737-MAX 10.
Boeing has to be able to complete the certifying procedure of the 737 MAX 10 before the end of the year, if not then Boeing will probably end the development of this 737 MAX-variant.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This article from simpleflying shown survey on problem in Canadian Airports (especialy Pearson) and Air Canada operational problem as part of theie reluctance on traveling especially Internationally.

However Airport operational problem is not in Canada alone. Heatrhrow also going to cap air traffic to reduce operational problem. This happen in several other major airport as manning and operational slow down during Hight of pandemic now begin to bite all over.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Agree, other airports have their issues as well. As your article mentions, Pearson is consistently rated as the worst airport. As for Air Canada, I can personally confirm Canada’s other airline, WestJet, is just as bad if not worse.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just want to share this, because it's a cool video clip.
Been some chatter on a Facebook aviation page that I belong to as to the cause of the go around, and some suggest that it might be wake turbulence from the departing B777. Of interest is that it's a crosswind landing in an apparently hot environment, but the camera angle gives no idea of horizontal separation.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Been some chatter on a Facebook aviation page that I belong to as to the cause of the go around, and some suggest that it might be wake turbulence from the departing B777. Of interest is that it's a crosswind landing in an apparently hot environment, but the camera angle gives no idea of horizontal separation.
I think wake turbulence from the departing B777 is highly unlikely as at the end of the runway that the B737 is landing on the B777's speed would have been to slow to cause wake turbulence and the obvious cross wind would have dispersed it anyway if their had been any from the B777 or any previous aircraft.

Sandhi Yudha

Both Ngatimozart and Rob C can be right. If the person who made this video also recorded the radio conversation between the flightcrew of the 737 and ATC, then we could find it out.

But i don't think it is lack of runway, it looks like the 737 started the go around at the beginning of the runway.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Both Ngatimozart and Rob C can be right. If the person who made this video also recorded the radio conversation between the flightcrew of the 737 and ATC, then we could find it out.

But i don't think it is lack of runway, it looks like the 737 started the go around at the beginning of the runway.
I am unsure and don't think it's wake turbulence per se. If look at the 73 he's crabbing in so there's a crosswind, maybe a reasonably strong one and if the air temperature is hot there will be rising air with some possible roiling near the ground, especially if the surrounding topography is uneven and the surface is rough.

Sandhi Yudha

An Antonov AN-12 cargo aircraft from an Ukrainian civilian airline has crashed in Greece possibly killing all onboard. Greece aircraft crash: Footage shows cargo plane on fire before hitting ground - BBC News. The aircraft was on a flight from Serbia to Jordan. At present the name of the airline nor the aircraft cargo has been publicly released.
Thank you for sharing.
According to Vrachtvliegtuig "met munitie" neergestort in Noord-Griekenland
there are probably munition on board, because lokal journalists report that there are many explosions and irritating fumes coming from the cargo after the crash. There were so many explosions for several hours, that the fire department could not approach the wreckage.

BBC News tells that Greece's ERT state broadcaster reported that the aircraft had been carrying a 12-tonne cargo.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you for sharing.
According to Vrachtvliegtuig "met munitie" neergestort in Noord-Griekenland
there are probably munition on board, because lokal journalists report that there are many explosions and irritating fumes coming from the cargo after the crash. There were so many explosions for several hours, that the fire department could not approach the wreckage.

BBC News tells that Greece's ERT state broadcaster reported that the aircraft had been carrying a 12-tonne cargo.
Video of the aircraft going down. It's obvious that there was a fire before the impact.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

C919 as expected after Ukraine war will get more traction then MC-21. Reason of C919 in "theory" still can utilise Western vendors, while MC-21 will have to switch toward non western vendors.

Anyway, ARJ-21 regional jet, after close to a decade on domestic China market, so far only got one export order from Indonesian start up airline that also has Chinese shareholder. Now how this C919 going to come to export market, I don't think will be competition soon against A320 and 737 families. However, how they're going to reduce Airbus and Boeing market on domestic China, will be interesting to see.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

C919 as expected after Ukraine war will get more traction then MC-21. Reason of C919 in "theory" still can utilise Western vendors, while MC-21 will have to switch toward non western vendors.

Anyway, ARJ-21 regional jet, after close to a decade on domestic China market, so far only got one export order from Indonesian start up airline that also has Chinese shareholder. Now how this C919 going to come to export market, I don't think will be competition soon against A320 and 737 families. However, how they're going to reduce Airbus and Boeing market on domestic China, will be interesting to see.
The real issue will be can it gain certification from the US FAA and / or the EASA? Either would be a game changer for it. There was a Chinese turboprop operating in either Tonga or Samoa by one of the local air companies, and NZ CAA put out a notification advising Kiwis not to fly on that particular aircraft type because of its poor safety record and because it didn't meet international aviation standards. That was a few years ago, maybe ten at most.

Sandhi Yudha

The real issue will be can it gain certification from the US FAA and / or the EASA? Either would be a game changer for it. There was a Chinese turboprop operating in either Tonga or Samoa by one of the local air companies, and NZ CAA put out a notification advising Kiwis not to fly on that particular aircraft type because of its poor safety record and because it didn't meet international aviation standards. That was a few years ago, maybe ten at most.
That should be the Xian MA-60.
Because of political reasons Merpati Nusantara had to fly with it.
I will not say that there were a lot of accidents with the MA-60 (specially if you look to the small amount of this type built in total), that airlines like Nepal Airlines and Merpati had operational problems with it, and that the MA-60 is inferiorly built compared to the Fokker F50 or ATR42/72, .....but actually it was.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
real issue will be can it gain certification from the US FAA and / or the EASA? Either would be a game changer for it.
To add what Sandhi wrote, to be fair Chinese civilian aviation products shown progressing development. MA-60 we can see it is still base on AN-24. ARJ-21 even we can see the base toward 717 or MD-90, on other hand shown bit more Chinese own progressing design. This C919 shown their own progressing further effort.

Nonetheless FAA or EASA asside from genuine safety track record, there are hint of commercial rivalry. Thus I suspect it will tied up also on the fortune of Boeing and Airbus and also Western aviation vendors in Chinese market.

Still even if C919 can get both FAA and EASA license, it will take much more time to be real alternative for Airbus and Boeing narrow bodies in much of global export market. Still the size of Chinese own market will make it having more fortune as alternative to duopoly compare to MC-21.

If Russian smart, they better follow China lead on C929 wide body. They will never create alternative toward the Duopoly if not working with China.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Until
To add what Sandhi wrote, to be fair Chinese civilian aviation products shown progressing development. MA-60 we can see it is still base on AN-24. ARJ-21 even we can see the base toward 717 or MD-90, on other hand shown bit more Chinese own progressing design. This C919 shown their own progressing further effort.

Nonetheless FAA or EASA asside from genuine safety track record, there are hint of commercial rivalry. Thus I suspect it will tied up also on the fortune of Boeing and Airbus and also Western aviation vendors in Chinese market.

Still even if C919 can get both FAA and EASA license, it will take much more time to be real alternative for Airbus and Boeing narrow bodies in much of global export market. Still the size of Chinese own market will make it having more fortune as alternative to duopoly compare to MC-21.

If Russian smart, they better follow China lead on C929 wide body. They will never create alternative toward the Duopoly if not working with China.
Until the pandemic and Ukraine are sorted, both the duopoly and any Chinese/Russian alternative are both going to be struggling. Heard an interesting comment about Pearson Airport’s baggage problem. Apparently a large potion of these security screened/trained employees took on jobs in nearby warehouses serving the online order industry. Better pay and less BS compared to Pearson, the employer who dumped workers a nanosecond after the pandemic started.