General Aviation Thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Expensive accident.... a new Cirrus Vision Jet seems to be between $2-3 million.
Ah yes I saw that posted on Facebake. I have to say how sad, to bad, never mind. An expensive lesson hopefully learned. It pays to watch what you are doing and you must be in direct line of sight when you use that particular feature.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This link outlines Boeing’s troubles and the economic consequences should Boeing fail. As the article suggests the aerospace industry is America’s most important manufacturing export. Trying to lay partial blame on government and Airbus subsidies for some of Boeing’s troubles is disingenuous IMO. Can’t blame government for negotiating best deals possible for taxpayers and it was Boeing lobbyists obtaining a 300% tariff on the C-series that gave Airbus the C-Series for basically SFA. Many of Boeing’s military contracts verge on government subsidies. The rejection of the Airbus MRTT for the KC-46 comes to mind. All of this pales in comparison to some of Boeing’s management failures like the 787 launch, the HQ move to Chicago, and the MAX debacle. Sidelining engineering people in favour of MBA/financial people operating out of Chicago wouldn’t help QA issues.

Boeing really needs a new single aisle jet to better the A321XLR but money is tight and the airline industry may never fully recover to pre COVID levels. Adding in a looming recession and the Ukraine situation would seem to foreshadow very tough times for Boeing. Will a GOP Congress bail out Boeing? Does Boeing have any involvement in either the USAF or USN NGAD projects? The F-15EX isn’t a long term revenue stream.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A new direct long haul flight from Sydney to London is coming in 2025. I guess the big question is how comfortable are the premium economy and economy seats going to be for the 40% passenger load that will occupy them and what is the cost? The hassle of a second flight leg of a trip getting cancelled or significantly delayed versus 20 uncomfortable hours on a direct flight is a tough call. Price will be the deciding factor in my opinion.
Qantas promises direct flights from Sydney to London and New York Qantas promises direct flights from Sydney to London and New York

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A new direct long haul flight from Sydney to London is coming in 2025. I guess the big question is how comfortable are the premium economy and economy seats going to be for the 40% passenger load that will occupy them and what is the cost? The hassle of a second flight leg of a trip getting cancelled or significantly delayed versus 20 uncomfortable hours on a direct flight is a tough call. Price will be the deciding factor in my opinion.
Qantas promises direct flights from Sydney to London and New York Qantas promises direct flights from Sydney to London and New York
"With a stopover somewhere it's just prolonging the whole experience and it turns into a bit of a faff."

Agree with this quote. I'm a big lump of a bloke and accustomed to travelling cattle class but would be happy to avoid a couple of wasted hours cooling my heels in Singers or the Middle East enroute

oldsig

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
"With a stopover somewhere it's just prolonging the whole experience and it turns into a bit of a faff."

Agree with this quote. I'm a big lump of a bloke and accustomed to travelling cattle class but would be happy to avoid a couple of wasted hours cooling my heels in Singers or the Middle East enroute

oldsig
How do airlines define a couple? An Abbotsford to Toronto flight with a stopover in Calgary took 18 hours back in January! A direct flight is about 4-5 hours. The connection flight is typically 6+ hours but when “stuff” happens, a real bummer. Nothing worse than being stranded half way, especially when airlines won’t cover hotel costs.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
There will be market for direct ultra long haul for business need. However for vacationers that's another thing. Direct ultra long haul usually consisted with above 14-15hrs direct flights.

There's a reason why Singapore Airlines only put premium economy on it's Ultra Long Haul as the lowest fare. Simply put some research already put the average human body ideal toleration on cramp economy seating is around 13-14 hrs flight (forgot the link though).

For that I do believe those ultra long haul routes still going to be available more with one stop at least. If you stop on nice way hubs like Doha, Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong for 2-3 hrs, and it is still tolerable and good for your body circulation.

Unless you have deep pockets for Business and 1st class.

Beam

There will be market for direct ultra long haul for business need. However for vacationers that's another thing. Direct ultra long haul usually consisted with above 14-15hrs direct flights.

There's a reason why Singapore Airlines only put premium economy on it's Ultra Long Haul as the lowest fare. Simply put some research already put the average human body ideal toleration on cramp economy seating is around 13-14 hrs flight (forgot the link though).

For that I do believe those ultra long haul routes still going to be available more with one stop at least. If you stop on nice way hubs like Doha, Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong for 2-3 hrs, and it is still tolerable and good for your body circulation.

Unless you have deep pockets for Business and 1st class.
The Qantas A350's will have economy class, with a "Wellbeing" area to promote stretching and moving in the forward section of Economy. See:
QANTAS A350-1000.jpg

Regards,

Sandhi Yudha

Meanwhile onboard KLM between Manchester and Amsterdam...six passengers decided to make the flight more exciting.

Result: six passengers arrested with one of them lightly wounded.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Meanwhile onboard KLM between Manchester and Amsterdam...six passengers decided to make the flight more exciting.

Pommies, you can't take them anywhere.

Redlands18

Hope they can swim, won't be catching a flight home anytime soon.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Initial finding from US on flight data assessment, shown indication that China Eastern 737-800 crash is deliberate action. So far it is also collaborate by Chinese finding.

Speculations on that already come out, after video on crash shown how the aircraft nose dive from high altitude.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
DARPA is looking for new proposals on a sealifter x- design. The Liberty Sealifter looks interesting. The older Pelican WIG design from early 2000s is also interesting.

FormerDirtDart

DARPA is looking for new proposals on a sealifter x- design. The Liberty Sealifter looks interesting. The older Pelican WIG design from early 2000s is also interesting.
The Liberty Lifter made me think of two Convair Tradewinds mated together. The Boeing Pelican concept was ridiculously oversized in my opinion. I find the idea of large WIG cargo carriers interesting. But I think they really have to keep it to a realistic scale. Go for the attainable, not science fiction

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The Liberty Lifter made me think of two Convair Tradewinds mated together. The Boeing Pelican concept was ridiculously oversized in my opinion. I find the idea of large WIG cargo carriers interesting. But I think they really have to keep it to a realistic scale. Go for the attainable, not science fiction
The Pelican design is a beast and I have no idea if it was viable but specs included a huge range along with a load capability that was frankly hard to believe (hundreds of tons). It would be awesome (if affordable).

Sandhi Yudha

Good news for rich Defencetalk-members who are often in a rush.
|"With a capacity for up to 19 passengers, a range of 8000 nautical miles (14.800 kilometers) and a top speed of Mach 0,94, the upcoming plane is expected to enter service in 2025, according to a statement from Bombardier."|
That is faster than an Exocet!

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good news for rich Defencetalk-members who are often in a rush.
|"With a capacity for up to 19 passengers, a range of 8000 nautical miles (14.800 kilometers) and a top speed of Mach 0,94, the upcoming plane is expected to enter service in 2025, according to a statement from Bombardier."|
That is faster than an Exocet!
But does it come with a jacuzzi, bar and BBQ?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
No sorry. The Bombardier 8000 will be a politic correctly private jet.
- No jacuzzi (too much water consumptive)
- No bar (alcohol is bad!)
- No BBQ (veganism is hot and trendy now!)

But you get a free Bombardier key hanger in rainbow colours!
….and all English displays and manuals will include an extra charge;)