General Aviation Thread

Sandhi Yudha

In average (at least in ASEAN), The Price difference from Low Cost carrier to full service carrier varied around 15% to 25% depending on the route. I only used Air Asia and Garuda's subsidiary Citilink as low cost carrier. For me their service as low cost carrier is still acceptable. I don't want to use Lion Air, but I'm quite surprised to see Scoot as Singapore Airlines low cost subsidiary got quite big unsatisfied complaint especially with You Tuber.

My guess is expectations. Some people still put higher expectations on low cost carrier. For me, I never fly more than 2 hrs on Low Cost carrier. Also I don't expect much, as long as they provide clean cabin and reasonable leg room. Perhaps You Tuber that put negative comments on Scoot, expect better due it's parent company is Singapore Airlines. Once in Job related emergency I fly to Singapore with Tiger Air (Scoot previous name), due to full flight by other all full service carrier. I found Tiger Air/Scoot is within acceptable standard for Low Cost carrier. So, it come back to expectations.
Expectations can sometimes lead to disappointments, but its sometimes also a matter of badluck and goodluck.
My worst flight experience ever was with Singapore Airlines.
Imagine, you are sitting in the middle of the cabin, at the last row in a 744. You can not recline your seat, and there wasnt even place for my luggage, my bag was just placed between my legs (which is as far as i know illegal, but hey, there was no place somewhere else according to the stewardess). Besides that there was a disturbing peep tone (maybe a leaking air seal of one of the doors behind) during the whole flight.
And last but not least, the stewardess who was responsable for our section was very unfriendly and arrogant.
And it was not a short flight, it was an Amsterdam-Singapore flight...

A flight does not need to be perfect, but all these points above together at one flight make me think twice before i choose again Singapore Airlines.

2007yellow430

I’ve been spoiled. Shorter flights (1000 miles) use my own plane. Long, fly business. Avoiding the lunacy at the commercial terminals is worth it.
Art

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Max begin the process to get back to air. However I do agree with the last commentator, how Boeing make sure that all the Airlines that grounded MAX will be fly them at the same standard. I do have doubt during grounding, all Airlines keep similar standard of maintenance and keeping. Boeing must check one by one those Aircraft that are being grounded on the airworthiness. Any problem on MAX for at least this couple of years, will be back to Boeing automatically.

Sandhi Yudha

Thousands of airliners are still in storage on the ground worldwide. Most of these aircrafts are on the ground starting in Feb-Apr, but the 737 MAXes are one year longer grounded.
So for most airlines they do not need to rush/urgently need those MAXes the coming period, if 50% or more of their fleet is also not flying.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thousands of airliners are still in storage on the ground worldwide. Most of these aircrafts are on the ground starting in Feb-Apr, but the 737 MAXes are one year longer grounded.
So for most airlines they do not need to rush/urgently need those MAXes the coming period, if 50% or more of their fleet is also not flying.
Agree, many non US domestic airlines will not be in a hurry to return grounded aircraft to the air if the market isn't there because of COVID-19.

Sandhi Yudha

Max begin the process to get back to air. However I do agree with the last commentator, how Boeing make sure that all the Airlines that grounded MAX will be fly them at the same standard. I do have doubt during grounding, all Airlines keep similar standard of maintenance and keeping. Boeing must check one by one those Aircraft that are being grounded on the airworthiness. Any problem on MAX for at least this couple of years, will be back to Boeing automatically.
Just an update about the return of the 737MAX.

From which i understand from the several modifications there will be two software updates.
1. MAX DISPLAY SYSTEM - DISPLAY PROCESSING COMPUTER OPERATIONAL PROGRAM SOFTWARE BP 1.5.1 CHANGE
2. AUTO FLIGHT - DIGITAL FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM - FLIGHT CONTROL COMPUTER SOFTWARE VERSION P12.1.2 CHANGE

And after that there will be an ANGLE OF ATTACK SENSOR SYSTEM TEST AND OPERATIONAL READINESS FLIGHT

In one of the Task Cards of the software updates Boeing gives a description of the reason for the sw-update:
"...... the cumulative effect of repeated cycles of MCAS stabilizer input may eventually result in a stabilizer position that can't be fully countered with elevator, resulting in insufficient pitch control which could lead to reduced controllability of the airplane."

Its remarkable, almost funny to see that Boeing describes total loss of control as "reduced controllability".

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article is interesting and speculates several possibilities. As a result of some information disclosed during the GE lawsuit against Raytheon over a patent wrt to geared turbines, it appears GE and Airbus may be discussing a new geared turbines narrow body that GE will power with a new geared turbine that they are developing. Then there is the speculation that Airbus is letting this rumour gain momentum to scare Boeing into prematurely developing a new narrow body prior to new technologies being fully developed.
The more important information is Raytheon’s claim it has numerous other geared turbine patents that will make GE’s entry difficult. The fact GE is trying to develop a competitive engine suggests the P&W geared turbine is gaining favour with airlines. Finally, will COVID result in a narrow body future for most airlines?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

First American commercial flight with Max, after FAA give green light for MAX return. Normal flights, between Miami to New York. It's seems on 50% occupancy due to COVID Protocol.

Warning tough the CNBC Video above only 50% of the content on the MAX flight, and ramifications to Boeing.

Will see how development of MAX back to flight outside US. For me personally, I'm not going to fly MAX in Indonesia soon. Simply not due to MAX, but because nearly all of the MAX in Indonesia operate by Lion Air. I have avoiding Lion Air for close to two decades, mostly to their lowsy services.

That's back to the point the CNBC making, in the end after public see how MAX perform in Flight, most will be back to use it or back to the preference on each Airlines choices.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

First American commercial flight with Max, after FAA give green light for MAX return. Normal flights, between Miami to New York. It's seems on 50% occupancy due to COVID Protocol.

Warning tough the CNBC Video above only 50% of the content on the MAX flight, and ramifications to Boeing.

Will see how development of MAX back to flight outside US. For me personally, I'm not going to fly MAX in Indonesia soon. Simply not due to MAX, but because nearly all of the MAX in Indonesia operate by Lion Air. I have avoiding Lion Air for close to two decades, mostly to their lowsy services.

That's back to the point the CNBC making, in the end after public see how MAX perform in Flight, most will be back to use it or back to the preference on each Airlines choices.
Garuda has only one MAX, but for them there is no reason to rush that single MAX into service. I dont know if GMF already modify that single MAX, but i expect so, because Lion is also in the process to modify their whole MAX-fleet.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I dont know if GMF already modify that single MAX, but i expect so, because Lion is also in the process to modify the
One thing that can be interesting to see is whether the Airlines that cancelled MAX order, like Garuda, will eventually take it back or still going other way around.

Off course it will be at least next couple of years, at minimum for Airlines back to capacity to justify new order. Some analysts prediction by end of 21 at fastest. Still if those cancelled customers don't go back to MAX, it's clear sign for Boeing that 737 line should already ended.

Sandhi Yudha

$ 4 billion quite a lot for just 8 new AH-64Es and the upgrade of 16 AH-64D into Es, even if they come with spareparts and missiles. That why its unlikely in my opinion that Bangladesh and the Philippines also sign a contract for the AH-64E.

Redlands18

$ 4 billion quite a lot for just 8 new AH-64Es and the upgrade of 16 AH-64D into Es, even if they come with spareparts and missiles. That why its unlikely in my opinion that Bangladesh and the Philippines also sign a contract for the AH-64E.
That compares fairly well to Australia’s Tiger replacement program Land 4503, which the AH-64E is arguably the leading contender for up to 29 Helicopters, which is currently costed at $3.4b-5.1b AUD(approx 75c to the USD). But as always it depends what is included in the Sale. Upgrade of facilities, Trg of both Air and Ground Crews etc

Sandhi Yudha

That compares fairly well to Australia’s Tiger replacement program Land 4503, which the AH-64E is arguably the leading contender for up to 29 Helicopters, which is currently costed at $3.4b-5.1b AUD(approx 75c to the USD). But as always it depends what is included in the Sale. Upgrade of facilities, Trg of both Air and Ground Crews etc
Yes, but even then 29 brandnew AH-64Es, with all the new spareparts, engines, weaponsystems, ground support equipment, test equipment, special tools, and training from scratch is something different than 8 new ones + 16 upgrades with some additional hardware, missiles and training.

I dont know the details of all the acquisitions with the sustainment packages, but i always have the feeling that some countries get discount and others have to compensate that with higher prices.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That DSCA figure is an indicative figure only for notification purposes and is at the upper end of the price range. After the contract negotiations have been completed and Kuwait and Boeing have agreed on a final figure, it will be somewhat less than the figure in the notification.