General Aviation Thread

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Indonesian Low Cost Airlines Sriwijaya Air 737-500 lost contact just after take off from Jakarta International Airport 3 hrs ago. Put a link on Live Chat on the issue.

Hope for better, however prepared for worst. This's not a good time for Airlines Industry in Indonesia. Sriwijaya it self has been in problematic Financial condition, even before the COVID situation. It's still too early to speculate. Current Jakarta whether is still under heavy rain for half a day already.

SAR ships has been send to latest contact position, in Java Sea North Jakarta Coast.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Not a good development. So far fisherman's around the area where Sriwijaya Air lost contact, found debris that resonate with Airliner like passanger seats. The area still technically under Jakarta administration, since it's part of Islands chain call Thousand Islands, which's part Jakarta regency area. Hope the SAR team can reach the area and determine the condition.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not good at all. Hopefully there might be some survivors, but it doesn't look like it.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Hopefully there might be some survivors, but it doesn't look like it.
From the fishermans that become eye witness, talk about huge 'crash' sound in the area consider as last contact. The plane path can be seen in Flightradar 24 apps, and it shown the plane lost contact just after take off from Jakarta's Airport.

Seems due to recent tighten on air travel due to recent spike of COVID infection, the passanger manifest being inform less than 50% of capacity.

This's English Article from NBC.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Update on the Sriwijaya Air 737-500 crash. The SAR and Navy team already got the signal from the Plane Black Box. On local media, the Navy divers told that the condition of the plane is scattered. Shown that it impact the water on relative high speed. Reminiscent of Lion Air MAX crash also in the area not far from present crash site.

Both of the plane are loosing altitude fast. This one losing 3000+ feet in one minute from 10000+ feet, before reach 250+ feet in another minute plus. All happen so fast, that the ATC inquiry on why they are loosing altitude and going west from flight plan, has not been answered by the Pilots, before the contact lost.

Video frm CNN Indonesia shown how the Navy Divers scavenging the wreck pieces. If there's good side on this search, the water depth in the area is only around 15-25 meter.

Too soon to speculate, however loosing the altitude so fast while steering west from the flight path, and the pilots has not even have time to answered ATC inquiries. All shown in my opinion something catastrophic happens on flight control.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Update on the Sriwijaya Air 737-500 crash. The SAR and Navy team already got the signal from the Plane Black Box. On local media, the Navy divers told that the condition of the plane is scattered. Shown that it impact the water on relative high speed. Reminiscent of Lion Air MAX crash also in the area not far from present crash site.

Both of the plane are loosing altitude fast. This one losing 3000+ feet in one minute from 10000+ feet, before reach 250+ feet in another minute plus. All happen so fast, that the ATC inquiry on why they are loosing altitude and going west from flight plan, has not been answered by the Pilots, before the contact lost.

Video frm CNN Indonesia shown how the Navy Divers scavenging the wreck pieces. If there's good side on this search, the water depth in the area is only around 15-25 meter.

Too soon to speculate, however loosing the altitude so fast while steering west from the flight path, and the pilots has not even have time to answered ATC inquiries. All shown in my opinion something catastrophic happens on flight control.
I got a really bad feeling when i saw this photo yesterday afternoon. Not only logic will tell directly that small pieces means a tremendous impact, but such small debris were also found after the 737 MAX disaster in 2018, when there were 0 survivors.

I hope they can find some answers in the CVR and FDR.

Attachments

Ananda

The Bunker Group

The Navy and SAR team manage to evacuate the Turbofan Engine of the crash 737-500. This's hopefully can provide significant clue asside the flight recorders, on why the flight lost the altitude so sudden.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Put this article from CNA, as this's English article on latest findings of Sriwijaya Air that quite substantive. The article also put graphics on the flight path. The flight path before the aircraft loosing sudden altitude, also shown the tendencies of flight path that begin loosing speed. Something that should not happen when the aircraft in the climb path.

Investigator from National Transport Safety Agency (KNKT), also shown early indication that the plane most likely hit the water on intact condition. This shown by the debris that scattered on relative close tight area.

Sandhi Yudha

Some good news: the FDR has been found and recovered.
Here two links.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I put this article in this thread, instead in Indonesian Aero Thread. This because eventough the article talk about an Indonesian Airlines order for lease 30 Chinese Regional Jet ARJ-21, however the background on how they come to it shown another strategy from Chinese Aviation to gain Export.

This's about a small Indonesian Airlines call Transnusa. So far the Airline fleet mostly ATR-42/72, and the Airline working on regional routes mostly in Eastern Indonesia. The way this Airline order and lease the ARJ-21 quite interesting. The Chinese Leasing company (CALC) invest on Hong Kong base company that in the end own 49% shares on this Transnusa Airlines.

In essence Transnusa lease the ARJ-21 from one of it's ultimate shareholder. Bit extra effort for CALC just to gain Export footing for Chinese Airliner. In sense to make export viable for Chinese Airliner, invest on Foreign Airlines and sell Chinese Airliner to them.

Quite elaborate scheme to introduce Chinese Airliner for International footing. I wonder if they are going to repeat the move on other market.

Sandhi Yudha

I put this article in this thread, instead in Indonesian Aero Thread. This because eventough the article talk about an Indonesian Airlines order for lease 30 Chinese Regional Jet ARJ-21, however the background on how they come to it shown another strategy from Chinese Aviation to gain Export.

This's about a small Indonesian Airlines call Transnusa. So far the Airline fleet mostly ATR-42/72, and the Airline working on regional routes mostly in Eastern Indonesia. The way this Airline order and lease the ARJ-21 quite interesting. The Chinese Leasing company (CALC) invest on Hong Kong base company that in the end own 49% shares on this Transnusa Airlines.

In essence Transnusa lease the ARJ-21 from one of it's ultimate shareholder. Bit extra effort for CALC just to gain Export footing for Chinese Airliner. In sense to make export viable for Chinese Airliner, invest on Foreign Airlines and sell Chinese Airliner to them.

Quite elaborate scheme to introduce Chinese Airliner for International footing. I wonder if they are going to repeat the move on other market.
A really sad day for Indonesian aviation, 8 januari 2021 : the loss of PK-CLC and on top of that this stupid contract.

Transnusa operates only a handful of aircrafts, in the past the Fokker 50 and now some ATRs, but always less than 10. And now they are suddenly forced to order 30 ARJ-21. This DC-9-32 imitation is only in use now by a handful of chinese airlines aircraft and as far as i know only certified by CAAC.

Its almost sure that Transnusa will make huge losses with such a huge fleet, 30 is not only too much, but i can not believe the ARJ-21 can operate more profitable and cost-effective than modern turboprops on Transnusa's short flights from small airports.

If the ARJ-21 is "as reliable and durable as the Xian MA-60" (which is only in use by china and 3rd World vassal-states), then it will damage the image of Indonesian aviation in general and Transnusa in special, and probably also meaning the end of Transnusa in less than 10 years.

Some days ago i talked/made a prediction of Indonesia being forced to accept chinese stuff like the MA-60 and ARJ-21 in the Indonesian aviation and airforce thread, but i didnt expect it became reality in such a short time.

Coincidently this contract is signed just some days before the arrival of this guy, the chinese minister of foreign affairs.

Its obvious that the only ones which make advantage/are happy about this contract are communistic china and their puppet Luhut, our beloved Coordinating Minister.
And yes @Ananda, its for sure that the chinese will do the same trick in other vassal-states with incompetent and corrupt politicians, to spread chinese influence and dump chinese aircrafts.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Transnusa operates only a handful of aircrafts, in the past the Fokker 50 and now some ATRs, but always less than 10. And now they are suddenly forced to order 30 ARJ-21. This DC-9-32 imitation is only in use now by a handful of chinese airlines aircraft and as far as i know only certified by CAAC.
Regional Jets trend do picking up. The point to point business model not only happen in International route, however also in domestic routes. That's why I also put in my other post why I don't think Turboprop above 50 passanger will have large market in future. Most above 50 passanger in regional routes mostly will be taken by regional Jets. The regional Jets have 2500-3500 km range average, however it's also faster and still Economics to operate in the range of 1000-2000 km that used to be domain of Turboprop. For upstart Airlines like Transnusa, it will be more interesting playing regional Jets in point to point destination in eastern Indonesia then just relied with ATR like at present condition.

However as regional Jets in market, I do agree it will be difficult for ARJ-21 to compete with the like of A220, E Series, CRJ-1000 or even Sukhoi Superjet. The Russian try to provide cheap Financing to get Superjet for export market. Another small Airlines in Indonesia Sky Aviation try to bring 12 Superjet into operation. However they facing operational cost problem, and cease to operate before they can operate those Superjet.

That's seems why the Chinese doing different approach. Giving cheap Financing to small upstart Airlines will not be enough. Instead they make their SOE Finance company (in this case CALC) not only as financier to the Airlines, but also become shareholder. Thus the business model doing two approach. It's risky and expensive ones, however the Chinese seems try to do is as part of strategy to gain Export footing on their Airliners.

They have to move with small, upstart and financial trouble Airlines. No big Airlines will take their Airliners, as big Airlines will have choice to get more efficient Airliners from Airbus and Boeing. Even Garuda shown that CRJ-1000 is not that efficient on the operational perspective. However they are still exploring regional Jets business model on potential change their CRJ-1000 either with E Series or A220.

How Transnusa can be competitive with less efficient ARJ-21 on regional Jets market, I do think will depend on how their Financing being structure by CALC.

For me, this business model that intrigued me. China seems now with Transnusa try different approach in business model. If this's working, I do see they will try to replicate it by investing on smaller Airlines in other market to get footing on their Airliners. This's their trial.

Sandhi Yudha

Regional Jets trend do picking up. The point to point business model not only happen in International route, however also in domestic routes. That's why I also put in my other post why I don't think Turboprop above 50 passanger will have large market in future. Most above 50 passanger in regional routes mostly will be taken by regional Jets. The regional Jets have 2500-3500 km range average, however it's also faster and still Economics to operate in the range of 1000-2000 km that used to be domain of Turboprop. For upstart Airlines like Transnusa, it will be more interesting playing regional Jets in point to point destination in eastern Indonesia then just relied with ATR like at present condition.

However as regional Jets in market, I do agree it will be difficult for ARJ-21 to compete with the like of A220, E Series, CRJ-1000 or even Sukhoi Superjet. The Russian try to provide cheap Financing to get Superjet for export market. Another small Airlines in Indonesia Sky Aviation try to bring 12 Superjet into operation. However they facing operational cost problem, and cease to operate before they can operate those Superjet.

That's seems why the Chinese doing different approach. Giving cheap Financing to small upstart Airlines will not be enough. Instead they make their SOE Finance company (in this case CALC) not only as financier to the Airlines, but also become shareholder. Thus the business model doing two approach. It's risky and expensive ones, however the Chinese seems try to do is as part of strategy to gain Export footing on their Airliners.

They have to move with small, upstart and financial trouble Airlines. No big Airlines will take their Airliners, as big Airlines will have choice to get more efficient Airliners from Airbus and Boeing. Even Garuda shown that CRJ-1000 is not that efficient on the operational perspective. However they are still exploring regional Jets business model on potential change their CRJ-1000 either with E Series or A220.

How Transnusa can be competitive with less efficient ARJ-21 on regional Jets market, I do think will depend on how their Financing being structure by CALC.

For me, this business model that intrigued me. China seems now with Transnusa try different approach in business model. If this's working, I do see they will try to replicate it by investing on smaller Airlines in other market to get footing on their Airliners. This's their trial.
I think you confuse Sky Aviation with Kartika Airlines. Kartika Airlines ordered 30 SSJ-100s (incl 15 options), but was already bankrupt when they ordered the Sukhoi, and a restart didnt happen.
Sky Aviation received two or three Sukhois, and operated them for a small amount of years, before they also became bankrupt.

China seems now with Transnusa try different approach in business model. If this's working, I do see they will try to replicate it by investing on smaller Airlines in other market to get footing on their Airliners. [/QOUTE]
Ofcourse they will replicate this way, i expect this will become a policy to force small countries/vassal states to accept chinese aircrafts, in order to make chinese made stuff 'popular and successful'.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
think you confuse Sky Aviation with Kartika Airlines. Kartika Airlines ordered 30 SSJ-100s (incl 15 options), but was already bankrupt when they ordered the Sukhoi, and a restart didnt happen.

Sky Aviation did order 12 Superjet, and 1 already come. However they run out money to operate before they can use those Superjet on schedule routes. You also right on Kartika Airlines on Superjet order. That Airlines has TNI-AU related foundation as one of the shareholder. However Kartika went bankrupt before any of Superjet can come.

From what I heard, after Kartika went down, the Russian approach Sky Aviation for cheap Financing on Superjet to take over some of the Superjet that previously aim for Kartika. However the Russian practically approach two Airlines that basically has Financial problem to begin with.

That's why I suspect the Chinese doing different way. They're practically become financiers and Investors for Transnusa. This seems their way to make sure the Transnusa deal didn't meet same problem as the Russian Superjet deals previously.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Sky Aviation did order 12 Superjet, and 1 already come. However they run out money to operate before they can use those Superjet on schedule routes. You also right on Kartika Airlines on Superjet order. That Airlines has TNI-AU related foundation as one of the shareholder. However Kartika went bankrupt before any of Superjet can come.

From what I heard, after Kartika went down, the Russian approach Sky Aviation for cheap Financing on Superjet to take over some of the Superjet that previously aim for Kartika. However the Russian practically approach two Airlines that basically has Financial problem to begin with.

That's why I suspect the Chinese doing different way. They're practically become financiers and Investors for Transnusa. This seems their way to make sure the Transnusa deal didn't meet same problem as the Russian Superjet deals previously.
Ive checked it and....Sky Aviation received three Sukhoi SSJ-100s!
- PK-ECL : Februari 2013
- PK-ECM : August 2013
- PK-ECN : November 2013

Some photos (sadly many photos i made and posted are not anymore available).

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Attached this video from Flight Channel on their recreation on Sriwijaya Air Flight 182. This's based on data that has been gather so far.

Just to add the information that being put in the Video, the Airlines do have good track record before this accident. However before COVID situation, they already in Financial problem. I don't want to put too much assumption, however with COVID already put Financial strained even to the most financially healthy Airlines globally, there concerned by some Industry analysis on the condition of the Aircraft in the Industry. Especially after some of them has been grounded for some time

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Yes

Attached this video from Flight Channel on their recreation on Sriwijaya Air Flight 182. This's based on data that has been gather so far.

Just to add the information that being put in the Video, the Airlines do have good track record before this accident. However before COVID situation, they already in Financial problem. I don't want to put too much assumption, however with COVID already put Financial strained even to the most financially healthy Airlines globally, there concerned by some Industry analysis on the condition of the Aircraft in the Industry. Especially after some of them has been grounded for some time
, Sriwijaya Air is actually a quite safe airline, this disaster is the first accident with fatalities among the passengers.

But thats the problem with aircrafts which are on ground/stored for a long period. Microbial growth in the fueltanks, corrosion at the weirdest places...even if you seal/cover Pitot Tubes and Static Pressure Sensors, you get sometimes dirt and insects in the openings.

Sandhi Yudha

It seems that the Hellenic Airforce will upgrade 38 16C/D Block 50 fighters, delivered in 1997 and 1998, to Block 52+ and 84 Block 52+ to Block 72.

I just wonder if it was possible to upgrade them all to F-16V Block 72.

swerve

Super Moderator
The Block 52+ are newer: between seven & thirteen years, I think. It may be a question of the expected life & also cost.