Gaming

Boagrius

Yours truly enjoying a bit of DCS multiplayer action in the F/A18C:

I was hunting Flankers in this particular sortie - my favourite prey :cool:;)

apachechoppper

Here is the game I started developing recently. It's inspired by games like arma, COD MW and also by some real Apache combat footages.
It's an early stage and its more like a prototype at this point, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

King Wally

Yours truly enjoying a bit of DCS multiplayer action in the F/A18C:

I was hunting Flankers in this particular sortie - my favourite prey :cool:;)
I'm a Flanker driver in DCS (recently picked up the Flaming Cliffs pack)… although this weeks DCS black Friday sale has the F18 25% off so I'm very closely considering buying it. Dam game is expensive but so much fun!

Edit - for anyone interested... you can actually get the basic game for free via the steam store with a Su-25 Frogfoot. You will need a joystick and a half decent PC. If you like it there's a tonne of Aircraft you can buy from WWII era to 3rd gen cold war right up to Gulf War I era 4th gen.

Boagrius

Yeah it's a great time to be a flight sim fan. I have made the jump to VR which makes recording tricky but the experience is amazing. The depth perception is the thing that wowed me most - you really feel like you're sitting in a cramped cockpit thousands of feet above the ground.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a Flanker driver in DCS (recently picked up the Flaming Cliffs pack)… although this weeks DCS black Friday sale has the F18 25% off so I'm very closely considering buying it. Dam game is expensive but so much fun!

Edit - for anyone interested... you can actually get the basic game for free via the steam store with a Su-25 Frogfoot. You will need a joystick and a half decent PC. If you like it there's a tonne of Aircraft you can buy from WWII era to 3rd gen cold war right up to Gulf War I era 4th gen.
I have it but getting it to run is a problem. It's on the back burner at the moment. Finding time to learn Cold Waters is hard enough, and that runs sweet on my system.

Boagrius

I have it but getting it to run is a problem. It's on the back burner at the moment. Finding time to learn Cold Waters is hard enough, and that runs sweet on my system.
If you haven't already you should check out Jive Turkey's YouTube channel. If memory serves he is an ex-USN sonarman who served on LA class SSNs during the Cold War. He does an excellent job of explaining some of the sub-surface warfare concepts as he applies them in-game, and sprinkles in some great anecdotes from his time in the service too.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If you haven't already you should check out Jive Turkey's YouTube channel. If memory serves he is an ex-USN sonarman who served on LA class SSNs during the Cold War. He does an excellent job of explaining some of the sub-surface warfare concepts as he applies them in-game, and sprinkles in some great anecdotes from his time in the service too.
Thanks, I will.

Rangitoto

I love, love, love DCS. I'm an F-18 driver, but my second favourite aircraft is the community A-4E, which I always fly in RNZAF A-4K early livery. I was privileged to be able to work on this aircraft in real life and I love flying it in DCS!
DCS_A4.png

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I love, love, love DCS. I'm an F-18 driver, but my second favourite aircraft is the community A-4E, which I always fly in RNZAF A-4K early livery. I was privileged to be able to work on this aircraft in real life and I love flying it in DCS!
You need a bigger screen :D have you cheated and installed the Kahu upgrade in the cockpit?

King Wally

View attachment 46865
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise the A4 was a free community aircraft! I'm downloading it now... my brother picked up the F5 so we were talking about creating some Vietnam themed missions which this would be perfect for.

King Wally

So as a follow up, I've got the A4 now and I'm loving it. In case you haven't tried this yourself yet I worked out how to attach 3 cannon pods and sinc them to my 2 on board cannons so all 5 fire simultaneously. It's like dog fighting with bloody star wars laser cannons! You can find some tutorials on youtube by "growling sidewinder" and the "Grim Reapers" that walk you through all the cockpit settings required.

Boagrius

So as a follow up, I've got the A4 now and I'm loving it. In case you haven't tried this yourself yet I worked out how to attach 3 cannon pods and sinc them to my 2 on board cannons so all 5 fire simultaneously. It's like dog fighting with bloody star wars laser cannons! You can find some tutorials on youtube by "growling sidewinder" and the "Grim Reapers" that walk you through all the cockpit settings required.
If you want to brush up on the systems of the full fidelity modules (Hornet and Tomcat are excellent, F16 is getting there) I'd highly recommend Red Kite's YouTube channel. For honing your actual flying skills Jabbers and Ralfidude are also worth a look.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second that one - I find his series on "how they do stuff" on subs absolutely fascinating - it's just him with a white board and "Leroy" talking about how they load torps or generate oxygen and it's gritty detail I really liked.

He did totally screw me over on his review for Call of the Wolf where he mainly gives a thumbs up to the authenticity of the opening scene. If he'd then gone on to say "and then one minute later, it turns into the A team with subs" he'd have saved me money buying the turd of a film :)

Boagrius

Another good YT Channel that has emerged recently is CasmoTV:

I believe he once flew in OH-58D's and uses his experience to explain various operational/tactical concepts in DCS. Fascinating stuff, and I am sure there will be plenty more of it when the DCS OH-58D module arrives.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For those into 'standard' gaming EPIC Games are doing a daily 'give-a-way' game, for the rest of December 2020

It includes a few older games, but more than a few are worth it, if you're paying nada & have never played them before.

To help illustrate this here are some of the titles...

Dying light / Resident evil 7 / The Witcher 3 / Mass effect Andromeda / Assassins Creed Origins / Metal Gear Solid 5 / Far Cry 3

the list is here...

Facebook

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Anyone here have any experience taking a PSP on-base?
This is an international defence forum and is not US centric. We are not in a position to comment upon individual national service base security standing orders. Such questions are best addressed to the unit concerned.

CheeZe

I just started playing Ace Combat 7. I know it's an arcadey flying game. But after playing both WW2 planes and more modern jets in War Thunder's realism mode, I have realized I have no idea how to fly jets in any sort realistic fashion without crashing them spectacularly. If DCS is a game where the job is have your aircraft explode in strange and unexpected ways, I might have to give that a whirl.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just started playing Ace Combat 7. I know it's an arcadey flying game. But after playing both WW2 planes and more modern jets in War Thunder's realism mode, I have realized I have no idea how to fly jets in any sort realistic fashion without crashing them spectacularly. If DCS is a game where the job is have your aircraft explode in strange and unexpected ways, I might have to give that a whirl.
Spectacular crashes are always good. Nothing like going out with a glorious bang. I do have DCS on my system, but am having problems running it. It's a work in progress.