Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming

Discussion in 'Intros & Off Topic' started by ngatimozart, Aug 23, 2019.

Share This Page

1. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

A thread for gaming posts.

2. Boagrius

Boagrius Active Member

Yours truly enjoying a bit of DCS multiplayer action in the F/A18C:

I was hunting Flankers in this particular sortie - my favourite prey :cool:;)

3. apachechoppper

apachechoppper New Member

Here is the game I started developing recently. It's inspired by games like arma, COD MW and also by some real Apache combat footages.
    It's an early stage and its more like a prototype at this point, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Boagrius likes this.
  4. King Wally

King Wally Member

I'm a Flanker driver in DCS (recently picked up the Flaming Cliffs pack)… although this weeks DCS black Friday sale has the F18 25% off so I'm very closely considering buying it. Dam game is expensive but so much fun!

Edit - for anyone interested... you can actually get the basic game for free via the steam store with a Su-25 Frogfoot. You will need a joystick and a half decent PC. If you like it there's a tonne of Aircraft you can buy from WWII era to 3rd gen cold war right up to Gulf War I era 4th gen.

5. Boagrius

Boagrius Active Member

Yeah it's a great time to be a flight sim fan. I have made the jump to VR which makes recording tricky but the experience is amazing. The depth perception is the thing that wowed me most - you really feel like you're sitting in a cramped cockpit thousands of feet above the ground.

6. ngatimozart

I have it but getting it to run is a problem. It's on the back burner at the moment. Finding time to learn Cold Waters is hard enough, and that runs sweet on my system.

7. Boagrius

Boagrius Active Member

If you haven't already you should check out Jive Turkey's YouTube channel. If memory serves he is an ex-USN sonarman who served on LA class SSNs during the Cold War. He does an excellent job of explaining some of the sub-surface warfare concepts as he applies them in-game, and sprinkles in some great anecdotes from his time in the service too.

ngatimozart likes this.
  8. ngatimozart

Thanks, I will.

Boagrius likes this.
  9. Rangitoto

Rangitoto New Member

I love, love, love DCS. I'm an F-18 driver, but my second favourite aircraft is the community A-4E, which I always fly in RNZAF A-4K early livery. I was privileged to be able to work on this aircraft in real life and I love flying it in DCS!
    DCS_A4.png

ngatimozart and Boagrius like this.
  10. ngatimozart

You need a bigger screen :D have you cheated and installed the Kahu upgrade in the cockpit?

Rangitoto likes this.
  11. King Wally

King Wally Member

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise the A4 was a free community aircraft! I'm downloading it now... my brother picked up the F5 so we were talking about creating some Vietnam themed missions which this would be perfect for.

ngatimozart and Rangitoto like this.
  12. King Wally

King Wally Member

So as a follow up, I've got the A4 now and I'm loving it. In case you haven't tried this yourself yet I worked out how to attach 3 cannon pods and sinc them to my 2 on board cannons so all 5 fire simultaneously. It's like dog fighting with bloody star wars laser cannons! You can find some tutorials on youtube by "growling sidewinder" and the "Grim Reapers" that walk you through all the cockpit settings required.

ngatimozart likes this.
  13. Boagrius

Boagrius Active Member

If you want to brush up on the systems of the full fidelity modules (Hornet and Tomcat are excellent, F16 is getting there) I'd highly recommend Red Kite's YouTube channel. For honing your actual flying skills Jabbers and Ralfidude are also worth a look.