Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs

swerve

Super Moderator
French-owned French-built, Korean-owned French-built, or Polish-built sections?

I wonder what the Russian-built sections of the new ships are like?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
France were originally planning for 4 Mistrals.

I would have thought that Canada might be a little bit interested. Singapore have expressed some interest in a acquiring a vessel of that type.

A real longshot would be NZ buying one to replace the troubled Canterbury ... but the price would have to really good for that to happen.
It has taken Canada 15 years to dumb down the JSS concept into a Berlin class ship. The Mistrals would rust out at the wharf before our government could make a decision, like they did with the Victoria purchase.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It has taken Canada 15 years to dumb down the JSS concept into a Berlin class ship.
And let's not forget that the project costs about three times as much as the same did for Germany. So you better budget around five billion dollars to buy those Mistral...

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
And let's not forget that the project costs about three times as much as the same did for Germany. So you better budget around five billion dollars to buy those Mistral...
Exactly right about the cost of building the Berlin class in Canada, should have outsourced the build to S Korea like the UK did with the Tide class. The savings would go a long way to buying a Mistral from France but politics force a local build. Canada could not build a complex warship of this size so it would never happen even if the money could be found.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
South Africa was looking for a LHD as I recall. It would certainly be useful to have something like this based in Africa.

Africa (other than North Africa) is a long way to deploy ships from most of the rest of the world.

Its one of the few places it could go where the Russians wouldn't be tempted to sink/recapture it.

An article with more detailed numbers relating to Mistrals.. I have to say, I believed the contractual fine was slightly higher on the 'non' delivery aspect.. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/mobile/business/article/head-of-u-s-navy-calls-for-nato-to-buy-mistral-ships/506869.html

"Russia has already paid 700 million euros ($900 million), and France is liable for a 251 million euro ($325 million) fine if they fail to deliver the two vessels."

I also recall Anatoly Isaikin told ITAR-TASS news agency back in mid August that the completion of payments on the signed contract, will be done in November 2015, after the second ship (Vladivostok) is delivered.

9 day trial of Sevastapol suspended for tech reasons.. French sea trials of Russian warship suspended - source | Reuters

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
South Africa was looking for a LHD as I recall. It would certainly be useful to have something like this based in Africa.

Africa (other than North Africa) is a long way to deploy ships from most of the rest of the world.

Its one of the few places it could go where the Russians wouldn't be tempted to sink/recapture it.
Let's get back to the real world here. Russia is not going to sink/recapture the Mistrals from a first world country, if France hands them over to one... that's an act of war, and not against a tiny pushover like Ukraine.

Also, according to CAST, the Vladivostok Mistral left port with Russian sailors on board.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/991451.html#cutid1

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Let's get back to the real world here. Russia is not going to sink/recapture the Mistrals from a first world country, if France hands them over to one... that's an act of war, and not against a tiny pushover like Ukraine.

Also, according to CAST, the Vladivostok Mistral left port with Russian sailors on board.

bmpd - "
Crossing threads, maybe they could sell them as the flagships of the new Scottish Navy. :D

Too soon?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member

bmpd - "
I don't know What's possible particularly when the French are involved . I know the Russians would rather see her scuttled than in NATO colours. I'm not saying they will sink her after handed over to the mighty Scottish navy. The French have plenty of experience on sinking a ship and no one finding out who did it.

JohnT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there enough Scotch whiskey on hand as it will likely be the only means to pay for a Mistral?
Haha, given that Scotland accounts for roughly one tenth of the the UK population/public spending the most we could afford would be a couple of frigates and maybe a support ship. You know, just enough to defend our stocks of whisky, cod and shortbread.

Ranger25

Staff member
I think the French will eventually complete the sale against NATO's wishes. The current delay to November is just that, a delay. Putin has his land Bridge now to the Crimea and will stop his forces and make nice with the West before the economic sanctions drive him into further recession. Unfortunately I think this transfer of western Naval tech will go through and provide a much needed upgrade to the russian fleet
If the US had a leader in DC they could have provided alternatives to the French allowing them their main goal of selling the ships. Why not provide financing/pledges to nations of need such as NZ, the Phillipines, and South Korea and float the Mistrals there to US allies.

KiwiRob

Why not provide financing/pledges to nations of need such as NZ, the Phillipines, and South Korea and float the Mistrals there to US allies.
Out of those three nations only the Phillipines makes sence, NZ doesn't need one despite what some think, South Korea has there own, the Dokdo Class, which I'm sure they can build quicker and cheaper than a Mistral.

swerve

Super Moderator
Including a couple of million or so people living between his troops & the Crimean border.

Wake me up when he's captured Mariupol, Berdyansk, Genichesk & the coast in between. At the moment, his troops & their local allies are well over 300km by road from the nearest land crossing. It's like saying the German army has captured Calais, when its units drive through Aachen.

bdique

Out of those three nations only the Phillipines makes sence, NZ doesn't need one despite what some think, South Korea has there own, the Dokdo Class, which I'm sure they can build quicker and cheaper than a Mistral.
PN is facing recruitment and manpower issues. I don't think they will have the capability to operate such a ship soon - as of now, there's already issues manning the recently acquired frigates.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
He does? That's news to everyone involved.
To everyone uninvolved too... :p:

Including a couple of million or so people living between his troops & the Crimean border.

Wake me up when he's captured Mariupol, Berdyansk, Genichesk & the coast in between. At the moment, his troops & their local allies are well over 300km by road from the nearest land crossing. It's like saying the German army has captured Calais, when its units drive through Aachen.
Well let's be fair, it's primarily a question of the political will and perception of western intentions. Russian troops could be in Nikolaev, inside of a week, if the decision is made.

His conclusion may still be correct. Putin may well bring the rebels to compromise for his own reasons.