F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)

t68

I agree Sequestration will continue to suppress military expenditures under the current Administration. Even in a more dangerous world.

The F15SE and FA18ASH may be a logical fit to this though. Boeing is aggressively seeking to keep the FA18 line open. Why not negotiate a deal to upgrade, say 24 annually on the line. Lower cost than an F35.

The F22 line could be largely funded via international sales to The IAF, RAAF, and JDF.
I think the RAAF would be interested in a FB-22 that was proposed years ago,F22 is an air superiority fighter we don't share borders with anyone multi role fighters are what we need ala F35A

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I'd like a thorough review of our new aircraft. At this point I'd like to restart the F22 line with a "B" model and offer it to several key allies who wanted to original frame. We can use the foreign sales to assist in recapitalizing the line.

Additional negotiate with Boeing to upgrade legacy airframes to a 4++ model. Upgrade the F15 to F15SE 24 at a time as well as the FA18 to the FA18ASH.

Use these frames while we limp into a F35 IOC while developing a separate, purpose build, 6th gen Naval and Air Force Aircraft

Thoughts?
The F-22 is not coming back, ever, and that's a shame. The F-15SE (silent eagle) is not going to happen because the USAF doesn't want it. The advanced Superhornet upgrade might.

Delta204

Do you have the hundreds of billions of dollars to make it work?

While it hasn't been in the news lately...the defense budget drawdown is still a reality. And will be for at least the next two years, and probably longer.
Agreed. In this situation I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze; the amount of money and risk involved in a Raptor restart makes it prohibitive. Only if the prospect of an immediate and significant conflict with a major power would such an idea even be entertained by the US. Absent this type of scenario defense funds are probably better spent on future programs such as the F/A-XX / F-X programs currently underway by the USN and USAF. Hopefully close US allies will also be invited to participate. This is probably the best bet in the long run.

barney41

Why invest in the past when you can invest in the future? The proposed 6Gen jets will do to Raptor what the latter did to -teen jets.
Japan snubbed the SH notwithstanding the ASH roadmap Boeing was pushing. SK wisely did the same to the Silent Eagle. They preferred to look forward rather than behind.
All the countries you mention are commited to the F-35 as their primary TACair platform for the coming decades.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree Sequestration will continue to suppress military expenditures under the current Administration. Even in a more dangerous world.

The F15SE and FA18ASH may be a logical fit to this though. Boeing is aggressively seeking to keep the FA18 line open. Why not negotiate a deal to upgrade, say 24 annually on the line. Lower cost than an F35.

The F22 line could be largely funded via international sales to The IAF, RAAF, and JDF.
The 'advanced' models of F-15 and the proposed Super Hornet configuration aren't 'lower cost' than the current LRIP F-35 aircraft, nor are they more capable aircraft.

The F-22A line is cost prohibitive to restart, the acquisition of that aircraft most probably is beyond the USA's reach and is most certainly beyond that of Australia, India (IAF? Really? Perhaps you meant the Israeli Air and Space Force?) and whilst the Japanese Air Self-Defence Force could perhaps afford it, there is the small matter of the aircraft never being allowed to be exported, to overcome before it could, you know, be exported...

Now there's only been about 7000 pages of debate about these issues on this forum, but I'm sure you can find a fresh argument...

:rolleyes:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A V-22 transported an F-135 engine to USS Wasp today to demonstrate the types capacity to be able to do so.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel64869839/status/601851211407597568/photo/1

Good to see it done, probably the best time to do it what with 6 F-35's aboard her right now trying to write the manual for F-35B ops on their amphibs.
To demonstrate the capability to shut up several vocal critics who have a habit of hitting up Senator McCain etc on twitter I suspect...

;)

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A V-22 transported an F-135 engine to USS Wasp today to demonstrate the types capacity to be able to do so.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel64869839/status/601851211407597568/photo/1

Good to see it done, probably the best time to do it what with 6 F-35's aboard her right now trying to write the manual for F-35B ops on their amphibs.
I was impressed with the V-22 before now im really impressed with the capability of this craft it is maturing into a jack of all trades, I hope the RN are taking notice for the QE class.

CD

SpazSinbad

I was impressed with the V-22 before now im really impressed with the capability of this craft it is maturing into a jack of all trades, I hope the RN are taking notice for the QE class.

CD
I have not seen any further testing evidence (perhaps because I have not looked for it for some years) but anyway this PDF may inspire the RNers for their CVFs (urged on by F-35Bs carrying out SRVLs may be?): [Should not be a problem now on CVNs for USN]

MV-22B OSPREY SHORT TAKEOFF AND MINIMUM RUN-ON LANDING TESTS ABOARD LHD CLASS SHIPS 2008

www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=17415 (PDF 1.1Mb)

cdxbow

This link talks about the US Marines testing of the F35B Marine F-35 pilots conduct 'dogfights' during sea trials . It seems things are going well. The really interesting comment was this:

"Maj. Richard Rusnok, the F-35B detachment officer in charge for Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron 22, declined to offer specifics on the aircraft's classified radio system, but said pilots can communicate with the ship and each other without using radios. The system, which is shrouded in secrecy, allows pilots to silently and seamlessly divvy up targets."

A radio system which isn't a radio system????????

Last edited:

t68

This link talks about the US Marines testing of the F35B Marine F-35 pilots conduct 'dogfights' during sea trials . It seems things are going well. The really interesting comment was this:

"Maj. Richard Rusnok, the F-35B detachment officer in charge for Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron 22, declined to offer specifics on the aircraft's classified radio system, but said pilots can communicate with the ship and each other without using radios. The system, which is shrouded in secrecy, allows pilots to silently and seamlessly divvy up targets."

A radio system which isn't a radio system????????

Encrypted text by Voice?

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they mean to imply its not regular radio chatter to divy up the load.

I believe this is part of the encrypted network. I believe the system balances the load, but can be overruled or adjusted by humans. System can take a look at what weapons are available on what platforms, distance to objected etc and make a decision.

Its part of reducing the workload on the pilot. In the middle of a fight or with lots of threats it helps allocate resources more evenly with the pilot able to override but most likely the right choice has already been made.

cdxbow

I think they mean to imply its not regular radio chatter to divy up the load.

I believe this is part of the encrypted network. I believe the system balances the load, but can be overruled or adjusted by humans. System can take a look at what weapons are available on what platforms, distance to objected etc and make a decision.

Its part of reducing the workload on the pilot. In the middle of a fight or with lots of threats it helps allocate resources more evenly with the pilot able to override but most likely the right choice has already been made.
Thanks for that, sounds right. I was thinking of something more exotic, and secret, such as infrared, given the 360 degree sensors on the F35 family.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that, sounds right. I was thinking of something more exotic, and secret, such as infrared, given the 360 degree sensors on the F35 family.
Who said it wasn't exotic? There are certainly systems to use lasers to communicate some distances, but AFAIK not to a moving jet from a ship at a decent rate.

It could be through AWACs or Sat or directly through links to the ships. It may even be possible to embed information in radar pings and returns, or similar. There are plenty of options to make it a bit more exotic. I don't think it will be ever clear exactly how data moves around and what not. To the pilot it won't matter.

Avionics Magazine :: F-35 Electronic Warfare Suite: More Than Self-Protection

While its about EW, it really doesn't matter. Sensor fusion links all data together to form a picture. Its not just about target ABC either. It will look at range, speed, direction, fuel, weapons, threat to work out who does what.

You can then see how powerful this is particularly with the F-35B. Where as the harrier was lucky to get some sort of radar. The B's will be several generations ahead.

barney41

The previous paradigm had pilots try and make sense of sensor data and rely heavily on voice comms to coordinate with their buddies.
OTOH, the F-35s are datalinked to generate a single integrated shared picure of the battlespace on each jet's panoramic cockpit display. The idea is for the computers to make sense of the flood of onboard and offboard sensor data and present distilled, actionable information to the pilots. If a picture is worth a thousand words then this capability should cut radio chatter significantly and support faster and smarter decision-making,

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

Another 'MELTING DECK' meme

A nice summary of the recently concluded Operational Test conducted aboard the USS Wasp. The Marines put the jet thru it's paces in the air and demonstrated their ability to sustain operations aboard ship. Hopefully Congress agrees to the proposed 450-aircraft block, significantly reducing acquisiion costs and making the aircraft even more attractive to prospective buyers.

ANALYSIS: F-35B poised for prime time at last - 6/13/2015 - Flight Global
Well might one wonder about some of that analysis if this paragraph made the cut:
"...twice the thrust of the R-R Pegasus engine on the Boeing AV-8B Harrier, and the heat exhaust emitted by the F-35 during a vertical landing can melt an untreated carrier deck. So the protective coating makes sure the aircraft can operate safely aboard ship...."
THERMION is NON-SKID and WILL NOT MELT to preserve the NON-SKID component [and is more hard wearing to last longer than conventional non-skid] and the deck takes care of itself [with some help from extra intercostal (I like that word) steel plates as necessary under VL landing spots].

barney41

Yss, good point re Thermion. I recall reading somewhere that the Brits have developed a very similar compound to protect their CVF decks.