F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)

SpazSinbad

Thanks. Noted the little curiosity ie...the development of techniques required for large scale preparation and application of a Thermal Metal Spray coating (TMS), over an area in excess of 19,500m² ...
CVF Flight Deck covers 16,000 sq.M AFAIK.
According to the internet a 4.5 acre CVN Nimitz Class flight deck is 18,211 sq.M whilst the new FORD class will be larger so perhaps the quote refers to the future possibilities? A knowledgeable person on these matters has said that THERMION or equivalent was looked at by the UK/RN back in 2006 or so. Applying conventional non-skid flight deck coatings on CVNs is not an easy task and must be done regularly. THERMION or equivalent (TMS?) is touted to last ten years so even if more expensive there will be savings over this time - money particularly.
The F-35 Introduces Change Across the Maritime Fleet | SLDInfo

The 'intercostal' solution at the specific LHA landing spots:
"...Heat and stress continue to be priority problems for the aircraft. The F-35B creates 10-20 sec. of thermal input - 400-500F exhaust - during landings, Navy documents show, apparently requiring a 12 X 12-ft. steel plate 1-in. thick for specific primary landing spots to dissipate intense heat and prevent deck warping. There also is concern about "built-up thermal loading with multiple close-sequence landings."..."

Source: 13 OCT 2014 AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY; DEFENSE TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
It costs more than current deck coatings, but current coatings (for the RN at least) apparently need to be re-applied every 3 years so the fact this lasts 10 should offset the cost.

Hope they make it a standard coating, means we have more decks which can take an F-35B in the event of an emergency.

barney41

If noise is the biggest concern in such a complex and ground-breaking enterprise, then the program is in good shape. The critics have been largely silent as of late. Operating jets off of ships was always going to be a noisy affair. Not rocket science, they'll figure it out.

barney41

By all accounts theF-35B has successfully hurdled the Operational Readiness Inspection and the USMC Commandant is widely expected to declare the jet as achieving IOC status in the coming days.

Despite not enjoying 4-ship sensor fusion and with a HMD not at full capability, thr new jet acquitted itself well when pitted against a larger red force. And it apparently did well in CAS exercises as well.

Dunford Mulls F-35B IOC Decision; 4 Bs Take Out 9 Attackers « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary
WASHINGTON: During the Marine’s recent operational readiness test of the F-35B, four of the Marine aircraft went up against nine enemy aircraft.

“It went very poorly for the bad guys,” Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, deputy commandant for aviation, told me this afternoon. Davis provided few details, saying they were classified, He did say that the F-35s faced a threat that “we have never put an F-16 or a Harrier against.” The F-35Bs, he said, did a “great job.”

I asked Davis about the recent news that the F-35A did not fare that well in dogfight conditions against an F-16. “I love the F-16. It was a great airplane. Still is pretty good, but i would not want to be in a fight against an F-35.

In a clear message to A-10 advocates, Davis said the F-35B performed extremely well at Close Air Support missions using Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) and laster-guided GBU-12s. The aircraft does need a cannon, he conceded, for some missions. The gun is currently undergoing its first tests mounted on an aircraft but it won’t be deployed on the plane until 2017 when the Block 3F software is installed. But Davis was unequivocal in his enthusiasm for the aircraft. “No airplane in the world will be able to touch this jet at Close Air Support,” he told reporters

more at the link.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
By all accounts theF-35B has successfully hurdled the Operational Readiness Inspection and the USMC Commandant is widely expected to declare the jet as achieving IOC status in the coming days.

Despite not enjoying 4-ship sensor fusion and with a HMD not at full capability, thr new jet acquitted itself well when pitted against a larger red force. And it apparently did well in CAS exercises as well.

Dunford Mulls F-35B IOC Decision; 4 Bs Take Out 9 Attackers « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary
WASHINGTON: During the Marine’s recent operational readiness test of the F-35B, four of the Marine aircraft went up against nine enemy aircraft.

“It went very poorly for the bad guys,” Lt. Gen. Jon Davis, deputy commandant for aviation, told me this afternoon. Davis provided few details, saying they were classified, He did say that the F-35s faced a threat that “we have never put an F-16 or a Harrier against.” The F-35Bs, he said, did a “great job.”

I asked Davis about the recent news that the F-35A did not fare that well in dogfight conditions against an F-16. “I love the F-16. It was a great airplane. Still is pretty good, but i would not want to be in a fight against an F-35.

In a clear message to A-10 advocates, Davis said the F-35B performed extremely well at Close Air Support missions using Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs) and laster-guided GBU-12s. The aircraft does need a cannon, he conceded, for some missions. The gun is currently undergoing its first tests mounted on an aircraft but it won’t be deployed on the plane until 2017 when the Block 3F software is installed. But Davis was unequivocal in his enthusiasm for the aircraft. “No airplane in the world will be able to touch this jet at Close Air Support,” he told reporters

more at the link.
For every good story about the F-35, there seems to be a bad one. Clearly there is BS flying from both sides but it is getting harder to filter the BS.

Here's a link contradicting the recent USMC version of successful sea trials.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eliability-found-wanting-in-shipboard-testing

Ranger25

Staff member
For every good story about the F-35, there seems to be a bad one. Clearly there is BS flying from both sides but it is getting harder to filter the BS.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ike to keep abreast of both sides on this one

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Definitely two sides to the entire F35 debate. Bloomberg noted a low overall readiness rate which is no real surprise. That will get better with experience and time as we all understand.

Overall it seems like it's combination of RCS, LO jamming and sensor fusion make it a major step forward in technology, especially for the USMC compared to the Harriers.
Thanks for the link, I like to keep abreast of both sides on this one
I think the F-35B is a big step forward when compared to the Harrier despite its cost and for the RN, Italian Navy, and USMC, this aircraft is the only way to maintain maritime fast jet capability as all no longer have CATOBAR (USMC still has some minimal via USN nuke carriers).

The verdict on the A and C is still out. Software, sensor fusion, and BVR missiles all have to work as specified in order to justify the huge outlay of cash. A B version has proven its superior STOVL, has better range and payload. Sensor fusion, networking, and stealth when confirmed for the "B" are all bonus items. However, for the A and C, these latter items must work or these two versions will be failures.

Last edited:

barney41

Rather, sensor fusion, networking, and stealth are the raison d'être for the entire JSF program, not mere bonuses. They are key attributes to redefining the air combat paradigm. What works for the B will apply as well to the A and C.
This is worth watching.
https://youtu.be/zxK6O5--9Z0

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Rather, sensor fusion, networking, and stealth are the raison d'être for the entire JSF program, not mere bonuses. They are key attributes to redefining the air combat paradigm. What works for the B will apply as well to the A and C.
This is worth watching.
https://youtu.be/zxK6O5--9Z0
The point I am making is the B is a vast improvement over the Harrier without the main JSF raison d'être and is a sole solution for some users. Other users have options if they deem the raison d'être has not been met to their satisfaction albeit not very good ones.

Stampede

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...debate has come to an end. Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
G'day John

The problem I have is that I really want the F35 to work.
Like many I read as much as I can from both sides to get a clear picture as to the aircrafts true capablilies and hopefully not be too clouded by my own bias.
My belief is that it will be a black or white aircraft in that it will be either be a stellar success of a complete failure with not much scope in between.
For that conclusion only time will tell.
Fingers crossed there is more good news than bad and we must remember the USA do make a good aircraft and as such have dominated the airspace for decades.
Hopefully a F35 equiped RAAF will do the same.
Disappointed that the B does'nt look like it's going to find a place on the LHD's.
However I think that debate has come to an end.

Regards S
I hope it is a success to and the odds are swinging in that direction. There is no alternative for most Western nations that need state of the art technology that can remain viable for the next 30 years. If the PAK FA, J-20, and J-31 turned out to be failures then perhaps updated Gen 4+ would do but I wouldn't want to bet on that.:)

barney41

Gen 4+ fighters aren't going to cut it against modern SAMs. These pose the most serious threat to aircraft in the modern battlespace and was a primary driver in the development of the JSF.

Stampede

I hope it is a success to and the odds are swinging in that direction. There is no alternative for most Western nations that need state of the art technology that can remain viable for the next 30 years. If the PAK FA, J-20, and J-31 turned out to be failures then perhaps updated Gen 4+ would do but I wouldn't want to bet on that.:)
Yes John the F35 is realisticly too big to fail.
So to some extent it's a bit like talking about the supermarine spitfire in 1937.
Its unknown, but has promise.
I do have faith in stealth and data fusion so yes the foreign contenders will be on the radar to watch to see how they develope and yes no one likes flying over enemy ground with missiles coming up at them. Best not to be seen
Has the last fighter pilot being born? I don't think so but its a long way from Biggles!!!
Future aviation combat will be testing and interesting.
Now just what is Canada going to fly into the future ?

Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Gen 4+ fighters aren't going to cut it against modern SAMs. These pose the most serious threat to aircraft in the modern battlespace and was a primary driver in the development of the JSF.
The NGJ better be happening at some point as the JSF's stealth is not likely to be viable in the longer term with new advances in radar likely in 10-15 years.