F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)

SpazSinbad

That is CF-05 which along with CF-03 (the dog with the fancy tail) will be the ones (which have been suitably modified/instrumented) for the first arrests and catapults. VX-23 at PaxRiver is the 'Salty Dog' test squadron who have undertaken the 'Shake Rattle and Roll' field arrest testing there and at Lakehurst. I would point to some Youtube videos (explaining the process at recent TAILHOOK 2014 briefings) but these links do not seem to be allowed here.

SpazSinbad

That is CF-05 which along with CF-03 (the dog with the fancy tail) will be the ones (which have been suitably modified/instrumented) for the first arrests and catapults. VX-23 at PaxRiver is the 'Salty Dog' test squadron who have undertaken the 'Shake Rattle and Roll' field arrest testing there and at Lakehurst. I would point to some Youtube videos (explaining the process at recent TAILHOOK 2014 briefings) but these links do not seem to be allowed here.
Google Search for 'Hook14 Videos Youtube' and they should be at top of list. These videos are most informative briefings. Meanwhile according to latest news from Gen. Bogdan the two F-35Cs are at YUMA enroute to San Diego. Whilst Bogdan has been quoted that the first deck landing will be an arrest - I would have thought (not being USN) that the first deck landing would be a HOOK UP touch and go for both pilot and LSO to allow them to 'get their eye in' for that next first arrest/catapult? I guess the publicity and cameras rolling will have them arresting as suggested. Not even the X-47B did that. But whatever....

Roger that Spaz, stopping by Naval Air Station, Fort Worth, on the way to the boat, airwing that is a catch bruda,,,, and thanks for sharing. Tommorrow is the big day, Shake, Rattle, and Roll is going "operational" for real, be careful out there gents! brat

Magoo said:
Amen to that Magoo, it was the most no sweat arrestment, I believe I have ever seen??? When do you expect CF-05? rather anti-climatic, but I still say it should have been a two ship??? You're right though, it appeared from the video to be a rather long straight in approach, not a bobble, right down the rail to the third wire! absolute perfection!

SpazSinbad

The USN No.2 video, with the head on view point up the approach path, is unusual. Often videos are from the LSO side or above, from the goofer deck. Anyway the No.2 video shows - especially in the first approach - the pilot 'nibbling' to the right a couple of times, because the angle deck centre line is moving always from left to right during the approach. If the pilot is on centre line he still has to micro manage 'nibbles' to the right to stay there. However I agree the aircraft nose was steady (with hook down we can see the steady orange for being at Optimum Angle of Attack) with a good steady descent rate down the glideslope. Otherwise the IDLC control surfaces can move about quite rapidly to keep things on an even keel as seen.

When the hook is up for the touch and goes we see this 'approach light' blinking to indicate this. Probably there is an over ride switch for it 'not to blink' when the hook up touch and goes are intentional (during FCLP ashore for example).

Anyway must have been a magic day for all concerned and well done them. :)

SpazSinbad

This video seems to show the landing (several repeats) from a different angle, along with what would appear to be a number (or again repetitive clip) of 'touch and goes' (0:55) and possibly and aborted approach (1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOt0a_tGRg
IF we are looking at the No.2 USN video, and press reports are correct (that no catapults were made because aircraft test sensors were not OK) then the video under discussion does not show the approaches in correct order. The wave off could have been for any number of reasons (foul deck or procedural) whilst the hook up touch and goes, I would have thought, were natural for both LSO and pilots to 'get their eye in' before the final two arrests (both no.3 target wires by all accounts).

SpazSinbad

BreakDaFence reported this 'spuddie':
"...There was one glitch to today’s testing. The F-35C’s first catapult launches were postponed because of glitches with some of the test sensors, which were not relaying data to testers...."
Meanwhile catshots and arrests today - I hope this Youtube link is acceptable:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHanYrZ2ZM"]F-35C Lightning II Conducts Developmental Testing aboard USS Nimitz - YouTube[/nomedia]

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Any updates on how the F-35C sea trials are going?
Here's a link from the defense-aerospace website that I saw this morning:

F-35C Initial At-Sea Testing Progressing Aboard USS Nimitz

The relevant paragraphs are below:

Through Nov. 6, the fourth day of at-sea testing, two test F-35C aircraft have completed 12 flights. During those 12 flights, the aircraft flew a combined 12.7 flight hours and accomplished 203 test points.

The Navy's newest fixed-wing fighter performed 55 catapult launches, 84 planned touch-and-go landings and 57 arrested landings. Through four days of at-sea testing, the test team successfully landed during every attempt, with zero bolters, or failures to catch an arresting cable on the flight deck.
It appears that all is going well!!