F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)

SpazSinbad

Well I am pretty jazzed about watching that C come aboard. It really ought to be a sight.
Recent AvWeek article about engine refits had the F-35C trials with USS Nimitz in November this year. However Gen. Bogdan has noted this and other trials may be delayed due the engine fire issues.

SpazSinbad

Recent AvWeek article about engine refits had the F-35C trials with USS Nimitz in November this year. However Gen. Bogdan has noted this and other trials may be delayed due the engine fire issues.
SCHEDULE FRICTION 22 Sep 2014 Amy Butler
"....He [LtGen. Bogdan] was referring to events such as the first arrested landing and catapult trials on the USS Nimitz planned for November, and possibly items leading to the U.S. Marine Corps initial operational capability (IOC) date of July 1, 2015. He affirms that Nimitz tests are still on the table, and a program source notes that of the two aircraft slated for those tests, CF-3 is cleared to get to the deck. CF-5 is still undergoing validation flights for deck work, but these are not impeded by the flight-envelope restrictions, the source adds...."
Aviation Week & Space Technology 22 Sep 2014

airwingspotter

I am fortunate to be living in Dallas Ft worth area and do aircraft spotting in LMT plant / NAS Ft worth. recently we have been spotting quite a bit of F35 traffic even in the weekends!..

DAveC

SCHEDULE FRICTION 22 Sep 2014 Amy Butler

Aviation Week & Space Technology 22 Sep 2014
Thanks for the update Spaz, I am really looking forward to those first videos of the C coming aboard the Nimitz, even though I AM the Air Force Brat,,,, I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the C with her bigger wing and tail, she is a "looker".

Eskodas

The problem is your assuming the F-35B will take off vertically. It wont, it'll use a Short Take Off over 544 feet with 2 Aim-120's, 2-SDBs and full tank of fuel. A Wasp has a flight deck length of 844 feet.

SpazSinbad

F-35B 400-500F exhaust during VLs on Flat Decks USN

Interesting FACTOID in this story about the F-35B heat - often quoted as being 1,700 degrees F (which I always thought was the afterburner signature - the F-35B is NOT in A/B during a VL - but anyway...).
Shipshape Amphibious ship upgrades vital to JSF and MV-22 deployments
13 OCT 2014 Michael Fahey AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY; DEFENSE TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
"...Heat and stress continue to be priority problems for the aircraft. The F-35B creates 10-20 sec. of thermal input - 400-500F exhaust - during landings, Navy documents show, apparently requiring a 12 X 12-ft. steel plate 1-in. thick for specific primary landing spots to dissipate intense heat and prevent deck warping. There also is concern about "built-up thermal loading with multiple close-sequence landings."..."

SpazSinbad

10-20 sec. of thermal input - 400-500F exhaust F=35B VL

Interesting FACTOID in this story about the F-35B heat - often quoted as being 1,700 degrees F (which I always thought was the afterburner signature - the F-35B is NOT in A/B during a VL - but anyway...).

Shipshape Amphibious ship upgrades vital to JSF and MV-22 deployments
13 OCT 2014 Michael Fahey AVIATION WEEK & SPACE TECHNOLOGY; DEFENSE TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
"...Heat and stress continue to be priority problems for the aircraft. The F-35B creates 10-20 sec. of thermal input - 400-500F exhaust - during landings, Navy documents show, apparently requiring a 12 X 12-ft. steel plate 1-in. thick for specific primary landing spots to dissipate intense heat and prevent deck warping. There also is concern about "built-up thermal loading with multiple close-sequence landings."..."
JSF F-35B Landing on Concrete Lecture
Uploaded on Apr 4, 2010 Paul Bevilaqua [LiftFan F135 Designer] Lecture Excerpt
youtube.com/watch?v=m8wSeIz9uL8

The C model with the Bigger wing, and beefed up landing gears looks so much better than the A and B model....

DAveC
I think so, when can I come down to hang out with you, I have on old Canon F-1 at the post office I need to get a run-down on. The poor old Nikkormats are in my sock drawer. Anyway, I am looking for a nice 85mm to go on the front as it is a body only??? Hope you see a few Cs and I am looking forward to those first arrestments on the Nimitz.

airwingspotter

Sure! Air Force Brat;

If you are here in DAllas Ft worth area let me know... there is always F35 traffic here in Lockheed martin. Just that the 85mm will not be sufficient for aviation photography.... More on the Canon 100-400mm....

DAveC

I think so, when can I come down to hang out with you, I have on old Canon F-1 at the post office I need to get a run-down on. The poor old Nikkormats are in my sock drawer. Anyway, I am looking for a nice 85mm to go on the front as it is a body only??? Hope you see a few Cs and I am looking forward to those first arrestments on the Nimitz.
Jeff Head from the F-35 thread of the Sino Defense forum reports that the Charlie has an appointment with the Nimitz on Nov 3, off our West Coast, how cool will that be, Christmas in November.

Sure! Air Force Brat;

If you are here in DAllas Ft worth area let me know... there is always F35 traffic here in Lockheed martin. Just that the 85mm will not be sufficient for aviation photography.... More on the Canon 100-400mm....

DAveC
Roger that, I am contemplating making the switch to digital, I was thinking about a Nikon D-300,,,, would my older non-ai lenses work, just without autofocus? Yes it is off topic, perhaps you could pm me airwing. My last visit to Texas was to San Antonio, my Dad received a stem-cell transplant at Wilford Hall, lots of C-5 traffic as that was the heavy maintenance depot...hopefully next week we will be seeing videos of the C coming aboard the Nimitz??? weather permitting of course?

airwingspotter

AIrforce brat! I do not know how to PM here in this forums...D300 is a good camera however for aviation photography I do not recommend a manual lens! it would be too slow to catch any moving subjects...

Airwingspotter

Roger that, I am contemplating making the switch to digital, I was thinking about a Nikon D-300,,,, would my older non-ai lenses work, just without autofocus? Yes it is off topic, perhaps you could pm me airwing. My last visit to Texas was to San Antonio, my Dad received a stem-cell transplant at Wilford Hall, lots of C-5 traffic as that was the heavy maintenance depot...hopefully next week we will be seeing videos of the C coming aboard the Nimitz??? weather permitting of course?
Three more days, this is like Christmas,,,, will there be one????? or two,,,, I am almost beside myself with anticipation, I hope its two, but prolly just one in light of the latest, but I really hope its a two ship, it really ought to be a two ship, just because,,,,,I really can't wait to see a two ship, with the formation break and trapping on the Nimitz.

SAlty Dog with USS NImitz came by NAS Ft worth today! probably from Lockheed martin! Here are one of the shots!

airwingspotter.com
Now that my boy is a "catch", I am just thrilled to have someone on that really is up close and personal with the F-35, as well as someone who appreciates the C as much as I do.... so who is Salty Dog????? oh and check your pm box