F-35 Program - General Discussion

taskforce88

Not sure how big a deal this is relative to the F-35. I would like to think there is enough SATCOM capacity to handle ALIS files if all ocean cables were cut which I think is unlikely. I have found Defense-Aerospace to be very negatively biased towards the F-35 and often use POGO as there source for anti F-35 info.
I find Defense-Aerospace have nothing good to say about the F-35 program, often citing Russian media to discredit the aircraft. The editor does appear on RT from time to time - as does another anti-F-35 'expert' Pierre Sprey. It is almost as if the aircraft is a threat to the editor himself.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I find Defense-Aerospace have nothing good to say about the F-35 program, often citing Russian media to discredit the aircraft. The editor does appear on RT from time to time - as does another anti-F-35 'expert' Pierre Sprey. It is almost as if the aircraft is a threat to the editor himself.
It is. He is paid primarily by Dassault and the Eurofighter consortium and not Lockheed Martin.

Anytime the F-35 wins an order his funding base is at risk.

SpazSinbad

I'll guess different viewers [of the video - turn off music if you don't like it] will have differing opinions. [I ALMOST want to sign up for the RAAF] :) For me it is good to see these B (minimal fast jet experience) students master the F-35A AND BEYOND! :)

F-35 Lightning II: B-Course Class 17-BBL Published on Jan 14, 2018
"The 62d Fighter Squadron proudly presents its first F-35 B-Course Graduates, class 17-BBL. This was the second ever F-35 B-Course and the first all lieutenant class, making them the Air Force’s youngest F-35 wingmen. These 6 new graduates will go on to the combat Air Force and continue to fly the world’s most advanced 5th generation fighter.

A special thanks to all of the Spikes, instructors, airmen, and maintainers that helped make this experience possible. Spike Aces…357 and Counting… SPIKE!"

Last edited:

vonnoobie

Its bull mate. Besides it being unlikely for sources to admit to such a thing because it would near enough be treason to do so need only one sentence in the article to make everything suspect.

He underlined that the fighter jets can travel from Israel to Iran twice without refueling
Shortest distance between Israel and Iran is about 900km (From IDF airbase to target in Iran even longer) Going back and forth twice is 3,600km on an Aircraft that has a 2,220km range. Its bull.

SpazSinbad

And let us not forget that a few years ago now LM and Israeli boffins/manufacturers were collaborating to develop stealthy CFT/EFT conformal/external fuel tanks for the F-35i. AFAIK we have not heard much else. Perhaps these extra fuel tanks were involved in missions?

SpazSinbad

IAF F-35i 'ADIR' "over Beirut" but photo not seen in video - first use in combat claim by Commander Israeli Air Force, Major General Amikam Norkin 22 May 2018

SpazSinbad

There were posts in the RAAF thread at least about 'training with the F-35', and probably elsewhere in this forum, however this video posted here because it is more general about how NEW PILOTS will excel in the F-35; because they have no baggage to overcome, according to not only Billie Flynn in this video, but other quotes from experienced F-35 pilots.

SpazSinbad

F-35A serves a curvy Winder: F-35 missile tests at Eglin AFB 12 Jun 2018 F-35 missile tests at Eglin AFB
“F-35A Lightning II test aircraft assigned to the 31st Test Evaluation Squadron from Edwards Air Force Base, California, released AIM-9X missiles at QF-16 targets during a live-fire test over an Air Force range in the Gulf of Mexico on June 12, 2018. The Joint Operational Test Team conducted the missions as part of Block 3F Initial Operational Test and Evaluation. Photo by Master Sgt. Michael Jackson, 40th Flight Test Squadron” https://www.dvidshub.net/download/image/4523036 & https://www.dvidshub.net/download/image/4523038F-35A Curvy Winder FIRE & CURVE composite.jpg

Boagrius

From what I can gather, the idea of replacing the F135 with an adaptive cycle engine in the mid 2020's onward seems to be gaining momentum.

"Both GE and P&W are already working on a related but separate development effort called the Adaptive Engine Transition Programme (AETP). The AETP was described when it was announced in 2016 as an effort to develop and test adaptive engines for a sixth-generation fighter propulsion system, with the possibility of re-engining the F-35 with a more powerful and fuel efficient alternative to the P&W F135.

But the new award clarifies that the competing AETP engines — embodied by GE’s XA100 and P&W’s XA101 demonstrators — are focused on a potential bid to re-engine the F-35 in the mid-2020s."

USAF starts work on defining adaptive engine for future fighter

Could get extremely interesting from a capability standpoint...

SpazSinbad

Canuks just might buy second hand (only flown by little old ladies on Sundays) RAAF F-35As because by that time the RAAF will have seen the light to transition to F-35Bs! YAY!!!! :)