F-35 Program - General Discussion

Boagrius

Only reason I even said anything or posted the 787, was I thought it was silly as hell of someone posting a vid of a combat jet doing an extremely basic thing that every single combat jet can do since the 1950's, as a "lol where the haters at now" kinda claim.
Not really. The (often absurd) criticism of the jet over the years has targeted some pretty basic things. I think you'll find this is what ADMk2's tongue in cheek comment was alluding to. As has been said before, a cursory glance over this very thread should give some context.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Mmmmm actually it's about roughly 700 feet where it levels off, and notice how the 787 goes into an instant climb, where your video that you posted, has the F-35 accelerating and gaining speed at a leveled altitude for good time before performing the vertical climb. Again, the 787 does not build any speed, it just goes from ground to vertical takeoff instantly.

And I know the F-35 has come a long way and fixed a lot of issues, trust me I have 100% understanding that at this point the JSF program is too big to fail, and any issues it encounters will be fixed from an unlimited supply of funds.

Only reason I even said anything or posted the 787, was I thought it was silly as hell of someone posting a vid of a combat jet doing an extremely basic thing that every single combat jet can do since the 1950's, as a "lol where the haters at now" kinda claim.
Yep it was just a dig at the absurd commentary on the F-35 by people who have been clearly shown that they do not know, what they do not know, yet proffer an opinion to the contrary nonetheless.

The F-35 according to every single person who has ever flown it and every service that is going to buy it, has more than acceptable aerodynamic performance and maneuvering qualities for a fighter jet (despite this not being one of it’s ‘real’ strengths as a combat aircraft, it’s combat system, EW and LO capability are far more impressive...) and yet the ridiculous myth persists, that the plant that built the F-16 and F-22 for some reason suddenly no longer understands how to build a fighter jet...

hauritz

Germany may be the latest country interested in the F-35

Germany declares preference for F-35 to replace Tornado | Jane's 360

Germany's initial plan was to replace its Tornado's with an unmanned system (Future Combat Air System) and that is still probably their long term goal ... but the realisation that it may take a long time to develop this system means that they may be looking at a nearer term replacement. Something in the 2025 - 35 timeframe.

If it is looking for an aircraft type that is currently available there wouldn't seem to be too many options apart from the F-35.

Could be a big order if the German's choose to replace their entire Tornado fleet.

colay1

The Germans will also be able to leverage the experience and efforts to integrate the F-35 with legacy Typhoon fleets in the UK and Italy. The F-35 should be a shoo-in given it's increasing affordability and technological superiority.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not sure how big a deal this is relative to the F-35. I would like to think there is enough SATCOM capacity to handle ALIS files if all ocean cables were cut which I think is unlikely. I have found Defense-Aerospace to be very negatively biased towards the F-35 and often use POGO as there source for anti F-35 info.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not sure how big a deal this is relative to the F-35. I would like to think there is enough SATCOM capacity to handle ALIS files if all ocean cables were cut which I think is unlikely. I have found Defense-Aerospace to be very negatively biased towards the F-35 and often use POGO as there source for anti F-35 info.
Old Giovanni’s (editor of defence-aerospace) meal ticket is Dassault and European defence industry more broadly. The F-35 is the biggest threat to European fighters there is and so in order to keep his $$$ inbound he targets it with the most ridiculous of claims there are...

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yep, his latest mission is to trash Patriot stating the Euro solution is way cheaper and works better. Proof coming in the next site update......:rolling

t68

It appears that Japan is planning to mod its Izumho class Helicopter Destroyers to operate F35B, personally I think they would be better off building something slightly larger with cat and traps as they have AEW(E2D) being able to use them for defensive purposes. They apparently look over the new UK CV a few days after commissioning

護衛艦「いずも」空母化…離島防衛の拠点に(読売新聞) - Yahoo!ニュース

"
Published on Dec 24, 2017
KYODO NEWS - 6 hours ago - 07:06 | All The Defense Ministry is considering buying new fighter jets that may be put on its "helicopter carriers," in what could be seen as a change in Japan's defense posture that has banned the possession of offensive aircraft carriers, government sources said Sunday.The sources said the introduction of F-35Bs, which are capable of short takeoffs and vertical landings, will be useful to counter China's growing maritime assertiveness.They are expected to bolster defenses of far-flung islands in Japan's southwest, where only short runways exist, they said.The move, however, is likely to trigger a backlash from China and other neighboring countries, because they could perceive it as contradicting Japan's so-called "exclusively defense-oriented policy" under the pacifist Constitution.Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government has pushed for various changes in Japan's postwar security policy over the past years, most notably through the enactment of security legislation that largely expanded the activities of the Self-Defense Forces.Under the strictly defense-oriented policy, the government has maintained that it cannot possess "attack aircraft carriers," saying that they are among what can be deemed as offensive weapons exceeding the minimum necessary capacity for self-defense.The Maritime Self-Defense Force currently possesses flat-topped destroyers known as "helicopter carriers."Its largest Izumo-class carriers are 248 meters long and can carry up to 14 helicopters.The sources said F-35Bs can also be operated even from the existing helicopter carriers once modifications are made to the bow, deck and other areas of the ships.Such destroyers, modified or newly built, will then be used as small-scale aircraft carriers.Japan has already been purchasing F-35As for its Air Self-Defense Force as part of a plan to acquire a total of 42 of the aircraft.But the Defense Ministry is considering including some F-35Bs in its purchase, or buying some F-35Bs in addition to 42 F-35As.The F-35B is the U.S.Marines variant of the F-35 stealth plane, made by Lockheed Martin Corp.The F-35A has conventional takeoff and landing capability.A 3,000-meter runway is usually needed for the takeoff and landing for the ASDF's F-15 and other fighter jets, but Shimojijima Airport is the only airport equipped with a long runway among the islands located southwest of Okinawa's main island.Shimojijima Airport is not allowed to be used by military aircraft based on an accord reached in 1971 between the central and local governments.With the F-35Bs, the ASDF can use small airports in remote islands such as Yonaguni and step up its surveillance activities of the area, the sources said.Yonaguni is only around 100 kilometers east of Taiwan.The disputed Senkakus in the East China Sea are located about 150 km north of Yonaguni.Chinese vessels have frequently entered Japanese territorial waters around the uninhabited islets, called Diaoyu by China"

sorry cant find a Quote section

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
sorry cant find a Quote section
Until we have figured out what formatting we can and can't do may I suggest that we use standard punctuation practices

I have found that the
quote code
using the word "quote" and these brackets [ ] and this / before the second word quote at the end works just like it used to..