F-35 Program - General Discussion

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Stobie

You know you're probably doing something right if Eric Palmer start's bagging you...

Eric Palmer blog: Loyal F-35 fans

The funny thing is, he and his 'friends' often give me a kicking on his blog, yet he has blocked me from commenting there, plus has blocked me on twitter too! :kar

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is hilarious, by posting that he is directing undecided people that are reading his site for information to a much better, more balanced and rational source of information. He probably so convinced that he is right that it would never cross his mind that anyone who has read his blog would believe any different to him.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This is hilarious, by posting that he is directing undecided people that are reading his site for information to a much better, more balanced and rational source of information. He probably so convinced that he is right that it would never cross his mind that anyone who has read his blog would believe any different to him.
I doubt many "undecided" people visit his blog - he has a very narrow but loyal band of disciples!

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Aw... :)

And there I was, thinking no-one took any notice of any thing I said..
Congrats on your new found fame.

I doubt many "undecided" people visit his blog - he has a very narrow but loyal band of disciples!
You mean the basement dwellers association!?! Great bunch of guys, so loyal to their master.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much - it's the land of confirmation bias.

I keep bumping into these people as well - was having dinner with friends after helping them move house, her partner chips in with a slew of the traditional memes that have become accepted over the years, I pop them apart one at a time ("it's twice the price of any other jet"..uh, no, it's cheaper than Eurofighter..etc etc)

There's bags of reasons to find fault with the program management but when folk start dragging out simulations that never simulated any part of the aircraft in question (and had no access to the sort of data that would allow them to do so) ..well..you have to start looking askance..

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I keep bumping into these people as well - was having dinner with friends after helping them move house, her partner chips in with a slew of the traditional memes that have become accepted over the years, I pop them apart one at a time ("it's twice the price of any other jet"..uh, no, it's cheaper than Eurofighter..etc etc).
I had a guy in my local liquor store bail me up about it recently (he was sober at the time!), he said his son does intel work for the SAS (uh huh...) and he was worried about the jet, but he soon changed tack and went on to warn me about the new German aristocracy's plans to take over Europe again...:confused:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I wonder if part of the current prevalence of conspiracy theories can be traced to mainstream political and media players embracing and legitimizing some of the dodgier anti-climate change elements to further their own agendas. The attack on reasoned discussion and scientists in particular may have had lasting effects in empowering and legitimizing, truthers, denialists and conspiracy theorists.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I wonder if part of the current prevalence of conspiracy theories can be traced to mainstream political and media players embracing and legitimizing some of the dodgier anti-climate change elements to further their own agendas. The attack on reasoned discussion and scientists in particular may have had lasting effects in empowering and legitimizing, truthers, denialists and conspiracy theorists.
The prevalence of talkback radio and instant social media news means those who take the middle ground never get heard, just the extremists! Plus, if you don't agree with one particular extremist view, you're automatically painted as an extremist at the opposite end of the spectrum.

In Australia, the ABC and Fairfax are branded as a "left leaning" media organisations because they don't take the extreme conservative views of News Ltd and some of the 'shock jock' talkback DJs.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I also think it maybe due to a "dumbing down" of news and articles within the modern news media. IMHO there is little informed discussion within modern news media upon many topics, not just the F35 debate, and what little there is, especially upon defence related topics, appears to be generally uninformed and more importantly, in the context of this discussion, generally biased especially in a political context. Also I have seen many anecdotal references alluding to claims that people today appear to have shorter attention spans, compared to preceding generations, so that may imply that people are not absorbing nor understanding the information that the have been presented with, because of time constraints upon the information presentation. Mind you that presupposes that the information presented is accurate and understandable.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
The prevalence of talkback radio and instant social media news means those who take the middle ground never get heard, just the extremists! Plus, if you don't agree with one particular extremist view, you're automatically painted as an extremist at the opposite end of the spectrum.

In Australia, the ABC and Fairfax are branded as a "left leaning" media organisations because they don't take the extreme conservative views of News Ltd and some of the 'shock jock' talkback DJs.
*This*..I can't even think of getting into any political discussion with half my FB list from the US, it's too fraught. Asked some basic questions about this "Abolish the IRS/flat tax" movement the other week, was told "the UK is still far too liberal" (and we're talking "so, how *would* you collect taxes then?" sort of questions.

I suspect the gentle art of reasoned inquiry and sociable debate is waning fast.

There shouldn't be an emotional high ground over a defence program that neither party has any vested interest in, but for some reason, F35, LCS, the lot, if you're not in one camp, you're a fan boi for the other mob.

That plus the list based attack strategy, that considerably pre-dates climate change - a friend of mine launched into the 9/11 conspiracy theory routine, and again, I pretty much demolished each argument as it came, and whoosh, he's off to the next point, and it dawns on me, some of these points directly contradict each other - you can't argue that the towers were dropped by controlled demolition one second and then tack on some accusation about the towers being taken out by remote controlled aircraft in the next, then drift to the suggestion that missiles were launched from the aircraft etc etc.

I suppose the F35 arguments are more coherent in that they actually stand for something (F35 suxx0r etc)

DaveS124

Hello Stobie.

Well done - that's an awesome accolade you've picked up!

Palmer's blog is actually quite amusing if you read as if a schoolboy's attempt at satire.

So clueless, and trying so very hard to sound all grown up, that's him.

Doesn't surprise me that he bans apostates.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's bitingly funny :)

The clip is tied into caption generator so you just bang in the words you want and voila.

Might have to watch Downfall now.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It's bitingly funny :)

The clip is tied into caption generator so you just bang in the words you want and voila.

Might have to watch Downfall now.
I highly recommend it. Hard to believe even though it is indeed a true account of the final days.