F-35 Program - General Discussion

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123419547&source=GovD

if this had happened to a JSF we would be hearing speeches about the end of the world as we know it from the usual suspects.... :)
Yes, looks like they replaced the foreward escape hatch, with a plexi-glass domed hatch that the loadmaster was able to see the F-16 and instruct the AC how to maneuver to avoid a "firing solution" for the F-16.... I rather doubt this would work as well with the helmet mounted sight of the F-35.... In further news the posters on the Sino Defense forum are noting the number of flight hours between inspections have been lifted from 3 to 6 hours..... just a matter of flying off the restrictions, with-out excessive rubbing.... I justed hated the Bs missing Farnbourough, I was really looking forward to a little more exposure of the Bs many talents.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry, couldn't open your link. Could you please check and if possible re-post? Thx
Strategy Page is down right now. You can try again for the more detailed story, although the centerpiece of the story was this incident (there was some more discussion of the program and what was ailing it as I remember.

Strategy Page is down right now. You can try again for the more detailed story, although the centerpiece of the story was this incident (there was some more discussion of the program and what was ailing it as I remember.
Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen a picture of the damage, and it is fairly extensive, looks like it could use a new center fuselage section, hopefully the forward fuse can be saved, as well as the wings. Folks are always going to criticize the F-35, in the exact same way they savaged the F-22. Turbines that make that kind of thrust are very hot, and the tolerances are very tight, whether the F119, F135, or the F117s. Thankfully in both instances the aircraft F-35 and T-50 were on the ground, and both pilots were uninjured. What we have learned about the F-35 fire has been very instructive, and they have a very simple and workable solution....

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123419547&source=GovD

if this had happened to a JSF we would be hearing speeches about the end of the world as we know it from the usual suspects.... :)
Good afternoon Gentlemen, AU-1 flew from the factory at approx. 14:45 9/29/14,,, my computer doesn't update me on DT posts for some reason, and I expected that you gents would be on top of this, in any regard, this is great news, and very exciting to me, looking forward to you guys getting a few of you birds up and running.... hoping to hear more soon about the F-35Cs carrier trial, I believe they have been rolled back to November.

Here's a link about it, some good photos too.

First flight for first RAAF F-35 | Australian Aviation
Very outstanding photos, all gear down,,,Rob, do you have any idea, when, during the production test flights they first raise the gear. I know that initial test flying is usually gear down, but I am not aware of when during the test protocol they go gear up???? Lots of pictures of the Chinese J-31 are still gear down, although I have seen a few gear up photos of that bird???

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Very outstanding photos, all gear down,,,Rob, do you have any idea, when, during the production test flights they first raise the gear. I know that initial test flying is usually gear down, but I am not aware of when during the test protocol they go gear up???? Lots of pictures of the Chinese J-31 are still gear down, although I have seen a few gear up photos of that bird???

Here's you answer, gear up and down (I just put this link up in the RAAF thread too):

Department of Defence Video Gallery

Here's you answer, gear up and down (I just put this link up in the RAAF thread too):

Department of Defence Video Gallery
Thanks John, that is an outstanding video, and I hope it makes my Aus brothers as proud as it does me, I want to thank you gentlemen and Australians in general for there faithfulness, as partners in the JSF, but more importantly for standing together with us in this brave new world. I sleep much better at night knowing that you are standing with us, thanks once again for your being there, hope you enjoy your new birds, and I can't wait until you get to "take some home" that will be a moment that we will all look forward to.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Thanks John, that is an outstanding video, and I hope it makes my Aus brothers as proud as it does me, I want to thank you gentlemen and Australians in general for there faithfulness, as partners in the JSF, but more importantly for standing together with us in this brave new world. I sleep much better at night knowing that you are standing with us, thanks once again for your being there, hope you enjoy your new birds, and I can't wait until you get to "take some home" that will be a moment that we will all look forward to.
Brat,

Yes it is a nice video (I like the bit at the end with the Aussie flag too!) and thanks for the kind words, personally I am proud to see the first (of many!) to take to the air and I'm sure that those who have 'actually' been involved in the F-35 program here in Oz are extremely proud too! And I'm certainly looking forward to the day when the first squadron arrives in Oz too!

I think by the mid 2020's the RAAF is going to have a very impressive array of capabilities and equipment (certainly relative to it's size), and will be able to hold its own for many many years to come.

Brat,

Yes it is a nice video (I like the bit at the end with the Aussie flag too!) and thanks for the kind words, personally I am proud to see the first (of many!) to take to the air and I'm sure that those who have 'actually' been involved in the F-35 program here in Oz are extremely proud too! And I'm certainly looking forward to the day when the first squadron arrives in Oz too!

I think by the mid 2020's the RAAF is going to have a very impressive array of capabilities and equipment (certainly relative to it's size), and will be able to hold its own for many many years to come.
No doubt they will be impressive, and I had read a blurb on AFMs Daily Report??? that the first US General officer had transitioned into the F-35,,,, seems he is stationed at Nellis, and is an F-15 pilot,,,,, but he was very impressed by the F-35 and its many capabilities..... Some have called me naïve, but I would love to see Aus get a squadron of Bs to operate off the Canberra. Anyway, as our resources become more scarce, the importance of this Aircraft and its capabilities will become more and more evident, looking forward as we stand together for freedom, and thanks for the kind words.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Given there is approximately 71 airframes in various stages of production, I would imagine that aircraft flying in primer is a relatively frequent occurrence...

Nice pics though.

:D

Last edited:

airwingspotter

Yes indeed! this one is her Maiden flight ....I stil prefer catching the F16 doing maiden flight since they usually pop their drag chute when they 1st land on their maiden flight.

DAveC

Last edited:

airwingspotter

Caught an F-35A from Luke AFB markings yesterday 10/8/2014 taking to the sky in NAS Ft worth. Lockheed martin Plant accomponied by the F-16D chaser from LMT.

She did a 40 minute test flight and did a touch and go before landing on runway 17.

Caught an F-35A from Luke AFB markings yesterday 10/8/2014 taking to the sky in NAS Ft worth. Lockheed martin Plant accomponied by the F-16D chaser from LMT.

She did a 40 minute test flight and did a touch and go before landing on runway 17.
Very nice pictures, thanks for the update,, and thank you very much for posting some very sweet pictures,,, those tanks on the F-16 are awesome??? I'm hoping they're aux tanks, but if their not I guess everyone can have a laugh on me,,, those things are huge.

Tksfor the kind words.. I'll try to post more ..
those are std f16 drop tanks.. they carry those quite often on chase mission

Davec
Would those be the 600 gallon tanks, or 370 gallon tanks, I'm guessing the larger, which brings us to the why,,,, much of the maneuvering, gear up, gear down during test flying is done at upper low to medium altitude, and likely at lower airspeeds requiring chase to get "draggy" deploying flaps likely even gear, in order to remain in "contact" with the target.. Aircraft are likely flown in to a target airspeed incrementally, it would be instructive if someone that "knew" would include the "test protocol", for instance most airliners are no longer "stalled" but flown in the "stick shaker" and recovered as if they had stalled,,,,, throttle to full, flaps to "takeoff", gear selector "up", etc....Point being that deploying flaps, slats, and landing gear, require higher thrust levels to maintain airspeed and altitude, and hence a much higher than normal fuel burn....

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Would those be the 600 gallon tanks, or 370 gallon tanks, I'm guessing the larger, which brings us to the why,,,, much of the maneuvering, gear up, gear down during test flying is done at upper low to medium altitude, and likely at lower airspeeds requiring chase to get "draggy" deploying flaps likely even gear, in order to remain in "contact" with the target.. Aircraft are likely flown in to a target airspeed incrementally, it would be instructive if someone that "knew" would include the "test protocol", for instance most airliners are no longer "stalled" but flown in the "stick shaker" and recovered as if they had stalled,,,,, throttle to full, flaps to "takeoff", gear selector "up", etc....Point being that deploying flaps, slats, and landing gear, require higher thrust levels to maintain airspeed and altitude, and hence a much higher than normal fuel burn....
Offers an interesting insight into the range differences on internal fuel between the platforms...