Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflict in Yemen

Discussion in 'Geostrategic Issues' started by Muukalainen, Apr 6, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Feanor

Feanor Super Moderator Staff Member

Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
    It would be interesting to see an investigation of the recent incident with the Apache helo shooting up a boat of civilians. Somehow I suspect they were after Iranians smuggling weapons but ran into civilians instead.

2. H.Smart

H.Smart New Member

Yemen is an unfortunate situation of international apathy. The US has the interest to sell arms to Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia needs support and silence in dropping those bombs on Yemen. The prime reason that Saudi drops bombs on civilians and Houthi rebels are that HouthiÂ’s are from opposite sect of Islam (Shia). Shia sect of Islam is the most peaceful people in the world. They do not believe in terror bomb attacks and killing innocent people. On the other hand, it is Saudi Wahabi school of thought who are the major source of terrorism in the world. It is in the interest of the US and Saudi to keep wars alive. For Saudi wars are good opportunity to advance its extremist ideology in the shape of exploiting hunger and turmoil and for the US wars are a good source of income by selling arms to rich countries. The other benefit for the US is that it suppresses the governments who dear to speak up against the US.

Yemen conflict is an indictment of international law and the Security Council. There have been all kinds of violation, from State sovereignty to abuses of human rights and crime against humanity such as bombing schools, weddings, hospitals. Although International community is at the forefront in condemning of Syria, however, more serious and gravest crimes are ignored because of self-interests

3. Muukalainen

Muukalainen New Member

It's been a long time since I have posted here, but I thought I would try and do a quick update.
    - Ali Abdullah Saleh is dead, killed by the Houthi's. Yemen: Ex-President Ali Abdullah Saleh killed
    - The war is 1006 days old with no end in sight. Yemen: The forgotten war
    - A link to LiveUA map, which I know is not perfect, but it provides a simple geographic understanding of the conflict. Interactive map of Yemen - Yemen news live map- yemen.liveuamap.com
    - Around 78%, 21 million of the 27 million, of the Yemeni population is at risk of famine. The Saudi blockade continues, though a small number of planes are being allowed to land in Sanaa. ICRC on Twitter (I know twitter, but the Red Cross), UNICEF Yemen Humanitarian Situation Report (November 2017)
    - "As of October 10, at least 4,125 civilians had been killed and 7,207 wounded since the start of the campaign" Yemen

StingrayOZ, Cadredave and ngatimozart like this.
  4. Feanor

Some interesting shots of Sudanese ground forces in Yemen. Their numbers can't be very under the circumstances, but their very employment highlights the increasing desperation of the Saudi coalition to, if not break the stalemate, at least reduce their own casualties.

Суданцы в Йемене

5. John Fedup

John Fedup Active Member

While a total house cleaning of Yemen may be necessary, the Saudis will likely stuff it up. Hopefully Trump’s restrainers will keep the US out of this mess or as Trump describes, $hitholes. In this case the label fits.

6. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Where is your evidence for this?

7. Feanor

I mean, the Saudis are already in Yemen. So....

8. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

I was making a point with my Moderator hat on.

9. STURM

STURM Active Member

Remains to be seen if the killing of the ousted ousted Ali Abdullah Saleh will have any major repercussions for the Houthis. Will also be interesting to see if the Saudis attempt to reach some kind of accommodation with the Houthis in an attempt not only to sideline the Iranians but to get out of the quagmire they're in.

[What Is Next For Yemen After The Death Of Ali Abdullah Saleh?]

[Is There A Solution To War In Yemen In 2018?