Conflict in Yemen

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Something I'm curious about. When one buys a complete coastal surface missile system, does the package also normally include a ESM? Without an ESM what other possible ways would the crew have to positively ID their target?
Who said anything about "buying"? Also, the cheapiest and easiest way of doing BDA/spotting is a dude on a small boat nearby with a UHF BTB radio providing spotter services.

Sounds plausible but why were there follow on attacks? Logically, once the Houthis discovered that the target of the first attack was a USN ship, they would have refrained from further attacks to avoid the Americans retaliating or worse, stepping up the level of support provided to Saudi Arabia.
Unless they (or their Iranian supporters) don't expect meaningful US action, or already view the US as involved anyway, or just don't care. Lots of options available.

Waseb Al-Qisuin

Houthi tankers in Yemen. Though I'm not sure that this is combat footage. Still, good to keep in mind that while they often look rag-tag, the Houthis actually have most of Yemen's former army among them.

ХуÑитÑкие танкиÑÑ‚Ñ‹ - Берлога Бронемедведа
I had doubts that these were houthis so I have used Google translate for the original YouTube title that is arabic and it seems that the Video was mislabeled by Panzerbar, the footage is from Daraa Region Syria, fighting between "Southern Brigades"(FSA/Jihadists) and "Khaled Army" (Khalid ibn al-Walid Army an ISIS ally)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had doubts that these were houthis so I have used Google translate for the original YouTube title that is arabic and it seems that the Video was mislabeled by Panzerbar, the footage is from Daraa Region Syria, fighting between "Southern Brigades"(FSA/Jihadists) and "Khaled Army" (Khalid ibn al-Walid Army an ISIS ally)
Thank you for the correction. I relied on the title of the post.

STURM

UAE Patriots in Yemen would indicate that the UAE is seriously looking at the possibility that Iran might get directly involved; in direct support of the Houthis or by striking UAE and Saudi targets in Yemen in retaliation for things getting worst with the U.S.

STURM

The Saudis and the UAE most definitely never saw themselves getting caught in the situation they're in now. They probably figured that military intervention would result in the Houthis collapsing and a friendly government placed backed in power in Sanaa; mission accomplished. They should have paid closer attention to how Nasser got stuck in Yemen in the 1960's and failed to achieve anything; a conflict in which Saudi - along with unofficial help from Britain and France - played a major role by supporting the Royalists. Looking at how long they've been involved in the Lebanon and Afghanistan; it's also plainly obvious that the Iranians can be very persistent when their national interests are at stake.

The rulers in Riyadh and Abu Dhabi are probably going to sleep every night praying that Trump has a go at Iran. Either that or some face saving plan has to be reached with the mullahs in Tehran but that's highly unlikely given the deep rooted animosity between the Gulf Arabs and the Iranians. Plus, the fact that openly acknowledging failure in Yemen will be a disaster for the Gulf Arabs.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
More likely Trump is hoping they all have a go at each other. I don't think my view that this would be a gene pool improvement is in the minority.

Toblerone

Banned Member
USA needs the vast investments of the rich Gulf states. Their monumental military inadequacy and their oil economy with an expiration date make their long term future seem grim though. Not everyone will have a private jet and a London house to run to.

Also, is this war in a stalemate or what? Yemen was already poor to begin with ...

STURM

More likely Trump is hoping they all have a go at each other. I don't think my view that this would be a gene pool improvement is in the minority.
A war between Iran and the Gulf states will be bad for anyone, including the U.S. Given that that the U.S. guarantees the security of Saudi,Kuwait, Qatar and the U.A.E. against external attacks [from the Iranians]; the U.S. will be dragged into the conflict. Similarly the U.S. will also be dragged into a conflict on Israel's side irrespective of whether it's Israel or another country that started it.

Their monumental military inadequacy
Maybe but what serious external state actor threats do they face? The Iranians even if they wanted to; don't have the capability to pose a threat to the Gulf states to the extent that there'll be Iranian troops holding victory parades in Riyadh or Doha.

Also, is this war in a stalemate or what? Yemen was already poor to begin with ...
Hence the ''region's richest country attacking the region's poorest'' thing we often hear about.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An Iran without the Ayatollahs could be the West's new best friend. You can bet it would scare the $hit out of the Saudis and Gulf states.

Ranger25

Staff member
An Iran without the Ayatollahs could be the West's new best friend. You can bet it would scare the $hit out of the Saudis and Gulf states.
Agreed, they've had some small tastes of western freedoms and IMO that scares the daylights out of the Ayatollahs

STURM

You can bet it would scare the $hit out of the Saudis and Gulf states.
Yes but the problem is that the West keeps chumming up to the Gulf states to the extent that the Gulf states believe they can - eventually - get away with anything as they're vital to the West. Whenever there's any criticism of the Gulf states over issues like human rights; the Gulf states get a slap on the wrist - if at all - and business resumes as normal. Matis saying that Iran is the ''biggest sponsor of terrorism'' is exactly what the Gulf states and the hardliners in Iran want to hear; in the overall scheme of things it's not helpful and doesn't achieve anything; especially when Iranian help has been crucial in holding back IS in Iraq and Syria. Matis would be better off questioning the flow of funds from the Gulf states to IS and how military intervention in Yemen has provided Qaeda and IS with more volunteers.