China - Geostrategic & Geopolitical.

Sandhi Yudha

So Australia has demanded an apology for sharing the fake image of an Australian soldier killing an Afghan child.

But according to china:
"The accusations made are simply to serve two purposes.
- One is to deflect public attention from the horrible atrocities by certain Australian soldiers.
- The other is to blame China for the worsening of bilateral ties.

Edit: maybe i had to post this in this thread:

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right from the horses mouth. about 3 months ago the PRC Ambassador to NZ was asked for comment about the SCS. The link carries her response which hasn't strayed from the CCP line. It's full of lies and half truths as is the wont of the CCP.

Then recently she had a spray about FVEYS commenting upon the situation in Hong Kong. Again lies and half truths.

What makes me laugh is that they claim to be following to the letter the rule of international law in both cases. Just about fell off my chair laughing. The Soviets used to be fairly economical with the truth, but they were far more inventive and knew what they could get away with and couldn't. This lot are another story completely and its the sheer arrogance that goes with it.

Nighthawk.NZ

So Australia has demanded an apology for sharing the fake image of an Australian soldier killing an Afghan child.

But according to china:
"The accusations made are simply to serve two purposes.
- One is to deflect public attention from the horrible atrocities by certain Australian soldiers.
- The other is to blame China for the worsening of bilateral ties.
Jacinda Ardern chooses words carefully as New Zealand wades into almighty scrap between Australia and China
Jacinda Ardern chooses words carefully as New Zealand wades into almighty scrap between Australia and China

I don't normally get in these type of posts, but the pic is obviously fake (and personally as a graphic artist a pretty poor fake at that, Lighting is wrong on soldiers boots, shadow is wrong, You can see most of the cut/crop tell tail signs, boys face looks fake, and fake veil etc blah blah... it just looks fake sooo...), and as a troll it was poor form from a political standpoint.

NZ is treading carefully how we respond as normal as we normally do, but in this case poor form from China and are supporting Aussie on this one. Can you imagine the response from the CCP if it was one our pollys that posted something similar with a PRC-PLA Soldier...

Nighthawk.NZ

What makes me laugh is that they claim to be following to the letter the rule of international law in both cases. Just about fell off my chair laughing. The Soviets used to be fairly economical with the truth, but they were far more inventive and knew what they could get away with and couldn't. This lot are another story completely and its the sheer arrogance that goes with it.
Even though the UN doesn't recognise the CCP's claim of the 9 dash line or their claim of the various man made islands etc... but they are getting away with it because the world and the UN has done nothing to stop them... as they are breaking international law (errrm not sure how to say that without probably breaking some site rule... opps here I go again ... lol )

Like you I have just been shaking my head saying oh ffs here we go again...

Sandhi Yudha

Yes, also in this newsarticle Australië krijgt bijval van Nieuw-Zeeland in conflict met China over nepfoto
they are telling that although New Zeeland supports Australia, their statement is milder/softer because china is NZ's most important bussinesspartner.
And thats the problem with china as economical superpower, it does not accept critic or negative views and opinions, and it will use its position to threat and blackmail other countries. Also other superpowers have this habit, but china is a little bit more agressive compared to others.

Stampede

Right from the horses mouth. about 3 months ago the PRC Ambassador to NZ was asked for comment about the SCS. The link carries her response which hasn't strayed from the CCP line. It's full of lies and half truths as is the wont of the CCP.

Then recently she had a spray about FVEYS commenting upon the situation in Hong Kong. Again lies and half truths.

China

"is committed to making the South China Sea a sea of peace, cooperation and friendship. "

I must of had it all wrong; I actually thought they were being somewhat confrontational building those little islands in the SCS.

Actually , islands of peace, cooperation and friendship.

Well there you go.

Yet still puzzled as to why such a friendly country in China is so cross with us Aussies.

Did we do something wrong? I really thought we were besties.

What can we do now to make them happy.

We just want peace, cooperation and friendship............................................................plus the rule of law.

Regards S

Beholder

China's goodwill futile with evil Australia: Global Times editorial

Bla, bla, bla...
Chinese society has become relaxed about China-Australia ties. The Chinese people endorse a philosophy that does not intensify conflicts and cherishes peace. But Australia has been excluded from this philosophy by the Chinese people. Australia treats China's goodwill with evil. It is not worthy to argue with it. If it does not want to do business with China, so be it. Its politics, military and culture should stay far away from China - let's assume the two countries are not on the same planet.

As a warhound of the US,
Australia should restrain its arrogance. Particularly, its warships must not come to China's coastal areas to flex muscles, or else it will swallow the bitter pills.

A lot of discussion on internet about this editorial. Is CCP testing waters of international reaction, or it is for internal consumption?
Interesting that they connect it to US. Basically aside from regular economic pressure threat, there is actual "flex of muscles" part.

Sandhi Yudha

More and more its become less a "one country two systems" situation. A parlement with only puppets of the chinese communist party, censorship, new laws, opposition and activists in jail and now this...

Musashi_kenshin

A lot of discussion on internet about this editorial. Is CCP testing waters of international reaction, or it is for internal consumption?
The Global Times is a shit-rag. It wasn't great to start off with, but under its current "editor" it's been transformed into something that makes the People's Daily look refined.

I don't think it's testing the waters of anything. I'm sure it's just writing for the benefit of its usual pro-CCP readers.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Global Times is a shit-rag. It wasn't great to start off with, but under its current "editor" it's been transformed into something that makes the People's Daily look refined.

I don't think it's testing the waters of anything. I'm sure it's just writing for the benefit of its usual pro-CCP readers.
Like the Peoples Daily, the Global Times is just another CCP mouthpiece. Anything it says has prior Party approval.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I put this in this thread, eventough it's not related to security, however it's related to Economics of China and thus it's Geopolitical prospect.
I found if this kind of news being talk in other forums, then you will have hordes of ten cents army talking on Western based propaganda and smeer campaign to China.

Interesting bunch of those ten cents army, but as Patriots they are, they simply doesn't understand that if Chinese SOE companies begin defaulting it's different thing compared to defaulting loan that happen so many times in China commercial private companies.

PRC since the end of 90's already use their SOE as productivity movers to jack up the economy. Those SOE then use Chinese Private sectors as their sub contractors to give boost on growing private sector growth. This still being done up until now as some kind of trickle down strategy for jack up productivity and consumption.

Problem with SOE financial stability if not handle carefully will potentially put doubt on Chinese capabilities to maintain continues Economics circulation. This because everyone knows this's how China keep pumping money to their economy to keep it running at the pace their administration plan.

The global financial industries actually already knows the ballooning problem of problem loan in China for sometime. However it's mostly with their Private Companies. As most of Private Companies is not the prime movers of Chinese Economy eco system, then it can be absorb by most Chinese big SOE Banks.

Thus the problem loan with SOE will be different story. However on the other hand, China should take this opportunity to let market selections on their SOE survivalist. China should not let all their SOE survive, and Xi Jinping administration must let the market force to adjust themselves including their SOE.

China has thinking that they are already big enough to control and manipulate market force. Well no countries that can control all market mechanism. It's up to China if they want to continue throw salt in the ocean. This's what happened if they continue pumping money to their SOE indiscriminately without selections.

At this moment, unlike many Western online forums and some analysts taking, China still capable to absorb the problem loans within their economy. However unlike many Ten Cents in online media, or their 'official' analyst in their local media thinking, it's capabilities that has limit.

This can put some brake on Xi Jinping ambitious Belt and Road initiative. However he has to know also that he's moving to fast, push Chinese economics machineries through the limit.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

This can put some brake on Xi Jinping ambitious Belt and Road initiative. However he has to know also that he's moving to fast, push Chinese economics machineries through the limit.
I think that it already has put a brake on the Belt and Road program with the PRC only budgeting US$4 billion for the Belt and Road for the next year. I read that earlier in the week but can't remember where and didn't pay much attention to it. It didn't really click until I read your post.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
PLA Doctrine — Part 1

1. China has a strong focus on modernising the PLA’s conventional war fighting capabilities and while reducing headcount (to spend more on new weapons).
(a) Part of the motivation for modernisation comes the PLA’s observation of US military performance at Operation Desert Storm (Iraq) in 1991; US involvement in the 1995–1996 Taiwan Strait Crisis; and US military intervention in Kosovo in 1999 (during which the US accidentally bombed the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade). This motivated Chinese leaders to invest considerable resources in the transformation of the PLA.​
(b) There method in Chinese decision making to focus on conventional strike — due to their geo-political objectives of managing the near abroad, be it with Japan, Korea, Taiwan (in their view, a renegade Province) or India; and also protecting their SLOCs. The PLA(N) is resourced for breaking out of the island-chain construct. Even their missiles can be employed for that purpose. They have many, many more missiles than nuclear warheads — which will be used to attack enemy airbases, aircraft carriers, command ships, amphibious ships and even major surface combatants like cruisers.​

2. China has deliberately not over built its nuclear capabilities. Most people don’t know that Beijing is restrained on building a nuke stockpile. Curiously, Beijing doesn’t talk much and it is to their credit. In contrast, Russia’s 6,800 nuclear warhead arsenal dwarfs China’s 350 warheads (~270 operational) for delivery by:
  • 240 land-based missiles
  • 20 gravity bombs
  • 48 SLBMs
3. In its annual “China Military Power” report to Congress, the Pentagon said the modernization and expansion of China’s nuclear forces is part of a broader effort by Beijing to develop a more assertive position on the world stage and to match or surpass America’s 3,800 warheads by 2049 as the dominant power in the Asia-Pacific region.

4. “China’s nuclear forces will significantly evolve over the next decade as it modernizes, diversifies, and increases the number of its land-, sea-, and air-based nuclear delivery platforms,” the report said. “Over the next decade, China’s nuclear warhead stockpile — previously estimated to be in the low 200s — is projected to at least double in size as China expands and modernizes its nuclear forces.”

5. Currently, China keeps its nuclear warheads stored separately from its missiles and launchers and thus would need advance warning to get them ready for war. The Pentagon report said unspecified evidence emerged in 2019 indicating that China wants to keep at least a portion of its force on a higher state of alert known as “launch on warning,” meaning for example that its silo-based ICBMs would be armed in peacetime and ready for launch on short notice, which is the way the U.S. ICBM force operates.

6. China’s national defense and military reform under Xi Jinping consists of three elements:

(i) adjustment and reform concerning the composition of the military structure;​

(ii) adjustment and reform concerning the military policy system; and​

(iii) deepening of the integration between the military and civilian sectors.​

(a) Element 6(i) consists of the rationalization of the CMC and the four general departments structure (General Staff Department, General Political Department, General Logistics Department, and General Armaments Department), strengthening the joint operation structure, adjusting the relative troop strength among the Ground Force, Navy, Air Force, and the Second Artillery Corps, and reducing the non-combat organizations and members of the PLA.​

(b) Element 6(ii) refers to progress in the professionalization of the officer corps, improving the draft, officers, and veterans’ reemployment systems, and eliminating waste within the military.​

(c) Element 6(iii) focuses on promoting military- civilian sector cooperation in equipment development, reforming national defense education, and adjusting and rationalizing the sea and air border patrol management structure.​

(d) The media, both domestic and international, focused their attention on “adjustment and reform concerning the composition of the military structure,” particularly regarding what China would do by way of the organizational reform with the aim of strengthening the joint operation structure.​

(e) China’s PLA reforms, announced in waves between the autumn of 2015, Feb 2016 and Nov 2020, created changes that exceeded the expectations of many observers, beginning with the abolition of the four general departments structure and the 7 military regions system (in favor of five theater commands) — as part of the 300,000 troop cuts part of efforts to streamline military into modern fighting force.​

(f) The Nov 2020 new joint operations outline also codifies the shift from campaigns (战役) to operations (作战) as the unit of analysis for China's operational doctrine, indicating a more nimble and refined approach to the use of force.​

(g) The promulgation of a high-level doctrinal document suggests that the PLA is consolidating the changes to improve joint operations that were part of the unprecedented reforms that began in late 2015. In fact, it likely signals confidence that the reforms have been successful.​

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This already days old news. Just have times to put it. The way I see it China also benefits from US CAATSA to Russia. Russia usually become 2nd largest exporter, however some Nation's that usually large Russian Arms exporters, now treads more carefully.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
PLA Doctrine — Part 2

7. According to Taiwan News, China launched its “Guam killer missile, the DF-26B, from Qinghai Province, on 26 Aug 2019. This missile was dubbed the “Guam killer” because it was the first Chinese-made missile capable of striking U.S. military facilities in Guam, where Andersen Air Force Base and Naval Base Guam are located. Aside from the DF-26B, China also fired into the South China Sea what it calls its “aircraft carrier killer missile” — the DF-21D — a variant of the DF-21, which is an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM) that China claims is capable of striking an aircraft carrier.

8. For PLA watchers—the Central Military Commission has issued a new operational doctrine an "Outline of Joint Operations for the Chinese People's Liberation Army (Trial)" went into effect in Nov 2020. This marks only the fifth time that the PLA has changed its operational doctrine since 1949.

(a) Given the above advancements, DoD is building a backup air base at Tinian Island, located just 100 miles to the north of Guam’s Andersen Air Force Base. This comes as the Pentagon is working to expand its existing airfields located deep in the Pacific and even create new ones that it could use during a major peer-state clash, namely with China, in the 1st and 2nd island chains. Given the distance and early warning to be provided by SBIRS GEO-5 and GEO-6 that are slated to join the U.S. Space Force’s missile warning satellites, I believe that Guam and Tinian, can survive multiple waves of DF-26B missile attacks (not all of which need to be intercepted).​

(b) Besides Guam and Tinian, the Pentagon has a base in Wake Island, which is located 1,500 miles east of Guam (read about the upgrades to that remote island outpost in this recent feature). With the ongoing 'pivot towards the Pacific' and with adversary A2/AD capabilities creeping farther east, Wake Island is more important than it has been in decades, possibly since World War II. Beyond its clear logistical utility, acting as a major hub where there isn't another for thousands of miles, it sits outside the range of China's and North Korea's medium-range ballistic missiles, and largely at the end, if not entirely out of range, of their intermediate-range ballistic missiles (IRBMs). The base on Wake Island will be more about staging airpower as a conflict heats up, not just with dealing with dislocated airpower in the opening stages of an attack. This is where new developments at Tinian Island will come into play.​

(c) This is all part of an emerging distributed combat operations strategy that will likely be as much about survival as about getting an advantage on the enemy, at least during the opening stages of a potential conflict in the Pacific Theater. Anderson Air Force Base is so key to U.S. strategy that the possibility that a natural disaster could knock out flight operations in the entire region is also a driving factor behind this initiative to build on Tinian.​

9. To lend teeth to Pacific bases, the Marine Littoral Regiment (MLR) concept was born (See: Force Design 2030) which called for reorganizing the US Marine Corps to be lighter in preparation for battling in hotly contested maritime spaces. After nearly two decades of ground warfare, the US Marine Corps has already disbanded several of its tank battalions as part of the redesign. Force Design 2030 calls for three MLRs.
(a) The other two MLRs will be based in Japan and Guam. Current plans expect US Marines to begin arriving in Guam by 2024, with 2,500 there by 2026 and the full 5,000-Marine force to be in place by 2028. Aside from experimenting with the way MLRs should be organized, the regiment in Hawaii will also test new equipment.​

(b) They want US Marines in the MLR to identify problems and gaps with the construct. US Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Tracy King, the US Navy’s director of expeditionary warfare on the chief of naval operations’ staff, had discussed US Marine EABs conducting anti-sub operations, much as they plan to conduct anti-ship operations in support of sea control and sea denial for the US Navy. He said over the summer that American SSN submarines give away their position when they shoot torpedoes. If the US Marines who have landed on islands within the 1st and 2nd island chains, under the expeditionary advanced base operations concept, could go after those targets instead, US SSNs could go on lurking undetected.​
(c) “We’re going to have US Marines out there sinking ships. I’ve even talked to our undersea guys about US Marines out there sinking submarines, so some of our inside forces can stay hidden. Let our adversary worry about me and my hundred guys running around crazy on some island instead of these capital assets that are really the heart and soul of the joint force,” he said, referring to American attack submarines.​

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think that it already has put a brake on the Belt and Road program with the PRC only budgeting US$4 billion for the Belt and Road for the next year. I read that earlier in the week but can't remember where and didn't pay much attention to it. It didn't really click until I read your post.
As a further to this, the following article discusses the PRC's budgeting problems and it's defaulting upon promises.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As of 1/1/2021 the CCP has moved the authority to mobilise military and civilian resources in defence of the national interest, both at home and abroad from the State Council to the Central Military Commission, which is chaired by Helmsman Xi Jinping. "Disruption" and protection of “development interests” have been added to the National Defence Law which is the legislation under which this change has been enacted.

Boatteacher

As of 1/1/2021 the CCP has moved the authority to mobilise military and civilian resources in defence of the national interest, both at home and abroad from the State Council to the Central Military Commission, which is chaired by Helmsman Xi Jinping. "Disruption" and protection of “development interests” have been added to the National Defence Law which is the legislation under which this change has been enacted.

Disruption and protection of development interests sounds frighteningly like invading a country to protect an investment there.