British Army News and Discussion

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have read bits and pieces about upcoming changes to the British army. Reduction of Challenger regiments to three (I think) and now Future Soldier, where more battalions will be disbanded. Has there been significant pushback in the UK in the light of Russia's invasion of Ukraine? I seem to hear Boris Johnson promising security help to Eastern European countries but that must be tenuous if the army loses more capability? If this is covered in a different thread, please direct me appropriately.
How about some links then. You've been on here long enough to know the rules.

Larso66

Which features the following statement - "The size of the Army will be at its smallest since 1714 - with just 72,500 regular soldiers.
The number of tanks will be cut from 227 to 148 upgraded ones. The RAF will lose 24 of its older Typhoon jets and its fleet of Hercules transport aircraft. And the Royal Navy will be retiring two of its older frigates early before new ones come into service.
All this while the government says the threats are rising."

This article was published in March 2021. I'm particularly interested in whether the Ukraine invasion has given the UK govt pause on any of this?

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Which features the following statement - "The size of the Army will be at its smallest since 1714 - with just 72,500 regular soldiers.
The number of tanks will be cut from 227 to 148 upgraded ones. The RAF will lose 24 of its older Typhoon jets and its fleet of Hercules transport aircraft. And the Royal Navy will be retiring two of its older frigates early before new ones come into service.
All this while the government says the threats are rising."

This article was published in March. I'm particularly interested in whether the Ukraine invasion has given the UK govt pause on any of this?
Good that's better thank you. The Pommy government on its holy mission to persevere the great and glorious British Empire; uhmm large sphere of influence; maybe main power in Europe; nope, hmm Britannic Island fortress that is the UK. Oh dear the Scots are talking about another secession referendum. It's a typical inbred pommy trait that if there's a hard, most difficult way of doing something they will find it and make it SOP. But they really seem to go out of their way to be extra difficult when it comes to defence.

Hone C

I'm particularly interested in whether the Ukraine invasion has given the UK govt pause on any of this?
The short answer is not really. The Conservatives made a manifesto pledge to annually increase defence spending 0.5% above inflation. The current inflation has probably killed that, despite pushback from the top brass and Defence Minister.

A lot of the recent British Army restructuring has been with a view to greater emphasis on foreign partner force training and defence engagement. So far it looks as though Britain is going to use economic and financial measures, and provision of intelligence and training to deal with conflict abroad. This has historically been a common policy for England/Britain to use in relation to continental European conflicts, albeit with a much greater naval force than the UK has at present.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just noticed today on MSN news that the UK army is taking 60 Challenger2 tanks out of storage
It appears that the current situation in Ukraine has lead to this. I would think that the constant cutting of combat vehicals that has happened over recent years has finally caught up with the pollies and a bit of common cense may prevail, "MAYBE?"

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Just noticed today on MSN news that the UK army is taking 60 Challenger tanks out of storage
Real question is will they have the tankies to crew them? That Army has sustained what some would call significant personnel cuts in recent years and tankies aren't people who you can recruit qualified from civvy street.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Real question is will they have the tankies to crew them? That Army has sustained what some would call significant personnel cuts in recent years and tankies aren't people who you can recruit qualified from civvy street.
Maybe they will use a shortened Russian training method to overcome this problem:p

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe they will use a shortened Russian training method to overcome this problem:p
Don't think they even have the time for that at moment. They're to busy changing Prime Ministers. They should ask the Australians for advice in that matter because the Aussies have plenty of experience in that area :p

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Don't think they even have the time for that at moment. They're to busy changing Prime Ministers. They should ask the Australians for advice in that matter because the Aussies have plenty of experience in that area :p
Ok, how about London bus drivers to drive the thing and the old ticket collectors to load the gun leaves only the gnner and commander to train:cool:

FormerDirtDart

Just noticed today on MSN news that the UK army is taking 60 Challenger2 tanks out of storage
It appears that the current situation in Ukraine has lead to this. I would think that the constant cutting of combat vehicals that has happened over recent years has finally caught up with the pollies and a bit of common cense may prevail, "MAYBE?"
Seems by the article they are simply exercising their prepositioned stocks in Germany.
Good thing to keep the vehicles serviceable. And it's probably a crapload easier to just transport the troops to the exercise while not having to rai and/or boat the vehicles to Germany & east.

Larso66

The rumours of 10 Challenger 2s for Ukraine, seem to have been confirmed as a squadron of 14. The source below suggests that a number of the 227 built are not fit for duty, which is no surprise. I think there are 3 regiments still properly equipped with them and FormerDirtDart posted above about 60 being taken out of storage to pre-position in Europe - which I assume to be in addition to those? So, as much as I'd like to see more go to Ukraine, it doesn't seem like there are many others available. Is anybody able to give any clarity on this? Is it perhaps a case of 14 now and more later to enable ongoing announcements of help to Ukraine?

swerve

Super Moderator
The rumours of 10 Challenger 2s for Ukraine, seem to have been confirmed as a squadron of 14. The source below suggests that a number of the 227 built are not fit for duty, which is no surprise. I think there are 3 regiments still properly equipped with them and FormerDirtDart posted above about 60 being taken out of storage to pre-position in Europe - which I assume to be in addition to those? So, as much as I'd like to see more go to Ukraine, it doesn't seem like there are many others available. Is anybody able to give any clarity on this? Is it perhaps a case of 14 now and more later to enable ongoing announcements of help to Ukraine?
Not 227 built: the British army received 386. 227 is the number still in service. Some of the others were converted to other uses, but I don't know what has happened to over 100 of the 386. The report may have confused number still in the UK's possession with the 227 still officially in service.

Shanesworld

Not 227 built: the British army received 386. 227 is the number still in service. Some of the others were converted to other uses, but I don't know what has happened to over 100 of the 386. The report may have confused number still in the UK's possession with the 227 still officially in service.
I thought the more concerning aspect was they only bought 180 AS90'S. Loosing 30 seems abit drastic.
But is just an eclectic fleet a prudent thing for ukraine? Now that Ukraine is not as likely to be crushed wouldnt it be more in ukraines best interests to supply more focus fleets of 1 or 2 types per vehicle type?