Brazilian Naval Strength

Fred06

I'm not a defense pro, but to my knowledge Brazil has 4 Tupi and 1 Tikuna (U209-1400)-It looks like all of them will be upgraded by Lockeed-Martin. I alse read somewhere that Brazil may be interested by other SSKs ? Does someone happens to have a hint about which type (Scorpene, Uxxx) ?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Supposedly there was some selection process in 2006, with U214 being favoured, and by some rumours one ordered for local build.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Lockheed Martin upgrade to the Tupi/Tikuna class is for the Integrated Combat System only as a result of Brazil's purchase of the Mk-48 heavy weight torpedo.

As for a follow-on SSK, the Scorpene is the most probable choice.

contedicavour

The French are extremely active in pushing for Scorpene SSK... also talking about help in building a local SSN...

By the way I just saw the pictures of the breaking up of the Minas Gerais in the Indian shipyard. Ouch what a sad view !! Couldn't the Brazilians have made it a museum ship ?

cheers

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Brazilian navy signs agreement for new Sikorsky Seahawks

The Brazilian navy has signed a letter of offer and acceptance with the US government covering the planned purchase of four Sikorsky S-70B Seahawk helicopters. Valued at almost $195 million, the letter also covers options for a further two aircraft.

The Seahawk purchase is aimed at reinforcing the navy's sole anti-submarine warfare squadron HS-1, which now relies on four Sikorsky and Agusta-built ASH/SH-3D Sea Kings received between 1972 and 1996. Service sources indicate that further S-70Bs are expected to be acquired between 2010 and 2015, with the final number to rise to as high as 12 airframes.

Since 2004 the Brazilian navy has been shopping for a Sea King successor, also examining types such as the AgustaWestland AW101, Eurocopter AS532SC, Kaman SH-2G Seasprite and Mil Mi-171 as potential candidates. The AW101 and Seahawk were shortlisted during that same year, but the former's price tag was found to be prohibitive for the navy's tight budget.

Preliminary studies have also indicated that the MBDA AM-39 Exocet can also be integrated with the S-70B: a key factor as the weapon is the Brazilian navy's prime anti-ship missile.
Nice that the Brazilian Navy will now operate the Sikorsky S-70B. This also means a common airframe with the Army and Air Force as they already operate the S-70A.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Lockheed Martin upgrade to the Tupi/Tikuna class is for the Integrated Combat System only as a result of Brazil's purchase of the Mk-48 heavy weight torpedo.
This new Lockheed Martin Submarine Integated Combat System (SUBICS) is currently being installed on the Brazilian submarines as well as their shore training facility.

Lockheed Martin will provide systems engineering, sensors, software and electronics for the modernization of the SSK’s control, combat management, sonar and fire control and weapons launch systems.

The new, open-architecture/local area network SUBICS will provide the Brazilian Navy with improved computer processing capacity, component redundancy and reconfiguration capability whilst well positioned for future upgrades.

I believe this is the first open architecture/LAN type SUBICS on a type 209 SSK.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The French are extremely active in pushing for Scorpene SSK... also talking about help in building a local SSN...
cheers
Word on the street is a Brazil-France defense deal should be signed soon.

The package is to include (4) Scorpene SSK to be constructed in Brazil with starts in 2009/2011/2013/2015. These Scorpenes should be ready in 2013/2015/2017/2019. There is an option for (2) more.

French assistance for the Brazilan SSN is to be included with the goal to have the SSN ready in 2020.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Brazil purchases (4) Scorpene SSK

Word on the street is a Brazil-France defense deal should be signed soon.

The package is to include (4) Scorpene SSK to be constructed in Brazil with starts in 2009/2011/2013/2015. These Scorpenes should be ready in 2013/2015/2017/2019. There is an option for (2) more.

French assistance for the Brazilan SSN is to be included with the goal to have the SSN ready in 2020.
The deal was closed on 23 Dec between Brazil and France for the purchase of (4) Scorpene SSK and construction of the SSN.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Could you pls tell me if this would be the same variant already in construction in India - the scorpenes tht is - is it the same ? any ideas on the various suites and sonar packages etc
I have not seen any details yet on the Brazilian Scorpene variant. I do know that a new shipyard west of Rio will be built for construction of this class as well as the SSN.

dragonfire

I have not seen any details yet on the Brazilian Scorpene variant. I do know that a new shipyard west of Rio will be built for construction of this class as well as the SSN.
I read somewhere that the shipyard will be built by DCNS and post construction activities will become the base for the submarines built in the project, looks like brazil has a cracked a good complete deal and I believe tht post construction the cost of the nuc-sub will be the cheapest amongst all active nuc-subs

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I read somewhere that the shipyard will be built by DCNS and post construction activities will become the base for the submarines built in the project, looks like brazil has a cracked a good complete deal and I believe tht post construction the cost of the nuc-sub will be the cheapest amongst all active nuc-subs
The new submarine shipyard will be built by a Brazilian construction company, I'm sure with heavy input by DCNS.

Once again the Brazilian SSN is merely an SSK hull with nuclear propulsion and NOT like the fleet SSN's in the USN, Royal Navy, French Navy and Russian Navy. It would not be correct to make comparisons with the Brazilian SSN to other SSNs.

dragonfire

The new submarine shipyard will be built by a Brazilian construction company, I'm sure with heavy input by DCNS.

Once again the Brazilian SSN is merely an SSK hull with nuclear propulsion and NOT like the fleet SSN's in the USN, Royal Navy, French Navy and Russian Navy. It would not be correct to make comparisons with the Brazilian SSN to other SSNs.

Ofcourse SD it in no way would compare to other currently deployed nuc-subs, but you must agree that a nuclear submarine however small or with an SSK hull (which by the way would probably be a little diff than the other scorpenes - i bet tht it would be slightly longer too) is definetely better than a conventionaly powered nuc-sub - of the top of hat - range, submereged period (am sure it will have an AIP) etc will give it more than just an edge over conventional subs

swerve

Super Moderator
...but you must agree that a nuclear submarine however small or with an SSK hull ... is definetely better than a conventionaly powered nuc-sub .
What is a "conventionaly (sic) powered nuc-sub"? Do you mean nuclear-armed? The discussion is about SSNs, i.e. nuclear-powered fleet submarines, not nuclear-armed submarines.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ofcourse SD it in no way would compare to other currently deployed nuc-subs, but you must agree that a nuclear submarine however small or with an SSK hull (which by the way would probably be a little diff than the other scorpenes - i bet tht it would be slightly longer too) is definetely better than a conventionaly powered nuc-sub - of the top of hat - range, submereged period (am sure it will have an AIP) etc will give it more than just an edge over conventional subs
Please clarify what you mean by "definetely better than a conventionaly powered nuc-sub". (?)

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Once again the Brazilian SSN is merely an SSK hull with nuclear propulsion and NOT like the fleet SSN's in the USN, Royal Navy, French Navy and Russian Navy.
Whether the relatively small French SSNs are "fleet SSNs" is another question in itself...

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
Whether the relatively small French SSNs are "fleet SSNs" is another question in itself...
I.E how do you define what is a fleet SSN.
What's interesting despite French nuke knowledge (civil) they are youngest SSN operator having its first sub commissioned in 83 nearly a decade after China.

dragonfire

What is a "conventionaly (sic) powered nuc-sub"? Do you mean nuclear-armed? The discussion is about SSNs, i.e. nuclear-powered fleet submarines, not nuclear-armed submarines.
Please clarify what you mean by "definetely better than a conventionaly powered nuc-sub". (?)

My bad - i meant conventionaly powered sub i.e. diesel / electric or other propulsion which not nuclear

My msg again - However small or with irregular design (not the usual SSN designs) a nuclear powered submarine has definite advantages over a submarine which is not having nuclear propulsion, the primary advantage being the range of the sub rises substantialy and the period it can remain submereged is also hugely diff. This being the case the brazil nuc sub on the scorpene type hull will be definetely a model which is not at par with other regular SSNs but it would be a nuc - sub nevertheless and possibily be cheaper than the other regular SSNs and perhaps pave way for future classes in this category for smaller SSNs