Australian Army Discussions and Updates

swerve

Super Moderator
Germany is not retiring Tiger in any way, shape or form.

Germany has had a program to newly procure up to around 64 H145M or similar helicopters (number went down and up a bit over time) for a couple years now, of which 24 have always been intended to be armed in order to supplant the Tiger fleet as light recce/attack helicopters....
See kato's post from earlier today, in an answer to an earlier post of yours. Note that Germany operates 51 Tigers. The 24 H145M intended to be armed are specifically for the armed light recce role, not to replace the Tiger in its main role.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Don't just post a link and not comment on it.

Also that link is a rehash of the Business Insider story and even cites it.

Totally untrue and absolutely unfair. Only Australian Defender and Contact ever go to the field with the ADF and both have been 'breaking' stories for 20 years or more.
Prove it then. Back up your claim with evidence. We are not silly and have followed defence media for years.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Totally untrue and absolutely unfair. Only Australian Defender and Contact ever go to the field with the ADF and both have been 'breaking' stories for 20 years or more.
20 or more years ago that was actually true. Now he scrapes defence images for his “exclusives” and moans a lot about his lack of access…

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A
20 or more years ago that was actually true. Now he scrapes defence images for his “exclusives” and moans a lot about his lack of access…
I bought every issue of Aussie Defender from its first in the early 90s until several years ago when I could no longer stomach the delusional rantings in the editorials while the standard of the writing deteriorated as well.

A great shame as I used to love it but now the disconnect between what they say and what I know to be true in my professional fields, means I no longer trust them on topics I don't know about.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think you mean supplement, not supplant.
I meant supplant (as in replace) - in the light recce helicopter role specifically.

The Bundeswehr actually has 68 Tigers, of which 17 are not being operated and only used for "spare parts recovery" (cannibalization) for the rest of the fleet. To some extent the additional helos would effectively replace these, taking over a part of the Tiger fleet's role and relieving them from having to work their full portfolio.

In addition the new helos are intended (and this has been criticized, including by the Federal Audit Agency) to replace Tiger in "training" roles within the attack helicopter wing, i.e. having its pilots fill out their mandatory flight hours by using H145M instead of Tiger, thus lowering maintenance requirements for the Tigers.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A

I bought every issue of Aussie Defender from its first in the early 90s until several years ago when I could no longer stomach the delusional rantings in the editorials while the standard of the writing deteriorated as well.

A great shame as I used to love it but now the disconnect between what they say and what I know to be true in my professional fields, means I no longer trust them on topics I don't know about.
Yep, his weird rantings masquerading as an ‘editorial’ put me off. On one hand ‘bagging the brass’ for all his perceived ills in the world and the next, moaning about his sudden lack of access to ADF activities.?

Doesn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed...

But my personal favourite is his habit of adding his own little ‘cool’ sounding designations to things, perhaps with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink - look at me with the real goss, attitude thrown in for good measure.

The “MH-60R Romeo Strikehawk” is his current one, but there have been plenty of others.

Lockheed Martin - MH-60R Seahawk.

US Navy - MH-60R Seahawk.

RAN - MH-60R Seahawk.

John Hunter Farrell - no, no. It’s REALLY called the Strikehawk… :rolleyes:

It’s the Gavin of naval aviation! :D

A quick wander over to his website shows his two latest ‘scoops’ being first of class trials for “Strikehawk” on Choules and something about Army focussing on ‘warfighting’… Gosh darn it, where DOES he get such wonderful info? Must be ‘truly’ connected… (to the internet).

”Strikehawk”

Army ‘warfighting’ and operating dispersed artillery capabilities…

Apparently people actually pay him for this… :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Redlands18

In the meantime - more trouble for the MRH-90 Taipan .
Another round of groundings coming up
ADF recovers MRH-90 Taipan helicopter stranded on NSW beach - ABC News
The crane on ADV Reliant has come in very handy for recovering the MRH-90. I would have to doubt it being returned to service, possibly just replace it in Sqn service with one of the ex RAN machines.

Milne Bay

ADF recovers MRH-90 Taipan helicopter stranded on NSW beach - ABC News
The crane on ADV Reliant has come in very handy for recovering the MRH-90. I would have to doubt it being returned to service, possibly just replace it in Sqn service with one of the ex RAN machines.
Probably the wrong thread to ask this, but what is the draught of ADV Reliant? Relevant if it had to get close to the beach to use its crane to lift the Taipan - or was the helicopter floated out to deeper water?
Intrigued
MB

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Probably the wrong thread to ask this, but what is the draught of ADV Reliant? Relevant if it had to get close to the beach to use its crane to lift the Taipan - or was the helicopter floated out to deeper water?
Intrigued
MB
Relevant quote from the article answers your question :
"Greg Campbell, a Jervis Bay Village local who watched the recovery from his home, said the helicopter was floated into the bay.
"The ADV Reliant picked the helicopter up from the water after it had been floated out from the beach at Iluka and loaded on board to be taken away," Mr Campbell said."

Milne Bay

Relevant quote from the article answers your question :
"Greg Campbell, a Jervis Bay Village local who watched the recovery from his home, said the helicopter was floated into the bay.
"The ADV Reliant picked the helicopter up from the water after it had been floated out from the beach at Iluka and loaded on board to be taken away," Mr Campbell said."
Ah crikey - I should have read the fine print.
Thanks
MB

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Intrigued
MB
5.8 metres : Ship RELIANT (Offshore Supply Ship) Registered in Australia - Vessel details, Current position and Voyage information - IMO 9752254, MMSI 503000206, Call Sign VMNC. That part of JB drops off pretty quick; it’s 8 metres or so 150 metres off shore.

Last edited:

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Talking of the MRH-90/NH90, I saw this one the other day and had a bit of a chuckle.

Apparently NHI has made an offer to Norway (which has already retired their NH90 fleet and is seeking MH-60R as a replacement), to fix their NH90 problems for “free”:

Apparently Norway has also previously said it wants a ”full refund” from NHI.

I hope someone from the Def Mins office is also asking NHI to fix our MRH-90s for free and/or give us a full refund too!

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The A.D.F announced last year the ordering of the Himars mobile rocket system ,recently Lockheed Martin won the U.S army's Precision Strike Missile ,the missile will have a range of a thousand kilometers and be able to be fired from the Himars ,its not known if this will be acquired by the U.S army but if so might be then sought by the A.D.F
New Maritime Strike Missile Concept Unveiled By Northrop Grumman (thedrive.com)
Considering we paid $70m to join the program as a development partner, I’d say it’s fairly likely…:rolleyes:

FormerDirtDart

The A.D.F announced last year the ordering of the Himars mobile rocket system ,recently Lockheed Martin won the U.S army's Precision Strike Missile ,the missile will have a range of a thousand kilometers and be able to be fired from the Himars ,its not known if this will be acquired by the U.S army but if so might be then sought by the A.D.F
New Maritime Strike Missile Concept Unveiled By Northrop Grumman (thedrive.com)
I don't know. I think NG's AGM-88G AARGM-ER derived "Maritime Strike" missile may be more directed toward the Offensive Anti-Surface Warfare (OASuW)/Increment 2 program. An AARGM-ER derived weapon for the USAF Stand-in Attack Weapon (SiAW) program has been in the development process for a while. And I remember talk of an AARGM-ER derived weapon a couple years ago as a contender against JSM for the OASuW-Inc2 program. I remember commenting elsewhere about whether the HARM's warhead might be a bit light for the anti-ship role.

Now, would it make sense for NG to attempt to offer a similar weapon for the US Army's Long Range Maneuverable Fires (LRMF)? Hell yeah. It's a lot easier logistically to ramp up manufacture of components for multiple modular-like systems than it is to build up separate/different production lines. I'm just thinking the authors might be making a couple not thoroughly supported assumptions, just because NG also recently was contracted for LRMF development

I would note that while the LRMF may be the next step beyond PrSM but it is not the same program, And the ADF bought into the PrSM program. Unless there is an actual announcement of joining the LRMF program I would recommend not jumping to conclusions.

buffy9

Defence blames braking fault in Hawkei armoured vehicles for reluctance to supply Ukraine

I couldn't find the above article (paywalled unfortunately) referenced anywhere, though in any case there is a reluctance to supply Ukraine with Hawkei. Issues with the vehicle's ABS is cited as reason - which sounds absurd diplomatically, considering they are at war.

Although don't have to give Ukraine everything they want and desire, it seems strange to refuse such aid based on faulty brakes, as they prepare for an offensive and as we look to probably look to sustain the Bendigo facility.

Some light may be shed by the DSR, but if there is an intent to refresh or rebuild the Bushmaster fleet, then perhaps further vehicles can be provided?