Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Australian slang guide:

"Wog" is not middile eastern. Wog is Mediterranian (Italian, Yugo, Greek) it can also apply to other non-English Europeans like Poles, Czechs, Baltics, Hungarians, etc. My father who came to Australia from Swtizerland was called a Wog at school in the 1960s despite being blonde haired, blue eyed. Now "Wog" is almost always just for Greeks and to a lesser extent Italians because of some recent cultural products. "Leb" is middile eastern, ie Lebanese. There was a Lebanese General in the Army until recently, I think he's now the Governor of Tasmania or something. I also rememver a Chinese Brigadier from the early 90s who was 1 Training Group commander. "Skip" as in Skippy the Bush Kangaroo is for Anglo-Celtic Australians. I haven't seen any of Paul Fenech's latest TV so my ethnic slang guide might be a bit out of date!

the road runner

NAMES IN AUSTRALIAN CULTURE

WOG= Western Oriental Gentalman is actually what wog means.It was a term given to Chinese,italian and Greek migrants but also extends now to most migrants who come and call Australia home.

Leb...is a term given to Lebanese people...but is it widley used by Middle Eastern people,i know alot of Egyptians,Syrians,Iranian,Iraq people who call them self LEBS,as they see that as there Culture.BUT you will find alot of the LEBANESE comunity dose not like other countrys migrants calling themselfs LEB,as alot of Lebanese comunity anger is shown when a LEB is convicted of a crime and then they figure out he is not of Lebanese descent but of Middle Eastern origin.

Also a term that is making Rounds in Australian Ethnic Circles is the word called "WOSSIE,".......this term is used by Second Generation Wogs,whose parents came here and had them. It basically stands for WOG AUSSIE,a term that shows that WOGS are proud of there parents heratige but also proud to call themselfs Australians aswell(they basicaly keep the heritage of there parents country,but are VERY proud to be AUSTRALIANS) I for one were the name like a badge of honour.

Indeginouse Australians.....THE ABORIGINAL people of this country have a number of RACIST names and i think that goes back to the times of federation,i have a number of indigonouse friends and as they say"there are racist people in AUSTRALIA,but australia is not racist"<<<and i believe in what they say.

Australia is a very Ethnical and diverse country,with a number of different races.It makes Australia a better country for having this diverse mix of cultures.I for one beineg of ethnic diversity,have experienced some racisimin by people but its a minor case of ignorance,it just goes to show you that people who have no education and do not know other countries cultures, find the unknown as frightning.

I for one as a minority and an AUSTRALIAN of ethnic descent find AUSTRALIA a country who dose have racist people in it(a small few)but as my Indeginouse mates say "australia dose have racist people in it but is not racist"

I live in the best country in the world:D with the best food, cultures and religouse mix:D....... how many countrys in the world can say

Fitter God

There are a LOT of POMS in the Aussie army too and by POMs I mean Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English etc also a lot of Kiwi's (myself included) and Islanders (Samoa, Tonga etc).

Quite a few Asians and no one I know gives a rats arse about your background (except Rugby time GO THE ALL BLACKS!). I haven't once heard a comment about someone being of a different background. Colour, Creed or religion we really don't care so long as we feel we can trust you in the shit, I know Skips I don't want backing me up in a firefight LOL.

willur

There are a LOT of POMS in the Aussie army too and by POMs I mean Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English etc also a lot of Kiwi's (myself included) and Islanders (Samoa, Tonga etc).

Quite a few Asians and no one I know gives a rats arse about your background (except Rugby time GO THE ALL BLACKS!). I haven't once heard a comment about someone being of a different background. Colour, Creed or religion we really don't care so long as we feel we can trust you in the shit, I know Skips I don't want backing me up in a firefight LOL.
probably good fortune I remember only 2 occasions in my service once was on exercise waiting inline to clean dixies comment was directed to those of asian discent(my family is from brunei) the other was because I was an ex commando returned to a infantry battalion and the comment was directed to green berets(they are a separate breed:)) from a SGt who by the way ended up against the side of a building with the look of fear in his eyes:). As I have worked on a number of occasions with members from alot of different backgrounds I have never seen any real hard rascism(although my nik was BB) espescially from ADF or others.

Last edited:

Driller

Just a quick question, when would the ADF be looking at replacing the Styer? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the 2008-2016 Defense budget?

A

Aussie Digger

Just a quick question, when would the ADF be looking at replacing the Styer? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the 2008-2016 Defense budget?
They don't intend to replace the F-88A1 Steyr. It will be upgraded is all.

the road runner

Actually Thales Australia is upgrading the Styer under Land 125 phase 3.
The Styer will have a Picatinny rail mounting system for accessories as Red dot aiming/day and night vision optics/40mm grenade launcher and tourch.

The upgrades for the F88 will serve the Australian Army,RAAF air defence guards and Naval boarding parties.Dosent look like the ADF will be replacing the Styer for a while

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The F88 Austeyr already has those upgrades, the Land 125 project will add a power and computer management system. Tere is a program called Land 158 to replace the current small arms by 2020.

A

Aussie Digger

DO you think it needs to be replaced digger? Thanks for the info btw
Not really. A bit more "modularity" would be nice, but I don't see any pressing need for the weapon to be replaced, nor anything that would provide such a superior solution that it's worth the cost of replacing the entire F-88 based capability...

splat

Banned Member
Does anyone know what sort of effort is being or going to be provided by the adf to help out with the vic fires?...Also what type of equipment is to be deployed?

I saw some m113's on the news out at one of the towns so what would they be used for?...As something to ferry personell and supplies?As a vehicle to clear trees from roads?As mabey a short duration fire proof emergency vehicle?

lobbie111

Does anyone know what sort of effort is being or going to be provided by the adf to help out with the vic fires?...Also what type of equipment is to be deployed?

I saw some m113's on the news out at one of the towns so what would they be used for?...As something to ferry personell and supplies?As a vehicle to clear trees from roads?As mabey a short duration fire proof emergency vehicle?
Likely, I would also assume that they would have lines of infantry defoliating patches of land to put a barrier up between the fire

stump1100

According to the Australian website, they are being used as mobile comd posts in addition to road clearing and emergency shelters.

the road runner

just heard on the news that the ADF/Army will be used to help search for dead bodies with the state coroner and fire fighters.The army will also help clean up the destroyed houses.Army has already set up tents for some homeless residence.RED CROSS has donated close to $16 million(from people all round Australia)

Dose the ADF have Trauma teams,helping there Melbourne Hospital colleagues?
The news Stated that the Burns were worse than the Bali bombings and over 500 people have suffered horrific burns.Over 200 people have past away,with the count rising all the time.Having a mother who has suffered 3rd degree burns on her hand and legs(not from bush fires)and seeing what the dedicated people of the burns units do ,all i can do is praise these special people.

For the loss of 200+ country men and women and 500 injured,words cannot describe the hurt,sorrow and compassion i have for these brave souls and there family.

For the SES and Professional Fire fighters/Police/Ambos/ADF.......Bloody "CHAMPIONS" every one of you

As for the "Arsonest" who light these fires and cause so much death and destruction your time will come:nutkick

Whole Townships have been declared crime scenes(link bellow)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopNews/idUKTRE5171EI20090210

AS our Prime minister,Mr Kevin Rudd has has said "its mass murder"

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The ADF 'searchers' were apparently mostly 2 Div Reservists who were on pre-deployment training for OP ANODE in the Solomons.

One Reservist reportedly searched a house and found six charred bodies inside. Hopefully their Solomons tour will be a piece of cake compared to this. :(