Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Milne Bay

No suggestion of conspiracy. Just outstanding questions. If they just answered the questions there would be no more questions right? Any defamation or conspiracy as you put it (I don’t think it’s unreasonable or a conspiracy or defaming to ask why another $4 billion was sent to the tip) comes from not providing suitable responses to the reasoning Behind the decision. All of this could be avoided by providing numbers and having someone stand behind the decision.

I haven’t seen any suggestion they would be sent to Ukraine without support from Airbus. I don’t see how Australia DOD can make these calls for the Ukraine.

As to the 2 recent accidents that tragically caused injury and loss of life has the investigation outcome been determined?
The horse is dead.
Stop flogging it.
MB

Bob53

It is rather simple, Australian Defence absolutely can make such calls for the Ukraine, because Defence is the holder of the Australian kit in question that people have repeatedly raised as being something worth transferring.

One thing about Defence being the holder of the MRH90, that means Defence is going to have a much better idea of what condition those MRH90's are in, as well as what plans Defence and likely wider AusGov has for the helicopters and/or their components.

Something else worth considering is the fact that the RAN retired it's complement of MRH90's from service back in April (I believe, might have month wrong) of 2022, well before the two helicopter accidents experienced by Army in 2023. Of further interest, the seven MRH90's which had been retired by the RAN were being held in preservation maintenance as of November 2022, whilst the fate of the entire MRH90 fleet was being decided upon. Apparently it had been determined by the end of 2021 that the MRH90 Taipans were not fit for Australian service and were in need of replacement.

When one also adds in the fact that on 3 Feb 2023 Australia ordered 40 UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters, it should be quite obvious that the MRH90 was already well on it's way out of service even before the first accident back in March 2023. With the second accident coming about four months later and the subsequent fleetwide grounding whilst the accident was investigated and the type having been retired from RAN service ~14 months prior, it is little wonder that Defence and/or gov't decided to pull the trigger and just retire the design completely. Once the design stopped being in flying service, why would Australia pay to maintain it in flyable condition? Keep the aircraft in preventive maintenance so that major components which are still useful and could likely be sold as spares and possibly enable Australia to recover some of the funds spent. As already mentioned, the ex-RAN MRH90's had been in this status for over a year before the fleetwide grounding which would suggest that Australia and Defence had the opportunity to determine a course of action which would provide some value to Defence re: disposing of the MRH90's. Now if Ukraine sent a formal request for the donation of ex-Australian MRH90 Taipan helicopters in mid-December 2023, that would be worth SFA if Australia had already decided upon a course of action to dispose of their retired helicopters.

Even if no decisions had been made initially, work to determine what to do with ex-ADF MRH90's would likely have been going on for two years or more before Ukraine's formal request. I would expect any such work to be done to determine what was the best course of action for Australia and/or Defence to take, for the benefit of Australia.
I don’t disagree with anything you have stated in relation to the AU experience and decision to retire and replace them. it’s all spot on. The questions were about how the dig a ditch and bury them decision was arrived at and executed so quickly and how that was a financially better option. Is leaving them in a shed for 12 -24 months costly? Why don’t they just show the numbers and articles like that in APDR will stop arising? The question re Ukraine is a bit loose as well.

Bob53

The horse is dead.
Stop flogging it.
MB
Sorry are you a mod these days? Congratulations on the promotion. I posted an article on the matter. the horse may be dead in regard to the outcome. Agree on that. however I doubt the politics are quite finished with. If it’s something else triggering you here get over it.

Takao

The Bunker Group
I don’t disagree with anything you have stated in relation to the AU experience and decision to retire and replace them. it’s all spot on. The questions were about how the dig a ditch and bury them decision was arrived at and executed so quickly and how that was a financially better option. Is leaving them in a shed for 12 -24 months costly? Why don’t they just show the numbers and articles like that in APDR will stop arising? The question re Ukraine is a bit loose as well.
Because, quite frankly, APDR deliberately ignores the official line and briefings if they don't mesh with his personal views. There are some pretty clear reasons why he used to, but no longer does, receive invites to R1 and R2. Take these specific questions that are 'unanswered':

The outstanding questions that are yet to be answered…
Who exactly ( which person) decided that putting them in a hole in the ground was the best option?
How much are we getting for the parts to be sold, That dollar figure apparently justified this course of action?
How was this decision and action executed so quickly?
Can anyone seriously believe that no Existing or new MRH90 operators, no Army, Navy or Airforce operating in the world, anywhere was not interested in the Taipans in any way shape or form?
How can the Australian Army and Au DOD possibly decide what is the right equipment for the Ukraine?
Why is is that the Army and DOD instruct or tell the government what to do? Who is running the place? But that is really a pointed question for the Gov ( Wong, Conroy, Marles) who are giving deadpan responses that the Army told them this was the best option …..Which was apparently accepted without question. Do they they just accept everything the Army or DOD say without question? Of course not so what happened in this case?
If APDR was doing their job, they'd realise that these were answered (not for the first time) on 14 Feb in Senate Estimates. Let's have a look, shall we...

Who exactly ( which person) decided that putting them in a hole in the ground was the best option?
No one has. Let's see what MAJGEN King (who is the CASG 'owner' of all helicopters said on page 28:
The third phase is the treatment of the residual of the system, including what will likely be all of the airframes. That has gone out to market. There has been no decision on exactly how those airframes will be treated. No airframes have been cut up. No airframes have been buried, as much as many people like to talk about it in the general media. With those airframes and the remainder of the system, we are waiting to close out the second phase so that we can extract as much value out of that system as we can, before we then identify the appropriate manner to dispose of what is remaining.
There's some more comments before; but no one has decided yet on the best way forward. Taking the generic approach, CASG advises the Capability Manager (in this case, Chief of Army) when an asset becomes economically unsustainable, or is meeting the planned end of life. The CM considers from a capability point of view if the fleet can be disposed of, and if so, gives permission. CASG then disposes in the best way. Nothing special here.

How much are we getting for the parts to be sold, That dollar figure apparently justified this course of action?
Frankly, it's not your right to know that. Don't be upset, it's also not mine. They are commercial-in-confidence figures and will likely remain confidential until all disposal actions are complete. I know that of the four fleets I disposed of last year, final costs were treated confidentially until there was no longer assets in existence. But, if you wish justification, CA on page 27:
The disposal plan sought to ensure that the best value for money and the best contribution to our capability were maintained. There were a range of options that were canvassed.
How was this decision and action executed so quickly?
Quickly? They have been sitting there for six months since the decision was made to not reinstate them! MAJGEN King on p 23:

government announcing the cessation of flying, on 29 September
Now, stepping outside Senate Estimates, we find this article talking about an order for UH-60M being placed on or before 03 Feb 23. That means there was a MRH-90 replacement project in existence before Feb 23 (hell, noting Christmas and the like, before Oct 22) that had made it through Government approvals. I would suggest such a project started very soon after FSP 20, as the cost per flying hour was a key discussion point. So the disposal plan for MRH-90 has been in development since at least Oct 22....

Can anyone seriously believe that no Existing or new MRH90 operators, no Army, Navy or Airforce operating in the world, anywhere was not interested in the Taipans in any way shape or form?
Yup. The aircraft hasn't lived up to its glossy brochure and it's generally a drain on resources. Beyond that, CA on page 27:
To summarise, however, there were no user nations that were interested at all in accepting, buying, fully assembled aircraft. The value in the platforms, which relates to the underperformance in the system, is in the spare parts and things like tail rotor gearboxes and the like. That contribution into the global system, which has been acknowledged by Airbus and NHI, will see an injection of those key spare parts into the system, which may improve system performance for other users.
and MAJGEN King on page 28:
That involved seeking out expressions of interest from every nation who operated the aircraft as to whether there was interest in the whole aircraft, the system or indeed the parts. Only one country, who eventually stepped back—that was New Zealand—offered interest in whole aircraft. As a result the only interest from all operators was for parts. In parallel with that, we engaged NATO Helicopter Industries, the original equipment manufacturer. Throughout last year, throughout that process, we continually engaged with them, seeking options for where there may be options in the worldwide market for either parts or aircraft. Their advice to us throughout that process was that there was no-one in the world who was interested in our aircraft.
A - there's a number of orgs that could have protested inaccuracy in the past month, especially NHI or Airbus. The NZDF is quoted specifically. No-one has. B - if there were people who wanted the whole helicopter, as soon as evidence comes out then two VSO will be found to have lied to the Senate. Do you honestly think that either would? Over a helicopter going out of service? C - there were other countries interested in Taipan in any shape or form, it was just the form was in bits, not a whole helicopter.

How can the Australian Army and Au DOD possibly decide what is the right equipment for the Ukraine?
In this case, as the world fleet leaders, we are the experts in keeping the helicopter flying. I'd suggest if any nation asked, we'd recommend no. Unlike social media 'experts', when we donated to Ukraine we donated capabilities (kit, spares, ammo, training, the lot). Knowing what we know, why would we lump them with an MRH? Also, the specific UKR request comes on17 Dec, 6 weeks after disposal action commenced. Why would we hand over incomplete capability?

Why is is that the Army and DOD instruct or tell the government what to do? Who is running the place? But that is really a pointed question for the Gov ( Wong, Conroy, Marles) who are giving deadpan responses that the Army told them this was the best option …..Which was apparently accepted without question. Do they they just accept everything the Army or DOD say without question? Of course not so what happened in this case?
This is emotional claptrap. Defence offers advice to the Government, they can chose to take it or not. They have the final say and can step in at any time. Again, the Government directed the fleet be grounded permanently on 29 Sep; after that disposal action is in accord with their direction. They regularly question and clarify; neither side allows us much leash (as is correct), especially for the big stuff. Noting all the media claptrap about this, you don't think those mentioned have asked to see the figures? You don't think MAJGEN King and CA have personally walked them through the figures, dates and info? Ha - of course they have. And you think that advice differs from what was said in Estimates? Ha.

I'm sorry, but this whole MRH-90 deal needs a strong element of Frozen added. And APDR treated like the gossip mag it has become...

x720.jpg

Last edited:

MickB

I suspect it’s would be incredibly embarrassing for the Australian Army if these airframes went to the Ukraine and were operated successfully …. ps://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/APDR-March-2024_InteractiveSingles.pdf
Tired of the natative that the same maintainers that keep the Blackhawks and Chinooks flying with few issues, somehow turn into gibbering morons at the very sight of a MH 90.

And that Ausgov and the whole ADF are part of some grand conspericy to hide this "fact".
A "fact" pushed by APDR who by some strange coincidence receives ad reveniue from Airbus.
Now there is a conspericy theory for you.

MickB

how did they arrive at the decision to send them to the tip in the first place …… a massive and $4 billion dollar costly knee jerk response. ps://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/APDR-March-2024_InteractiveSingles.pdf
Curious where you the $4 billion price from.
I was always told in a free market the cost of an item is only as much as what someone is willing to pay for it.
As we have seen in the current market the price of a 2nd hand MH 90 is sweet F A.

Morgo

Interesting discussion of the logistics around the US Army watercraft being used to build the pier in Gaza, especially the issues around sea keeping on long transits. Likely to be a big issue for us given the size of our region.

Given the number of similar but modern vessels we’re about to acquire this is going to be a really meaningful additional capability for the US when we’re acting with them.

rjtjrt

Given the recruitment issues for Australian Defence Force, is it time to actively consider a Gurkha Unit, with the promise of citizenship after service?
I am serious in putting this forward.
Win/win situation as I see it.
It would have to be negotiated and agreed by the Nepalese Government before it could be implemented of course.

Last edited:

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Given the recruitment issues for Australian Defence Force, is it time to actively consider a Gurkha Unit, with the promise of citizenship after service?
It would have to be negotiated and agreed by the Nepalese Government before it could be implemented of course.
And who's going to sign off on the rather large security issue involved with having non-Australian citizens having access to Defence systems, armouries, classified platforms etc etc if you dangle citizenship _after_ their initial service ? I can also foresee a sizeable PR/media issue when certain elements in Australian society gets wind of more foreigners coming into the country stealing jobs blah blah blah. Not saying the idea doesn't have merit, but not as simple as negotiating a simple agreement between us and the Nepalese government, vast policy issues involved as well.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Why not some of the Pacifica island nations if we were thinking that way ?
I would imagine that Australia would still need to setup some sort of screening and/or selection system for non-Australian's to join the ADF, apart from whatever lateral transfer system exists where Kiwi, British, Canadian or American personnel can join the ADF.

One needs to remember that Australia is both a 5Eyes and ABCA nation and now AUKUS has been added as well. That means there is classified information potentially circulating that is not to be available to people outside of these organizations. Prior to Australia really being able to recruit and/or raise a Pacific Islands formation frameworks would need to be established for recruiting and selection, training, discharges, admin/legal, and likely a host of other things.

Yes, the Brits do have the Gurkhas, but the frame for this to function for the British Army has been in place for some time (albeit with changes having taken place over the years).

TBH I am not certain just how much value drawing personnel from S. Pacific islands would be to Australia. Consider for a moment that Australia has provided support to the Pacific Islands Forum in the form of patrol boats so that member nations can patrol their own waters and EEZ's to a degree. IIRC the original Pacific-class patrol boats, as well as the successor Guardian-class were designs to be easier to support and maintain by the various nations, and the RAN provides personnel for technical support. This suggests to me that some of the more technically demanding posts in the ADF would likely not posts that those who would might join such a scheme would really be appropriate for. I would imagine that those with the intelligence and/or technical savvy to qualify for higher education and/or work away from their homes, i.e. the best and brightest, would probably be seeking out opportunities to study overseas and not joining the ADF. This would likely leave non-technical roles being the primary areas available to Pacific Islanders and I suspect that these are also the roles that Australia also likely has less of a problem filling already.

There is also strategic considerations needing some thought as well, given how this could potentially impact the 'local' population of some of the Pacific Islands. Apart from PNG, none of the nations have a population over 1 mil. people and only a few of them have populations over 250k, whilst several do not even break 75k. Attempting to recruit even 100 personnel from a nation like Tuvalu, the Cook Islands or the Marshall Islands would amount to a significant number of people of certain age ranges and likely skill sets for these islands. It might just be my POV, but it would not be in Australia's interest to recruit Pacific Islanders to serve in the ADF, and in doing so wreck the societies in these same island nations by draining so many young, relatively fit and educated and people. At the same time, if one were to then decide to only draw in a few people from the various Pacific Islands, then that would not be enough to have any real impact upon ADF personnel numbers. If the number per nation was dropped to only 10 personnel per Pacific Island Forum member-states, that would only leave ~120 personnel being recruited for the ADF.

Maranoa

You blokes obviously don't know much about Pacific Island military forces. Coups, lawlessness, weapons theft and sale, running armed standover gangs targeting businesses, using defence force helicopters in bank heists, general mayhem, murder and frequent mutiny are just some of the fun you get to experience in our neighbourhood states bought to you by their armed security agencies. Throwing passports at the ADF's recruiting problems will not solve anything, just create new and far more serious problems.

I think the ADF recruitment might be a bit too selective. Lower entry fitness standards, extend recruit school and get people to the fitness level required during basic training. There’s a lot patriotic young people that get deflated by the process. The ADF use to be great at developing people that struggled in society, we need to get back to giving people a chance.

I’m not sure there’s a recruitment issue, 70-80k applicants a year, I think it’s a selection issue.

Anthony_B_78

I’m not sure there’s a recruitment issue, 70-80k applicants a year, I think it’s a selection issue.
And a stuffing people around issue. It's definitely a major problem that there's so much waiting for courses to begin. No easy solution but they have to recognise that people not willing to wait doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have been a good service member. They - the defence forces - are like any employer in existing in a competitive market.

protoplasm

And a stuffing people around issue. It's definitely a major problem that there's so much waiting for courses to begin. No easy solution but they have to recognise that people not willing to wait doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have been a good service member. They - the defence forces - are like any employer in existing in a competitive market.
This is one of the major issues. Fix this and we'll have a huge boost in recruits. The majority of my senior students who express a desire to join the ADF who begin the process end up doing other things because they get stuffed around. While they are waiting for endless process #6 to happen they get a training offer from trade scheme X, and off they go, lost to the ADF forever. We have to be prepared to take on 12k school leavers in Jan, Feb and March each year, put them through basic and washout those who won't make it, finish training the rest. We have to be prepared to cop the cost of doing basic training with a LOT of recruits, to get the numbers at the other end that we need.

recce.k1

For balance the US military actively recruits from its U.S. territories in the Pacific particularly Micronesia and American Samoa in Polynesia.

And these can be much smaller societies and are more spread out. Seems the US has made it work to some extent (including those recruited from the islands serving in Afghanistan and Iraq within the US military).

Micronesia:

American Samoa:

Reading between the lines of a post above it appears the concerns are with some Melanesian nations (rather than the Pacific Islands in a generalised sense?) and therefore is seen as a potential issue (for Australian recruitment) due to past and current tensions and instability (and thinking, cultural wise)?

If so ironically Australia has had the 'greatest' (direct) linkages with Melanesia historically (in terms of geography, political/economic dimensions and similar shared WW2 experiences) and is currently an area the Aust. Govt is seriously investing in to counter rising CCP influence by the establishment of security agreements and the development of bases for shared use etc.

I'm not making a judgment on actual recruitment as that is a political issue (with its pros and cons). But suggest as the ADF works more closely with the Melanesian nations such as PNG, Solomons, Fiji etc, presumably we will see more personel exchanges and efforts to integrate and align training to better reflect best practice and culture.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It's really the recruitment process that Is failing the Army.
I've said it before.
The process is way too long and drawn out.
A simple entry exam to test the candidates ability to learn.
A criminal back ground check.
A medical assessment.
An aptitude test.
A psych test.
Sign the contract, get on the bus.....