Australian Army Discussions and Updates

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Drive has an article on the prototype Abrams X at sixty tone ten tons lighter than the standard Abrams and also having a self loading and 3 man crew ,better power drive it seems to have some advantages over the present version perhaps easier to deploy in regions heavier tanks could not
AbramsX Next Generation Main Battle Tank Breaks Cover | The Drive
That is a concept demonstrator. It’s not a part of a program of record. Apart from that mock-up which was designed primarily to show off possible future technologies it doesn’t exist and weight is of course, entirely unknown because it does not in fact, exist…

seaspear

This article suggests it has the ability to function at sixty tons
Next Generation AbramsX Tank | NextBigFuture.com
Everything under the hull of the AbramsX main battle tank - Task & Purpose (taskandpurpose.com)
Next Generation AbramsX Tank Will Have Hybrid Power Plant | The Drive
, I realise as of yet there are no orders for this ,but the advantage of a lighter tank of this family with similar capabilities should be worth a look
U.S. Army Finally Reveal New Abrams X Tank #shorts - Bing video

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Yes, but what tons? Proper standard 1000 kg tons, or puny little "let's make our tanks seem bigger" 907 kg American 'short' tons?

73.6 short tons = 66,750 kg. 60 short tons = 54,400 kg.

Everyone else means 1000 kg when they give the weight of a tank in tons. With the USA, one never knows.
Not really. There is the tonne aka the metric ton or 1,000 kg. In US usage a ton is 2,000 lbs which is also referred to as a 'short ton' but not in the US. If one were to ask most Americans what a 'short ton' is, they would most likely have NFI what they were being asked. Then of course there are also the 'long ton' from the Imperial measurements.

In US usage, any time the measurement of a ton is used, it is going to be for 2,000 lbs.

Bob53

Not really. There is the tonne aka the metric ton or 1,000 kg. In US usage a ton is 2,000 lbs which is also referred to as a 'short ton' but not in the US. If one were to ask most Americans what a 'short ton' is, they would most likely have NFI what they were being asked. Then of course there are also the 'long ton' from the Imperial measurements.

In US usage, any time the measurement of a ton is used, it is going to be for 2,000 lbs.
Stick with imperial ….. this is from a note my grandfather from Womboota wrote…no doubt he copied it but…..It all started back in 1966 when they changed to decimal currency and my overdraft was doubled.

I was just getting used to it when they brought in kilograms instead of pounds and my wool clip dropped by half. Then they changed to millimetres and we haven't had an inch of rain since So what do they do They bring in a thing called Celisus and it never gets better than 40 degrees in summer No wonder my wheat wont grow. And if this wasn't enough they had change us from acres to hectares and I end up with half the land I had.

I bought a small car to beat the oil crisis but they changed from gallons to litres and now I m using four times as much fuel as before. So one day I sat down and had a think.I reckon that with daylight saving I was working seven extra hours a week for nothing.I decided to sell out To cap it all off just as I put the place in the agents hands they changed from miles to kilometres.and now I find I'm so far out of town nobody wants to buy the place ….

swerve

Super Moderator

Not consistently. The US navy gives ship tonnages in Imperial (long) & metric tons, for example.

Therein lies the problem. One has to know what type of ton is used for a particular purpose, & remember that unofficial sources might make assumptions about the type which are not necessarily accurate. The USAF gives aircraft weights in pounds & kg, but things they carry can have ambiguous weights in tons. It's a bit of a mess.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Not consistently. The US navy gives ship tonnages in Imperial (long) & metric tons, for example.

Therein lies the problem. One has to know what type of ton is used for a particular purpose, & remember that unofficial sources might make assumptions about the type which are not necessarily accurate. The USAF gives aircraft weights in pounds & kg, but things they carry can have ambiguous weights in tons. It's a bit of a mess.
CCP minions likely have a huge database with all various units employed by potential adversaries converted to metric.:confused:

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Back in the long distant past (some 60 odd years ago) I was taught to spell the Metric ton as a tonne to show the difference. This disappeared a long time ago, however the difference is small, about 15 to 16kg. the American short ton is what throughs a spanner in the works, their other mechanical standards also made things confusing though the poms were worse in the early days

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Back in the long distant past (some 60 odd years ago) I was taught to spell the Metric ton as a tonne to show the difference. This disappeared a long time ago, however the difference is small, about 15 to 16kg. the American short ton is what throughs a spanner in the works, their other mechanical standards also made things confusing though the poms were worse in the early days
Try get something made with a BSPT tread in India .

From memory they used ANF and I was told very firmly I was making BSPT up and it didn't exist.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Try get something made with a BSPT tread in India .

From memory they used ANF and I was told very firmly I was making BSPT up and it didn't exist.
From memory I can remember dealing with Witworth, BSF, BSP, Ba, SAE and then unified at a later date when dealing with pom gear and I had 3 or 4 different spanner sets to deal with them. Metrics made life a lot simpler .

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
From memory I can remember dealing with Witworth, BSF, BSP, Ba, SAE and then unified at a later date when dealing with pom gear and I had 3 or 4 different spanner sets to deal with them. Metrics made life a lot simpler .
It certainly sounds like Brit gear.
To rebuild any Pom marine power generator say 30-80Kva you need all of the above.
By comparison, rebuilding a 3TL Yanmar can be done with 3 x spanners, 15mm, 19mm and 21mm (personal experience)

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It certainly sounds like Brit gear.
To rebuild any Pom marine power generator say 30-80Kva you need all of the above.
By comparison, rebuilding a 3TL Yanmar can be done with 3 x spanners, 15mm, 19mm and 21mm (personal experience)
Talking about Pommy engines, my old boss used to tell me that "Gardiners are next to Godliness".

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Currently restoring an MGB at work and bloody thing has every damn type of bolt you can imagine -_- now currently trying to work out where they all go
My dad had the tool kit from his Riley Pathfinder in his shed, it included taps and dies.

MARKMILES77

78 new Bushmasters for Army ordered.
Maybe to replace those sent to Ukraine and/or to keep the production line open.
The interesting question is will they be the new MR6 design, the NZ MR5.5 design or will they just build them to the original design?

Stampede

78 new Bushmasters for Army ordered.
Maybe to replace those sent to Ukraine and/or to keep the production line open.
The interesting question is will they be the new MR6 design, the NZ MR5.5 design or will they just build them to the original design?

An interesting one.
Replacements for those sent to Ukraine?
New design or old design?
Just a thought, but maybe with the 129 IFV number announcement, Army may start to phase out some of the M113's and we'll see more motorised and less Mechanised units sooner rather than later.

My reading is these current new build Bushmasters are not apart of the future Land 4110 project

Army in transition!

Anyway Bendigo will be happy with some extra work.

Cheers S

buffy9

Hawkei production is happening now, the Army is nowhere near having all 1300 delivered, unfortunately with a brake issue that is causing some issues.
The last of the vehicles came off the line last year, unless an extension occurred at some point?

There is an interesting article in the most recent DTR release that indicates interest by Japan for 1-2,000 vehicles - though how much work this would entail from Bendigo is unknown, considering Thales has perhaps partnered with MHI.

An interesting one.
Replacements for those sent to Ukraine?
New design or old design?
Just a thought, but maybe with the 129 IFV number announcement, Army may start to phase out some of the M113's and we'll see more motorised and less Mechanised units sooner rather than later.

My reading is these current new build Bushmasters are not apart of the future Land 4110 project

Army in transition!

Anyway Bendigo will be happy with some extra work.

Cheers S
I believe this would be damaging in the long-run. While I understand the desire to cut AFVs to fund other priorities, it remains a glaring issue. I suspect that if we start equipping 80% of our infantry units with PMVs, there will be zero drive to fix this in the future - leaving us with the minimal one mechanised battalion, which a capable brigade that does not make, even with an ACR.

I would hope that Bushmaster could refresh the current Bushmaster fleet, rolling enhancements out based on experience operating them over the past two decades. It remains a good vehicle, and if we sort out teething issues quickly (such as with this recent announcement), then an MR6/MR7 version may be better prepared than Hawkei was to phase out some of our older vehicles. Good thing about a refresh is that we can probably do it quicker, and tolerate a some small risk sending some of the current vehicles to do what they were supposed to do.

Just as Unimogs/Macks and Land Rovers needed replacing, so too will G-Wagon* and Bushmaster over the coming years. Or perhaps we can leave it past its use by date...

* I'm aware it isn't that old (last vehicle came off in 2012 iirc), so depending how worn out they are getting on duty, a twenty year life would have them needing replacement or refurb in 2032.

Last edited:

Redlands18

Last edited: