Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Scott Elaurant

Seeing the comments here about Abrams in the RAA, USA approval to send Abrams to Ukraine, German approval to send Leopards to Ukraine, logistics factors and known MBT orders, I had a question for those who know about armour:

Would it be worthwhile for Australia to send its existing 50 Abrams MBTs to Ukraine (or Poland, see below) to assist in their defense, then bring forward the introduction into Australian service of either new Abrams MBTs or Lynx family AT vehicle mentioned above, in their place?

As I see it, advantages of this would be:
- Australian Abrams could be supplied quickly, given the need of Ukrainian army is urgent (before northern Spring)
- Australia is transitioning from current Abrams to either next generation Abrams or whatever the defense review recommends anyway.
- alternatively if Australian Abrams went to Poland, Poland could release more of its Leopard 2s to Ukraine immediately.
- IMO sending Australian Abrams to Poland and a consequent sending of Polish Leopards to Ukraine actually works better than direct sending of Australian Abrams to Ukraine. Poland has 28 Abrams and has ordered 250, to replace its existing 250 Leopard 2s. So Poland knows how to maintain and operate Abrams; Ukraine does not. Ukraine ends up with a more homogenous NATO type MBT force of mainly Leopard 2s makes their trainging and logistics easier.

I am not expert in tanks so apologies if this is unrealistic. I am interested in understanding what is feasible.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
First of all, SEP v3 is already 70 tons, how much more armor do you think we can put on this thing? We're getting past the Königstiger and moving towards Maus territorry lol.

And obviously you can't kill the unmanned turret with a 7.62. There are some misconceptions here. Unmanned turrets still have ballistic protection. I don't remember the exact specs but the amount of damage that would knock out the unmanned turret was about the same as the manned one.

You can damage the optics or the gun of an M1 Abrams pretty easily too. Maybe a bit harder than the alternative but still. I'm pretty sure Australia with their relatively small population would prefer crew safety over anything else.

I give M1 10-15 years the most depending on how china acts. I believe they started development of a new generation tank around the same time as Rheinmetall with their KF51. The Germans were just faster.
So let's see if I understand what you are saying.

An M-1A2 with the latest armour, sensor and self defence configuration is an obsolete death trap?

Conversely, the positively ancient M-113 that is vulnerable to close range 5.56x45 at at its very best upgraded configuration is only protected over it frontal arc against 14.5mm (or was it 12.7mm), is good to run on for another thirty or forty years?

Try reading up on the battle of 73 Easting during the 91 Gulf War. M-1 has been upgraded and improved multiple times since, Russia and China may have shiny new demonstrators but most or their armour is basically equivalent to what the Iraqi Republican Guard fielded in 91.

Another factor is experience and competence. Look at the mess in Ukraine at all levels plus China's almost complete lack of combat experience. The junior US officers of 1991 are now Generals.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One of the arguments against the M-1 being supplied to Ukraine is its need for kerosene instead of diesel.

I believe some, including Australia's M-1s have been modified/tuned to burn diesel. This may also apply to the USMC M-1s but don't quote me as this is just an assumption on my part.
The engine is multi-fuel, it just needs a tuning to run differing fuels. Australia runs ours exclusively on diesel.

Abrams and it’s alleged complexity / fuel usage issues is one of the bigger myths on the internet.

Redlands18

Unfortunately it is pay per view, but worth it.
There is an excellent Doco on YT from the series Megafactories on the re-life process that the M-1 is put through, this was done at the time the Australian M-1A1 AIM Tanks were done, so a lot of the technology being fitted has changed, but it does give you a good idea of the process.
And a couple of the Australian Tanks are featured near the end.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I give M1 10-15 years the most depending on how china acts. I believe they started development of a new generation tank around the same time as Rheinmetall with their KF51. The Germans were just faster.
Yeah, no. Rheinmetall presented the KF51 Panther at Eurosatory 2022. In order to have something like that to show would require several levels of design phases to have been completed, work that normally takes several years.

As has already been mentioned, the US is still in the concept stage as part of an overall US Army armored vehicle development programs. This means that development of an actual vehicle (or even what the vehicle requirements would be) has yet to begin. Again, as already mentioned, this (setting requirements or parameters) is expected to occur sometime this year

For those familiar with US weapon development programmes, it often takes a number of years between when the vehicle or system requirements are specified, and the initial entry into US service. At this point, it typically takes more than a decade for the US to develop and then field new combat systems. However, there are a number of examples where systems took significantly longer to complete development, production and then begin entering service. The US Army's current FVL programme is to a degree an example of that, having been initially started as the Joint Multi-Role (JMR) helicopter programme, which then was the FVL initiative in 2011. By 2019 there were tech demonstrators flying, with plans to have part of the programme, now known as the FLRAA (Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft) running and in December 2022 the V-280 Valor was selected, with the planned entry into US service beginning in 2030.

IMO there are two things take away from the FVL programme. The first is that whilst Bell's V-280 design had been selected back in 2013 to be one of the tech demonstrators, it is still expected to take ~17 years to go from design to actually existing, in service kit. The second is that one of the helicopters the V-280 is expected to replace, is the US Army's fleet of UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters, with the US Army expecting to still be flying the Black Hawk well into the 2040's. IIRC the expected retirement date for US Army Black Hawk helicopters is ~2045-2048, or 15+ years after the replacement has entered service.

When one considers that the US has a stock of some 8k M1 Abrams, albeit many are in storage and not combat ready or active in a unit, it would take a number of years from US armour production to have built enough new tanks to replace/retire the existing fleet That production also cannot commence until a completed design is selected, and there currently is no completed design ready and available for selection. AFAIK there is not even a prototype or tech demonstrator though the Abrams X might have been developed and built far enough along to be considered a prototype or tech demonstrator. OTOH, depending on how much the internals have been changed for the Abrams X and whether or not existing Abrams hulls could be remanufactured into Abrams X, that might be considered less of a prototype and more a spiral of future development path for the existing design.

Redlands18

The 2020 FSP, includes $8-11B for "Tank Replacement Evaluation and Design" starting around 2032-33, that would fit in nicely with the next gen European and US projects currently under way.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
First of all, SEP v3 is already 70 tons, how much more armor do you think we can put on this thing? We're getting past the Königstiger and moving towards Maus territorry lol.

And obviously you can't kill the unmanned turret with a 7.62. There are some misconceptions here. Unmanned turrets still have ballistic protection. I don't remember the exact specs but the amount of damage that would knock out the unmanned turret was about the same as the manned one.

You can damage the optics or the gun of an M1 Abrams pretty easily too. Maybe a bit harder than the alternative but still. I'm pretty sure Australia with their relatively small population would prefer crew safety over anything else.

Ok, time for a Moderators lesson to a newbie.

You are ignoring what qualified posters are telling you. These posters know the army, military equipment, tactics strategies and have forgotten more than you'll know as a civilian who hasn't served. One thing us defence professionals do know is our areas of expertise and at least one subject matter expert has answered you. One in particular is a regular army office still serving who is experienced in these matters.

WRT you comments about the M113 AS4, many of us veterans find your arguments distasteful because of your apparent callousness regarding personnel who would have to use those vehicles in a combat situation. You have no understanding of the situation and don't try to make out you do.

Who says that the M1 Abrams is obsolete? There is nothing in the Russian or PLA-GF tank armoury that can match the latest variants of the Abrams, Challenger, or Leopard. Also the new PLA-GF MBTs are better than the Russian ones.

So I suggest that you do some research and learning before you try to better a subject matter expert.

LegionnairE

Who says that the M1 Abrams is obsolete? There is nothing in the Russian or PLA-GF tank armoury that can match the latest variants of the Abrams, Challenger, or Leopard. Also the new PLA-GF MBTs are better than the Russian ones.

So I suggest that you do some research and learning before you try to better a subject matter expert.
Maybe I could have worded some things better. I never meant to imply that M1 is obsolete. But that the tank as it is is near its peak and there isn't going to be much more potential for further upgrades. You could add an L55 gun but after that I doubt there's much more we can squeeze from this platform. "It's fine if you're making an emergency procurement, it's not a good idea if you're planning 40 years ahead." was basically what I said, or tried to say.

Stampede

M113 is literally a metal box with tracks. It's not obsolete until you run out of ways to use it. I remember a bunch of ACV-15s got blown up in Syria by Kornets and Fagots but the same ATGMs would have destroyed the newest and greatest German Puma too. Overall, the losses were low. I don't think it will be the same in a near-peer engagement where the enemy brings their own IFVs and you just get shredded.

Australia doesn't have such assymetric threats so it makes less sense. Because it's so light, Island hopping in the pacific, getting dropped by C47s, sometimes making use of the amphibious capability, maybe it could be useful. But you could probably design a better vehicle for this purpose too. I evaluated my position, I think I was wrong.

M1A2 is obviously judged by a different standard. It's a multimillion dollar MBT that is expected to exchange fire with and dominate anything on the battlefield. I agree with the last part, China's lack of experience will get them assraped but obviously we're not looking for a fair fight are we?

This is exactly what I'm saying. I think many countries looked at the T-14 in 2015 and began working. If you think about it, Rheinmetall 130mm gun was made around that time. Different Intelligence agencies might have different levels of knowledge on what's coming but we can only speculate. And knowing that China spies on everyone my speculation is, that their
Not taking sides, but just looking for some clarity.

Do you see the M113As4 as a niche vehicle for lower end scenarios.
For want of a better description..................A tracked Bushmaster PMV.

Not a substitute for heavy armour ,but rather a lower tier asset for use in appropriate circumstances recognizing it's significant limitations.

Just curious!

Cheers S

LegionnairE

Not taking sides, but just looking for some clarity.

Do you see the M113As4 as a niche vehicle for lower end scenarios.
For want of a better description..................A tracked Bushmaster PMV.

Not a substitute for heavy armour ,but rather a lower tier asset for use in appropriate circumstances recognizing it's significant limitations.

Just curious!

Cheers S
Exactly, You worded it better than me. In any war, there's going to be low risk areas, maybe you're in Ukraine and your MPs are rounding up civilians, maybe you're Turkey, fighting assymetric threats in Iraq and Syria and M113 variants are better than transporting troops with open top unimogs etc. It depends a lot on what threats you're facing.

Or at least that's what I thought. After seeing all the hatred towards this vehicle. I changed my mind. No sense keeping around a piece of equipment soldiers hate so much. Bad for morale.

Clarification: what happened in Syria was that ACV-15s were being driven by poorly trained FSA militia that couldn't be trusted with multi-million dollar equipment anyway. Their lack of coordination and alertness caused situations where Turkish army lost Leopard 2s to the same Kornets and Fagots. When your infantry isn't properly covering the flanks even your best MBTs could become casualities to a bunch of insurgents. I don't blame the equipment for the losses there. Just improper tactics and poor communication between units that speak two different languages.

For those who don't know, I'm talking about the Operation Olive Branch. Al-bab was a different clusterfuck that I won't get into. But maybe that's where my sort of fatalistic attitude comes from. Whether you're sitting in what's considered to be one of the best tanks in the world or you're inside a shitty ACV-15 variant, the same ATGM can kill you. To me human element is what makes a weapon system work or suck. Whether you're aware of the strengths and limitations of your equipment and know where and when and how to use it or not determines the chances for survival the most.

Last edited:

buffy9

Maybe I could have worded some things better. I never meant to imply that M1 is obsolete. But that the tank as it is is near its peak and there isn't going to be much more potential for further upgrades. You could add an L55 gun but after that I doubt there's much more we can squeeze from this platform. "It's fine if you're making an emergency procurement, it's not a good idea if you're planning 40 years ahead." was basically what I said, or tried to say.
I wouldn't necessarily write the Abrams off in the mid-term either. One of the stated reasons for going with the M1A2 SEP v3 (in a DTR Q&A with the current CA iirc) was that we can choose to bring it to the planned SEP v4 in the future, if we so choose. On top of the SEP v3 (which is already good), many of the enhancements intended under SEP v4 are not insignificant and would keep it competitive, at least with tank technology we are likely to face in the region. It is one of the best tanks out there with future enhancements planned, whilst (importantly for a country of Australia's size) there exists a broad series of operators with a decent supply chain.

Getting a capability to last forty years is not something done quickly, and in a constantly changing environment (particularly with the pace of technological change more generally), it is not easy either. But as Redlands noted, there are/were/is funds allocated for future tank evaluation and design next decade, several years after the planned M1A2 fleet achieves FOC.

Exactly, You worded it better than me. In any war, there's going to be low risk areas, maybe you're in Ukraine and your MPs are rounding up civilians, maybe you're Turkey, fighting assymetric threats in Iraq and Syria and M113 variants are better than transporting troops with open top unimogs etc. It depends a lot on what threats you're facing.

Or at least that's what I thought. After seeing all the hatred towards this vehicle. I changed my mind. No sense keeping around a piece of equipment soldiers hate so much. Bad for morale.

Clarification: what happened in Syria was that ACV-15s were being driven by poorly trained FSA militia that couldn't be trusted with multi-million dollar equipment anyway. Their lack of coordination and alertness caused situations where Turkish army lost Leopard 2s to the same Kornets and Fagots. When your infantry isn't properly covering the flanks even your best MBTs could become casualities to a bunch of insurgents. I don't blame the equipment for the losses there. Just improper tactics and poor communication between units that speak two different languages.

For those who don't know, I'm talking about the Operation Olive Branch. Al-bab was a different clusterfuck that I won't get into. But that's where my sort of fatalistic attitude comes from. Whether you're sitting in what's considered to be one of the best tanks in the world or you're inside a shitty ACV-15 variant, the same ATGM can kill you. To me human element is what makes a weapon system work or suck.
I personally don't hate the AS4 - it still fulfills the role of an APC (at least with the applique armour), is tactically very mobile and ultimately still provides the ability to fundamentally move around the BS. That said, it just isn't suitable for most modern scenarios. Basically anything (not just drones and ATGMs) can knock it out, whilst in a peer environment it will be forced to face threats where 30mm AP and heavy artillery are the norm - threats which the Lynx and Redback have been designed to be resilient against as per STANAG 4569 level 6.

The threat government wants/needs/chooses to prepare for isn't irregular for Australia, its a peer competitor. An AS4 (however upgraded) just isn't going to be adequate. I will say I do think there is merit to keeping them in reserve or stored - additional mobility and firepower with comms is going to be better if we do become desperate (I don't see Ukrainians turning away old vehicles, even if they are awful). Of course, that costs money on top of other priorities, and there may not be many scenarios where Australia will be that desperate - and there is Bushmaster, which we still produce and which is more suitable for an irregular/rearguard scenario.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Unfortunately it is pay per view, but worth it.
There is an excellent Doco on YT from the series Megafactories on the re-life process that the M-1 is put through, this was done at the time the Australian M-1A1 AIM Tanks were done, so a lot of the technology being fitted has changed, but it does give you a good idea of the process.
And a couple of the Australian Tanks are featured near the end.
Think I saw the same video several years ago, it was very informative and the actual production site in Ohio is impressive.

Redlands18

Very reasonable and very informitive post, thank you.

I'm just surprised that we're talking about SEP v4 and there's still no mention of an L55 gun. I hope that Australia can at least demand that their tanks be built with the Rheinmetall L55.

I guess my thinking is that, the enemy has little reason to dronestrike a random M113, 40 miles behind enemy lines, he's going to look for more valuable targets. The people at the tip of the spear, if they are doing their job and keeping the pressure on the enemy, they will be in extreme danger and they deserve every little bit of edge they can get.
If you are talking about using them 40ks behind enemy lines, then the Australian Army is better off just using Bushmaster PMVs, they are mine and IED resistant, far cheaper to operate, far easier to train drivers on, can be fitted with HMGs and AGLs on RCWS, can carry Mortar, MANPAD or MANPAT teams in the back, are self-deployable over long distances. We originally built 1046 of them and we have a factory up and running to build more if req. They are battle proven, not a single fatality in Afghanistan despite dozens being damaged. beyond repair.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Very reasonable and very informitive post, thank you.

I'm just surprised that we're talking about SEP v4 and there's still no mention of an L55 gun. I hope that Australia can at least demand that their tanks be built with the Rheinmetall L55.

I guess my thinking is that, the enemy has little reason to dronestrike a random M113, 40 miles behind enemy lines, he's going to look for more valuable targets. The people at the tip of the spear, if they are doing their job and keeping the pressure on the enemy, they will be in extreme danger and they deserve every little bit of edge they can get.
M1A2SEPv4 is a limited upgrade of M1A2SEPv3, designed primarily to address obsolescence and provide a lethality upgrade by adding a newer generation FLIR sensor as well as main gun networking capability allowing the use of new 120mm programmable ammunition.

A new tank will be developed and acquired IMHO beyond M1A2SEPv4. There is no point doing the costly and substantial engineering work to change to the L55 gun in the face of that reality. The new tank can be designed with whichever gun they deem appropriate. The current gun, advanced ammunition natures and modern fire control systems will be more than adequate until then.

LegionnairE

If you are talking about using them 40ks behind enemy lines, then the Australian Army is better off just using Bushmaster PMVs, they are mine and IED resistant, far cheaper to operate, far easier to train drivers on, can be fitted with HMGs and AGLs on RCWS, can carry Mortar, MANPAD or MANPAT teams in the back, are self-deployable over long distances. We originally built 1046 of them and we have a factory up and running to build more if req. They are battle proven, not a single fatality in Afghanistan despite dozens being damaged. beyond repair.
MRAPs do have the advantage when it comes to mine resistance. Which would be very useful for protecting supply convoys in case you fall into an ambush situation. Can't carry a 25mm gun turret like an M113 can but that doesn't matter in this role
M1A2SEPv4 is a limited upgrade of M1A2SEPv3, designed primarily to address obsolescence and provide a lethality upgrade by adding a newer generation FLIR sensor as well as main gun networking capability allowing the use of new 120mm programmable ammunition.

A new tank will be developed and acquired IMHO beyond M1A2SEPv4. There is no point doing the costly and substantial engineering work to change to the L55 gun in the face of that reality. The new tank can be designed with whichever gun they deem appropriate. The current gun, advanced ammunition natures and modern fire control systems will be more than adequate until then.
I can see why it would be too costly for the Americans to replace the guns for their 2500 M1 tanks But I don't understand why it would be so prohibitively costly for Australia's brand new tanks to be built this way. It's the same breech, The switch from Leo 2A5 to A6 was rather straightforward. The only possible problem I can see is updating the FCS to account for the increased velocity but even that should be just about changing a few variables in the code. I guess testing would take some time and money.

Takao

The Bunker Group
This argument, and not just from you, always makes me laugh. I can see it now, "the M26 is already at 42 t, how much heavier can we go?! The M4 is only 30 t!"... or, "the M60 is already at 50 t, how much heavier can we go?! The M26 is only 42 t!"... or, "the M1 is already at 60 t, how much heavier can we go?! The M60 is only 50 t!".

Yup. Tanks get heavier. Everything gets heavier, even us humans, as we age. But that's ok, if two things happen. One, the engines need to keep up. In this case, they have - the M1 has better mechanical performance than the M4 in every way, depending on variants its 2 - 4 times more powerful per tonne. With sufficient engine performance you can ignore a lot. Just compare the Königstiger you mention (the Maus comparison is silly, it's still heavier than two M1A2 SEP v3 combined...), it made 515 kW, the AGT1500 makes 1120 kW. With about eleventy thousand percent more reliability and simplicity.

The second point is the support elements. Yes, a heavier tank needs heavier logistics (including infrastructure). But that's the price you pay for fighting. As with anything, the user scenario defines the need first and foremost. The fact is that modern anti-tank weapons need a certain level of armour. That also means there needs to be a certain level of armament to kill enemy AFV. Which defines the minimum weight. The log elements have to match that. As a loggie, would it be easier to support a M4 unit? Probably not, but lets assume so. It'll be really easy after D-Day when they are all dead because they can't survive. No point in having light 'stuff' because it makes a loggies life easy if they all die in the first two hours when an appropriately armoured platform can survive and fight beyond that. And we have done that... just look at the Diamond T M20 truck (150kW) compared to a MAN TGA we use today (~400kW)

Not going to debate specifics, but no. Even your comment is inherently contradictory - if the amount of damage to destroy an uncrewed turret is the same as a crewed one then the armour must be the same. Which in turn makes the weigh the same. Oh, it may be slightly physically smaller, but in which case you still aren't saving heaps of tonnes. Furthermore, unless you are a particular 'strategic thinker' on Twitter, no one thinks you can easily damage the optics or guns of an M1. You 100% can, artillery is good for it, but you can't just brass up an M1 with a medium machine gun and expect many results (perhaps a pissed off driver because they have to paint the chips later). Even a modern crewed IFV/APC turret is similiarly resilient. Uncrewed ones though? Not quite....

Seeing the comments here about Abrams in the RAA, USA approval to send Abrams to Ukraine, German approval to send Leopards to Ukraine, logistics factors and known MBT orders, I had a question for those who know about armour:

Would it be worthwhile for Australia to send its existing 50 Abrams MBTs to Ukraine (or Poland, see below) to assist in their defense, then bring forward the introduction into Australian service of either new Abrams MBTs or Lynx family AT vehicle mentioned above, in their place?

I am not expert in tanks so apologies if this is unrealistic. I am interested in understanding what is feasible.
You don't need to be an expert in tanks; you just need to understand international law (eww....). Broadly speaking, under ITARS and other arms trading laws, you cannot on-sell weapons without approval of the nation you bought them from. ITARS makes an excellent example; in this case the US State Department (not Defense) has to approve all transfers and sales. It doesn't matter what age, I have some decades old equipment I'm disposing of that I still have to get Dept of State approval (just to shred them). You'll often find that that is the greatest delay. Remember, it's also not just the platform; a German platform (say, Tiger) with an American system (say, ARC-210 radios) would still need State's approval to onsell.

@Redlands18 nails it. For lower threats, the PMV will always be better than the M113AS4. It's mine/IED resistance is orders of magnitude greater, it's armour isn't too dissimilar, its faster, more efficient, better protection for onboard peeps, and it's just plain easier to maintain. If the threat is higher, then you need to start looking at CRV or IFVs. Even in the 90s and 00s, such rear area security operations acknowledged that there would still be a balance between unarmoured/protected assets and armoured assets by using ASLAV where and when required.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have some decades old equipment I'm disposing of that I still have to get Dept of State approval (just to shred them). You'll often find that that is the greatest delay.
I bet I can guess which equipment you are referring to. Boy those blanking plates were expensive.