Australian Army Discussions and Updates

STURM

instead of having the 1st Armoured Regt with 3 Tank Sqns
Would I be correct in assuming that each Squadron comprises 4 Troops [3 tanks each] and a HQ [2 tanks] and that in addition to the 3 Squadrons, the Regiment has a HQ [3 tanks]?

Last edited:

Redlands18

Would I be correct in assuming that each Squadron comprises 4 Troops [3 tanks each] and a HQ [2 tanks] and that in addition to the 3 Squadrons, the Regiment has a HQ [3 tanks]?
Sorry can't help you there but I would doubt that Regt HQ would have Tanks.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm still amazed that the Soviets use to air drop BMDs with their crews inside, rockets fitted below the pallet to cushion the impact.
Blow that for a game of soldiers. I have never seen the necessity for leaping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft in flight. If it's on fire and the wings have fallen off, then I am very happy to undertake a crash course in parachuting. I can always read the instruction manual on the way down.

Stampede

Talking now back in the 70 and 80's I do recall 12 MBT's for a Sqn but was of the understanding this included the Sqn HQ.
Others could advise
Regt HQ not sure.

Thought a troop of three MBT's worked well.
In the dusty and noisy environment of armor It seemed a better number for the troop commander to control than the current arrangement of four.
Same going up to the Sqn level.

Testing the memory, APC lift was also 3 for a troop.
The expectation was you could fit 30 diggers in the back.
Good on paper, but the reality was very uncomfortable over distance.

Different times,expectation and platoon structure.

Also back then we had the old Leo 1 and some 90 gun tanks all in the in one location.
Suggest our current number of 59 MBT's is shy on numbers to really do justice to what we want.
This is made more difficult today by trying to operate in four different location across the country............training and three combat Sqn .
Suggest the future 75 gun tanks should really have being 90 in number going forward.

I did hear that one Leo was lost in a accident.
Leo reversing at speed into a tree.

Tree and tank written off.

Numbers matter!

Regards S

Bob53

I had a pop up for this months Defence Technology Review DTR DEC magazine come up on a feed which I don’t subscribe too. Mentions an update on the status of Land 400 phase 3 and indicates their view of who will win and why. Assume there is some inside running but possibly educated guess. Does anyone subscribe and like to share their view here? Decision coming up apparently and thanks in advance anyone who just suggests I subscribe.

Redlands18

I had a pop up for this months Defence Technology Review DTR DEC magazine come up on a feed which I don’t subscribe too. Mentions an update on the status of Land 400 phase 3 and indicates their view of who will win and why. Assume there is some inside running but possibly educated guess. Does anyone subscribe and like to share their view here? Decision coming up apparently and thanks in advance anyone who just suggests I subscribe.
I subscribe to DTR(only Defence Magazine I do). All the article is about is the possibility of an announcement during the upcoming Federal Election(due by 31/5), they don't mention who they think will win.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I know who the winner is,

It’s the AS21 Redback, sorry, no it’s the KF41 Lynx, hang on, sorry, it’s the Redback, wait wait, or is it the Lynx?

Hang on, I’ll toss the coin again.

And the winner is .........

Redlands18

I know who the winner is,

It’s the AS21 Redback, sorry, no it’s the KF41 Lynx, hang on, sorry, it’s the Redback, wait wait, or is it the Lynx?

Hang on, I’ll toss the coin again.

And the winner is .........
The KAFS-2411 Red Lynx-Back sounds like the winner :D

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The KAFS-2411 Red Lynx-Back sounds like the winner :D
Sounds like John's been on the Fosters again. Either that or he's turned to the dark side and started drinking Swan becoming a westie. :cool:

Actually both look like fine platforms and I think that it will be a close run thing and may come down to the geopolitics. The recently signed security agreement with South Korea may be an important consideration.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Sounds like John's been on the Fosters again. Either that or he's turned to the dark side and started drinking Swan becoming a westie. :cool:

Actually both look like fine platforms and I think that it will be a close run thing and may come down to the geopolitics. The recently signed security agreement with South Korea may be an important consideration.
Fosters? Seriously? No one in Australia drinks that cat piss! (I don’t think it’s even brewed in Oz anymore?).

It’s a joke we play on the rest of the world, just like ‘shrimp on the barbie’ or ‘drop bears’, it’s only Dumb Poms or Dumb Kiwis that fall for it!

On a serious note, assuming there is only a fag paper difference between both contenders, then yes politics will play a big part in the decision.

Jobs in Qld or jobs in Vic?, big political battle ahead.

All things being equal between the two contenders, it will be a political toss of the coin.

Cheers,

Gryphinator

The Redback would be my pick purely based on them being regional. The build location means nothing to me but the small SPG build means a factory with potentially not much to do afterwards. I wonder if we looked at their MBT offerings before the latest M1 buy? Anyway, I wish the time frames were shorter for selecting the winner, clocks ticking...

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Redback has the same engine, gearbox and digital architecture system (SOTAS) same RWS, secondary guns and anti-armour system as Boxer CRV, so many commonalities in training, support etc.

Lynx also uses SOTAS and the same armament / combat systems as Boxer CRV, but has significantly different engine / gearbox etc, so support will be more of an issue.

On this basis I am leaning slightly towards Redback, but either will be a great improvement…

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Redback has the same engine, gearbox and digital architecture system (SOTAS) same RWS, secondary guns and anti-armour system as Boxer CRV, so many commonalities in training, support etc.

Lynx also uses SOTAS and the same armament / combat systems as Boxer CRV, but has significantly different engine / gearbox etc, so support will be more of an issue.

On this basis I am leaning slightly towards Redback, but either will be a great improvement…
Oh and I don’t think the South Korean PM turned up in person to a contract signature for only 30 guns either, but I’ll leave the politics out at this point…

I’m a big fan of the Redback, the more I read about it the more I like it. Either will be a quantum leap in capability TBH. I tend to agree with ADMk2 I think there is a lot of enthusiasm in Canberra to do more with South Korea, as such it may be a political decision in the end. Either way I think the army will enjoy the massive boost in capability. My two cents anyway, just hanging for the announcement now.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Fosters? Seriously? No one in Australia drinks that cat piss! (I don’t think it’s even brewed in Oz anymore?).

It’s a joke we play on the rest of the world, just like ‘shrimp on the barbie’ or ‘drop bears’, it’s only Dumb Poms or Dumb Kiwis that fall for it!

On a serious note, assuming there is only a fag paper difference between both contenders, then yes politics will play a big part in the decision.

Jobs in Qld or jobs in Vic?, big political battle ahead.

All things being equal between the two contenders, it will be a political toss of the coin.

Cheers,
exactly what I was thinking, it will come down to which state is seen as more critical to retaining government. At least this time both options appear acceptable in capability terms.

STURM

It was widely available on tap in London bars during the 1990's.

Last edited:

Wombat000

My understanding that Fosters in UK is actually re-branded Crown Lager.
Out of a twisted sense of nostalgia, I got a pint, and was very pleasantly shocked.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It was widely available on tap on London bars during the 1990's.
2000's and 2010's too, but it was never Australian brewed. Brewed in blighty to a formula they hoped would appeal to locals and be adopted as a (bogus) taste of Australia by them and international tourist.

Horrible stuff. Transoceanic taste...neither from here nor there but tasting of fish piss

oldsig

swerve

Super Moderator
Brewed at the Courage brewery on the southern edge of Reading. A huge keg brewery, built just as the wave of keg beer was subsiding & traditional beer was reviving. Opened in 1980. Left the brewery able to brew far more beer than it could sell & with too much of that capacity in an inflexible brewery that needed high production to cover its costs. Damn near broke the company IIRC, until they started brewing Fosters there. I never saw the appeal of Fosters myself, but obviously some people did, perhaps influenced by massive advertising spending. Paul Hogan was paid a lot for appearing in some of the ads. The brewery closed in 2010. The Simonds brewery it replaced had been operating for over 100 years.