Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Gryphinator

I lasted 3 months as a reservist after 8yrs ARA. There was no incentive to work Tuesday night and weekends in my profession (nursing) as the pay was awful in comparison to civilian rates.

I'd re-enlist now (I'm more civic minded as opposed to money driven these days) but the time they want just for basic training is too much IMO...

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think an attendance bonus for 30 nights, 8 weekends and a two week exercise might be a good move. ( just plucked the numbers, what is it, every Tuesday night, 1 weekend a month and a 2 week annual ex?) Think that's about the equivalent of 40 days training.
For rural areas, instead of being part of a battalion, spread out over hundreds of KM, perhaps an independent rifle company might have some merit, with support troops with civvies quals like mechanics etc?

Stampede

I think an attendance bonus for 30 nights, 8 weekends and a two week exercise might be a good move. ( just plucked the numbers, what is it, every Tuesday night, 1 weekend a month and a 2 week annual ex?) Think that's about the equivalent of 40 days training.
For rural areas, instead of being part of a battalion, spread out over hundreds of KM, perhaps an independent rifle company might have some merit, with support troops with civvies quals like mechanics etc?
Joined the Reserves in 82 and in 83 we got a new government.
All well and good, but for the Reserves which had been enlarged over the previous years only to now be neglected.
Funding went out the door.
Didn't fire a black round for two years and like many got tired of yelling bang on exercises.
The days of wearing greens, where most bits of kit were just old and clapped out did not help.
Remember a Company parade with just 10 privates, that a year ago was close to full strength.
What a waste!

I believe in the Reserves but don't have an answer as to their size and composition.

What I would say is what ever you do, do it right.
Have an objective which is clear and funded and consistent for the years going forward.
The national workforce is changing with a more casualised and flexible work place.
Covid and our working adaptions to lock-downs will have a continued affect on how both businesses and employees go about their respective worlds.
These are both challenges and opportunities.
Part time defence employment should reflect this.

Suggest some positive opportunities for the Reserves when we figure out what we want from them.

Regards S

vonnoobie

Totally agree shouldn't be any napkin plan. Needs a detailed very in depth look at future funding on our current outlook (Changed a lot in last 5 years let alone the last decade). Reserves if properly funded and personnel properly rewarded has a huge potential to greatly expand the ADF should we go to a wartime footing but the personnel need to be fairly compensated and equipped with the gear they need, not what is just scrounged up.

Ideally the next white paper if we get one sooner rather then later will take a greater look at the opportunities that the reserves could provide and how to get them.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Rheinmetall are busy spruiking a new Lynx variant apparently designed/ developed in their centre of excellence in Ipswich.

It's called Lynx CSV and is basically a cut down ute version with crane, dozer blade, and the gamut of combat engineer/EME equipment including an USV in the tray.

Natty "Berlin" digital camouflage paint job too.

Seen while channel surfing past Channel 7 Breakfast crap, but....

oldsig

Massive

What I would say is what ever you do, do it right.
Have an objective which is clear and funded and consistent for the years going forward.
It really is not clear to me what the role of the Army Reserve is.

Clarity on this (or at least the problem they are there to solve) would be a very positive first step.

Regards,

Massive

earthyman

It really is not clear to me what the role of the Army Reserve is.

Clarity on this (or at least the problem they are there to solve) would be a very positive first step.

Regards,

Massive
Also unlike alot of land powers Australia would have a significant time window before a threat became imminent.

vonnoobie

Also unlike alot of land powers Australia would have a significant time window before a threat became imminent.
Depends on what you define as significant and what you intend to do with that time. If its activating existing reserve forces etc then yes our geographical isolation would allow time for that, If its expanding the Army and reserves from current numbers to who knows how much then not so much. Not just training but also equiping them with more then a rifle, You need small arms, munitions, artillery, armoured and unarmoured vehicles, etc etc. Some of that might be easy to acquire if needed in short order but other things will take time, A lot more time then I think you imagine.

If or when we go into a war requiring the full ADF to be called up we will be going in with what we have active and reserve, If it goes on long enough to start training and equipping new forces then we are looking at a multi year war.

earthyman

A nice article describing the new army shooting course. And I don't think any standard infantry army trains out to 600 meters, one of the advantages of the bullpup format perhaps. The Swiss with the SIG550 Sniper ( 650 mm (25.6 in) long barrel ) with a fixed 4x scope have their designated marksman course train out to 600 meters. One of the advantages of selling the F90 version of the EF88 overseas is that if it's a little popular the U.S will come out with aftermarket parts for it, such as an improved trigger and such.

Last edited:

Gryphinator

A nice article describing the new army shooting course. And I don't think any standard infantry army trains out to 600 meters, one of the advantages of the bullpup format perhaps. The Swiss with the SIG550 Sniper ( 650 mm (25.6 in) long barrel ) with a fixed 4x scope have their designated marksman course train out to 600 meters. One of the advantages of selling the F90 version of the EF88 overseas is that if it's a little popular the U.S will come out with aftermarket parts for it, such as an improved trigger and such.
I was a terrible shot and range shoots always filled me with dread, more from a lack of practice (non combat corps) This however, with realistic targets, firing positions and IA's sounds very good and certainly not dull!

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was a terrible shot and range shoots always filled me with dread, more from a lack of practice (non combat corps).
Haha. A dead eye dick I wasn't either. I can't throw for crap and if I had to throw hand grenades that would have filled me with absolute dread. They scare the crap out of me because of that. Mind you I did love playing around with thunderflashes.

At lakes

If you place a thunderflash in the toilet external overflow vent normally vented to outside. Light it and it will take off like a sky rocket and explode in the cistern and anyone sitting on the loo at the time will have a hell'va fright. I too use to like playing with thunderflashes.

vonnoobie

One of the advantages of selling the F90 version of the EF88 overseas is that if it's a little popular the U.S will come out with aftermarket parts for it, such as an improved trigger and such.
If your talking the Atrax then from memory Thales nixed that back in 2019 so besides the AUG they already have on market there won't be the Australian one so not as much as you think in aftermarket upgrades for it except for parts compatible with the original gun.

earthyman

If your talking the Atrax then from memory Thales nixed that back in 2019 so besides the AUG they already have on market there won't be the Australian one so not as much as you think in aftermarket upgrades for it except for parts compatible with the original gun.
Yeah I know Thales stopped civilian sales plan of the F90 on "ethical grounds" around a month after the christchurch shooting, not sure if related. But rifle designs tend to stagnate unless there is user demand for improved parts and such, which in our case could potentially come from the U.S civilian market. If you type in "alien convenant weapons" in youtube there is an example of a F90 with aftermarket rail that had to be 3d printed because Lithgow hadn't made one yet, maybe they never will.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
The detail of the alien covenant stuff is in a Adam Savage chat with the armorer, who was Australian.

There really wasn't a market for them in the US. It was very niche. There was some hope I think that security or police or tactical response might pick them up. But the market is very familiar with other weapon types and there wasn't a lot of interest around it. Even in the bullpup category there are plenty to choose from and the regular AUG is already sold there with a bigger market (although still tiny). However, the gun received positive reviews and compared well. Its likely any US sold weapons would be manufactured in the US anyway, under license.

Thales is still developing the weapon. At the request of the Australian government. After market civilian mods aren't usually back incorporated into military rifles, they are generally pretty different markets, particularly these days. With modern rail systems, you can bolt most things up and configure it the way you want.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
"5th Aviation Regiment AW139 Leonardo helicopter conducted flying operations in the North Queensland region on 02 September 2021. These aircraft are leased from Helicorp (trading as Toll Helicopters) and are flown by Army aircrew. The Leonardo AW139 helicopter will support the wider ADF by providing general aviation support including moving personnel and cargo in support of major exercises, training ADF units in helicopter operations and other non-combat tasks." Image source : ADF Image Library
20210903army8655637_0063.jpg

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Now, that is interesting! A small fleet of 139s for essentially rear area logistics would not be a terrible idea.

Redlands18

Now, that is interesting! A small fleet of 139s for essentially rear area logistics would not be a terrible idea.
The Army lost that when the Tigers replaced the Kiowa's and Huey's. It's easy to underestimate the importance of Utility equipment like the Kiowa, G-Wagon, LCM-8, non Armoured Trucks to a Peace Time ADF, they may not be deployable but they are still vitally important to the preparation of deployable forces.

Takao

The Bunker Group
The Army lost that when the Tigers replaced the Kiowa's and Huey's. It's easy to underestimate the importance of Utility equipment like the Kiowa, G-Wagon, LCM-8, non Armoured Trucks to a Peace Time ADF, they may not be deployable but they are still vitally important to the preparation of deployable forces.
The reason the UH-1H's went to Aceh was because the Black Hawk was too big and kicked up too much garbage. There is a gap in the small C2 / light utility role that AAvn used to be able to do. It may be that the airframe for the SO light helicopter can do the job.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If they were to go with the AW139M variant at any stage, that would be deployable.