Australian Army Discussions and Updates

FormerDirtDart

With the army going to a more mech/motorised role, I can see the MRH 90,s being used in resup, SF, Arty mobility role more than an infantry taxi. ...
I believe the Australian's M777 howitzers weight exceed the MRH-90s total useful load (fuel + cargo). And, I would think with the Army going to a more mech/motorized role significantly more resupply/logistical support will need to be achieved by ground vehicles.

Redlands18

The other capability the Army has lost is the Lt utility usefullness of the Kiowa, so 5 Avn Regt would have to take up some of the everyday jobs that 1 Avn Regt once did.

Ballistic

Regarding the question of whether there are 'enough' helicopters to go around, the answer is heavily dependent on the helicopter itself. If the Taipan's serviceability rate is still hovering around 50%, instead of the required 65% serviceability rate, then the answer is muddled further, since the service outputs themselves need to be specified.

If the requirement is to be able to lift a certain number of troops nn operationally and/or during exercises, then the answer might be, "yes" because the Taipan can lift nearly twice as many troops per helicopter as the Black Hawk. OTOH if the focus is more on meeting certain levels of cargo lift or in fact anything where the number of helicopters available has to be higher, then the answer might be, "no."

Take for example a possible domestic Army response for CT/special operations support. If there is a requirement for a single bird to be available for rapid response, and that Army personnel train for the CT response (whether they are Commando, SASR, TAG or TAG-East, etc.) using the helicopters, then a serviceability rate of 48% could easily require a total of 4 Taipans to be required to meet the requirements for operational availability, training, and maintenance when in the past three Black Hawks would have been sufficient.

There is also the question of operational costs, which if not successfully addressed to significantly reduce those costs, could lead to the Taipan being prohibitively expensive to operate in numbers.
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. In a standard transport role, sure, the NH-90 TTH can carry about 20 personnel. However, that is not in a battlefield/combat configuration. With 20, it has no onboard self defence (no door gunners). In a battlefield lift role, with soldiers in full kit, and 2 door guns, the NH-90 is no better than the UH-60. In fact, the ANAO report found that the initial seating offered was too narrow for most soldiers, and with new wider crash rated seating the total number of seats will drop to about 14. I'm not even sure if that includes seating for aircrew/gunners as well. So for paying a premium, Australia is getting exactly the same kind of capability (in fact, less than) than a comparable UH-60. We got screwed.

Last edited:

Massive

We got 39 Blackhawks to replace the Hueys in the late 80s, then 40 MRH-90s to replace the Blackhawks so despite getting the LHDs there has been no increase in the Battlefield Utility Helo fleet. So why are People surprised that the LHDs are not consistantly full of Choppers. For Australia to do that we would have to raise a new Aviation Regt with an increase in Helo numbers, not cheap and currently not planned for.
On the structure of 16 Aviation Brigade has there been any discussion of moving to three equally structured regiments for force generation purposes (as per Beersheba?)

Imagine there are lots of pros and cons but was just wondering if the discussion had been had.

Regards,

Massive

Massive

With the army going to a more mech/motorised role, I can see the MRH 90,s being used in resup, SF, Arty mobility role more than an infantry taxi.
In this scenario is there a case for moving away from MRH-90 to additional Chinook?

While bigger they seem better suited and it is pretty rare to hear complaints about operating costs or availability.

Regards,

Massive

Ballistic

On the structure of 16 Aviation Brigade has there been any discussion of moving to three equally structured regiments for force generation purposes (as per Beersheba?)

Imagine there are lots of pros and cons but was just wondering if the discussion had been had.

Regards,

Massive
See Australian Army Journal vol. 8, no. 2, Winter, 2011, pg. 101 - "Army Aviation 2030" - https://www.army.gov.au/sites/g/files/net1846/f/aaj_2011_2.pdf

Beyond writing about it in a journal, who knows.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. In a standard transport role, sure, the NH-90 TTH can carry about 20 personnel. However, that is not in a battlefield/combat configuration. With 20, it has no onboard self defence (no door gunners). In a battlefield lift role, with soldiers in full kit, and 2 door guns, the NH-90 is no better than the UH-60. In fact, the ANAO report found that the initial seating offered was too narrow for most soldiers, and with new wider crash rated seating the total number of seats will drop to about 14. I'm not even sure if that includes seating for aircrew/gunners as well. So for paying a premium, Australia is getting exactly the same kind of capability (in fact, less than) than a comparable UH-60. We got screwed.
The MRH won’t carry as many soldiers as initially advertised, it it still carries more than a Blackhawk, which only carry 10 soldiers.

Last edited:

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Regards,

Massive
There was never an option of moving to three identical Regiments, as 16 Avn will always be bespoke because of its role, but there was an option for 1 and 5 Avn to have the same orbat. It was rejected as it would only exacerbate the servicibility problem.

What will almost certainly happen is for 1 and 5 Avn to be collocated, although where that occurs is a political decision. If I was a betting man I would say a new base would be built on Mount Stuart training area in Townsville, around the corner from Lavarack. A green field site will cost a lot of money though.

Takao

The Bunker Group
There was never an option of moving to three identical Regiments, as 16 Avn will always be bespoke because of its role, but there was an option for 1 and 5 Avn to have the same orbat. It was rejected as it would only exacerbate the servicibility problem.
But tanks, an equally complex platform, we can scatter all over Australia!

Oh Army, you so funny!

Takao

The Bunker Group
With the army going to a more mech/motorised role, I can see the MRH 90,s being used in resup, SF, Arty mobility role more than an infantry taxi.
I disagree to some extent - I think that the threats forcing us towards a mechanised force will render the MRH increasingly irrelevant. Unable to take the battle damage that a UH-60 an, a large lumbering aircraft and one that cannot really lift anything sufficient or significant - I'm not sure that it works in high-end warfare. It can't lift a M777 (themselves obsolete), the ground forces draw upon tonnes of materiel now, and the GBAD capabilities of any threats significantly outweigh ours or our ability to conduct SEAD.

For lower tempo stuff, sure. Loverly HA/DR aircraft.

Redlands18

I disagree to some extent - I think that the threats forcing us towards a mechanised force will render the MRH increasingly irrelevant. Unable to take the battle damage that a UH-60 an, a large lumbering aircraft and one that cannot really lift anything sufficient or significant - I'm not sure that it works in high-end warfare. It can't lift a M777 (themselves obsolete), the ground forces draw upon tonnes of materiel now, and the GBAD capabilities of any threats significantly outweigh ours or our ability to conduct SEAD.

For lower tempo stuff, sure. Loverly HA/DR aircraft.
How is the M777 obsolete? especially when they are the only Arty we have. They are lightweight and Chinooks can lift them into places no SPH Tracked or Wheeled can go. There is also a significant improvement in GBAD commimg for the Army, first with the NASAMS(being developed) and a longer range system later next decade.

Takao

The Bunker Group
How is the M777 obsolete? especially when they are the only Arty we have. They are lightweight and Chinooks can lift them into places no SPH Tracked or Wheeled can go. There is also a significant improvement in GBAD commimg for the Army, first with the NASAMS(being developed) and a longer range system later next decade.
Firstly, they are FOB guns that we try and tow around the field and hence damage. An SPH (especially with the greater range) Bty can target more things than a towed Bty. The gun does not have to go where the tanks and IFV do, they just have to hit near them.

Second, they are towed. So they lose a counter-battery fight within minutes. And they are slow. And require more support (up front, the gun tractors).

Third, their rate of fire cannot lay down any significant weight, especially with four gun batteries. Even a four gun SPH battery can put down more fire than a six gun M777 battery.

Fourth, they require too much manning (so when get hit by counter-battery fire we take a lot of casualties)

Fifth, lightweight is a glossy brochure term. They are airmobile in the same way an M1 is - just. 1x Chinook can lift one gun - no decent ammo or crew. So to put a battery somewhere requires eight Chinooks - how many are we taking?

Sixth, a towed 155mm gun is not needed in the optimal artillery mix, a 155mm SPH is.

Saying it is not obsolete because its the only artillery we have is poor logic.

The reality is, for a force with tanks, IFVs, CRVs and ARH, SPH (preferably 120 mm mortar and 155 howitzer) is essential. Towed guns are obsolete. Even if we accept the fetish of refighting the Kokoda track as the reality of what we will do in the future, a SPH mix is better than a towed M777.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Fifth, lightweight is a glossy brochure term. They are airmobile in the same way an M1 is - just. 1x Chinook can lift one gun - no decent ammo or crew. So to put a battery somewhere requires eight Chinooks - how many are we taking?
Okay, I have to ask what you consider to be a decent stock of 155 mm ammunition? Since a CH-47F Chinook has a useful slung load of ~7,250 kg in a hot/high environment, and up to ~11,700 kg in more favourable flight conditions, at a minimum that should still leave about 3,000 kg for munitions, crew, supplies, etc. Under more favourable flying conditions, there should be ~7,500 kg available to bring in munitions, supplies, etc.

As a side note, it looks as though the onboard 155 mm ammunition load of an M109A6 self-propelled howitzer is 39 rounds, each weighing ~43.2 kg. So it would appear that a Chinook transporting an M777 should be able to deliver it with a munitions load comparable to what a SPG would carry.

Now, I do think there is (or at least could be) a place for SPG's in the RAA OrBat, as well as MRLS, but at the same time, given where and how Australia has fought conflicts since Korea, a place still remains for towed artillery, especially if it can be lifted by helicopter. As for a 120 mm self-propelled mortar system, I would be more inclined to have those organized as fire support (direct and indirect) sections attached to Land 400 Phase 2 & 3 equipped units provided that the mortar system is something like AMOS and fitted to hulls based on Land 400 vehicles.

Redlands18

Firstly, they are FOB guns that we try and tow around the field and hence damage. An SPH (especially with the greater range) Bty can target more things than a towed Bty. The gun does not have to go where the tanks and IFV do, they just have to hit near them.

Second, they are towed. So they lose a counter-battery fight within minutes. And they are slow. And require more support (up front, the gun tractors).

Third, their rate of fire cannot lay down any significant weight, especially with four gun batteries. Even a four gun SPH battery can put down more fire than a six gun M777 battery.

Fourth, they require too much manning (so when get hit by counter-battery fire we take a lot of casualties)

Sixth, a towed 155mm gun is not needed in the optimal artillery mix, a 155mm SPH is.

Saying it is not obsolete because its the only artillery we have is poor logic.

The reality is, for a force with tanks, IFVs, CRVs and ARH, SPH (preferably 120 mm mortar and 155 howitzer) is essential. Towed guns are obsolete. Even if we accept the fetish of refighting the Kokoda track as the reality of what we will do in the future, a SPH mix is better than a towed M777.
Thats all good but at this time we are not getting SPH and there is currently no plan to get SPH. The problem with SPH is they are Tracked Vehicles unless you go to the Gun on a Truck which still req the Crew to get out of the Truck and set up the Gun before firing. While Tracked SPH are great on the Battlefield itself it still req Low loader Trucks to get them there and like all Tracked Vehicles they req a lot more maintenance than Trucks do. They can't shoot 300ks so useless to you if you don't have enough Low Loaders to carry them.
Towed Arty are not obsolete because they are much easier to deploy over any real distance, how do you avoid Counter Battery Fire, take theirs out first by providing better ISR & Comms, get the first shot in. That is what the ADF is working towards, history has consistanly shown the side that shoots first wins most battles.
We will have to wait for the next DWP to see if we get some form of SP Arty, A 120mm mortar on some of the Land 400 IFVs maybe to supplement the M777 but not replace them
The only ADF Aircraft you can put a SPG on is the C-17, you can put M-777s on C-130s and C-27s.
The great strength of Towed Arty v SP Arty is deployablity. The great weaknes of all Tracked Vehicles is that deploying them away from home is a bitch.
I don't disagree that Armoured Units should have SP Arty, just your suggestion that Towed Arty is Obsolete.

Last edited:

Stampede

Regarding the question of whether there are 'enough' helicopters to go around, the answer is heavily dependent on the helicopter itself. If the Taipan's serviceability rate is still hovering around 50%, instead of the required 65% serviceability rate, then the answer is muddled further, since the service outputs themselves need to be specified.

If the requirement is to be able to lift a certain number of troops nn operationally and/or during exercises, then the answer might be, "yes" because the Taipan can lift nearly twice as many troops per helicopter as the Black Hawk. OTOH if the focus is more on meeting certain levels of cargo lift or in fact anything where the number of helicopters available has to be higher, then the answer might be, "no."

Take for example a possible domestic Army response for CT/special operations support. If there is a requirement for a single bird to be available for rapid response, and that Army personnel train for the CT response (whether they are Commando, SASR, TAG or TAG-East, etc.) using the helicopters, then a serviceability rate of 48% could easily require a total of 4 Taipans to be required to meet the requirements for operational availability, training, and maintenance when in the past three Black Hawks would have been sufficient.

There is also the question of operational costs, which if not successfully addressed to significantly reduce those costs, could lead to the Taipan being prohibitively expensive to operate in numbers.

All fair questions.
Maybe the obvious is to get the availability rate up.
The challenge is how to do it.
Accepting we will not do a Seasprite and will persevere with the NH90 ; I guess we have to hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel with this helicopter and see it through. May understanding is things are Slowly moving in the right direction even though they are not at the pace most would have liked.
At the end of the day it was a new helicopter and it must not be forgotten that many platforms that in later years have had great acclaim had in there infancy some gremlins. If I recall the black hawk in it's infancy had its detractors.

Any way we hope for the best and I for one hope it eventually gets to the stage where it performs as advertised and with running costs we can accept.

Regards S

Redlands18

It also looks like the Australian Army has rejected SPHs in favour of MRLs with a range of up to 300km far, far outside the range of any Counter Battery Fire. Why group your Guns together anyway? Why not disperse them over an area of 50sq Km? with todays Comms it would be realitivley easy to organize a Fire mission.

Boagrius

I would have thought that could create some logistical headaches (resupply etc) but I'm far from qualified to say. It does sound like posessing some sort of SPH would be ideal but alas, reality is what it is.

toryu

Thats all good but at this time we are not getting SPH and there is currently no plan to get SPH. The problem with SPH is they are Tracked Vehicles unless you go to the Gun on a Truck which still req the Crew to get out of the Truck and set up the Gun before firing. While Tracked SPH are great on the Battlefield itself it still req Low loader Trucks to get them there and like all Tracked Vehicles they req a lot more maintenance than Trucks do.
I'm sure many of you have seen this already but there is of course a newer concept kicking about that might give you the best of both worlds. Boxer based 155mm SPH:

Nicholas Drummond on Twitter

Apparently fires without needing extra stabilisation. If the concept is developed through to end it might just be the thing to change the army's mind on SPH.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
But tanks, an equally complex platform, we can scatter all over Australia!

Oh Army, you so funny!
Tanks are no where near as complex as helos, at neither an individual platform nor capability management standpoint. The fact that tanks take up about 2% of the sustainment budget, while helicopters take up about a third, for a similar number of platforms, make that pretty clear. The challenges facing tank sustainability are very different to those facing MRH/ARH sustainability.

Putting 1 Avn, 5 Avn and 16 Bde HQ on the same piece of real estate makes a lot of sense.