Australian Army Discussions and Updates

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not at the moment but hopefully when you guys increase the capbilty of the JATF.

when ADF transition's from Tiger to ?? Wonder if NZ could join the program to hit the ground running for the next installment of capabilty increase, think it might be an easier sell than resurrecting the ACF
Not to derail the thread but the NZG are looking at air interdiction another way through the FASC. Like I said before not in our CONOPS.

t68

Not to derail the thread but the NZG are looking at air interdiction another way through the FASC. Like I said before not in our CONOPS.
Not at this time, but they wil evolve over time. By the mid 2020 NZ will need to refocus on new operating CONOPS which will define the future combat weight of the JATF post 2035

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not at this time, but they wil evolve over time. By the mid 2020 NZ will need to refocus on new operating CONOPS which will define the future combat weight of the JATF post 2035
I think they'll be looking at other options by the time force remodelling kicks in...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Could you elaborate? Even if speculative?
they have a need to work out how they will project and persist their force for maritime patrol and protection

so that means consideration for BAMs light, whether BAMs light means armed capability for the UAS rather than just buddy ISR

BAMs has to be considered as NZ has a huge area of MP responsibility, so can she afford to raise train sustain a comprehensive but expensive relative to threat manned capability where a BAMS companion system would reduce some of the RTS issues on through life fleet support (fleet in the military sense where it refers to any platform maintained in volume)

ditto for maritime rotary, at some point consideration for every capable navy has to be on future skimmer design requirements, "how big does the fantail get?" as manned and unmanned rotary again will also be a necessary combination to consider. its a capability issue, there is a tipping point where manned rotary air starts to lose efficiency due to a number of factors, rotary or even small rail launched UAS can start crossing over as a handover as it has greater persistence, no crew exhaustion and some projection and time on station efficiency issues as no manning factor, bums in the seat can be replaced by equipment.

etc etc... their future force will be very different in 20-30 years out of necessity and the technology around UAS, miniaturisation, companion tech and by association purple force developments

MARKMILES77

I think you are under-estimating what it takes to disable an engine!

Anyway, its perfectly normal for the engine to have no protection, especially is vehicles with protection designed by Plasan. For instance, the 15-tonne M-ATVs used in Afghan have no protection for the engine, the only thing protected is the crew cab - the chassis is completely exposed. Since the Hawkei isn't a fighting vehicle, it's simply designed to provide the crew with some protection, having an un-armoured engine is no big deal. Otherwise you would get mission creep and the Hawkei would end up being a Bushmaster.

I wouldn't worry too much about the comment in the Army rag - those Troopers are just used to a Bushie.
Talked to some Thales People at Avalon.
They are working on a design for a Hawkei engine bay armour kit, in response to a Government request.

Boagrius

...and in news that will surprise precisely nobody around these parts:

Australian Helicopter Needs Discussed at Avalon Show

Australia’s search for a new armed reconnaissance helicopter to replace the Army’s troubled Airbus Helicopters Tiger fleet was a major topic at the Avalon Airshow, held near Melbourne from February 28 to March 5...

The country’s 2016 Defence White Paper stated that the 22 Tigers should be replaced starting around 2025. Boeing brought a factory-fresh AH-64E Apache to the show, while Bell Helicopters had an AH-1Z Viper cockpit simulator at its stand in the exhibition hall. The Apache conducted demonstration flights throughout the week, and Boeing emphasized that AH-64 production will run until 2026 based on current orders. Bell disclosed that it had made an unsolicited offer of the AH-1Z as a Tiger replacement.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My personal opinion, but I think the AH-64 would not be politically "palatable" for lack of a better word. I have a feeling that the AH-1Z/UH-1Y combination would be the preffered option.

Call it simplistic, but the AH-1Z looks a fair bit like the Tigers in a few ways to the general public, easier to pass off and justify ?

My two cents anyway

Cheers

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My personal opinion, but I think the AH-64 would not be politically "palatable" for lack of a better word. I have a feeling that the AH-1Z/UH-1Y combination would be the preffered option.

Call it simplistic, but the AH-1Z looks a fair bit like the Tigers in a few ways to the general public, easier to pass off and justify ?

My two cents anyway

Cheers
prev govt did like the word "gunship" - hence why it was an ARH. A similar perception might bedevil the competitors from the govt perception view

Boagrius

My two cents anyway

Cheers
prev govt did like the word "gunship" - hence why it was an ARH. A similar perception might bedevil the competitors from the govt perception view
Yikes... With the way our strategic outlook is changing now you'd think we can hardly afford to get hung up on how mean and nasty something looks or sounds(!). Not disputing that it is an issue, just seems insane to me...

Surely there's a positive marketing spin you could put on the Army having "the best combat helicopters on the planet" or some such? (Assuming AH64E was preferred).

Boagrius

That's something I would expect from Canadian not Australian pollies.:)
Haha. It's the kind of thing I could see creeping in during the 90's (peace dividend... whatever) but now? Grow up 'straya!

I very much doubt the PLA/N/AF are concerning themselves with how nasty or scary their procurement decisions sound... :roll:

vonnoobie

A possibility that we may get an Abrams line built down under.

Army's plans for more and better tanks | afr.com

Colonel Anthony Duus say's it is a preferred option as after performing the work on the tank's said line could be used to sustain the tanks fully at home rather then needing to be sent to the US.

He also put's the optimal fleet of M1's at 90 for 3 squadrons to account for training, spares, maintenance and active use.

I'm liking this Colonel, Fingers crossed the pollies do to and listen to him. On topic of doing the work in Oz while the costs would be greater (hell of a lot greater) would the long term benefits outway the costs? And would it be prudent to set up a company similar to the ASC to perform such heavy vehicle work (ie: Single prime location to build the M1, APC's, IFV et etc)

Redlands18

A possibility that we may get an Abrams line built down under.

Army's plans for more and better tanks | afr.com

I'm liking this Colonel, Fingers crossed the pollies do to and listen to him. On topic of doing the work in Oz while the costs would be greater (hell of a lot greater) would the long term benefits outway the costs? And would it be prudent to set up a company similar to the ASC to perform such heavy vehicle work (ie: Single prime location to build the M1, APC's, IFV et etc)
You are looking at a fleet of about 750 heavy AFVs, throw in Recov Vech and it does start looking plausable.

hairyman

wonder if they have given any thought at all to joining the German French consortium which is working on a tank to replace the Leopard and le Clerc. It is to be slightly lighter than the older tanks. I think we should look at it and not just blindly go American for the sake of it. Its not that long agosince the Leopard was our tank.