Airbus A380

armage

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
This is the beast of the skies, wow!!!

No American passenger carrier has signed up:D
Does any American carrier even use Airbus....
China just signed a contract for $3 billion for the A380

highsea

armage said:
Does any American carrier even use Airbus....
Sure, lots of US airlines operate Airbus jets. United, Northwest, US Airways, Jet Blue, American, America West, Frontier, and some of the smaller regional players. Also Air Canada, and all of the major air freight companies (Fedex, UPS). Jet Blue is the only one I know of that operates an all-airbus fleet, most use a mix of Boeing and Airbus, along with some smaller AC, Bombadier, Embraer, etc.

I have flown on Airbuses operated by American and United many times.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Why am I getting the feeling that Boeing is losing its mojo? Obviously they are losing more and more grounds to Airbus. But if you ask me, I still feel safer with a proven 747 than flying in the new A380. As you can see I'm not very comfortable with new equipments or transportaion methods.

P.A.F

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well the A380 is yet to prove itself. many say that its going to endup like the titanic:(. hope not though. that thing should be safe to fly in. you just can't get wrong with a plane which is 80 meters from wing tip to wing tip;)

armage

Yeah, your telling me!
The A380 would be a big sitting duck if terrorist get any shoulder-launch AAW missiles and shoot at it....
If a country wants can they get caffs and flares as a protection system on the A380?

adsH

Pathfinder-X said:
Why am I getting the feeling that Boeing is losing its mojo? Obviously they are losing more and more grounds to Airbus. But if you ask me, I still feel safer with a proven 747 than flying in the new A380. As you can see I'm not very comfortable with new equipments or transportaion methods.
the thing is that Path all major AC manufacturers Share information regarding Incidents that may or may have turned into Disaster. So what ever was learned from the Boeing mistakes end up being fixed on the Airbus, at the least I think thats how we Worked in the Past (uk), Boeing has a lot Of British Engineering too.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Just an info;

DC-10 has the highst of Crash/Disaster rates. McDonald Douglos used to make DC-10 which were once regarded as one of the best civilian ACs of the world, but it kept on crashing after every 2,3 yrs. Than it one day went back to drawing boards to c what the problem was. When the found one of the problem, BOEING compared to its jet too & some thing similar was found. Although boeing jets were not crashing (as much) they still fixed it. Some probs were also compared by AirBus n they fixed them too. Both BOEING & AIRBUS stood firm but DC-10 & McDonald Douglous went down even though many of the glitchs were fixed.
Today no big aviation firm uses DC-10. Very few small companies do & Pakistan's AIRO-ASIA does, though its 2nd hand DC-10 has not crashed yet, & hopefuly wont.

highsea

The DC-10 did have problems in the mid-late 70's, and they were all eventually sorted out, but the plane did get a bad rep over it. There are still about 180 of the jets in airline service, and they are still popular with freighters. The USAF also bought 60 of them as AAR tankers (KC-10A).

When Boeing took over MD, they introduced the MD-11, based on the DC-10. The two were built side by side for three years, until 1989, when Boeing finally cancelled the DC-10. Boeing continued to build MD-11's until 2001.

Also, they did a bunch of conversions for Fedex on DC-10's, upgrading them to the MD-10 version, which added the glass cockpit from the MD-11. I've flown on DC-10's many times, and always liked them. I think they never really recovered from the early accidents, so their popularity suffered, but I always found them to be safe, confortable, and reliable jets.

There were something like 386 civil versions built total, so about half are still in service. Fedex ordered 90 of the MD-10 conversions alone.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
So can we hold DC-10 responsible for bringing the end to McDonald Daglous???? or is it just one of the factors or has nothing to do with it??????

baadal

SABRE said:
U cant buy A-380 to travel to UAE, its only 45 mins or an hour at max flight from Karachi (or any where from Pakistan) to UAE. This is for longer journies. UAE is definitly going to buy this so no point for PIA to even make a transit stop there & pick more ppl from there. This AC is pnly good if PIA takes longer roots like from Karachi to Londo to NewYork back to london & back to Karachi. Or fly during Hujj season from Karachi to different ME & Muslim countries & take them to KSA, than its going to be huge profit. But PIA already has made commitment to Boeing for a long term & long run purchase. If boeing comes up with some thing similar than we'll c if PIA is willing or un willing to purchase such aircrafts.

A-380 is beauty though. I'll fly it when it comes out in the next microsoft flight simuliator ;)
I don't know about Pakistan but I feel India should definitely buy a few to travel across the country. It is stupid to spend hell lot on first/second class train fare and endup travelling for a day or two. A 800 passenger (economy) version would be great, even if 'one door' is going to take up a couple of hours for boarding. This would help rationalize train fares..., all for good. ;)

P.A.F

you'll find that the A380 isn't quite going to be used for domestic purposes. it's most likely to be used for international travel.

guys i've just heard that the new gwader airport would have a special facility built to facilitate the a380:)

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
P.A.F said:
you'll find that the A380 isn't quite going to be used for domestic purposes. it's most likely to be used for international travel.

guys i've just heard that the new gwader airport would have a special facility built to facilitate the a380:)
Gwadar !!! they r planning boarding systems for A-380 at karachi & lahore. They r Civil Aviation is planning to build boarding gateway on top of the Airport so it could board pessenger on the 2nd floor of the A-380. Offcourse now if thats happening in khi & lhr than Gwadr will be already equiped with such tech.

Run is also going to be extended for new Boeing jet, which is world's longest jet.

P.A.F

http://www.dawn.com/2005/04/26/int12.htm

Biggest plane set for maiden flight

TOULOUSE, April 25: The new Airbus A380, the largest commercial airliner ever built, is expected to make its long-awaited first test flight on Wednesday at the production facility in Toulouse, France, the company said on Monday.

The A380, a twin-deck behemoth capable of carrying up to 800 people, is due to be flown by two veteran French test pilots, Claude Lelaie and Jacques Rosay, the company said.

More than 50,000 people are expected to witness the maiden flight, which will be broadcast live.

“The first flight will take place Wednesday, if weather permits and excluding a last-minute technical glitch,†a spokeswoman said.

The new aircraft, which makes extensive use of electronic flight systems and composite materials, is set to be the first serious challenger to the 747 jumbo jet produced by Boeing of the United States.

The European consortium’s first fully operational A380 has been undergoing ground tests since early April.

Airbus said the plane that is due to fly on Wednesday will have Rolls-Royce engines. Clients are able to choose between Rolls-Royce and power units made by the US consortium Engine Alliance, which brings together General Electric and Pratt and Whitney.

The first plane to fly will have no passenger seats, but will instead be packed with electronic equipment to test all aspects of the plane’s performance, Airbus said.

Thanks to an intensive testing process involving several aircraft, the consortium is hoping to achieve flight certification for the new craft within a year, allowing the first commercial flights to take place in 2006.

The key hurdles will be certification by the US Federal Aviation Authority and its European Union equivalent, the European Air Safety Agency.

Singapore Airlines is due to take delivery of the first planes to come into service.

The first production aircraft, which is the one that will be flying on Wednesday, was shown to the press on January 18 at the main Toulouse plant, in southwestern France.

Airbus Industrie is 80 percent owned by the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) and 20 percent by BAE Systems of Britain.

The maiden flight has been postponed several times. Airbus had initially wanted it to take place at the end of March or early April, then in early April it said it would happen in the second half of the month.—AFP

2morrow is the moment of truth:D

P.A.F

this would be an event to watch and remember. anyone knows if its on TV.

P.A.F

did anyone see the flight. all i can say is well and truely great aircraft!!!!!:rolleyes: