A26 - super sub?

Rich

This has all been looked at before hasnt it? Didnt the Russians have some capability here? At one time? And also may I ask how will a submarine even know an aircraft is up there?, without giving away its own position? And if it meant acquiring a brand spanking new submarine what navy in the world wouldn't gladly sacrifice one helicopter? Or even an airplane? The USN has gobs of both. The benefit/risk ration just isnt there for the sub, not when diving to 600 meters under thermals will protect the boat far better.

EnigmaNZ

When I read of this several years ago, I seem to recall it mentioning the ability to act against small craft in the literals without having to expend a torpedo. Firing supercavitating 30mm rounds, like the US navy is developing to take out shallow mines from helios, would be sufficient to give a midget sub a bad day as well. Midgets sneaking into your waters do seem to be a problem in the baltics. The other use is a submarine caught in the litterals by a asw assett, going deeper is not an option. And I suppose coming up alongside a foreign trawler in your waters and threatening to torpedo it is a might overkill. Could be handy for scaring whaling ships from out of sight lol.