A New Blueprint in the Persian Gulf

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Since US editorials have become so partisan it is difficult to find good analysis these days, independent forums and blogs are slowly becoming the last place for thoughtful discussion regarding strategies unfolding, and even they break down into political bias before discussions get momentum.

The election of 2006 in the United States has made a decisive impact on war strategy and war related events. It is not unique, major elections and other political events within the democracy of the United States has shaped virtually every war including the Revolutionary War. In fact, only 1 war in US history has avoided public political descent from politicians during the actual fighting phase of the war. Ironically, that war happened in the vast majority of the worlds populations lifetime, in 1991 in the Gulf War.

Since that 2006 election, several major events that will undoubtedly mark new chapters in future history books have occurred regarding the United States military operations and wars in the Middle East and Africa. While these events have been reported in the news, and analyzed through the prism of partisanship driving all discussions about the war in the media and politics, little actual analysis has taken place to date. Perhaps it is time, as events are now happening that paint what is coming, and shape potential events in the future. These insights into the near future allow some leverage by independent observers like us, and is what I consider the foundation of interesting discussion.

With Rumsfeld being the first casualty of the 2006 elections in the United States, Robert M. Gates became the next Secretary of State. When this was announced, little was made of what he was doing just prior to his appointment. On November 10th, 2006 Gates stepped down as a member of the Iraqi Study Group. With the Iraq Study Group releasing its full report by December 6th, 2006, only three and a half weeks after Gates resigned from the group, Gates must of contributed a great deal to this report.

It is interesting the report has been met both from a political perspective and a military perspective with resistance. What hasn't been discussed though is what the Gates appointment may mean for changes to the military action in the region, particularly given his contributions to the Iraqi Study Group, and further by evaluating the people he is recommending for positions of various worldwide commands.

Examples. The following are among various Diplomatic Concerns expressed by the Iraqi Study Group Report:

1. Support the unity and territorial integrity of Iraq
  2. Stop destabilizing interventions and actions by Iraq's neighbors.
  3. Secure Iraq's borders, including the use of joint patrols with neighboring countries.
  4. Prevent the expansion of the instability and conflict beyond Iraq's borders.
  5. Promote economic assistance, commerce, trade, political support, and, if possible, military assistance for the Iraqi government from non-neighboring Muslim nations.
  6. Energize countries to support national political reconciliation in Iraq.
  7. Validate Iraq's legitimacy by resuming diplomatic relations, where appropriate, and reestablishing embassies in Baghdad.
  8. Assist Iraq in establishing active working embassies in key capitals in the region (for example, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia).
  9. Help Iraq reach a mutually acceptable agreement on Kirkuk.
  10. Assist the Iraqi government in achieving certain security, political, and economic milestones, including better performance on issues such as national reconciliation, equitable distribution of oil revenues, and the dismantling of militias.
It is my opinion you cannot read those recommendation and believe the Iraq Study Group diplomatic concerns were focused on anyone but Iran and Saudi Arabia.

However, Gates represented military interests more than diplomatic interests as apart of the Iraq Study Group, so narrowing in on the military strategies and alternatives within the report, this part which matches the strategy he has unfolded is worth discussion:

Sustained increases in U.S. troop levels would not solve the fundamental cause of violence in Iraq, which is the absence of national reconciliation. A senior American general told us that adding U.S. troops might temporarily help limit violence in a highly localized area. However, past experience indicates that the violence would simply rekindle as soon as U.S. forces are moved to another area. As another American general told us, if the Iraqi government does not make political progress, “all the troops in the world will not provide security.” Meanwhile, America’s military capacity is stretched thin: we do not have the troops or equipment to make a substantial, sustained increase in our troop presence. Increased deployments to Iraq would also necessarily hamper our ability to provide adequate resources for our efforts in Afghanistan or respond to crises around the world.
Because this is stated in the Iraq Study Group report, and because Gates was apart of that Study Group, it can be assumed he contributed in some measure to the conclusions behind this statement. Despite this, he has implimented several phases of a military plan that increases the number of troops, apparently in a strategy to "help limit violence in a highly localized area" which probably includes Baghdad,

Of the intentions leaked regarding the new plan for Iraq, going after the military support structure logistically suppling the Sunni insurgency and the Shia militia's appears to be top priority. What is interesting is how it is apparently widely believed that the source of support for the Shia is Iran, but additionally the support for the Sunni is said to be Iran. Obviously, to make the second part of that sentence believable proof will have to be provided.

Gates follows this plan by naming new commanders in the theater. The two appointments of Gen. David H. Petraeus as Commanding General of military forces in Iraq, and Admiral William J. Fallon as CENTCOM commander are very telling These choices are interesting, as they give a lot of insight regarding the tactical, strategic, and diplomatic changes coming with the new plan.

General Petraeus is one of the most respected US Generals, by the Iraqi Army. In 2004, Petraeus was assigned to build the Iraqi Army, he basically raised the Iraqi Army himself. While the quality of the Army resulted in criticism of Petraeus by some in late 2005, it should be noted he took an Army with numbers of less than 1000 and turned it into a force of over 150,000 in less than a year. His quantity over quality initiative may not of been popular a year later, it is hard to say he wasn't successful in getting the process started even if he didn't serve long enough to meet the instant expectations placed upon his mission.

Over the last two years, Petraeus has literally wrote the book on US counterinsurgency operations, also known as Field Manual 3-24. He was also responsible for oversight of the Command and General Staff College and seventeen other schools, centers, and training programs. Over the last 2 years, Petraeus has undoubtedly participated in numerous war games specific to his new mission, including the intangibles posed by regional influences.

I believe the appointment of General Petraeus is specifically to turn the security situation within Iraq over to the Iraqi's, and the surge that is designed to temporarily reduce violence in concentrated areas is specifically designed to establish a peace before letting Iraqi's decide the fate of that peace. I believe the targets are specific, Saudi Arabian and Iranian influences in Iraq, and keeping those influences out and disrupted.

Admiral William J. Fallon, Fox Fallon as he is nicknamed, is equally an interesting choice with equally interesting background. He is the man who basically forced the US Military, as commander Pacific forces, to cooperate with China via Navy exchanges and exercises. He is the man, who with his staff, established the constant 3 month air force fighter, bomber, and logistics rotations in the Pacific that keeps state of the art capabilities on the front lines constantly nagging at North Korea, and has been the face of ballistic missile defense in the field for the Navy.

When Fallon was first appointed, there was widespread speculation that his appointment was directly in response to the shift in focus to Iran that is looming with the IAEA deadlines due to come about late this month. The speculation was not lost on the Senate Armed Services Committee, and the question was posed to Fallon for his appointment hearings.

Bold is Senate, Italics is Fallon's response.

Iran continues to develop short and medium range ballistic missiles and could develop ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States in the relatively near term. The intelligence community assesses that Iran could test such a missile later this decade and will "likely" pose an ICBM threat to the United States by 2015. Iran also has a significant naval presence in the Persian Gulf, and shorebased anti-ship cruise missiles. The intelligence community also assesses that Iran is actively pursuing weapons of mass destruction, and could have nuclear weapons within the decade.​

How do you evaluate Iran’s current capability to use ballistic missiles and WMD against US forces, allies and friends, and what is your projection of Iran's future capabilities?​

Iran can employ ballistic missiles up to 1300 km with little/no advance warning and with greater accuracy and effectiveness than Iraq demonstrated in 1991 and 2003. Iran has expanded ballistic missile forces and capabilities, but remains dependent on foreign technical support. Tehran can employ CW via missile, artillery and aerial weapons, although it is unclear if a standing CW stockpile exists. Iran is unlikely to produce enough fissile material for a nuclear weapon until mid-next decade.​

How do you evaluate Iran's cruise missile capabilities, and Iran's ability to threaten US naval forces and commercial shipping in the Persian Gulf, the Straits of Hormuz, and the Arabian Sea?​

Iran can threaten undefended commercial shipping and create a tactically challenging environment for naval forces in constrained waters of the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf region. However, Iran also has operational and tactical weaknesses that can be effectively exploited by US forces.​

If confirmed, how would you protect the troops and allies under your command from these threats?​

After consulting with select nations in the CENTCOM AOR and confirming their support, I would use a combination of US and Coalition Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) and Early Warning (EW) capabilities to protect both US and Coalition critical military and geopolitical assets.​
It is telling the first units deployed as apart of the surge include the Stennis CSG, with its additional AEGIS BMD destroyers, a Patriot 3 missile battalion, numerous USAF and USMC ECM and AEW squadrons, extra logistical support throughout the region from Africa to former Soviet states, and most interestingly several lesser armed naval assets including SOF MSC ships and extra frigates.

What is often missed about Fallon is he served as Deputy Director for Operations, Joint Task Force, Southwest Asia in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. He saw first hand the political effect Patriot missile defense batteries had on Israel, despite their lack tactical capability. He saw first hand the political capabilities of virtually all the regional Gulf powers, and he was apart of the planning operations that influenced the decision making process in that region.

I believe his intention in "consulting with select nations" is basically part of the larger strategy unfolding. Fallon is a widely respected naval officer with a record in leadership of combat operations and command, well established in credentials in that regard for the new position in CENTCOM. What I find unique about Fox Fallon though is he is also a very wise political mind. There are few places that rival the complexity of politics in Northeast Asia, but the Middle East would qualify as one of those places. I believe the Fallon appointment is to reestablish the US shrewd diplomacy in the Middle East the US was once capable of, but has been degraded to conditions approaching critical. I believe the most attracting aspect of Fallon's style is his rare combination of political capacity and military boldness. It is a historical fact that Muslims respect power, and understand its advantages and weaknesses as a cultural trait. I believe Fallon, as both aggressive yet tempered, is intended to reposition the United States position in the Middle East, and I believe he has more leverage, including military leverage, than most people assume. In many ways, the blueprint he represents appears already in motion.

Hamas and Fatah rivalry has deteriorated the Palestinian issue in the region, with the Iranian supported Hamas being confronted militarily by the Saudi supported Fatah. In Lebanon, Iranian supported Hezbollah is facing off against Saudi supported Christians and Sunnis in clashes that have been mixed with violence. On the economic side, Saudi Arabia is being accused by Iran of pumping 3 million barrels of oil per day more than they say they are, and the price of oil drops. This apparently started after a Saudi diplomatic visit to India and China. 3 million is an interesting number, because Iran only exports 1.7 million barrels of oil per day, so in effect Saudi Arabia is over producing almost twice the amount Iran can export in total.

In my opinion over the last month Saudi Arabia has engaged aggressively against Iran, but Saudi Arabia's involvement in Iraq is still very much a question. By the Senates own questions, the US government appears to see Iran as not only a military threat in Iraq, but additionally as a threat to the region with ballistic missiles and WMD, that needs to be dealt with delicately. The diplomacy taking place quietly between the US and the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia appears to have been engaged, and there appears to be measurable action taking place.

But where is this going? Is Fallon there to start a war, build a case for the UN Security Council with political support from regional partners, or simply manage the currents as events unfold in Iraq, IE stay the course? Is the US looking to 'win' or 'get out' of Iraq, or some measure of both? Clearly the changes taking place in the ranks reflect a changing strategy, and aspects of that strategy can be presumed based on the men being assigned regional positions.

The question is; with what can be presumed what is the goal, and what actions is the US looking to take next month when Iranian rhetoric hits the press daily in defiance of the UN, as Russia stands firm, as Europe engages in anti-Americanism to distract from UN failures regarding Iran, and support for the war continues to decline in the US without spectacular events that change the entire discussion; where is this going and how can this new strategy, or any new strategy be effective for the United States and its coalition allies?

merocaine

Interesting post, but you let your self down with blanket statements like

It is a historical fact that Muslims respect power, and understand its advantages and weaknesses as a cultural trait
really? what history do you read? lets sub the word Muslim with Chistian and it starts to sound like some baddy terrorist out of 24.

as Europe engages in anti-Americanism to distract from UN failures regarding Iran
Europes a big place, what european countries are engaging in anti americanism? as far as I can see the European 3 have made a lot of effort to reconcile with the american position, with that traditional bastion of anti americanism France being the most hawkish an Iran, and supportive of the american position in the Lebannon. Britian has'ent ruled out a military option, and Germany has spent the last year building bridges with the Bush administration.

In Lebanon, Iranian supported Hezbollah is facing off against Saudi supported Christians and Sunnis in clashes that have been mixed with violence
This is so simplistic as to be misleading. It is Sunni and Chistian, against Shia and Chistian, in the Lebannon, with most Chistians supporting the main Shia parties. To say that Hezzbullah is Iranian backed is to down play the independent role it has. It is not a over sea's battalion of the Revolutionary Guard.

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
really? what history do you read? lets sub the word Muslim with Chistian and it starts to sound like some baddy terrorist out of 24.
I think my wording is indeed poor though, because I was intending to be specific to governments and instead used wording that characterized a population of people. I don't watch 24 so I think I may have missed the point of your analogy though.

Europes a big place, what european countries are engaging in anti americanism?
There is a considerable amount of anti-Americanism in Europe today. The topic is subject of many editorials throughout Europe and North America, and it is consistently agreed upon by all sides of the editorial that anti-Americanism in Europe is on the rise, specifically in Germany and Italy, and traditionally in France. It would be accurate to say there is a growing momentum in the United States regarding distrust of the European Union as a governmental body and specific European countries as well. I would also point out that anti-French rhetoric in the United States is getting louder as well, and is too often reflected in unfortunate comments casually tossed around discussion forums. My French collogues and I have seen both sides of this and discussed it at length, to imply some sort of non-existence or argue what I am saying is to live under a blanket, because if you monitor the media with any regularity what I am saying is fairly obvious.

This is so simplistic as to be misleading. It is Sunni and Chistian, against Shia and Chistian, in the Lebannon, with most Chistians supporting the main Shia parties. To say that Hezzbullah is Iranian backed is to down play the independent role it has. It is not a over sea's battalion of the Revolutionary Guard.
I tend to agree I simplified the situation a great deal. However the two largest financial sources behind the conflicts flaring up within Lebanon is Iran and Saudi Arabia, unless you are saying virtually all the intelligence sources including Janes, Stratfor, and a large majority of independent minded journalists in the region are all wrong about this assessment, and can provide some sort of evidence these organizations are inaccurate.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I can't say I know what is going on in France, but otherwise I think anti-Americanism in Europe is vastly exaggerated, and also noting that it is a favourite aversion and topic by UK and US conservatives ("You can't trust those continentals").

I have also seen some polls on the perception of the US being badly misinterpreted.

But then again, if I was an American living or travelling in Europe I would probably have the most realistic assessment of this.

Rich

France being the most hawkish an Iran, and supportive of the american position in the Lebannon. Britian has'ent ruled out a military option, and Germany has spent the last year building bridges with the Bush administration.
Chirac recently all but accepted the eventual reality of a nuclear Iran. What were his exact words? Something about how a nuclear Iran "would not be very dangerous". Oh yeah, here we go http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/02/01/chirac.reversal.ap/index.html

Of course the simple fact is the more countries who build nuclear weapons the bigger the chances they will be used. Most of all a country like Iran where the decision to launch rests with very few men, and those only answerable to themselves. No matter how you look at it France has not been hawkish on Iran in the least.

Its hard to rebuild bridges once they are torn down.

merocaine

Chirac recently all but accepted the eventual reality of a nuclear Iran. What were his exact words? Something about how a nuclear Iran "would not be very dangerous". Oh yeah, here we go
Chirac, who is his 70's, also appeared distracted and confused during the question and answers session frequently losing the thread of the conversation. I read his comments and they were completely out of whack with recent french policy, I'm not sure how much to read in to them.

Rich

Chirac, who is his 70's, also appeared distracted and confused during the question and answers session frequently losing the thread of the conversation.
Well thats comforting, considering he's the president of your country. Thats twice you've referred to the hawkish policies of France towards Iran and their nuclear program. And it was twice you failed to list any supporting evidence.

The U.N. sanctions of Iran?? Read them sometime for a really good laugh. Basically they say Iran cant import stuff to make nuclear bombs with, which is doubly laughable because much of the equipment they have already imported they have done so outside the constraints of the world community and the INTL Atomic Energy Agency. Other the stuff to make nukes with Iran can import/export anything it wants.

Its true France did support a US led move to a UN chapter 7 resolution ordering Iran to halt its nuke program. But since it was obvious from the start both China and Russia would veto the thing, as they did, its hard to gauge just how far France would go towards stopping this nuke program. It was really a safe, and empty, gesture cause the thing never had a chance of passing in the first place. And even if it did it would have been nothing but more hot air from the U.N. . France has significant economic ties with Iran, and imports a lot of oil from them.

We should be working on getting rid of these weapons not finding reasons to allow more Dictatorships into The Club.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is interesting to when polls are done in public here in germany it totally depends on how the question is questioned.

If you asked what people here think about actual US policy and behaviour you get a bunch of negative comments.

But when you ask what people here think about the average american and what the US did for us in the past and if we should stay close allies most of the answers are positive.

I think this is the problem. Look at how the people and governments of europe behaved right after 9/11 and how this changed with Iraq.

rrrtx

@Galrahn

Man that is one long post covering quite a bit of ground.

In the shorter term, I think the way that the new Democratic majority in the US Congress behaves will have a large bearing on how things play out. Democrats are under pressure to do something different in Iraq. Part of their success in the last election was due to dissatisfaction with the current Iraq situation. In all probablility they will find some way to oppose the "surge" in US troops. There is pressure from the far left of the party to withdraw as quickly as possible. The party will need to produce something in the way of a real alternative to the current approach to satisfy everyone's expectations. But new ideas have not been forthcoming thus far. "We must train the Iraqis faster!." "The Iraqis must take responsibility for their own secutiry." "We must set up a timetable for withdrawal." This is the stuff you hear but there isn't much in the way of substantive policy changes so far. Point is they have to do SOMETHING different, maybe even substantively different, but nobody (including them I think) knows what that will be.

In the long term the looming 2008 presidential election will begin to have it's effect on the policy debate. Some candidates will attempt to use the war issue as a means to get noticed, possible by proposing a real change in our approach. The person who seems to have the best plan may very well be the one who wins in '08.

Overall I can't emphasize enough how the implications of the local US political scene will drive policy. Policy will not necessarily be made on the basis of what makes strategic sense for the US, what is right/wrong morally, or whether it's in our economic interest. It may have more to do with what US politicians need to say to satisfy the electorate and the media that shapes their opinions.

Rich

I think a lot of this "anti" crap is a creation of the media and politicians to use as a blame deflection tool and to control the masses. Between peoples it has no place and we Yanks would probably go out of our way to help any European that visited here. Have I ever experienced any anti-Americanism in my travels?? Of course I have, and I have seen just as much ignorance on our shores as well.

Remember that scary entity called the Soviet Union? I do too, and I remember how we stood together against it. I dont think all that good will has dried up but no-one should think we are going to put our national defense decisions up to International committee.

You see how the United Nations protects peoples and countries.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Interesting timing of the leak of this internal paper. It not only steps up pressure on Iran, but also covers the back of the EU govts who can now shrug their shoulders in case anything goes down.

Too late to halt Iran’s nuclear bomb, EU is told

By Daniel Dombey and Fidelius Schmid in Brussels

Published: February 12 2007 22:18 | Last updated: February 12 2007 22:18

Iran will be able to develop enough weapons-grade material for a nuclear bomb and there is little that can be done to prevent it, an internal European Union document has concluded.

In an admission of the international community’s failure to hold back Iran’s nuclear ambitions, the document – compiled by the staff of Javier Solana, EU foreign policy chief – says the atomic programme has been delayed only by technical limitations rather than diplomatic pressure. “Attempts to engage the Iranian administration in a negotiating process have not so far succeeded,” it states.

The downbeat conclusions of the “reflection paper” – seen by the Financial Times – are certain to be seized on by advocates of military action, who fear that Iran will be able to produce enough fissile material for a bomb over the next two to three years. Tehran insists its purposes are purely peaceful.

“At some stage we must expect that Iran will acquire the capacity to enrich uranium on the scale required for a weapons programme,” says the paper, dated February 7 and circulated to the EU’s 27 national governments ahead of a foreign ministers meeting yesterday.

“In practice . . . the Iranians have pursued their programme at their own pace, the limiting factor being technical difficulties rather than resolutions by the UN or the International Atomic Energy Agency.

“The problems with Iran will not be resolved through economic sanctions alone.”

The admission is a blow to hopes that a deal with Iran can be reached and comes at a sensitive time, when tensions between the US and Tehran are rising. Its implication that sanctions will prove ineffective will also be unwelcome to EU diplomats. Only yesterday the bloc agreed on how to apply United Nations sanctions on Tehran, overcoming a dispute between Britain and Spain over Gibraltar.

Iran has set up several hundred centrifuges to enrich uranium, a process that can yield both nuclear fuel and weapons-grade material. But analysts say that Iran is behind schedule on plans to install 3,000 centrifuges to produce enriched uranium on a larger scale.

Last year Ernst Uhrlau, the head of German intelligence, said Tehran would not be able to produce enough material for a nuclear bomb before 2010 and would only be able to make it into a weapon by about 2015.

The EU document is embarrassing for advocates of negotiations with Iran, since last year it was Mr Solana and his staff who spearheaded talks with Tehran on behalf of both the EU and the permanent members of the UN Security Council.

The paper adds that Tehran’s rejection of the offer put forward by Mr Solana “makes it difficult to believe that, at least in the short run, [Iran] would be ready to establish the conditions for the resumption of negotiations”.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/ae2d5d24-badd-11db-bbf3-0000779e2340.html

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting timing of the leak of this internal paper. It not only steps up pressure on Iran, but also covers the back of the EU govts who can now shrug their shoulders in case anything goes down.
A few things still bother me about this Iran situation. First, I still don't believe the US is going to strike Iran, I think the US has a different plan of action that overt military action. I see all the paranoia talk of overt 'strikes' as a media distraction from a larger covert military and political goal to isolate Iran, and I think those efforts continue to fly under the radar.

On the flip side, I think Iran is very close to producing a nuclear weapon if they haven't already, although I don't think they are anywhere near a military based delivery system.

I have a hard time believing the United States can build a nuclear bomb from absolutely nothing in 5 years in the early 1940s and Iran can't do it with incredible knowledge as a starting point in the 21st century. I think it is insulting to the average human beings intelligent to describe Iranians as so stupid they can't put together a bomb in this century faster than the US could do it in the middle of last century with 1930s technology.

Most intelligence services rank the Iranian special military as one of the most capable sources of conventional bomb making in the world. I understand there is a difference between conventional and nuclear weapons, but I fail to see how a military apparatus that can be so technically superior on one side of the spectrum can also be so technically inferior on the other.

When Japan is said to be able to build series of bombs in less than 6 months, Brazil is said to be able to build a bomb in less than a year, and India was able to build one with less information that Iran has today in less than 5 years, why is it an obviously educated Iranian people are thought to be so inept to need at least a full decade to build a bomb despite a wealth of information and technology that has found its way to them, through both legal (IAEA) and illegal (Pakistan) means. Tehran University has been teaching nuclear engineering for over a decade (coming up on 2 decades), and yet somehow well funded Iranian scientists are oblivious to how nuclear technology can be weaponized?

No wonder the Iranian government is said to dislike westerns, our media describes them as the stupidest scientific people on planet earth every time we predict they can't make a nuclear bomb until sometime next decade.

Grand Danois

Entertainer
I happen to generally agree on your previously presented analysis; and also don't think overt military action will happen. I am noting that the leak does send a serious signal of dissatisfaction with the Iranian stance. It also cover the eventuality of strikes. All in all adding pressure in a critical period.

On your second topic, which was not why I posted the article, btw: Building a bomb is also a question of priority, infrastructure and resources - especially the weaponising is demanding. Something that may not have been available until recently. Thus, it is not only a matter of having qualified scientific and engineering people.

The raw materials for nuclear bombmaking also have specific requirements. AFAIK Iran have not had the opportunity to get such in quantity since the 1980's when the Chinese stopped supplying it. Another limiter and "technical difficulty". The centrifuges are part of their solution to this problem.

Whatever the German intelligence says, and whoever Financial Times choose to qoute, I would hasard it is not being based on the assumption that Iranians are stupid.

For perspective:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/news/20030701/

Last edited:
A few things still bother me about this Iran situation. First, I still don't believe the US is going to strike Iran, I think the US has a different plan of action that overt military action. I see all the paranoia talk of overt 'strikes' as a media distraction from a larger covert military and political goal to isolate Iran, and I think those efforts continue to fly under the radar.

On the flip side, I think Iran is very close to producing a nuclear weapon if they haven't already, although I don't think they are anywhere near a military based delivery system.

I have a hard time believing the United States can build a nuclear bomb from absolutely nothing in 5 years in the early 1940s and Iran can't do it with incredible knowledge as a starting point in the 21st century. I think it is insulting to the average human beings intelligent to describe Iranians as so stupid they can't put together a bomb in this century faster than the US could do it in the middle of last century with 1930s technology.

Most intelligence services rank the Iranian special military as one of the most capable sources of conventional bomb making in the world. I understand there is a difference between conventional and nuclear weapons, but I fail to see how a military apparatus that can be so technically superior on one side of the spectrum can also be so technically inferior on the other.

When Japan is said to be able to build series of bombs in less than 6 months, Brazil is said to be able to build a bomb in less than a year, and India was able to build one with less information that Iran has today in less than 5 years, why is it an obviously educated Iranian people are thought to be so inept to need at least a full decade to build a bomb despite a wealth of information and technology that has found its way to them, through both legal (IAEA) and illegal (Pakistan) means. Tehran University has been teaching nuclear engineering for over a decade (coming up on 2 decades), and yet somehow well funded Iranian scientists are oblivious to how nuclear technology can be weaponized?

No wonder the Iranian government is said to dislike westerns, our media describes them as the stupidest scientific people on planet earth every time we predict they can't make a nuclear bomb until sometime next decade.
I do agree with most of what you wrote. I don't think military strikes can stop the Iranian from getting the bomb anymore. Btw, how are you coping with all that snow in upstate NY?

Ozzy Blizzard

Agreed. only massive military intervention is going to stop the Iranian nuke programe in its tracks. They have to be made to want to stop through isolation and diplomatic pressure including the threat of military action. Thats the only acceptable course of action.

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would also point out that anti-French rhetoric in the United States is getting louder as well, and is too often reflected in unfortunate comments casually tossed around discussion forums. My French collogues and I have seen both sides of this and discussed it at length, to imply some sort of non-existence or argue what I am saying is to live under a blanket, because if you monitor the media with any regularity what I am saying is fairly obvious.
Gal, what I can tell you is that French don't hate nor despise the americans more then the brits or anybody else.
Being French myself.
It all depends on the situation and the context.
Americans are not loved all around the world because they abuse of their position, most of the time.

What is interresting is that the US are loosing (on the long term) their grip on the world. Only americans can't see it. Or refuse it, which is a very natural reaction.
Now, alternatives are either China (which, by seeing how they treat their own population just makes wonder what they do to foreigners if they can), or Europa, but this one fails to unit incessantly.

Rich

Gal, what I can tell you is that French don't hate nor despise the americans more then the brits or anybody else.
Being French myself.
It all depends on the situation and the context.
Americans are not loved all around the world because they abuse of their position, most of the time.

What is interresting is that the US are loosing (on the long term) their grip on the world. Only americans can't see it. Or refuse it, which is a very natural reaction.
Now, alternatives are either China (which, by seeing how they treat their own population just makes wonder what they do to foreigners if they can), or Europa, but this one fails to unit incessantly.
And what "position" is that? And on behalf of all 270 million Americans I want to thank you for telling us what we can "see" and not see.

shimmy

Out of Iraq

I respect all those who have expressed opinions but I feel that one thing is clear:The US will get out of Iraq and Iraq will be in chaos for many years.I can not see a US presents in Iraq after 2008. I feel the American people just want out and that is it.