A-10 The ground pounders friend

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Your impression is shared by many in the Army. In the late 80's the USAF was looking at retiring the A10. The Army wanted them to replace the OV-1 who's mission was still relevant but without replacement airframes every time an OV-1 was written off there was nothing to replace it with. The USAF diddn't like the idea of giving a bomb dropping capable aircraft to the dirty Army boys so they made the transfer and training painful enough to disuade the Army. I have many anecdotes about the AF and it's quirky policies, the AF looks out for the AF and they definately don't give the impression that they are there to support anything outside of their own agenda.
Lore has it that the USAF fought tooth and nail from getting the A-10/A-X program at all, and only were persuaded when it was suggested that if the Air Force didn't want those aircraft, then the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_West_Agreement"]Key West Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] and Pace-Finletter MOU would be revised allowing the Army to have fixed-wing tactical aircraft for CAS missions. So while they ended up getting them, the USAF has never wanted the things.

I also wonder how much the merger of TAC and SAC have played into this, as well.

STURM

On the subject of Soviet operations in Korea there is this book - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-MiG-15-Aces-Korean-Aircraft/dp/1846032997"]Soviet MiG-15 Aces of the Korean War (Aircraft of the Aces): Leonid Krylov, Yuriy Tepsurkaev: 9781846032998: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5191SgK20HL.@@AMEPARAM@@5191SgK20HL[/ame]

Haven't read it but Opsrey usually does a very good job with every subject it covers and often contains info that is hard to source elsewhere.

Donald J Conti

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A-10

I think the point of this is not getting through. We are not winning wars with high cost high tech weapon systems. Nobody has addressed the Trillions wasted on these varied weapon systems. And we have lost these wars. If the A-10 were so obsolete than why have the Russians developed the SU-39. Fairly new. Put in service in 1995. It is actually better than the A-10. Easy to fly, easy to maintain and will run on regular diesel fuel. I thought our pentagon was supposed to defend us from all enemies. Russia and China are the ones pulling the strings of there puppet nations. We face weapons from those nations not Iraqi, Afghanistan or Iran. Yes a -B-1 can stay on station all day. At what cost. So too can any fighter flying. But they need constant tanker support. The New KC-46 is over $200 mil a copy, an F-22 is $300 mil a copy and the missiles I quoted are $70,000 for a Hellfire and $150,000 to $260,000 for a AGM-65 Maverick depending on model. That's not chicken feed. Unless you live on Long Island or in a nice area of LA or Frisco you can buy a decent home for that. The only ones making out are the manufactures of all these systems. Are we safer because of them No. And while we throw good money after bad on most of these systems our nation degrades. Our astronauts go up on a 40 year old Vostock Russian Rockets at $100 million per astronaut because we can not afford our own any more. One does not have to re invent the wheel to get the job done. The Vostock put up Sputnik in the 50s. That put Washington into a tail spin. And the Vostock was there original ICBM. Not bad for an obsolete system really designed by German Rocket Scientist nearly 70 years ago. Why do we still have tanks? Just because the army wants them? Other nations I see are still buying new tanks. Israel, German and Britain have received recent orders. Is it just prestige or do they think they may need them in the future. Grandsons are now flying B-52s and KC-135s. Do you see any airline flying 50 year old plane? Buffalo Airways does but that's an exception. Many A-10s have been rewinged and have newer systems. To scrap them now is another waste of money we do not have. How much does the new F-35 really cost per. Does anybody really know. With development cost thrown in well over $330 mil apiece. Does one need supersonic speed and fancy missiles to kill a tank, a Scud Missile or some anti aircraft gun on the back of a used Toyota Pick up? The A-10 gun can to do the job for peanuts. Plus the f-35 with out tankers can't go far. Without tanker support The Marine F-35 has a choice Carry weapons or fuel. We will not always be fighting third world nations. Air and sea supremacy is in our favor now only if we go nuclear and we do not confront the big boys. I do not see using nucs but I do see down the road China and Russia confronting us at some time. Probably both together. Over oil and land ownership. We may get the chance to see what happens in a few more years with the fight over oil in the islands off of Japan and China. They all say they own the same Earth. I would say its not our problem. But you know Washington and the oil companies putting money in the politicians pockets. We will be in the middle of it saying its about somebodies freedom. Putin will not blink but our leadership now will.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other nations I see are still buying new tanks. Israel, German and Britain have received recent orders.
Not for tanks we haven't, we can't cut our fleet fast enough and don't have an assembly line for new ones so that's false.

How much does the new F-35 really cost per. Does anybody really know.
UK is picking up their copies for ~$110mn a piece (including engines), nowhere near your $330mn

Our industrial offests (coming as a Teir 1 partner) are multiple times what we payed for development (<£10bn for dev, something like £1bn per year for 30 years industrial bonuses).

Yes a -B-1 can stay on station all day. At what cost. So too can any fighter flying. But they need constant tanker support
I'd be very interested in the number of A-10s required to maintain the number on station which could deliver the equivalent power of a B-1, especially the $ part

The New KC-46 is over $200 mil a copy, an F-22 is $300 mil a copy and the missiles I quoted are $70,000 for a Hellfire and $150,000 to $260,000 for a AGM-65 Maverick depending on model
There's a reason why Hellfire is used far more common than Maverick, and it ain't just cost.

[WRT British Tank orders] Is it just prestige or do they think they may need them in the future.
Nope. We have our 200+ MBTs, not buying any more. Plus it's not really that great of a comparison, we have Tornados and WAH-64's that plan on tearing the arse out of any formed armoured force we meed and our MBTs have become more about sweeping up armoured formations and infantry support

Grandsons are now flying B-52s and KC-135s. Do you see any airline flying 50 year old plane?
Commercial incentives =/= military incentives

Does one need supersonic speed and fancy missiles to kill a tank, a Scud Missile or some anti aircraft gun on the back of a used Toyota Pick up?
Nope, WAH-64.

The Marine F-35 has a choice Carry weapons or fuel. We will not always be fighting third world nations. Air and sea supremacy is in our favor now only if we go nuclear and we do not confront the big boys.
Remind me again, why is the Marines fighting for air/sea supremacy? Also, what about the Marines pushing for a tanker V-22?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I think the point of this is not getting through. We are not winning wars with high cost high tech weapon systems. Nobody has addressed the Trillions wasted on these varied weapon systems. And we have lost these wars. If the A-10 were so obsolete than why have the Russians developed the SU-39. Fairly new. Put in service in 1995. It is actually better than the A-10. Easy to fly, easy to maintain and will run on regular diesel fuel. I thought our pentagon was supposed to defend us from all enemies. Russia and China are the ones pulling the strings of there puppet nations. We face weapons from those nations not Iraqi, Afghanistan or Iran. Yes a -B-1 can stay on station all day. At what cost. So too can any fighter flying. But they need constant tanker support. The New KC-46 is over $200 mil a copy, an F-22 is $300 mil a copy and the missiles I quoted are $70,000 for a Hellfire and $150,000 to $260,000 for a AGM-65 Maverick depending on model. That's not chicken feed. Unless you live on Long Island or in a nice area of LA or Frisco you can buy a decent home for that. The only ones making out are the manufactures of all these systems. Are we safer because of them No. And while we throw good money after bad on most of these systems our nation degrades. Our astronauts go up on a 40 year old Vostock Russian Rockets at $100 million per astronaut because we can not afford our own any more. One does not have to re invent the wheel to get the job done. The Vostock put up Sputnik in the 50s. That put Washington into a tail spin. And the Vostock was there original ICBM. Not bad for an obsolete system really designed by German Rocket Scientist nearly 70 years ago. Why do we still have tanks? Just because the army wants them? Other nations I see are still buying new tanks. Israel, German and Britain have received recent orders. Is it just prestige or do they think they may need them in the future. Grandsons are now flying B-52s and KC-135s. Do you see any airline flying 50 year old plane? Buffalo Airways does but that's an exception. Many A-10s have been rewinged and have newer systems. To scrap them now is another waste of money we do not have. How much does the new F-35 really cost per. Does anybody really know. With development cost thrown in well over $330 mil apiece. Does one need supersonic speed and fancy missiles to kill a tank, a Scud Missile or some anti aircraft gun on the back of a used Toyota Pick up? The A-10 gun can to do the job for peanuts. Plus the f-35 with out tankers can't go far. Without tanker support The Marine F-35 has a choice Carry weapons or fuel. We will not always be fighting third world nations. Air and sea supremacy is in our favor now only if we go nuclear and we do not confront the big boys. I do not see using nucs but I do see down the road China and Russia confronting us at some time. Probably both together. Over oil and land ownership. We may get the chance to see what happens in a few more years with the fight over oil in the islands off of Japan and China. They all say they own the same Earth. I would say its not our problem. But you know Washington and the oil companies putting money in the politicians pockets. We will be in the middle of it saying its about somebodies freedom. Putin will not blink but our leadership now will.
The Canadian army actually found tanks to be quite useful in Afghanistan, so much so that they replaced old Leopard I tanks with A4 Leo 2s bought used from Holland along with A6s loaned from Germany. The 100 purchased A4s will be upgraded to the A6 standard. Other nations have also purchased surplus Leo 2s from Europe. They are a real bargain (especially compared to our used Victoria subs)!

STURM

We will not always be fighting third world nations..
Quite true, then why assume that in a future conflict the U.S. finds itself in that the A-10 will be able to operate as it did in Iraq or Afghanistan due to the opponent not having a GBAD or one that had been severely degraded?

Air and sea supremacy is in our favor now only if we go nuclear and we do not confront the big boys.
Which countries would the U.S. have to go nuclear with to ensure air and sea supremacy? And who are the 'big boys'?

Last edited:

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whuch countries would the U.S. have to go nuclear with to ensure air and sea supremacy? And who are the 'big boys'?
Indeed.

Chances are if you are having to go towards a nuclear solution then air/sea supremacy be damned in any case

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
We will not always be fighting third world nations.
I found a reasonable sentence in there. It was like playing "Where's Waldo?", but I found it.

Still not sure any of that got around to explaining how keeping or even buying more of a one trick pony that cant function in high threat environments prepares for a high end conflict in a constrained budget.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the point of this is not getting through.
Yup.

One more time - how long (in minutes) is the A10 going to survive in a contested environment? Forget the cannon and the armour - you're a pilot, tasked with supporting "our" troops (mine and yours, because of course, the UK never miss a party the US are throwing, we're like that nice couple two doors up, we arrive on time, bring a nice bottle of wine and help with the dishes)

So, you're a pilot, off to take on the bad guys - you can wipe out 24 tanks in one pass from a Typhoon from ten miles back or do one per pass from a mile out, turn, come back, strafe again and pray no-one *spots the pattern*..

We did low and slow in GW1 and its fatal - for the aircraft involved. OV-10's, disproportionate losses, A10's, hit multiple times, several lost, tactics shifted to high and distant fairly quickly. A flight of 8 Jaguars crossed Iraqi airspace to get into Kuwait, were over there for under six minutes - and every one of those aircraft had got a hole somewhere, even though they were tanking it on the deck at just under double the speed of an A10. Four were lost in GW1, all to missiles -they can take a kicking from light small arms and cannon fire but I'd sooner be in a LO design flying way above trash fire distance with all the situational awareness that that EODAS camera system brings.

If we knew we were fighting low intensity wars for the next twenty years, A10 might be worth keeping on but they will *NOT* survive in a contested air space over an integrated air defence system.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think the point of this is not getting through. We are not winning wars with high cost high tech weapon systems.
There are two aspects to winning a war, the miliary aspect and the strategic aspect (political outcome). The military can only contribute to the military aspect and is only required to achieve the military strategic objective. I am at a loss as to how any student of history can possibly conclude that the US and coalition forces have "lost" a single war militarily since WW2. I will not discuss Korea because I am not able to provide facts and figures off the top of my head however Vietnam, US losses 50k +- N Vietnam losses 1MIL. I wont get into the many battles, of which the US never left the field defeated. Grenada? Panama? Iraq 1? Iraq 2? Afghanistan? Forgetting for the moment coalition forces never did fight a recognized military formation in Afghanistan the balance of the actions were decided in days and weeks all owing to superior technology and training. If anything past actions have born out the idea that higher technology, is highly desirable.

Nobody has addressed the Trillions wasted on these varied weapon systems. And we have lost these wars. If the A-10 were so obsolete than why have the Russians developed the SU-39. Fairly new. Put in service in 1995. It is actually better than the A-10. Easy to fly, easy to maintain and will run on regular diesel fuel.
First we would have to agree we've "wasted" money on these varied weapons systems, which we have not. As a proponent of the A10 you must at least understand it requires that air superiority be provided to it by other platforms.

I thought our pentagon was supposed to defend us from all enemies. Russia and China are the ones pulling the strings of there puppet nations. We face weapons from those nations not Iraqi, Afghanistan or Iran.
News flash Who do you think supplies these countries with their systems? Hint, it's not Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan.

Yes a -B-1 can stay on station all day. At what cost. So too can any fighter flying. But they need constant tanker support. The New KC-46 is over $200 mil a copy, an F-22 is $300 mil a copy and the missiles I quoted are $70,000 for a Hellfire and $150,000 to $260,000 for a AGM-65 Maverick depending on model. That's not chicken feed. Unless you live on Long Island or in a nice area of LA or Frisco you can buy a decent home for that. The only ones making out are the manufactures of all these systems. Are we safer because of them No.
B-1's don't stay on station every day, they are a strategic assett. You are completely remiss in having concept of aerial warfare and this thread isn't the place to start pointing out the very basic fundamentals aside from saying: Strategic platforms are a necessity and hopefully are used little if at all. Besides dropping nukes they do have the ability to deliver smart ordenance to fill a gap until; Once air superiority is accomplished (a matter of days since Vietnam) fighters are withdrawn almost completely (with the exception of occassional CAP's providing overlap for other assetts) for less expensive platforms (UAV's and Attack Helicopters) can take up constant coverage.

And while we throw good money after bad on most of these systems our nation degrades. Our astronauts go up on a 40 year old Vostock Russian Rockets at $100 million per astronaut because we can not afford our own any more. One does not have to re invent the wheel to get the job done. The Vostock put up Sputnik in the 50s. That put Washington into a tail spin. And the Vostock was there original ICBM. Not bad for an obsolete system really designed by German Rocket Scientist nearly 70 years ago. Why do we still have tanks? Just because the army wants them? Other nations I see are still buying new tanks. Israel, German and Britain have received recent orders. Is it just prestige or do they think they may need them in the future.
You are jumping from astronauts to army tanks? This piece of the thread is almost like watching an episode of Connections. If you don't know why we use/need tanks (you don't) how can you conclude we don't need them? Or was this rhetorical?

Grandsons are now flying B-52s and KC-135s. Do you see any airline flying 50 year old plane? Buffalo Airways does but that's an exception. Many A-10s have been rewinged and have newer systems. To scrap them now is another waste of money we do not have.
If you think the F22/35 is expensive imagine the cost of a new B52 type platform. It is precisely due to costs that some platforms have to go away and being the grand daddy with a tiny mission window the A10 is an obvious choice.

How much does the new F-35 really cost per. Does anybody really know. With development cost thrown in well over $330 mil apiece. Does one need supersonic speed and fancy missiles to kill a tank, a Scud Missile or some anti aircraft gun on the back of a used Toyota Pick up? The A-10 gun can to do the job for peanuts. Plus the f-35 with out tankers can't go far. Without tanker support The Marine F-35 has a choice Carry weapons or fuel. We will not always be fighting third world nations. Air and sea supremacy is in our favor now only if we go nuclear and we do not confront the big boys. I do not see using nucs but I do see down the road China and Russia confronting us at some time. Probably both together. Over oil and land ownership. We may get the chance to see what happens in a few more years with the fight over oil in the islands off of Japan and China. They all say they own the same Earth. I would say its not our problem. But you know Washington and the oil companies putting money in the politicians pockets. We will be in the middle of it saying its about somebodies freedom. Putin will not blink but our leadership now will.
Some of this has been addressed by others. I will point out however that at the point where the A10 "could" be used Apaches take over anyway and they are superior in CAS to the A10 and that's before we even start talking about the AH64E. In fact, Apaches have been used to peel the IADS onion so the A10 "could" be used and then it was for a very limited time. The Apache is the platform that paved the way for the fast movers to get into Iraq not the A10. Apaches provided CAS all the way to the bitter end in Iraq, will in Afghanistan and I suspect future conflicts as well. Lastly, given the choice the grunts would rather be supported by fellow dog faces than the AF because we believe that it is our job to support the ground pounders, the AF doesn't have that philosophy at all. Eventually even the AH64's will be relegated to the scrap yard having done all they can do, in fact I suspect they will be the last manned attack platform the Army owns.

Final disclaimer, I do not in any way intend to discredit the folks in the AF or their accomplishments. I to rely upon air superiority to do my job and I salute them for doing such a great job of providing that security.

Last edited:

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good points on the AH-64 by the way - I know in Afghanistan the Apache has a very respected position - in the eyes of the enemy - they hate it's persistence, the optics, the ability it has to collect intelligence and very rapidly take action - much faster than waiting for a Paveway IV to come whistling in.

Once they start tapping in to using UAV's with the thing, it's going to be *terrifying* to face.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I imagine some creative minds will develop interesting ways for the Apache and accompanying UAV's to be put to work. MTADS was such a huge improvement over the legacy FLIR it was a game changer in terms of TTP's. Pushing an armed UAV out ahead while you receive live sensor feeds from it is going to open a whole new chapter in the attack community, proporatinate to the UAV's it will have at it's disposal.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mr Conti: some paragraphs might be a good idea, if you want people to read your posts.
Actually making sense and responding to people's own queries instead of an incessant stream of wandering nonsense would also help with people reading your posts, Conti.

At this point I'm really wondering if you're a troll as you seem totally ignorant of the very platforms you seem to have come here to defend, and you also appear to be ignoring the posts of everyone else in favour of your own constant ranting.

Best shape up now if you want to stick around. Your knowledge and your engagement style need to be bumped up to be acceptable on these forums - there's only so long one can take a poster like you seriously.

Donald J Conti

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A-10

Short and simple for most most of you. Just watch Feb 16, 60 minuets about the A-10 replacement. The great and wonderful F-35 and also the great and wonderful Lockheed Martin. After all those Billions not so great and down 50% of the time. How many updated A-10s could be bought for just 1 F-35? After so long in development how long before the projected leadership in this weapon system over the enemy? Not long. They showed the new Russian and Chinese fighters. Nobody on this forum really knows there capability. Better, on par or worse. I was on a destroyer for 4 years. Many high tech systems. Most either did not work, failed to perform or were down 50% of the time. But the powers at be and makers of this stuff always sold the systems as the second coming. Same as a Chevy salesman comparing his product over a Toyota.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
So a 5th generation VLO multirole strike fighter is effectively worthless in the face of Chinese/Russian development (of a fighter some years away from demonstrating the capability of the F-35 right now and AFAIK not even double digit numbers exist) which will sweep this aircraft from the skies (but legacy fighters will remain impervious to said developments no doubt) but keeping a mudmover like the A-10 apparently makes complete sense?

I'm done, can't believe I just read that.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Short and simple for most most of you. Just watch Feb 16, 60 minuets about the A-10 replacement. The great and wonderful F-35 and also the great and wonderful Lockheed Martin. After all those Billions not so great and down 50% of the time. How many updated A-10s could be bought for just 1 F-35? After so long in development how long before the projected leadership in this weapon system over the enemy? Not long. They showed the new Russian and Chinese fighters. Nobody on this forum really knows there capability. Better, on par or worse. I was on a destroyer for 4 years. Many high tech systems. Most either did not work, failed to perform or were down 50% of the time. But the powers at be and makers of this stuff always sold the systems as the second coming. Same as a Chevy salesman comparing his product over a Toyota.
I have followed this thread with interest and found it quite informative. Their are people on here who are defence professionals and very knowledgeable in their fields who have taken the time to explain to you the basic fallacies of your argument and why the A10 is no longer best suited for the CAS role which was its only role.

You claim to have been on a destroyer for four years so maybe you should back that claim up with the years, navy, ship, branch you served in and your rating. Be advised that some of us are ex or serving members of various navies. Prove to us you are who you claim you are and not a troll.

Last edited:

SASWanabe

Mate, you just keep on rambling and not actually responding to peoples points...

F-35 = useless
A-10 = the be all end all of planes?

Even if the F-35 is 40 years newer. 40 years more advanced, 40 years more survivable in a modern battlespace?

as a general rule in planes (even an A-10) if you get hit by a missile your screwed.

whats more likely to get shot down, the slow plane making strafing runs directly above the enemy? or the plane that's firing from 30,000+ feet and miles away?

P.S to the mods, i would love to see his claims of service verified...

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short and simple for most most of you.
Don't you bloody dare get condescending after the crap you've been posting. That's a short road to being shown the door. You continually parrot your argument without regard to the input of others, some of whom are current or prior military (as you yourself claim), you fail to address the holes in your idea, you've simply given your conclusion (that more A-10s are needed) and have been cherry-picking data to suit that conclusion, instead of the other way around.

This is the second warning I'm giving. Either start addressing people's points and turn this into a worthwhile discussion, or keep being a smart-arse and keep repeating the same points over and over again, and see where it takes you.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't disbelieve he was in the Navy, but I would be interested to know whether or not his duties would have given him an insight into the ships state of readiness. I wont comment on anything further, I have to go catch a rerun of 60 Minutes so I can brief the general on how we've screwed things up so baddly! That may sound rediculoust but it really does put things into context.