A Sentinel aircraft from No 5 (Army Cooperation) Squadron has deployed in support of French military operations in Mali.
A No 5 (Army Cooperation) Squadron Sentinel aircraft
The Sentinel deployed today from RAF Waddington to an air base in Africa in support of French military operations in Mali.
No 5 (Army Cooperation) Squadron is manned by both Army and RAF personnel who operate the ASTOR radar surveillance system and fly the Sentinel R1 aircraft.
The Secretary of State for Defence, Philip Hammond, said:
As the Prime Minister has made clear, the UK supports France’s decision to provide military support to the Malian Government. The National Security Council agreed on Tuesday to look at further French requests for additional logistical and surveillance support for this operation over and above our C-17 commitment.”
Following discussions with the French, we have now decided to deploy Sentinel, a surveillance capability that has proved its worth in Libya and on an ongoing basis for counter-insurgency operations in Afghanistan.”
We have also agreed to continue to make available a C-17 heavy-lift transport aircraft which has already provided important logistical support over recent days.”
Officer Commanding No 5 (Army Cooperation) Squadron, Wing Commander Al Marshall, said:
Sentinel is deploying to provide a unique intelligence capability in support of French operations within Mali. We look forward to working closely with our French allies, building upon the working relationships established during training and previous operations such as Op Ellamy over Libya in 2011.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- China's motives behind its new Air Defence Identification Zone
- Movies with good Jet Air Combat?
- F-35 - International Participation
- Role of rifle fire/heavier small arms/other weapons
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- X-37 - The first military space plane?
- M16 vs AK-47?
- Should the 5.56 be replaced?
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Skunk Works unveil SR-72 concept
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- New TKMS (HDW) "budget" submarine presented at SUBCON 2007