Iranian Defense Minister Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi says that Tehran has launched production of a domestically developed short-range air defense system.
According to the minister, the air defense system – dubbed Ya Zahra – can detect, track and destroy short-range aerial targets, including aircraft, helicopters and drones. Vahidi added that the mobile system, which can be integrated with the Iranian defense network, can simultaneously destroy several targets. It also features fully automatic tracking, he said.
The system was successfully tested during a joint air defense exercise of the armed forces and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, held November 12-15, 2012. Iran has held several major defense drills in recent months amid mounting war threats made against the country by Israel and the United States.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Principles of Strategy and Tactics
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Your kettle may be spying on you.
- NZDF General discussion thread
- North Korean Military.
- Kapooka Pics
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Royal New Zealand Air Force