Iranian Defense Minister Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi says that Tehran has launched production of a domestically developed short-range air defense system.
According to the minister, the air defense system – dubbed Ya Zahra – can detect, track and destroy short-range aerial targets, including aircraft, helicopters and drones. Vahidi added that the mobile system, which can be integrated with the Iranian defense network, can simultaneously destroy several targets. It also features fully automatic tracking, he said.
The system was successfully tested during a joint air defense exercise of the armed forces and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, held November 12-15, 2012. Iran has held several major defense drills in recent months amid mounting war threats made against the country by Israel and the United States.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Made in Singapore Equipment
- Fire-control protocol - the Buk-M1 air defense complex
- Help identifying an NASA plane from 1966
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards