Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Re: Indian Navy News and Discussion

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
Is it because the PJ-10 missile requires a vertical launching system platform, I guess like you said neither the Scorpion nor Kilo can accommodate it without substantial modifications
It has to do with missile diameter and torpedo tube diameter. Club familiy can fit into 533mm tubes for regular heavyweight torpedos. PJ 10 can't and would probably require 650mm torpedo tubes, like the ones made by the Russians. These are not standard on most submarines.

Druz

France sold India 36 Exocet with 6 Scorpen.
Bat it said, that new weapon system can be integrate in sub after constraction 2 Sub.
Why such many Exocet is?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Druz said:
Bat it said, that new weapon system can be integrate in sub after constraction 2 Sub.
Unless you want to completely redesign the nose of that sub and upset the entire enineering and acoustic balance - you won't be putting Brahmos inside a Scorpene. can't be done unless you have major surgery. And I seriously doubt that the IndGov let alone the IndNav will allow that.

Druz said:
Why such many Exocet is?
6 reloads each. I'd say that its an interim order only and that 6 is not enough (but perfectly adequate for peacetime stocks)

kingkobra

Banned Member
India began building its first indigenously designed aircraft carrier

Link:http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/worldwideaircraftcarriers/vikrant.htm

INS Vikrant (Building)
In April 2005 India began building its first indigenously designed aircraft carrier, the INS Virkant, in the Cochin naval shipyards. The vessel is being built to the final Air Defense Ship (ADS) design set forth by the India Navy's Directorate of Naval Design (DND) for the last several years. The keel laying is scheduled late in the year. The ship is expected to enter service in 2012 when it will join the INS Vikramaditya, which will have replaced the INS Viraat in 2010.

A second carrier of this class is expected to be built and delivered in 2018 to join the new Virkant and the Vikramaditya. At that time, the Indian Navy will have three large, modern carriers.

INS Vikrant first indigenously designed aircraft carrier

SPECIFICATIONS

Length: 830 ft
Width: 190 ft
Beam: 116 ft
Displacement: 40,000 tons
Propulsion: 4 LM 2500 gas turbines,
2 shafts
Speed: 28 knots
Crew: 1,600
Airwing: 30 Fixed, rotary
Armament:
- 2 X 16 VLS SAM
- 4 X 76mm guns
Elevators: 2
Ships in class: 1

Last edited:

aaaditya

Re: India began building its first indigenously designed aircraft carrier

kingkobra said:
Link:http://www.freewebs.com/jeffhead/worldwideaircraftcarriers/vikrant.htm

INS Vikrant (Building)
In April 2005 India began building its first indigenously designed aircraft carrier, the INS Virkant, in the Cochin naval shipyards. The vessel is being built to the final Air Defense Ship (ADS) design set forth by the India Navy's Directorate of Naval Design (DND) for the last several years. The keel laying is scheduled late in the year. The ship is expected to enter service in 2012 when it will join the INS Vikramaditya, which will have replaced the INS Viraat in 2010.

A second carrier of this class is expected to be built and delivered in 2018 to join the new Virkant and the Vikramaditya. At that time, the Indian Navy will have three large, modern carriers.

INS Vikrant first indigenously designed aircraft carrier

SPECIFICATIONS

Length: 830 ft
Width: 190 ft
Beam: 116 ft
Displacement: 40,000 tons
Propulsion: 4 LM 2500 gas turbines,
2 shafts
Speed: 28 knots
Crew: 1,600
Airwing: 30 Fixed, rotary
Armament:
- 2 X 16 VLS SAM
- 4 X 76mm guns
Elevators: 2
Ships in class: 1
the indian carriers are based in design on the italian cavour class and italy is acting as the consultant.
by the way does anyone know what sam's will it carry(aster or russian ones)and also what is the carriers range?

XEROX

Im persuming their is going to be 3 carriers of the ADS class be built, the first being 40K tonnes, any chance the later 2 being of much large displacments i.e. 70k-100k tonnes.

aaaditya

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
Im persuming their is going to be 3 carriers of the ADS class be built, the first being 40K tonnes, any chance the later 2 being of much large displacments i.e. 70k-100k tonnes.
yes three carriers of ads class will be built.so india will have 4 carriers(including gorshkov).
though the csl has capacity to build ships of 100000 tons displacement ,i dont think the ads will be of 100000 tons displacement since it will require redesign and can result in further delays,also indian naval bases as of now do not have the capacity to berth such heavy displacement vessels.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

aaaditya said:
also indian naval bases as of now do not have the capacity to berth such heavy displacement vessels.
well, someone needs to get their civil construction act together - otherwise you'll have 3 carriers doing double duty as sea bases.

XEROX

also indian naval bases as of now do not have the capacity to berth such heavy displacement vessels
I would imagine the naval base Karwar, [SIZE=-1]which is the largest in asia would be able to accomodate large ships
[/SIZE]

aaaditya

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
I would imagine the naval base Karwar, [SIZE=-1]which is the largest in asia would be able to accomodate large ships
[/SIZE]
offcourse karwar will be able to and also the new naval base at rambilli,but what about the others,i dont think mumbai or vishakapatinam will be able to berth such heavy carriers(they cant even be updated since they have become too congested.)
also a 75000+aircraft carriers will be very expensive due to increased logistics requirement ,something which indian navy can ill afford at the moment,also there is no real necessity of these,i think india should concentrate more on potent submarine force(nuclear and conventional),and more capable destroyers and frigates.

PLA2025

I wonder why noone is against India to deploy 4 aircraft carriers even about the 70.000 to 100.000 tons? When it was about China to develop and deploy its first carriers, people are whining and complaining that China would not need carriers. How come India wants four and noone has concerns while when China want some in the future everyone is treatling China like a thug. It has to be mentioned that the average livestandard and economy in India is even behind China! So when you would say China wastes money to deploy carriers, what is India doing?
Don't get me wrong, I don't consider India as a rival or threat to China (although some others might think different) and I think that both nations have the right to deploy aircraft carriers if they want and need some. I'm just talking about the unfairness towards Chinese. Equality is needed as a basis to avoid disputes and conflicts.

Last edited:

dabrownguy

I wonder why noone is against India to deploy 4 aircraft carriers even about the 70.000 to 100.000 tons? When it was about China to develop and deploy its first carriers, people are whining and complaining that China would not need carriers. How come India wants four and noone has concerns while when China want some in the future everyone is treatling China like a thug.
I can't understand you but i'll try to answer this. Look at the Asian map. Now do you the Indian shoreline? Do you see a invisable oil route through the INDIAN OCEAN around INDIAN ISLANDS going through the very important MALLACA STRAITS in the Pacfic Ocean? No do you see the vast size of the Indian Ocean and its resourses? Also have you noticed the strong British Naval traditions and training in the Indian Navy? From the 60's?
Okay now, do you see Tiawan? How for is it from China? Do you think a Aircraft Carrier will be needed to reach it? And if you look at PLAN's fleet do you any considerable ASW platforms that could excort the Carrier? Let alone anti-seaskimmer missile system besides the HQ-7? The PLAN's Carrier in today's warfare would be moderatly easy picking for anti-ship missiles and submarines. Also considering the LACK of experience with Carriers, which they could get from Russia with training etc...
Lastly PLAN's fleet is built around her threat matrix.
It has to be mentioned that the average livestandard and economy in India is even behind China! So when you would say China wastes money to deploy carriers, what is India doing?
Protecting her trade routes and islands.
Don't get me wrong, I don't consider India as a rival or threat to China (although some others might think different) and I think that both nations have the right to deploy aircraft carriers if they want and need some. I'm just talking about the unfairness towards Chinese. Equality is needed as a basis to avoid disputes and conflicts.
Every nation has the right to deploy Carriers. PLAN at the moment has little reason to deploy a Carrier expecially when they don't have a platform to train sailors on.

aaaditya

PLA2025 said:
I wonder why noone is against India to deploy 4 aircraft carriers even about the 70.000 to 100.000 tons? When it was about China to develop and deploy its first carriers, people are whining and complaining that China would not need carriers. How come India wants four and noone has concerns while when China want some in the future everyone is treatling China like a thug. It has to be mentioned that the average livestandard and economy in India is even behind China! So when you would say China wastes money to deploy carriers, what is India doing?
india already has experience ,basic infrastructure and doctrine in place for the operation of carriers(india has been operating them for the past 20-30 years),also when india tried to acquire its first carriers there were similiar protests and also when india tried to acquire the gorshkov,several sections of the indian media questioned the viability of the deal.
you must also take into consideration india's strategic location at the junction of the indian ocean through with 70% of the global mercantile shipping passes to get to south china sea(and to china),carriers will give india effective reach to monitor these shippings and to ensure their safety(from pirates and in the event of war).

kingkobra

Banned Member

This thread is for Indian navy not for china. how can you post about china china Blah blah blah post in chinese navy thread.How come admin (webmaster) allowed you to post this ?

admin: and how many times have we told everyone who is not a mod to not behave like a mod?

Thread frozen temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:

dabrownguy

Can I ask the experts here if its possible that the InN will deploy Harriers on the Vikrymidia? The reason I ask is because launching 1-2 Migs at a time could be pain and having VTOL would be a great advantage.

kingkobra

Banned Member

dabrownguy said:
Can I ask the experts here if its possible that the InN will deploy Harriers on the Vikrymidia? The reason I ask is because launching 1-2 Migs at a time could be pain and having VTOL would be a great advantage.
(It is Vikramaditya not Vikrymidia.)

Chandragupta II (380 to 413 AD) tried to be better than his father Samudragupta, and most historians agree, he was certainly successful. Vikramaditya is THE LEGENDARY emperor of India.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/r-vikramaditya.htm

On 20 January 2004, it was announced that India and Russia had signed a $1.6 billion deal finalizing the sale of the Admiral Gorshkov to India. According to the deal, half of the money would spent at the Northern machine-building factory in Severodvinsk, to refurbish the carrier with the other half being spent on MIG 29-K fighter jets and anti-submarine helicopters. When the ship was part of the Soviet fleet, it used vertical take-off aircraft. Now it will use MiG-29K planes, and the deck must be refurbished to accommodate the installation of a landing strip and a catapult. The rest of the money is going to the acquisition of 16 MiG-29K fighter jets, and up to 10 helicopters that can fit onto the ship. Gorshkov is slated to join the Indian navy in 2008 after a refit. The Navy looke at equipping the carrier Gorshkov (INS Vikramaditya) with the E- 2C, but decided not to.

The navy agreed to buy the Russian aircraft carrier, the Admiral Gorshkov, for a nominal fee. But it requires a $670m refit and will eventually have between 18 to 20 Mig 29 fighters which will cost in excess of $1bn. Gorshkov, which is slated to join the Indian navy in May 2008 after a refit.

The conversion plans for the aircraft carrier see all the armament, including the P-500 Bazalt cruise missile launchers and the four Antey Kinzhal surface-to-air missile launchers fitted on the front of the carrier, removed to make way for a 14.3º bow ski-jump. Two restraining stands will also be fitted, allowing combat aircraft to reach full power before making a ski-jump-assisted short take-off. The ability to launch only one aircraft at a time, might prove to be a hindrance. Under the modernization plan, the 20-ton capacity elevator beside the ship's island superstructure will remain unchanged, but the aft lift will be enlarged and its lift capacity increased to 30 tons. Three arresting gears would be fitted on the aft part of the angled deck. Navigation and carrier-landing aids would be refitted to support fixed-wing STOBAR (Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery) operations including the LAK optical-landing system.

The eight boilers are being renewed and converted to take diesel fuel instead of furnace fuel oil and modern oil-water separators as well as sewage treatment plant are being incorporated to meet international standards. She is also being fitted with six new Italian-made Wärtsilä 1.5 MW diesel generators, Global Marine communications system, Sperry Bridgemaster navigation radar, a new telephone exchange, new data link and IFF Mk XI system.

Two restraining stands will also be fitted, allowing combat aircraft to reach full power before making a ski-jump-assisted short take-off.So Vikramaditya can deploy Harriers and some Naval LCA

Admin: Try to make responses relevant to a posters original question. We don't need an information sheet on Vikramaditya - we need more relevant info relating to dabrownbuys original request for info.

Last edited by a moderator:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

STOBAR carriers are not able to rotate aircraft to the same rate as CATOBAR carriers.

This becomes even more pronounced when tempo goes up and simulataneous traps and launches are needed.

dabrownguy

It could but it would be slow because it could take time to clear the flight deck?
But none the less its possible i'd imagine. The Russians did it on their Cruiser correct? how fast was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.