Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaditya

Re: Indian Navy News and Discussion

well here is another news article on the indian navy:

Russia offers sale of naval planes to India

India is considering a rival bid from Russia to sell naval surveillance and anti-submarine airplanes, even as it examines a United States offer of eight P3-C Orions, the country's naval chief said Wednesday.

Admiral Arun Prakash did not disclose which Russian model aircraft is being considered, but India's current maritime surveillance fleet comprises three Ilyushin-38s and eight Tupolev-142s, both Russian-made. He said the navy has not set a timeframe to decide on buying the naval planes, but that the negotiations are advancing.

"It is going take some time before we decide, " Prakash told reporters in Bangalore, on the fringes of an aviation seminar. "We will buy the one that offers the right price and meets our needs."

http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/sep/14orion1.htm :coffee

the russian offer i believe is the an74(conventional design) equipped with the israeli elta el-m-2032 radar having sar/isar and range profiling capabilities.
i believe the other mpa's offered to india are usa-p3c orions(favourites),france has offered the atr75-500(for both navy and coast guard,besides setting up a full fledged manufacturing and maintainence facility to cater to both civil and millitary needs) and the falcon900x and indonesia has offered the cn235m(i believe the transport variant of this aircraft has been sold to pakistan),though i believe india is very much interested in joining the usa-p8mma project if allowed.russia had also offered to india navy the lease of 4 tu22m bombers (dont know the status of this deal). :coffee

aaaditya

seems after the initial 6 scorpene subs the remaining will be indian design (may be based on the scorpene,very much like the spanish s80).though i wish india could acquire the viking design which has been dropped sweden,norway and denmark and couple it with the sterling fuel cells.

http://newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE120050914120653&Page=1&Title=Bangalore&Topic=0

Admiral Prakash said these six submarines would be built under licence at the Mazagoan docks in Mumbai.

“After this series, we will design and build our own later.'' Stating that having submarines at sea increased the combat levels of the blue water navy, he said with the induction of these submarines, the force levels would be adequate to meet any threat.

:coffee

kashifshahzad

Banned Member

aaaditya said:
seems after the initial 6 scorpene subs the remaining will be indian design (may be based on the scorpene,very much like the spanish s80).though i wish india could acquire the viking design which has been dropped sweden,norway and denmark and couple it with the sterling fuel cells.

http://newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE120050914120653&Page=1&Title=Bangalore&Topic=0

Admiral Prakash said these six submarines would be built under licence at the Mazagoan docks in Mumbai.

“After this series, we will design and build our own later.'' Stating that having submarines at sea increased the combat levels of the blue water navy, he said with the induction of these submarines, the force levels would be adequate to meet any threat.

and here is another link form DT

India Taps France and Other Countries in Drive to Modernize its Military
VoA
Thu, 15 Sep 2005, 09:30

NEW DELHI: An order for six French submarines announced early this week is just the latest step in India's drive to modernize its armed forces. The submarines are part of India's plan to flex its military muscles more forcefully.

Related Story:
Missile test will fuel arms race argument debunked

Indian officials say the six French Scorpene submarines will be assembled at a naval dockyard in Bombay. The submarines will replace aging vessels in India's fleet of 14 French and Russian-built subs.

The nearly 2 billion dollar submarine deal was confirmed earlier this week during a visit to Paris by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Rahul Bedi, a correspondent at Jane's Defense Weekly, says over the next few years, India plans to increase its submarine strength substantially.

"It wants to bolster its submarine fleet to between 20 and 30. It is a fairly formidable navy. It has a long reach, it is growing longer sea legs," said Bedi.

The submarine deal is the latest in a series of big-ticket defense purchases by India, which is modernizing its military equipment, most of which was bought from the former Soviet Union.

A report prepared for the United States Congress says that last year, India emerged as the largest buyer among developing nations of conventional arms. The report says India agreed to deals worth 5.7 billion dollars.

Uday Bhaskar, the head of the government-funded Indian Institute of Defense Studies and Analysis, says the recent purchases will help plug the gaps in all three of India's military branches, the air force, navy and army.

"It is a case of being able to redress the situation of obsolescence, where in many major platforms, aircrafts, ships and certain equipment for the army, which could not be acquired due to funding constraints, are now gradually being redressed," said Bhaskar.

Big defense deals struck in the past year include an agreement to buy a Russian aircraft carrier. The Indian air force is also acquiring advanced jet trainers for its fighter pilots. And New Delhi has signed a deal with Israel for the supply of three sophisticated early-warning radar systems.

Rahul Bedi of Jane's Defense Weekly says the purchases are part of nuclear-capable India's plans to flex its military muscles in South Asia.

"India is now embarked on a regional power projection exercise, and for this exercise it needs more sophisticated platforms for its navy and its air force, and these acquisitions are in fact going to continue over many years," said Bedi.

Much of India's defense equipment is still purchased from Russia, but Israel is also emerging as a key supplier, as are the Western European countries. The United States, the largest supplier of arms to developing nations, is also feeding the Indian market.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003418.php

All people and Indian Govt were talking about the MRCAs and here we can see the submarie deal Fst can any one tell me the difference between these submaries which will be aquired by the Indian Navy and which PN has "Ogustas"

aaaditya

kashifshahzad said:
and here is another link form DT

India Taps France and Other Countries in Drive to Modernize its Military
VoA
Thu, 15 Sep 2005, 09:30

NEW DELHI: An order for six French submarines announced early this week is just the latest step in India's drive to modernize its armed forces. The submarines are part of India's plan to flex its military muscles more forcefully.

Related Story:
Missile test will fuel arms race argument debunked

Indian officials say the six French Scorpene submarines will be assembled at a naval dockyard in Bombay. The submarines will replace aging vessels in India's fleet of 14 French and Russian-built subs.

The nearly 2 billion dollar submarine deal was confirmed earlier this week during a visit to Paris by Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Rahul Bedi, a correspondent at Jane's Defense Weekly, says over the next few years, India plans to increase its submarine strength substantially.

"It wants to bolster its submarine fleet to between 20 and 30. It is a fairly formidable navy. It has a long reach, it is growing longer sea legs," said Bedi.

The submarine deal is the latest in a series of big-ticket defense purchases by India, which is modernizing its military equipment, most of which was bought from the former Soviet Union.

A report prepared for the United States Congress says that last year, India emerged as the largest buyer among developing nations of conventional arms. The report says India agreed to deals worth 5.7 billion dollars.

Uday Bhaskar, the head of the government-funded Indian Institute of Defense Studies and Analysis, says the recent purchases will help plug the gaps in all three of India's military branches, the air force, navy and army.

"It is a case of being able to redress the situation of obsolescence, where in many major platforms, aircrafts, ships and certain equipment for the army, which could not be acquired due to funding constraints, are now gradually being redressed," said Bhaskar.

Big defense deals struck in the past year include an agreement to buy a Russian aircraft carrier. The Indian air force is also acquiring advanced jet trainers for its fighter pilots. And New Delhi has signed a deal with Israel for the supply of three sophisticated early-warning radar systems.

Rahul Bedi of Jane's Defense Weekly says the purchases are part of nuclear-capable India's plans to flex its military muscles in South Asia.

"India is now embarked on a regional power projection exercise, and for this exercise it needs more sophisticated platforms for its navy and its air force, and these acquisitions are in fact going to continue over many years," said Bedi.

Much of India's defense equipment is still purchased from Russia, but Israel is also emerging as a key supplier, as are the Western European countries. The United States, the largest supplier of arms to developing nations, is also feeding the Indian market.

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003418.php

All people and Indian Govt were talking about the MRCAs and here we can see the submarie deal Fst can any one tell me the difference between these submaries which will be aquired by the Indian Navy and which PN has "Ogustas"
the design of the scorpene sub (the hull design is known as the albacore design)derives a lot of technology from the latest french nuclear submarine project particularly in terms of the sensors and the quieting technology,the scorpenes are considered to be amongst the quietest subs in the world ,they have the fully integrated subtics combat system,and it is believed that the scorpenes can be equipped with a miniature nuclear reactor thus making it a mini nuke sub(off course it will require a lot of modifications),the submarine also has rescue facilities for the crew(hatches to which dsrv's can attach),thus making it possible for the crew to be saved in the event the submarine is sunk(preventing the loss of life as in the case of kursk),india is plannig to acquire the mystic dsrv's from usa for this purpose.in other aspects it is comparable to the agosta 90b,both the submarines are modular and can be equipped with the air independent propulsion system.the scorpene requires lesser crew due to a higher degree of automation and carries more weapons than the agosta90b(18 vs 16).the scorpene can also be modified to carry and fire surface to air missiles,i dont know if this would be possible with the agosta 90b,basically the agosta 90b is the upgraded version of agosta70 which in itself is based on the daphne class,whereas the scorpene design is completely new.
for more info check out :
www.naval-technology.com
www.indiadefence.com
www.dcn.fr

aaaditya

well seems the indian navy is also interested in acquiring the hawks:

http://deccanherald.com/deccanherald/sep162005/national1652502005915.asp

Indian Navy holds talks with British firm

Of the three Services, the Indian Navy was the first to use the penalty clause in the agreement when the supply of frigates was delayed by Russian sellers.

The Indian Navy is believed to have opened negotiations with British Aerospace (BaE) for 18 to 22 Hawk advanced jet trainers (AJTs) after the Indian Air Force (IAF) refused to “share†with it the 66 Hawks which the former acquired last year for $ 1.65 billion.

The AJTs are due to join the service in a phased manner from 2008.

Official sources said the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited that was building 42 of the AJTs at Bangalore was also part of the navy’s negotiations for the jet trainers.

aaaditya

well here is some more news on the nuke subs for india:

Sep. 21, 2005

Pacific Fleet Moving South

// To participate in Russian-Indian naval maneuvers

Yesterday the battle group of ships from Pacific Ocean Fleet left from Vladivostok to Indian Ocean, where they would participate in joint Russian-Indian naval maneuvers INDRA-2005. The maneuvers also have a goal to demonstrate to the top brass of Indian army and navy the nuclear sub Project 09710 “Samara†– two subs of this class are being built right now in Komsomolsk-on- Amur for New Delhi.

Yesterday, the battle group of ships left Vladivostok and is on the way to the Indian Ocean. Among the ships of the group there are: missile cruiser Varyag, large antisubmarine ships Admiral Tributs and Admiral Panteleev, tanker Pechenga, and the rescue tug Kalar. The group is under command of Vice Admiral Sergey Avramenko, Deputy Commander of Pacific Ocean Fleet (POF). In the ocean the ships would be joined by nuclear sub Project 09710 “Samara†with the number K-295. The sub is coming from Kamchatka. On October 14 the POF battle group will enter port Vishahanatman. The port located in Bengalese Bay and considered to be the main naval base of India’s Eastern Fleet.

From Oct. 17 until Oct. 19, the Russian sailors will participate in joint Russian-Indian naval maneuvers INDRA-2005. According to Adm. Avramenko, during the maneuvers Varyag, Admiral Tributs and Admiral Panteleev will fire from the all weapons systems: antisubmarine missiles "Volcano", missile- torpedoes "Socket", anti-aircraft missiles "Fort", "Wasp-M" and the "Dagger." Also, according to Kommersant information, the nuclear sub of “Samara†class will demonstrate its capability. (The vessels of this project are made with extremely low-noise powerplant and their hull made out of low-magnetic steel.) The interest of Indian navy to this sub is understandable: two subs of this class are being built right now in Komsomolsk-on- Amur for New Delhi. One of the ships named “Nerpa†(Seal) is already on the water and its nuclear reactor has been started. Kommersant learned that the sub could be transferred to the Indian navy as early as the end of 2006. Another sub is 70 percent ready.

After the completion of INDRA-2005, the Russian battle group (excluding sub K-295) will visit Indonesian capital Jakarta, then Singapore, Sattahip(Thailand) and Hai Phong (Vietnam). The ships will return to the Vladivostok on Dec.14.

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?idr=530&id=610715

vedang

i heard of "shivalik" class of stealth frigates going to be inducted in IN this year. any news guys???:confused:

JOE

vedang said:
i heard of "shivalik" class of stealth frigates going to be inducted in IN this year. any news guys???:confused:
hi i am new here.i am a indian. i am from a family of defence officers. personally have practical expriences. so most of my entries will be from personal exprience.

I have joined this site as moderators look good who try not to turn every topic into Indo/ pak war.

New purchases for indian navy.

shivalik class stealth, they will be joined this year or early next year.

submarines : deal for scorpiones are already signed. 6 will be purchased/TOT and manufactured in india.. there is no plan at present to build more than 6 at present.

there is talk about starting another line for amur class submarines but it is in cold storage. no progress made there.

akula class II N submaries. it is too secret. we can only guess. but u can draw conclusion that russians have made a new submariner training centre and Indians are already there. also the work has started on two half finished submaries that were lying in the yards. so chances are this deal is through too.we may expect these akulas in india by 2007.

ATV. there is problem with the N - engine. so russian are helping with it. the submarine design is based on Graney Severodvinsk class . it will be aviable by 2010.

but main problem is that general publec will know about these N sub , 2 to 3 years after they are inducted.

bramhos: already the supplies have started few of the ships are already have them.

I hope my entries are acceptable as I am new in posting. :)

aaaditya

JOE said:
hi i am new here.i am a indian. i am from a family of defence officers. personally have practical expriences. so most of my entries will be from personal exprience.

I have joined this site as moderators look good who try not to turn every topic into Indo/ pak war.

New purchases for indian navy.

shivalik class stealth, they will be joined this year or early next year.

submarines : deal for scorpiones are already signed. 6 will be purchased/TOT and manufactured in india.. there is no plan at present to build more than 6 at present.

there is talk about starting another line for amur class submarines but it is in cold storage. no progress made there.

akula class II N submaries. it is too secret. we can only guess. but u can draw conclusion that russians have made a new submariner training centre and Indians are already there. also the work has started on two half finished submaries that were lying in the yards. so chances are this deal is through too.we may expect these akulas in india by 2007.

ATV. there is problem with the N - engine. so russian are helping with it. the submarine design is based on Graney Severodvinsk class . it will be aviable by 2010.

but main problem is that general publec will know about these N sub , 2 to 3 years after they are inducted.

bramhos: already the supplies have started few of the ships are already have them.

I hope my entries are acceptable as I am new in posting. :)
well there are plans to develop an indigenous submarine based on the scorpene design(check this weeks's frontline magazine they got an excellent article on the scorpene deal).
india is unhappy with the amurs and si i dont think they will be acquired.
the problem with atv was not with the nuclear reactor but with the reactor containment vessel,which houses the reactor(problems solved with russian assistance,and the reactor prototype has been tested at kalpakkam),the atv is expeted to be launched at the earliest in 2007.
check janes defence magazine dated 1/1999 their cover story is about the various nike submarine projects around the world(there article on the indian atv nuke submarine,chinese type93,brazilian snac2 etc).:D

JOE

aaaditya said:
well there are plans to develop an indigenous submarine based on the scorpene design(check this weeks's frontline magazine they got an excellent article on the scorpene deal).
india is unhappy with the amurs and si i dont think they will be acquired.
the problem with atv was not with the nuclear reactor but with the reactor containment vessel,which houses the reactor(problems solved with russian assistance,and the reactor prototype has been tested at kalpakkam),the atv is expeted to be launched at the earliest in 2007.
check janes defence magazine dated 1/1999 their cover story is about the various nike submarine projects around the world(there article on the indian atv nuke submarine,chinese type93,brazilian snac2 etc).:D
Yes there is plan to develop a new submarine based on scorpene design. but it is just a thought. let first submarine come to india and let india start manufacturing it then you may think of indegenous design. let us wait for atleast 15 years then we can talk about it.

amur I told you it is in cold storage.

for ATV. the Problem was with the design. the indians were not able to build the reactor which can fit into the submarine. that was the main problem. they got the help from the russians for tha. also the problem you have mentioned. so basically it is becoming a russian design made by the Indians.

aaaditya

JOE said:
Yes there is plan to develop a new submarine based on scorpene design. but it is just a thought. let first submarine come to india and let india start manufacturing it then you may think of indegenous design. let us wait for atleast 15 years then we can talk about it.

amur I told you it is in cold storage.

for ATV. the Problem was with the design. the indians were not able to build the reactor which can fit into the submarine. that was the main problem. they got the help from the russians for tha. also the problem you have mentioned. so basically it is becoming a russian design made by the Indians.
according to the jane's magazine it was a problem with the design of the reactor containment design and not the reactor which was tested at kalpakkam last year.the design of the submarine itself was not a problem because the design was provided by russia and was reported to be based on the charlie1 class of submarine which india had operated in the year 1988,later reports from janes claim that the atv was an exact copy of the latest russian attack submarine the project885 severodvinsk.an image as well as the info about that submarine has been provided in the same article.:D

aaaditya

well here is another example of american marketing tactics.

Business lurks in war game
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
Aircraft carrier USS Nimitz
New Delhi, Sept. 23: The Indian Navy begins a nine-day exercise with the US Navy on Sunday in what is the biggest and most advanced war game it has held with a foreign force off the west coast.

The US Navy’s aircraft carrier, the USS Nimitz, and the Indian Navy’s carrier, the INS Viraat, will lead battle groups for the manoeuvres.

This is the first time that aircraft carriers from the two navies will participate in the Malabar series of exercises, seven editions of which have been held so far.

The US will showcase aircraft and equipment that it has offered for sale or is negotiating to sell to India. The Nimitz will have on board F-A 18 Superhornet fighter aircraft and the E2C Hawkeye early warning plane. The US Navy will also fly sorties on the P3C Orion maritime surveillance aircraft from Goa.

Rear Admiral D.K. Joshi, the assistant chief of naval staff (information warfare and operations), said here today that the exercise, which continues till October 4, was not long enough to accommodate a major war game scenario but it would have elements of warfare.

These include air to air warfare, air to sub-sea warfare, rescuing a ship that has been boarded by pirates, simulated air strikes, shepherding, anti-submarine warfare, mid-sea replenishment in a multi-threat environment, counter-terrorism and air defence.

“In terms of assets committed, Malabar ’05 is the most advanced exercise that we have had with any navy,†Rear Admiral Joshi said. He identified the focus areas of the exercise as aviation inter-operability and VBSS (visit, board, search and seizure).

Indian and US authorities are in talks on the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) — which India has been invited to join — under which US and allied forces authorise themselves to take maritime security and anti-piracy measures in the sea lanes of communication.

though i cant understand the purpose of displaying it to the navy.:D

aaaditya

seems the scorpene deal is yet to be signed:

India, France to sign Scorpene sub deal on Oct.6

New Delhi, Sep 27.(PTI): A high-level French team is arriving here next week to ink the USD 3 billion (RS 13,000 Crore) deal for India's acquisition of six Scorpene submarines and also to hold parleys on the offer of transfer of nuclear technology for peaceful uses.

The delegation, which would include officials and members of the DCN-International, the manufacturers of Scorpene, will hold talks with the officials of the Defence Ministry and Navy to finalise the final delivery schedule of the subs and to further strengthen strategic ties between the two countries.

The Scorpene deal would be signed on October six by Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutt and officials of the French company in the presence of top officials from both the sides, according to highly placed Defence Ministry sources.

Under the announcement made jointly by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and French President Jacques Chirac in Paris on September 12, the six Scorpene Submarines are to be manufactured at Mazagoan Docks in Mumbai under full technology transfer.

Though the delivery schedule has not been made public, according to highly placed sources the first of the submarines would roll out by 2009 and the remaining five by 2015. http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200509271811.htm?headline=India,~France~to~sign~Scorpene~sub~deal~on~Oct.6

DCN Press Release

New success for Scorpene

Following sales to Chile and Malaysia, India has announced that it will acquire six DCN-designed Scorpene submarines. This new success further confirms the product’s international appeal.
Paris, 12 September 2005

An international industrial cooperation project

Indian Prime Minister Manoham Singh and chairman of India's Cabinet Committee on Security, today confirmed to French President Jacques Chirac his country's decision to acquire six Franco-Spanish Scorpene submarines. All six boats will be built entirely in India by Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock Limited.

DCN is the industrial prime contractor for Scorpene submarines in partnership with Spanish naval shipbuilder Navantia, the two companies sharing industrial responsibility for this ambitious project. DCN will be in charge of the technology transfer and delivery of all services and equipment. Armaris and DCN/Thales subsidiary UDS International will supply the combat systems.

The project is expected to take some 15 years to complete.

Commenting on the sale, DCN Chairman and CEO Jean-Marie Poimbœuf said: "This sale is a mark of recognition of DCN's know-how in international industrial partnerships to deliver strategic systems and technology transfers. It also makes Scorpene the new benchmark for submarine fleets the world over."

Scorpene: Proven DCN know-how in conventional submarines

This DCN-designed product line represents the state of the art in conventional submarine design and construction. It benefits from the latest technologies developed for French Navy classes, particularly as regards acoustic discretion and combat system performance. The modular Scorpene design can be readily tailored to each client navy's specific needs. Built-in interoperability also ensures compatibility with a wide range of customer-specified combat and weapon systems.

This brings the number of Scorpene submarines sold on the international market to ten. The first-of-type O'Higgins was handed over to the Chilean Navy on 9 September 2005 at a ceremony attended by Chilean Defence Minister Jaime Ravinet.

www.dcn.fr

THALES press release

Success for Thales in India on Scorpene submarine programme

Neuilly-sur-Seine, France, 12 Sep 2005

The Indian government has chosen Armaris, a joint venture between Thales and DCN, as prime contractor for the technology transfer programme under which six conventionally propelled Scorpène submarines will be built in India.

For Thales, the contract is worth nearly € 600 million.

As well as assuming prime contracting responsibilities through Armaris and providing assistance to the Indian shipbuilder Mazagon Dock Limited, Thales will supply key subsystems for the submarines' six SUBTICS® integrated combat systems, including underwater sensors, communications and optronics, and electronic warfare equipment.

The Thales Group welcomes the Indian government's decision, which signals a strengthening of the long-standing cooperation that has existed between India and France.

Denis Ranque, Thales Chairman and CEO added, "I am particularly proud of this success in India, brought about by the Armaris branch. This is the second submarine programme, after Malaysia, to which Thales contributes both technological and commercial expertise, thanks to the excellence of its international network."

Thales in India
Thales has been active in India for more than 50 years. The Group enjoys a strong cooperative relationship with the Indian armed forces and has provided equipment, systems and support for numerous platforms in service with the country's land, air and naval forces. Thales also has a strong presence in civil aviation (particularly as an equipment supplier for the Airbus airliners in service with Air India and Indian Airlines), and in the air navigation sector. Thales electronic fare collection systems have also been selected for the Delhi and Calcutta metros. As part of its multidomestic strategy, Thales recently expanded its local presence in India, setting up a new company in New Delhi in 2003. The new company, Thales International India, offers a range of IT and support services for local civil and military programmes.

Press contacts

ARMARIS press release (PDF file)

http://www.armarisgroup.com/uk/pdf/scorpindia_uk.pdf
:D

XEROX

A point of interest, can the Scorpions launch PJ-10 missiles, or would they need retrofitting for that??

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

PJ-10 BrahMos said:
A point of interest, can the Scorpions launch PJ-10 missiles, or would they need retrofitting for that??
I don't think it can. there are fitment and hardware issues. Francois might have a better idea.

on top of that, any redesign of fitments for Brahmos and Scorpene would delay the build even longer. Thats why Exocet is being fitted.

XEROX

Is it because the PJ-10 missile requires a vertical launching system platform, I guess like you said neither the Scorpion nor Kilo can accommodate it without substantial modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.