BAE Systems has begun modifying the first of the Royal Australian Navy’s ANZAC Class frigates to be upgraded under the Anti-Ship Missile Defence (ASMD) Upgrade Project.
HMAS Perth entered the Henderson dockyard in Western Australia on 18 January on schedule.
The ASMD Upgrade project is being managed by the Defence Materiel Organisation supported by BAE Systems and Saab Systems under an alliance contracting arrangement. The upgrade will significantly improve the anti-ship self-defence capabilities of the ANZAC Class by integrating:
- The leading edge CEA Phased Array Radar (PAR)
- The Vampir NG Infrared Search & Track (IRST) system
- The Sharpeye Navigation Radar Systems (NRS), and
- An upgraded Combat Management System (CMS) including an improved Operations Room layout.
Jason Beer, BAE Systems Maritime Through-Life Support General Manager, said today that the platform integration of these systems required significant structural modifications.
“This includes replacement of both the frigate’s forward and aft masts, which has required us to develop innovative design solutions to minimise the impact on the ship’s weight and stability,” he said.
Mr Beer said that BAE Systems work during the installation phase in HMAS Perth would create more than 150 highly skilled jobs at its Henderson base in WA.
“The experience gained over the past five years of designing and developing this project has enabled BAE Systems Maritime Business Unit to enhance critical skills in complex maritime combat systems integration and platform systems integration.
“These skills are crucial to maintaining the capability that will be needed for next generation naval programs such as the Future Frigate and the Offshore Combatant Vessel projects,” Mr Beer said.
BAE Systems is the premier global defence, security and aerospace company delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. With approximately 105,000 employees worldwide, BAE Systems’ sales exceeded £18.5 billion (US $34.4 billion) in 2008.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:anti frigate, anzac frigate upgrade, spanish frigate to replace anzac class frigates
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Potential of Gripen M, the naval variant...
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Scottish Independence
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- British Army News and Discussion
- The Scottish Navy
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates