WW2 Scenario Germany

swerve

Super Moderator
Hmmm.......

I somehow doubt that - had Philip II of Spain's Armada been successful - that the subsequent Catholic takeover of England would have been quite as painless and uneventful.....
No - but it would have had some English supporters. A cousin of one of my ancestors was hanged at Oxford in early 1589 for smuggling anti-Elizabeth (claiming she was illegitimate, had no right to be queen, etc.) & pro-Catholic literature into England. Beatified by the last pope in the 1980s as a "martyr". He wasn't alone.

Cooch

Not disputing the history.... just as I don't dispute that there were collaborators in Francefollowing the Nazi invasion.

I merely contend that we can make a distinction between (a) what is effectively a squabble over the titular headship between two participants - both of whom relied on foreign armies (James' Irishmen were arguably less English then, than they would be now, when Ireland is a separate republic, regardless of the common monarchy) and (b) an invasion opposed by the vast majority - including many loyal catholics - and which would have resulted in the violent overthrow of the government at all levels.

Peter (of English, Irish, and Welsh descent)