Would like to hear from an Australian Intelligence Officer (airforce/army)

Jason_M

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have been enjoying my time reading through the various forums.

I am currently applying for a postition with the Australian Defence Force as an Intelligence Offier (airforce/army)

I am hoping to hear from someone who currently or has held this position. I would like to hear about the career and lifestyle.

best regards,
Jason

Sampanviking

Banned Member
This is London

This is London

and to all our friends in Adelaide

Mother is baking a cake tonight

I repeat

Mother is baking a cake tonight..................

:D

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi,

I am new to the forum and have been enjoying my time reading through the various forums.

I am currently applying for a postition with the Australian Defence Force as an Intelligence Offier (airforce/army)

I am hoping to hear from someone who currently or has held this position. I would like to hear about the career and lifestyle.

best regards,
Jason
Do you really think any one that is an IO is going to give you any real info on the position? C'mon now..:rolleyes:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

best regards,
Jason

Hi Jason,

It's very, very unlikely that any serving intelligence officers would be inclined or even permitted to tell you anything about their jobs - in fact, I would think they're most likely forbidden from participating in any form of public discussion on topics relevant to their work.

Thus, you'll probably have to rely on whatever scant information is publicly available via ADF recruitment, as you'll certainly not get any kind of specific information discussed in a public forum.

Good luck with your application mate.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi,

best regards,
Jason
Jason I am going to reply to this not because I am willing to give you the answers you want but because I was once in your place attempting to do similar due diligence. I'm also going to ignore the fact that you mis-spelt the word 'officer' as it happens to the best of us! ;)

I would also put it to you that 'airforce intelligence' and 'army intelligence' qualify as "quintessential oxymora" but I digress......

In all seriousness what I have to say to you is this:

From my perspective applying for a job in the ADF is not like applying for a position in the commercial 'civvie' street. There is no real (quantifiable,purposeful) due diligence available that can provide you with certainty as to your long term suitability to the job.

I could regal to you antidotes from my own personal experience in the ADF but this really wont move you any closer to minimizing your perception of the 'risks' involved with signing on. Everyone's experience will be different.

There are some fairly obvious issues you should be concerning your inner dialogue with that are of a generic nature i.e How well am I able to function in a large bureaucratic organisation? What might be some of the potential issues (positive and negative) being involved in such an organisation? How well am I able to accept COC? and on and on and on.

At the end of the day you really need to come to terms with why you are interested in serving your country.

It is not going to be a decision about the specifics of the role you have chosen at this point in time.

It is very much about your ability to commit (without a whole lot of information up front) to be willing to sacrifice and say to yourself "Yes I do want this and it means something to me more than just the pay and benefits. Its part of who I am and what I believe in and where I want to go with my life."

Once you make the jump accept the fact that it is a long process. Be patient. Work hard and stick at it. It is a long road. An amazing road.

Even today I was standing in a room. Quite a special space. I was with a Commander and a Petty Officer. The PO had just moved over from the RN and the Commander said to him 'Other than marrying your wife this was the greatest decision you ever made in your life.' It was said with real conviction.

Good luck mate!

Jason_M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for all the replies.

I do understand that I would not be able to get any specific information, I understand that and would not expect it.

Thank you for the thoughts. Thank you for all the replies.

I do understand that I would not be able to get any specific information, I understand that and would not expect it.

Thank you for the thoughts, this is a role that I am very very keen on and have thought of nothing else. I am simply waiting for applications to open as they are currently closed.

I have only one other question for those serving in the ADF, how does this role affect your family life, deployments etc? I understand the ADF values family and I am not looking for specific details on postings as I know that would not be permitted. I am lucky to have a great partner who understands but I must consider my family as well.

Best regards and thanks again for all the replies.

Last edited:

Jason_M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi folks,

One mroe question for those serving in the RAAF. I understand that you are required to live on base while completing military training which is understandable. Once you move to a specific base and begin employment training (or active hold for a security clearence), are you allowed to rent off base and move the family down? or is this only permitted after emplyoment training? I could not find a clear answer on this.

Many thanks again folks.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hi folks,

One mroe question for those serving in the RAAF. I understand that you are required to live on base while completing military training which is understandable. Once you move to a specific base and begin employment training (or active hold for a security clearence), are you allowed to rent off base and move the family down? or is this only permitted after emplyoment training? I could not find a clear answer on this.

Many thanks again folks.
If you are classified MWD you will be fine to live off base for your category training so you can be with your family.