Winter uploads cool Gulf War pics!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Winter said:
What's the white scrub board on the rover in the foreground? I've seen it on some other vehicles....I thought it was some form of desert filter? The awkward position suggests different...

:frosty
maybe a sand mat?

Winter

gf0012 said:
Winter said:
What's the white scrub board on the rover in the foreground? I've seen it on some other vehicles....I thought it was some form of desert filter? The awkward position suggests different...

maybe a sand mat?
?? To have a picnic on?

Examine the Challenger 2 MBT in the thread post's image...Same appliance mounted on the turret.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
lol, no I meant a sand mat so that a 4wd can climb out of a bof.. but its a bit unlikely that a tank would want a sand mat.. ;)

No idea... too large for a vent etc...

Winter

Hmm...Could still be a ventilation system of some kind...Either that or a form of desert utensil.

Examining it more closly from Telic photos:

A pair of Challengers:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/qrl_basrah.jpg

Another WMIK:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/rirish_wmik_well.jpg

A Warrior:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/warrior_rest.jpg

A Scimitar:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/qdg_scimitar.jpg

A Four Tonner:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/rirish_truck_well.jpg

A Spartan/Sultan:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/ops/scots_welsh.jpg

They all share this...or a version of.

I also found the WMIK land rovers image (!): :roll

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/photo_gallery_training_sea.htm

What a relief.

Winter

gf0012 said:
I'm never gonna live down my faux pas with the WMIK am I Winter? :D
Hmm...I was actually thinking/hoping/knowing that the revelation of such a discovery would settle the matter, of course in my favour - whoops, err ahem, I mean, decide for yourself...Of course this thread will always be here...An eternal reminder frozen in cyberspace for all the world to see - technology is amazing isn't it?

A

Aussie Digger

Perhaps an attempt at a screen to detonate RPG warheads away from the vehicle and troops? Doesn't cover much of the vehicle though...

Winter

Aussie Digger said:
Perhaps an attempt at a screen to detonate RPG warheads away from the vehicle and troops? Doesn't cover much of the vehicle though...
A good idea Aussie Digger...A last-ditch mass issue of small, cheap RPG screens to all in-theatre vehicles to complement existing armour...Which probably explains why they haven't been painted/camoflagued...Discretionary approach to placement either to sensitive areas such as magazines or fuel tanks (Challengers, Scimitar) or just plain in the middle where an RPG might come from (Warrior, Four Tonner). Quite possible?

Any other ideas/comfirmations?

A

Aussie Digger

I know that similar temporary screens were used as far back as Vietnam on thin skinned vehicles due to the threat of RPG's. I've also previously seen photo's of SAS Land Rovers with similar "armour" from Gulf War 1 and British Army vehicles in Northern Ireland fitted with this type. The Brits do seem to be fond of it. I've also seen in a recent "Combat and Survival" Magazine that the British Army has finally gotten around to supplying British troops with "proper" armoured Land Rovers for FIBUA fighting in built up areas) operations in Iraq. About time quite frankly. Australian troops deployed with ASLAV's (Australian LAV-25's)... We've learnt not to screw around in these situations. Somalia taught us that...

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The panels are TIP's, or Thermal Identification Panels. Essentially all they do is show up as a high contrast object in thermal imaging systems. There are also panels and tapes that show high contrast under light amplification technologies (NVG's for example) used by the US . I find these items interesting in that one would never dream of using them in a real fight against a real army, sort of illustrates how LIC's can dramatically alter the tactical essence of a fighting force.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Thanks Gremlin. I had always wondered what the hell were those panels hanging on the sides of Challengers and Rovers.

profpinz

gf0012-aust said:
Not that my opinion counts :eek , but having travelled across some very ordinary roads in a "cab over" in times past, I would not select it as a vehicle design of choice for long range recce work. Its a fast way to get sea sick.
Ahh, but have you travelled in a Pinzgauer? ;)
I have a 712M (6x6, soft top.... imported into Australia for military trials in the early 70's .... the unit is basically the same as the latest NZ Pinnys but it has a petrol motor and drum brakes) and a Range Rover and on certain bush tracks and corrugated roads the Pinzgauer is far more comfortable than the RR.
The reason is because the Pinzgauer has independant suspension on all wheels (whether it be a 4 or 6 wheel drive model) as opposed to the live axles on most other 4X4's

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
profpinz said:
Ahh, but have you travelled in a Pinzgauer? ;)
I have a 712M (6x6, soft top.... imported into Australia for military trials in the early 70's .... the unit is basically the same as the latest NZ Pinnys but it has a petrol motor and drum brakes) and a Range Rover and on certain bush tracks and corrugated roads the Pinzgauer is far more comfortable than the RR.

The reason is because the Pinzgauer has independant suspension on all wheels (whether it be a 4 or 6 wheel drive model) as opposed to the live axles on most other 4X4's
I have been in a pinz, but it was a few years back. I currently own a Range Rover and I'm not sure I'd trade that in for a Pinz on a corrugated road. ;)

admittedly both vehicles have different design philosophies - and thus different client bases.

in gf's ideal world I'd have a stable. My little rangie, an OKA and a pinz for tromping around for goat work.

re the following:
profpinz said:
certain bush tracks and corrugated roads the Pinzgauer is far more comfortable than the RR.

The reason is because the Pinzgauer has independant suspension on all wheels
the rangie is all independant or did your comment refer to others?

profpinz

gf0012-aust said:
I have been in a pinz, but it was a few years back. I currently own a Range Rover and I'm not sure I'd trade that in for a Pinz on a corrugated road. ;)

admittedly both vehicles have different design philosophies - and thus different client bases.

in gf's ideal world I'd have a stable. My little rangie, an OKA and a pinz for tromping around for goat work.

re the following:

the rangie is all independant or did your comment refer to others?
Ahh... if your lucky enough to own the latest / new RR or RR Sport then yes, it's independant suspension all round, but previous generations (P38A or the Classic models) have live axles.
As a hardcore military vehicle the Pinzgauer is very comfortable, but I agree it will never compete against the new Range Rover directly, but then again I can't see the Australian Military replacing their fleet of LR's with new Rangies.;)

....but comparing "apples to apples" the current 110 LR (or similar military vehicle) which has suspension system and driveline comparable to a Classis Rangie (live axles, coils as opposed to air suspension in the P38 + etc) then I believe the Pinzgauer is as comfortable or even moreso in some cases on various tracks or roads around Australia.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
profpinz said:
....but comparing "apples to apples" the current 110 LR (or similar military vehicle) which has suspension system and driveline comparable to a Classis Rangie (live axles, coils as opposed to air suspension in the P38 + etc) then I believe the Pinzgauer is as comfortable or even moreso in some cases on various tracks or roads around Australia.
I should've added that if I was able to I'd get an ex NATO Unimog. The prices the yanks are getting them for are almost criminal.

re a 110LR and a Pinz - yes, its no contest.

as an aside I was involved with the Perentie Project and the modified S400's for Kuwait - my respect for Unimog build quality was bumped up quite a bit as a legacy of the Kuwaiti project. we added a fair bit of armour and bumped up the engine specs and they still handled like a beach buggy.