Winter uploads cool Gulf War pics!

Winter

gf0012 said:
oops.... lol, it was supposed to say - "there is no guarantee I am right"

phat phingerz.... lol
I know, I know...

Perhaps it's not 'phat phingerz,' but the keyboard is too small? ;)

I heard this: 'Chocolate Makes My Clothes Shrink.'

Sums it up...?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
After all of this checking and rechecking I reckon you may be right. Mea Culpa. ;)

I was sooooooo sure... Guess I won't get a job doing strat photo analysis... :D

Winter

gf0012 said:
The LH Gun mount is also the same type and in the same position as the Ranger RSOV Landrovers.
Editing your post with that comment caught me off balance...

The Ranger SOV Land Rover:

Are you 'soooooo sure' those are LH Gun Mounts?

I cannot vouch for the reliability of these pages, however, they both mention (probably from the same source) that the RSOV can only mount the M-60, the M240, the M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun and/or the Mk19 grenade launcher, not the 7.62mm GPMG...Though it could rigged I suppose...Though I don't see why:

http://www.ballistic-studios.com/sov.asp
http://www.specwarnet.com/vehicles/rsov.htm

The upper roll cages are the same I believe also.

'The (British) Wolf WMIK (Weapons Mounting Installation Kit) is the British Armed Forces' version of the SOV, it is basically the same as the American SOV, however, each vehicle has country-specific modifications. These modifications include Radio systems, weapons systems, Seating positions (right hand drive for the UK, left hand drive for the US) and many other classified modifications.

Weapons mount:

The WMIK allows for the mounting of:
1 x .50 calibre M2HB Machine Gun Or
1 x Milan Anti Tank Guided Missile Or
1 x MR TRIGAT Anti Tank Guided Missile And
2 x 7.62 mm General Purpose Machine guns
Racks for 3 x Reloads of ATGM Missile system
Racks for Small arms
Spare Ammunition'

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, I believe the upper role cages are the same. IIRC they were originally a smaller version of the roll cages that are on the Aussie SAS 6x6 Landrovers. The UK then liked the SROV design they ordered 200 for themselves.

I've got some Aussie SAS Landrover pics if you want to post them up, I've run out of space at my location so I'd need to send them to you for posting on here.

It will be in about 5 hrs once this post hits the forum as I'm not at my normal location

Nice designs on those Landies, the US also has some other Ranger vehicles I've seen which were cut downs and painted matte black,

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the old Landies, they climb like a billy goat.. ;)

Winter

gf0012 said:
Yep, I believe the upper role cages are the same. IIRC they were originally a smaller version of the roll cages that are on the Aussie SAS 6x6 Landrovers. The UK then liked the SROV design they ordered 200 for themselves.

I've got some Aussie SAS Landrover pics if you want to post them up, I've run out of space at my location so I'd need to send them to you for posting on here.

It will be in about 5 hrs once this post hits the forum as I'm not at my normal location

Nice designs on those Landies, the US also has some other Ranger vehicles I've seen which were cut downs and painted matte black,

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the old Landies, they climb like a billy goat.. ;)
Those Aussie pictures will be fine, thanks. ;)

I believe one of my previous links as quoted: 'The British MOD then also purchased a large amount of the SOV's, but only the upper weapons mounting roll-cage, and the associated weapons mounts for other parts of the vehicle. This became known as the Weapons Mounting Installation Kit, or WMIK for short.' So yep, I guess they are the same.

Any third parties offer an opinion on the picture?

Winter

Someone else is bound to contribute a phalanx of images of the Australian military...So I guess I'll scout for some of that wee Jedi apprentice, New Zealand...Webbie --> However, the other world directory has few albums, for example, the air forces section contains only a 'fighters' directory.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Winter, Send me an email address and I'll email you the Aussie Specops landrovers pics.

The Kiwis are going to Pinzgauers now, cab over 6wd's. Same little truck that the Brit SAS are ordering.

Winter

gf0012 said:
Winter, Send me an email address and I'll email you the Aussie Specops landrovers pics.

The Kiwis are going to Pinzgauers now, cab over 6wd's. Same little truck that the Brit SAS are ordering.
May take a while to load...

Kiwi Special Forces Pinzgauer:

Damn...Jogs my memory...It resembles those 'land rovers' in that so-very controversial picture...Must be the paint job and roll cage. At least it's not debatable about who's driving the damn thing in the picture this time. :roll

But who's taking the photograph?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not that my opinion counts :eek , but having travelled across some very ordinary roads in a "cab over" in times past, I would not select it as a vehicle design of choice for long range recce work. Its a fast way to get sea sick.

I much prefer the standard of having engines in front rather than underneath - especially on corrugated roads.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
the hummer was originally designed to follow in the tracks of an Abrams (so as to avoid mines), so its probably a bit of overkill for NZ. I think the only armour they have left now are the LAV 111's.

A

Aussie Digger

Those vehicles are British Royal Marine Defenders WKIM's. they are conducting a range shoot at this point, they would never be that close to each other in actual combat, otherwise that grenade would certainly have devasting results... They are wearing a mix of British Desert and normal "Green Army" DPM's. They have to be British. One of the soldiers is clearly armed with an SA-80. Who else would use such a piece of crap? Soliders on exchange don't take their weapons with them either. They use the unit's weapons their on exchange with. We had a US Marine Company embedded with us for a while in Townsville. They loved our Steyrs, Minimi's and Mag 58's... Btw somebody mentioned the US Rangers use the M240G on their vehicles. The M240G is a US (some say inferior) copy of the MAG 58 7.62mm GPMG. That New Zealand 6x6 looks pretty cool. They are also buying 4x4 Recon vehicles that will come with an armoured package. I wonder if the Kiwi's will use the 6x6 as a "mothership" in the same manner as the Aussie SASR uses cut down Unimogs?

A

Aussie Digger

Oh and I think those Chinooks are Aussie 5 Aviation Regiment Helo's, over Iraq too. I remember seeing this photo before somewhere.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
Those vehicles are British Royal Marine Defenders WKIM's. they are conducting a range shoot at this point, they would never be that close to each other in actual combat, otherwise that grenade would certainly have devasting results... They are wearing a mix of British Desert and normal "Green Army" DPM's. They have to be British. One of the soldiers is clearly armed with an SA-80. Who else would use such a piece of crap? Soliders on exchange don't take their weapons with them either. They use the unit's weapons their on exchange with. We had a US Marine Company embedded with us for a while in Townsville. They loved our Steyrs, Minimi's and Mag 58's... Btw somebody mentioned the US Rangers use the M240G on their vehicles. The M240G is a US (some say inferior) copy of the MAG 58 7.62mm GPMG. That New Zealand 6x6 looks pretty cool. They are also buying 4x4 Recon vehicles that will come with an armoured package. I wonder if the Kiwi's will use the 6x6 as a "mothership" in the same manner as the Aussie SASR uses cut down Unimogs?
There you go Winter.. you were right.. :D I should have rolled over when the SA-80 came up earlier... mea culpa!

btw haven't the brits decided to go with the minimi as well? It will be interesting to see what specwar chariots we will buy next , it kind of makes the Pinzgauers the logical choice, although I HATE riding in Cab Over vehicles, especially on bumpy roads.

A-D Aren't the brits still using Mogs as mother ships?

A

Aussie Digger

The Brits certainly do still use Mogs as Motherships. They have decided to acquire Minimi LSW's. They are going to acquire enough to issue 1x minimi per section for their Infantry Battalions, Royal Marines and the RAF Regiment(British equivelent of Adgies...) They are going to continue to use 1x SA-80 LSW per section for most sections though some will apparently continue to use the L7 Mag 58 GPMG instead of the SA-80 LSW, due to the greater firepower and range, despite the weight and different ammunition. The Brits have also recently introduced a 40mm grenade launcher for the SA-80 as well. Now all they need is Auscam and they will appear to be exactly the same light Infantry as us...

A

Aussie Digger

And as for the specwarops vehicles? Who knows? 4RAR have just acquired a new fleet of Landrover Defender 110 RSV's and quad's etc, so they'll be around for a while. I'm betting it will be a series of 4x4 and 6x6 vehicles that are able to mount the same weapons and equipment as our present vehicles plus probably the next generation of support weapons such as the 25mm crew support weapon I've heard of (basically a cut down 25mm Bushmaster Cannon as I understand it...) Such a weapon would be a great replacement for 0.50Cal Machine guns and Mk -19 AGL's. It would provide some good local air defence protection as well...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
To be fair on the HOS the SA-80, the 2nd Generation model that was fixed by H&K has passed durability tests at a higher rating than the M16/4's and the Gnn's in H&K

They are suposed to be remarkably better weaps.

So, should we lay bets on Pinzgauers being the next specwar chariots?

A

Aussie Digger

Well it'll depend very much on Project Overlander, so I'm not willing to place bets on the pinzgauer just yet. I can't see the Special Operations Command getting a completely different vehicle to the rest of the Army. A heavily modified version, yes, but not wholly different. They will probably get a vehicle that is able to incorporate an armour package, and have mine resistant capabilities though, in light of Sgt Andrew Russell's tragic demise in Afganistan. :( On the SA-80 though, I read some reports on the SA-80 Mk2. It's apparently a much better weapon than the initial version, but it couldn't be much worse could it? The first time the British Army deployed to a war with they ended up reverting to SLR's, because quite frankly it couldn't operate in the field. It was fantastic on the range though I hear...

Winter

What's the white scrub board on the rover in the foreground? I've seen it on some other vehicles....I thought it was some form of desert filter? The awkward position suggests different...

:frosty