Will China beat US to Mars ?!?!

Khamosh Mujahid

shamayel said:
This is a discussion about China Vs. USA to the red planet....NOT China and USA battling it out in a war. :cop
If you had read the "signs" carefully, you should've seen statements by US senators and other politicians that all this scientific research makes US the one and only kind to have control over space and it is also "morally correct" to do so against other worldly evils...

:eek

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think the US would win a race to Mars with China without question. There is currently no other ogranization in the world that compares to NASA. Does this mean China is a "bad country" or "inferior"? Absolutely not. In fact, the Chinese are quite industrious and intelligent and have all of the needed components to build a highly successful space program that could rival or even eclipse NASA.

Indus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
shamayel said:
This is a discussion about China Vs. USA to the red planet....NOT China and USA battling it out in a war. :cop
For the US, this is an all out war to not let anyone get ahead of them in anything, including establishing a presence on Mars. If that means finding a pretext to going to war with China (i.e. if China moves on Taiwan) than that's what they might use in the not so distant future. In this next century, whoever controls space will pretty much control the world.. and not to mention will establish the rites of passage to control Mars.
For China, they are just trying strive for excellence and compete with the most advanced countries b/c they are capable of it. Not to mention to trying to limit US hegemony.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have to disagree with you on the US wanting a pretext to war with China Indus. In fact I can say without doubt that China is the last country on Earth that the US would want to fight for a multitude of reasons. I do agree that whomever gets control of space will control the planet, but more of in an economic sense than a political sense.

ullu

Gremlin29 said:
I think the US would win a race to Mars with China without question. There is currently no other ogranization in the world that compares to NASA. Does this mean China is a "bad country" or "inferior"? Absolutely not. In fact, the Chinese are quite industrious and intelligent and have all of the needed components to build a highly successful space program that could rival or even eclipse NASA.
Agreed. China doesn't have the base and institution like NASA to land man on Mooon, mars is to far fetched. Maybe in another 15-20 years China will have enough experience to go for the man mission to mars.

Winter

ullu said:
Agreed. China doesn't have the base and institution like NASA to land man on Mooon, mars is to far fetched. Maybe in another 15-20 years China will have enough experience to go for the man mission to mars.
That's if China maintains it's strong heading, of course...As long they don't fade or hesitate like NASA after the Apollo program had been completed and just continue with a few probes, a couple manned pleasure orbits, etc...The sky's the limit. : )

:frosty

Indus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. China doesn't have the base and institution like NASA to land man on Mooon, mars is to far fetched. Maybe in another 15-20 years China will have enough experience to go for the man mission to mars.[/quote]

THat's what I'm saying. The US goal is to have a man on Mars by 2030. DIdn't you hear that in the news - Bush's speech. If China does it w/i 20yrs they will have beat US.

Winter

Indus said:
ullu said:

THat's what I'm saying. The US goal is to have a man on Mars by 2030. DIdn't you hear that in the news - Bush's speech. If China does it w/i 20yrs they will have beat US.
China won't have man of Mars in 15-20 years time...if anything, that's when they'll initiate the years-long program to go...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Life once existed on Mars, Australian scientists say

Australian scientists believe they have found evidence that life once existed on Mars.

They have found that microscopic fossils of primitive bacteria-like organisms in a Mars meteorite match characteristics of bacteria found in mud in Queensland.

The research is published today in the Journal of Microscopy.

One of the scientists, Dr Tony Taylor from the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, says he expects his work will spark intense debate.

"The fossils that we have in the meteorite are the original material - the only difference is that you need a very high-powered electron microscope to image them, to see them and basically whenever we find these fossils here on Earth, no one ever questions they were made by bacteria," he said.

"The only difference is that it was in a meteorite from Mars."

Dr Taylor says he has found enough evidence of life on Mars to warrant a manned mission to the red planet and that more samples must now be collected from Mars for further investigation.

"We've now got enough evidence to warrant a sample retrieval mission and I believe it's going to be a matter of developing the technology to get authentic pieces of Mars back here on Earth where we can subject them to the really high-tech high resolution instruments that you can't possibly put on Mars," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1033640.htm

This should motivate a few more people about going to Mars.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What would be an interesting combination is the swiss UAV using a new UAV artificial intelligence programme developed by the DSTO in Australia.

If they are looking at autonomous control then it could be a marriage of convenience.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Looks like from the Article you posted GF, that Aussies are also interested in Mars. It would be a good oppurtunity for SFIT and DSTO to get together and help us learn more about closet planet to earth! :idea2 Perhaps help NASA in the process as well. :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've already emailed a copy of that article off to people I know - just in case they weren't aware of what the swiss are doing. its a funny environment sometimes, these groups sometimes find out what is happening through the media. a little strange but unfortunately true at times.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Say, they don't have any means of communication between them incase something of mutual interest comes up? Strange!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
lol, yeah, thats why the US military developed the internet - so that scientists could talk to each other.

I've been on a couple of projects where weapons technology developed in one country was unknown in another, and yet there is a "sharing treaty" in place. The funny thing was that the technology was common knowledge with the weapons guys but was unknown to the boffins.

just goes to show how even the smartest orgs can make "human" mistakes.. ;)

A

Aussie Digger

The US will get to Mars first if they want to. If Dubya comes out and states unequivocably that the US WILL get there first and then backs up the speech with the necessary resources, like JFK did (when he said the US WILL get to the Moon first), no-one else could possibly beat America there. Whether it's a high priority or not will determine who gets there first. Cheers.

The Watcher

Dubya isn't as interested in Space as he is in Oil, etc. If he gets reelected, his main focus would be Iraq and how to get out of it. That speech about Mars, etc. was just a political JFK wanna be ploy!

For china to go for Mars, first it must land a man on Moon and prove its expertise in space.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Yeah Watcher is right. This American president really tries to be a showman. He just wanted to rustle up some emotions to get some votes in return. Typical politician.