Which branch of the Armed Forces should I join?

JPMorris

I am currently in high school and have a passion for aviation but also love the special forces side of the military. Which branch of service would be the best if I wanted to do either one?

VerySneaky

I am currently in high school and have a passion for aviation but also love the special forces side of the military. Which branch of service would be the best if I wanted to do either one?
That is a very broad question and without knowing which country you are from, or which particular area of aviation or role you'd be interested in I don't think you're going to get an easy answer.

I would suggest though, that before entering the military you make a decision as to which specific role you are most interested in and devote yourself to researching it as much as possible so that you are as informed as you can be. Entering for the sake of it and figuring that 'you'll decide once you're in' would be a very risky road as you risk the possibility of having to fulfill a minimum service period in a role that you hate.

Figure out what you want and then work towards getting there. Both the special forces and aviation are very difficult areas to get into (some roles more than other depending on specialty) so I highly doubt you're going to be in a pick-and-choose situation anyway.

JPMorris

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I am from the US and if I were to go into aviation I would most likely shoot for for test pilot school (no particular branch). I also have a college scholarship and hope to do some form of ROTC (Reserve officer training corps) while I'm there. On the other hand, if I were to shoot for special forces I don't know which branch is the best.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Well, I am from the US and if I were to go into aviation I would most likely shoot for for test pilot school (no particular branch). I also have a college scholarship and hope to do some form of ROTC (Reserve officer training corps) while I'm there. On the other hand, if I were to shoot for special forces I don't know which branch is the best.
If you’re an American and you don’t know what kind of service you want to do then your best bet is to join the US Navy because they have all forms of service within their structure. They have:

An air force (Naval Aviation)
An army (US Marine Corps, which also has an air force)
Special Forces (SEALs and for non-super people small boats and riverine warfare. USMC has more special forces as well)
And of course a navy

The best bet for you right now if you’re in high school is to join the Junior ROTC. It will give you some real exposure to service life and help you decide what you want to do when you’re an adult.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Which ever one appeals to you.

You've no idea whether you'll really like it or not until you're in that organisation, but if something doesn't appeal to you now, there's a good chance joining that organisation will reinforce that feeling.

Sometimes that changes, but if you don't like something before you even start, your motivation isn't going to be great...

colay

Why not satisfy both your passion and love and aspire to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment?

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
You should settle on a branch that you will be happy with irrespective of your job. Aviation and SF regardless of branch are the most selective career paths in the military, odds are you will not be selected for either or. That doesn't mean you should stop pursuing your goal, but you should first understand that neither are something you simply choose.

What you should consider between the branches is the role officers play in those communities, and how officer career paths are constructed within them. If you are serious about SF or aviation and want to make the most of a military career you should be seriously trying to get an appointment to a US military academy.

Which is best? There's no such thing. I can assure of one thing, neither job/community is anything at all as you would imagine.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe after "Thunder Run" airs in cinemas next year more people get interested into Heavy Metal stuff and not always just special forces and pilots... ;)

PCShogun

I was always told the U.S. Air Force was the service that made the most sense; They send the officers up to get shot at while the enlisted stay behind where its safer. :p:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But they get all the chicks and return to a nice shower and bed after a mission, so it's a worthy sacrifice.

Special Forces can't even talk about their job and may sit for days and weeks in some muddy hole at the other end of the world...

PO2GRV

i think one big thing to never forget is have a plan B or C especially for those interested in special programs. For example I've known people that joined the Navy with Aircrew in their contract and then for whatever reason they cannot get the program and choose to take the separation instead of just staying in and doing something else. If you dont get the special forces program you want, or you wash out, or you DOR there's always plenty of ways to stay in, do a good job, make a difference and get some good perks in return

regardless of which service you choose, appreciate the good, deal with the bad and don't squander your opportunity. I remember being in basic and having one of the RDC's tell the division how lucky we were to even be in the military. Theres a countless number of people out there who want to get in but can't.

Or like me, walked away and arent allowed back :(