What you should know about Malaysian names

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I've accompanied my wife to an International Symposium in Kuala Lumpur recently. In the opening speech, the host (a Norwegian) adressed my wife by her father's name, Mrs. Abdullah. This cause a little commotion as the host were using feminine honorific to address a male name. What many people all over the world doesn't know is, in Malaysian malay society, there's no family names. Children are named before their father's name not before their family's name. So please be advice.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I've accompanied my wife to an International Symposium in Kuala Lumpur recently. In the opening speech, the host (a Norwegian) adressed my wife by her father's name, Mrs. Abdullah. This cause a little commotion as the host were using feminine honorific to address a male name. What many people all over the world doesn't know is, in Malaysian malay society, there's no family names. Children are named before their father's name not before their family's name. So please be advice.
can you give some examples and then I'll lock the thread.

regds

gf

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
can you give some examples and then I'll lock the thread.

regds

gf
Example : Latifah binti Osman. Usually they do away with binti and just write Latifah Osman.

Latifah - her name; binti - mean's Daughter of, for Male it's bin mean's Son of; Osman - Her father's name;. This also true for ethnic Tamil Indians and most non-Malay natives (Orang Asli, Iban, Kadazan..) but not for ethnic Chinese and ethnic Punjabi Indians or some Christian Non-Malay natives.

Last edited:

STURM

What many people all over the world doesn't know is, in Malaysian malay society, there's no family names.
There are key exceptions, like the Marican clan for example, and Pakistani Malaysians, many of whom have a family name.