what is the name of this anti-aircraft machine gun ? and when it's made?

OPERATOOOR

hello guys,,

i need to know the name of this anti-aircraft

i found this name label on it

thank you

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a ZU-23-2. Not a machinegun but a 23mm twin-linked autocannon.

Jhom

thank you for replay

the ammo used is 30mm not 23mm, so i think it's another type that's why i have asked
Are you sure about the ammo??, because as Feanor says it looks rather similar to a ZU-23-2... and the only twin barreled AA gun that I know that isnt 23mm is a 25mm chinese mod of the ZU-23-2...

SASWanabe

going from its pretty clear Soviet/Russian design and its 30mm caliber, the only option is its a version of the the 2A38 AA-cannon as used on Tunguska AA systems.

then again, the barrels dont look Disimilar to those used on the Slovak BRAMS AA system

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
going from its pretty clear Soviet/Russian design and its 30mm caliber, the only option is its a version of the the 2A38 AA-cannon as used on Tunguska AA systems.

then again, the barrels dont look Disimilar to those used on the Slovak BRAMS AA system
Except that the 2A38 isn't available on a separate mount. The ZU-23-2 on the other hand is extremely common throughout the third world. OPERATOOOR how do you know it's a 30mm?

SASWanabe

purely speculation here but the North Koreans are known to produce a 30mm version of the ZU-23-4. could be a NK version of a ZU-23-2 :confused:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
An interesting picture. It isn't a standard Soviet/Chinese ZPU-2 14.5mm or ZSU-23-2 23mm AA gun but it might be a home made knock off. The guns on the mounting look a lot like KPV 14.5mm HMGs.

I doubt it is a DPRK 30mm twin AA gun because the 30mm guns on their SPAAG look very different. Also it is very small to handle high velocity 30mm rounds. It is most certainly not the 2A38 30mm because this is a Gast gun using twin barrels on a single gun with each barrel firing alternatively as the weapon is the rounds are loaded and extracted (each barrel and chamber is linked by a cam and are mounted on a single receiver).

My money would be on a home made knock off of the ZPU-2 which has certainly been trashed.

OPERATOOOR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
30 mm ammo, not e ZPU-2 14.5mm or ZSU-23-2 23mm

thanks guys for replay

this is the ammo cartidge for this gun

img103.herosh.com/2011/09/19/676298432.jpg

http://img101.herosh.com/2011/09/19/870121755.jpg

http://img102.herosh.com/2011/09/19/835323890.jpg

please see this one and see the lable on it

http://img102.herosh.com/2011/09/19/486172840.jpg

finally , i don't think it's Russian made coz there's no Russian words on in , i found this instruction on it maybe will help

http://img105.herosh.com/2011/09/19/970060084.jpg

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait is this thing sitting in YOUR garage? Oh that's so cool.

How do you know the ammo goes to that weapon? Have you tried loading it?

Jhom

Can you take a clear picture of the twin cannons?? not the whole system but only the barrels, that would help a lot...

OPERATOOOR

new photos

Feanor , not exactly in my garage, but in neighbor's workshop :D

Can you take a clear picture of the twin cannons?? not the whole system but only the barrels, that would help a lot...
i hope those photo will help

isn't it UK or USA made ?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Want me to solve?

Going from the ammunition (30x210B) that is a Romanian "A436" / Model 80 twin 30mm AA gun. Uses two 1950s Soviet NN-30 naval 30mm revolver cannons. The guns are otherwise commonly used in the AK-230 naval twin 30mm mount.

Never seen a pic of one btw.

Last edited:

WolfC.lupus

I would hate to be on the other end of that, looks really impressive and I'm sure it's quite capable with a well trained crew. How effective would these be against the armour of modern day main battle tanks?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Were they ever exported? Because they have english text...
To Liberia. SIPRI mentions AA guns delivered in 1987 as part of a larger deal without saying what type; however Romania only had the A436 as standard AA gun back then (they've added some Skyguards since then). Would fit the ammo probably being from 1986 too.

@OP: Be careful with that ammo btw. As far as i can make out that's live HE-FRAG ammo with fuzes, not training ammunition ("UOR" = HE-FRAG AA, no sign of a "IN" or similar for inert ammo).

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
OK, I will ask the obvious questions then, since where I come from, neighbours don't have AA guns, PERIOD.

Where do you live, Operatooor? I see palm trees... Middle East?

Is the weapon and the ammo "live"?

How did your neighbour come to have a AA gun in his garage?

:)

OPERATOOOR

Libya

hello again, and thanks for replay

first of all i were just kidding about neighbor workshop :cool:

okay, i will explain this gun we have found in near Tripoli - Libya.

i don't know if this gun can reused by freedom fighters here in Libya against Gaddafi troops, coz they don't have experience with it.

also, this gun i don't think it's a navy ,coz it's trailed on 4 wheel . and i didn't find similar one in internet ?

finally , this gun is in workshop that arranged by NTC in libya and The Free Libya Armed Forces.

forgive me for my bad english , and have a nice day.

be away from wars